Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by kungfucop (10 years ago)

Post #194 Brake release mod Posted by edgewerx (9 years ago)

Post #196 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #216 elbow mod Instructions Posted by chrisjens2 (9 years ago)

Post #222 Triangle hinge & bolt mod Instructions Posted by leesparts (8 years ago)

Post #238 Swivel Tee mod instructions Posted by pinwiztom (8 years ago)

Post #384 Bimini hinge mod Posted by harryhoudini (6 years ago)

Post #594 Bimini Cap Mod Instructions Posted by Daditude (5 years ago)

Post #1036 Adjustment for table not lifting Posted by SirMachismo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 11 years ago

This thread encouraged me to get my cart mods done. I'd prefer a folding handle, but without the hinge this is a very sturdy setup:

Start to finish:

Stock cart setup
    IMG_6727.jpgIMG_6727.jpg

Parts: 3/4" nipple and 45 degree elbow (two each)
    IMG_6728.jpgIMG_6728.jpg

Secure the elbow to nipple real tight like so...
    IMG_6731.jpgIMG_6731.jpg

Take it to a grinding wheel and cut down the threads and center shaft until it fits in the cart base (took me about 2-3 minutes of grinding)
    IMG_6730.jpgIMG_6730.jpg

Locked in a vice
    IMG_6735.jpgIMG_6735.jpg

Then ground out the inside threads (pure luck I had that grinding bit that fit PERFECT inside IMG_6736.jpgIMG_6736.jpg

cont.

#54 11 years ago

cont.

Test fit everything, then sure with base hardware
    IMG_6733.jpgIMG_6733.jpg

Had to grind a little of the nubs from the handle to make a clean connection
    IMG_6742.jpgIMG_6742.jpg

Drilled my holes to secure the handles
    IMG_6743.jpgIMG_6743.jpg

Final setup with foam pipe insulation to protect cabinet from handles
    IMG_6745.jpgIMG_6745.jpg

**Actually not final, may change out the handle bolts with pins so I can store this flat in lieu of hinges. Or modify further with hinges, but I'm thinking no as it reduces stability.

Hope this helps someone...

Brian

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Here's my setup with carriage bolts and plastic wing nuts.

Nice, digging your chunky wingnuts!

1 week later
    #84 11 years ago
    Quoted from loren3233:

Bought the table on sale and used the 20% discount as well....came to 127.99
    Like others I decided to make a few changes to the cart.
    I cut off the original handle mounts and welded on a good base for for my new handle mount.
    I like this setup because I am able to have the handle locked in a vertical position or I can have the handle fold back away from the underside of the pin when I am moving pin from point A to point B or I have to quick pull pins that I can remove to lay handle on top of the table itself for storage when not in use..

I like the mounts, but don't have the welding tools/skill yet to make this.

Where did you get the parts?

1 month later
    3 years later
    #266 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Question on the original mod:
    I got the nipples and the elbows (haha), now I am having troubles:
    1. I cannot get the nipples to screw tight into the cart. What did you use to do this?
    2. When I got the mod screwed in there, it looks like I don't have enough slack in the hydraulic line to put the handle bars into the elbow. How did you get more slack?
    3. What did you use to grind down the threads in the elbow so that the handlebar could fit in there?
    Thanks so much for posting this idea!

See my post on page 2 (3rd post down). That should answer your questions...

Brian

#268 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Why not just buy an actual pinball dolly, instead of all these "modifications", parts slipping, reverse engineering, etc.? They are still available, unless you need the lift for other items.

1. We like customizing stuff, including adding a folding handle to store it neatly under a pin.
    2. We're spending less
    3. We can lift other items

#290 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've moved over 30 machines (standard and widebody) and haven't had a problem. Two games had flimsy bottoms that were falling out, so I just used 2x4's to support those.

Same here; I moved about the same number of pins on my HF cart. Not a single issue.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
    #310 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What kind of a drill bit do I need to get through the 45 deg elbow and the handle bar so I can put a bolt in place when I want the handle attached and can remove easily when I want the handle off for transport?image_(resized).jpeg

Hey I recognize that foot ... it's mine.

I just used a drill bit equal the the diameter of the bolt I was using. Rough guess is 3/8" ... maybe 5/16".

#311 8 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I ended up with this one from Northern Tool and love it. It feels much higher quality than the harbor freight ones and it lifts 50 inches high! Yes it's twice the price but my back is worth it.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631992_200631992

44499_1_700x700_(resized).jpg

I now have lift envy.

Honestly though ... it looks to be the same lift, but with an extra segment in the scissor mech. I'm pretty happy with the quality of the HF lift actually.

#312 8 years ago

Anyone have a recommendation on replacement wheels that are just a little bigger/cushier than the stock HF wheels? I transport my pins around the back of my house across patio block and things are a bit bouncy as is.

3 months later
    #340 7 years ago

When it's not serving my pinball hobby...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 year later
    #375 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

Anyone with the Harbor Freight lift run into an issue where the table won't lower? Mine is stuck at the max height and nothing I can do will get it to budge. I'm out of ideas and welcome to suggestions.

Have you checked the cable/release linkage? Also have you checked that the safety stops are not lowered?

2 years later
    #681 4 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

2nd harbor freight lift table that does not hold pressure out if the box.... I will try and bleed. Wtf

Mine did the same. Apply a light layer of grease on the piston shaft. Actuate it a few times and it should hold.

#683 4 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Interesting. I’ll try it. Thanks. Would be nice to not have to scrap this thing.

Please report back on success (or not). I suspect this is a common issue.

11 months later
    #887 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Curious, has anyone's lift failed to keep it's height? I've had mine for years and currently have a project cab sitting on it. Noticed today it lowered itself completely. Lifted it back up, few hours later, lowered again. Piston going? Or is there something else I should look at?
    Thanks

Mine was doing the same. I put some lube (silicone grease if I recall) on the shaft and raised/lowered it a few times and it stopped.

#889 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

This also is an effective solution when the wife has a headache

Hehe. Knew that was coming ... oh no, wait ... forget I said that.

1 week later
    #895 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’m planning to get a lift table. Is Harbor Freight the way to go, or are there better alternatives? 500 lb table fine with me. Do any now come with adjustable handles that can be lowered? Or is this still a home mod?

Still the best way to go. The latest cart I saw (and purchased) still has the fixed handle. I just muscled a 60 degree bend in it, and simply pop it out of the guides then lay it flat for storage under a game when not in use.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tu=pinster68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.