Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by kungfucop (10 years ago)

Post #194 Brake release mod Posted by edgewerx (9 years ago)

Post #196 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #216 elbow mod Instructions Posted by chrisjens2 (9 years ago)

Post #222 Triangle hinge & bolt mod Instructions Posted by leesparts (8 years ago)

Post #238 Swivel Tee mod instructions Posted by pinwiztom (8 years ago)

Post #384 Bimini hinge mod Posted by harryhoudini (6 years ago)

Post #594 Bimini Cap Mod Instructions Posted by Daditude (5 years ago)

Post #1036 Adjustment for table not lifting Posted by SirMachismo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fnosm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 11 years ago

I purchased the 500lb lift and made the hinge mod to it thanks for all the great suggestions and pictures that everyone has provided on the thread.

My question is about using the lift. To try out the lift I put if under one of my pins and picked the front feet of the pin off the floor.
    I had to run for an appointment so I left the lift table raised and the front legs off the floor.
    When I returned 2 hours later the table had completely lowered.
    I tried the lift again and it works fine but I think that it will lower again on its own given time.
    Is this normal? I checked and the tab that presses the release valve does not have any pressure on the release valve when not engaged.
    Any ideas are appreciated.

7 years later
    #822 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No. In hundreds of games this has only been an issue maybe 2/3 times for me, on old games with the cabinet falling apart.
    It seems to distribute the weight evenly enough that it is generally not a problem.

I have used my hflt to setup and take down machines at shows. Literally hundreds of times. If a machine can't handle being raised by its bottom panel you will probably be able to tell just by looking at it. In these rare cases simply flip the table around and use the bottom edge of the sides to raise the game instead of the bottom panel.

6 months later
    #933 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

the mods are great, lots of great ideas....
    what is the point of keeping the handle other than for lowering the platform..?
    I am wondering, can the be steered by pushing the machine once it has been lifted...?
    if that is the case, the handle can be removed altogether and just keep a small release switch/lever by the base....
    the cart can then be pulled with strap similar to those used in tie-downs/ratchets, instead of this flimsy and thin metal tubing..

First off the expensive pinball dollies - dollies made specifically to move pinballs - see image below, are designed to lift up on the bottom panel, not the sides.
    Agreed the sides are stronger but unless you have a machine with a rotted bottom panel (which should be replaced anyway) you shouldn't need to worry about lifting using the bottom panel. Be more concerned with where you place the dolly so it is balanced well when it is lifted.

Having the handle is useful for moving/locating the dolly under the machine, moving/jockeying/driving the machine once it is lifted and for moving your dolly to a good storage spot. The handle is a pain for storage which is why there are so many mods to get these to fold flat when not in use. Also some of the handles need to be modded because they will not go past 90 degrees which prevents being able to move the dolly far enough under your machine to get a good balanced lifting spot.

I have seen/used handleless dollies which are pretty cool. But I still prefer the handle because its usefulness exceeds its limitations.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #936 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Fnsom - Do you have one of these? I have the HF lift table that I use in the garage and it works great, but I admit I'm little leery of bringing it in the basement. Would hate to have it puke oil on the carpet. So I've thought of trying one of those pin dollies like you showed since it doesn't appear to be hydraulic. Or is it (sort of looks like there might be a piston)?

I do not have the pin dollies but I have had the same oil puking issue with my HF's. They don't leak anymore but it was a mess for a while. As for the pin dollies I have used both hydraulic and non-hydraulic versions. The hydraulics require less athletics then the non-hydraulic versions, but both are easy to use once you have been instructed on the way they are designed to be operated.

2 years later
    #1131 7 months ago
    Quoted from waymon:

I got an old HF cart from a package deal with some machines. I found that mine has the same issue and is useless with the plug. I believe my cart is an older style 500lb. Tonight, I will be pulling it from the back of the garage and see what I'm working with and try out some bolts. I can test with some weight that does not matter if it falls.
    I will see if i can produce a blow out with the plug and then see how a bolt works out.

I made a huge mess trying to get the rubber plug to work on my 500lb HF model. It kept flying out of the hole followed by hydraulic oil. I eventually gave up and settled for a cart that wouldn't stay pumped up. Would be interested to find if there is a bolt that I can use to fix this.

3 months later
    #1156 4 months ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Does anyone have any maintenance tips for the HF lift tables?
    I've been using mine on my pinball machines for years... probably well over a decade.
    This November I went to use it for breaking down my Stern STLE and I noticed that it no longer seems to "jack" my game up high enough to get the rear legs on. I know the tires on the cart have lost most if not all of the rubber due to age... but I'm thinking it may be something less obvious like lack of hydraulic fluid or some other issue I'm not familiar with.
    Anyone got any ideas?

I've seen a similar issue caused by the handle not returning fully from the compressed position so the valve stays partially open. Maybe try pushing the handle in the opposite direction and see if that helps.

2 months later
    #1189 53 days ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Joined the 500lb club using Bimini’s. I used a pipe cutter which made short work. I cut the handle 3.5 inches from the bottom. Total project time about 25 minutes. The carts heavier than it looks but will make moving and breaking down pins much easier.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

does the handle stand up because the Bimini's are tightened or is there something else I am missing?

1 week later
    #1193 40 days ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I bought the vevor scissor lift 330lbs and it isn’t great, a lot of the scissor style extra high ones drop too fast when you are lowering it so it kind of “crashes down” on your legs. Pretty disappointed.
    I like the pipe cutter idea posted above, I used a heavy duty angle grinder for my cuts and I was sketched out the whole time !
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Love the scooter quick releases. Great idea.

2 weeks later
    #1204 25 days ago
    Quoted from bfastr:

haha.. I feel your pain. the instructions are garbage. but keep in mind, its Horrible Freight. I have the same table and saw that too.
    but you really dont need a bolt. I am guessing the instructions were written when they were working out the design, once it was translated nobody bothered to proof read it. The table is just mediocre by design, mine will slowly drop no matter what I do if I leave it up. but for 200 bucks what can I expect.

I followed the manual and experienced the flying plug a couple of times before I realized the instructions were wrong. Mine still slowly drops but it works more than well enough to get the job done. I have taken it to several festivals where it has done extensive and good service.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fnosm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tu=fnosm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.