Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by kungfucop (10 years ago)

Post #194 Brake release mod Posted by edgewerx (9 years ago)

Post #196 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #216 elbow mod Instructions Posted by chrisjens2 (9 years ago)

Post #222 Triangle hinge & bolt mod Instructions Posted by leesparts (8 years ago)

Post #238 Swivel Tee mod instructions Posted by pinwiztom (8 years ago)

Post #384 Bimini hinge mod Posted by harryhoudini (6 years ago)

Post #594 Bimini Cap Mod Instructions Posted by Daditude (5 years ago)

Post #1036 Adjustment for table not lifting Posted by SirMachismo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#267 8 years ago

Why not just buy an actual pinball dolly, instead of all these "modifications", parts slipping, reverse engineering, etc.? They are still available, unless you need the lift for other items.

#275 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Please submit your $200 or less 'actual pinball dolly' that is readily available nationwide.. go

Price and quality do not always go together.
    You can go cheap, and it will not last.
    Just like all tools.

I bought another used WICO (fluid cylinder) at auction for $150 about a year+ ago.
    They are still floating around all sorts of shops, and people get ready to throw them out because they do not know how they are used.
    You have to look for them and make an offer.
    Gave it to another collector who needed one that kept using kitchen chairs instead, as I felt bad.
    Does that count?

You can make one for $200 out of steel and gas shock based on designs available if you have access to a metal and welding shop.
    Even cheaper if you use hard wood, and are much lighter, but no where near as durable.

All the new ones I have seen are around $350 or so, which I believe are overpriced based on materials.
    Closest one I have seen to WICOs are Penguin, http://penguinamusement.com/details.php?pid=penguin_dolly.
    I am not partial to Harbor Freight Tools, which has nothing to do with this lift.

I was not making fun of anyone here, I just wondered what the real advantage was of this lift in terms of pinball.
    I have seen a couple of really interesting designs for dolly lifts that can transport upright too, but I cannot seem to find them for sale anywhere, nor a design or patent.

Not sure why you feel to need to target your opinions at me.
    There was nothing grievous about my comments.

#279 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

As you replied, there is no answer - hence why people pursue this option... And answering your question.
    Find one available at auction is not viable for someone wanting one on demand.

I did.

If you cannot find a WICO, build your own for well under $200 out of steel or wood, and a gas shock or related device.
    There is your "in demand" option and you are "money concerned".

Here is just one example: http://www.biltronix.com/pinball_dolly.html
    This one does not use a hydraulic shock and is all wood.

Here is another: http://pinballmachinesworld.com/tag/dolly/
    This one is steel and uses a Sears jack and "cage" design, and has proper wheels.
    It is a "pump" action for raising.

Yet another using the same jack ($90) and a wooden rack: http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/dolly/dolly.html

There are plenty of other designs out there, and many are adjustable for height via different methods.
    I have seen all sorts of things over the years, especially if people like to tinker and build things, such as mentioned in this post.

All work just as well.
    I am just "old school" and use the original tools that have worked for decades.
    My WICO is nearly 30 years old, and still going strong, although I have replaced several cylinders.

If you cannot get a machine onto a dolly, then lifting the machine up artificially is not an advantage.
    Necessity is the mother of invention, if cost is a factor.

#280 8 years ago
    Quoted from kungfucop:

If you are repeatedly propping up the machines, you'll need to wear shoes if you don't want sore feet.

Are there a lot of people who work on pinball machines barefoot in the world?
    I learned something new today.

#286 8 years ago

$135 NOT on sale with FREE shipping (just need some extension slats for additional perpendicular directional height):
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950190000P
    Not sure how this is inferior product, it is a Craftman with a lifetime warranty, I have one in my shop, owned it for years, and it is rated to 1500 lbs.
    Been around for a while now.
    It has been used by 100s of "pinheads" over the last 10 years, with plenty of posts under consideration.

spin_prod_206636901_(resized).jpgspin_prod_206636901_(resized).jpg

Here is the one I like, special build out off off a dolly with mounting extension leg.
    I cannot find a mechanical design plan from 2009.

Different version of basically same thing (using a criss-cross sectional beam support) using a regular dolly.
    This made by an EM collector.
    Essential taking two dollys and extending them together.
    It looks like he is using a spring lock bar for the "catch".
    If it can support EMs, it can support the weight of most machines.

karry2_(resized).jpgkarry2_(resized).jpg

Technically, you could use a regular heavy duty dolly, four extension support legs with heavy wheels and two locking mechanisms.
    I would probably use a swing cross bar on either side for additional locking strength.
    This would allow anyone to go from upright position to leg mounting position, and still allow mobility in either position, single handed.
    Lock the front legs and casters, tip it forward and do the same thing.
    It would also require minimal angle iron.
    Designable in function in about one day, you already had the dimensions and the right type of cart to drill made from solid steel.
    Otherwise you would have to weld extensions onto the dolly.

There are plenty of other ways to solve this problem.

#288 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Can the plywood bottom of the cabinet support the weight adequately? I always thought when lifting pinballs you needed to catch the sides.

All cabinets in good repair can support the weight.
    WICO dollys do not straddle the sides as most similar designed dollys, to allow quick reposition under the machine.
    Sometimes older machines where the slotting of the cabinets or the glue has broken down (EMs and even some Early SS WMS/Bally/Stern/Gottlieb/Zaccaria or anything other age machine), you just stick a couple of 2X4s on the dolly for extra support, and you are done.
    If a cabinet bottom is getting weak, it is time to replace the bottom panel, especially with EMs and the primary source of components, or do what some do and "double up" the construction using basic cabinetry woodworking skills without removing the "guts".

1 month later
    #315 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

My F350 truck has a pretty high bed so I had to find a lift that went up higher than most. I ended up with this one from Northern Tool and love it. It feels much higher quality than the harbor freight ones and it lifts 50 inches high! Yes it's twice the price but my back is worth it.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631992_200631992

44499_1_700x700_(resized).jpg

I guess you don't have any problems putting legs on with that stand, the "cherry picker" pinball lift.

2 months later
    #347 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Since I want to buy a pinball mover but don't want to start a new thread, which one of these is better? I want the easiest to use that will get my machine high enough for easy unboxing in the future or for future moves.
    ebay.com link » Pinball Machine Lift And Moving Dolly Cart
    ebay.com link » Heavy Duty Pinball Lift Dolly Cart Made In The U S A

These dollies listed on Ebay are the same lift based on specifications.
    They are the not the same level of "heavy duty" as original WICO dollies, based on cased framed construction.
    WICO dollies last forever, and were the industry standard for decades.

To understand, there are various types of "lift" mechanisms used on pinball machines.
    Dolleys, lifts, tables all have similar functionality, but not necessarily designed optimally for pinball use or at least not without modification.

The "Pinball Lifter" is a much cheaper version using a Sears motorcycle jack, generally modified with a wood slat frame for additional height.
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950190000P
    They generally have a good warranty.

Here is another serious dolley, that outperforms WICO and the HFLT.
    It is called the "Yellow Jacket" as is an EXCELLENT lift mechanism and ratio of weight.
    http://www.pinballmedic.net/yellow_jacket_pinball_dolly.html

Many collectors just build their own.
    http://www.biltronix.com/pinball_dolly.html
    Its cheap, and easy to construct.
    The only reasonable objection is bulk, not weight.

If you want to be "really cheapo", you could just buy a hydraulic car jack, but I don't recommend that direction.
    About the only advantage is portability, but you cannot move machines with that device properly.

You do not aggravate back problems, if you use any pinball dolly/pinball lifter/lifting table correctly.
    I have back problems from combat, and do not have issues with my WICO which I have used for nearly 30 years.

If a new collector owns more than half a dozen machines, a dolley is not an optional pinball accessory.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xtheblackknightx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tu=xtheblackknightx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.