Topic Stats

• 1,208 posts
  • 370 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 hours ago by Williampinball
  • Topic is favorited by 414 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG
    PDC04708.JPG
    PDC04709.JPG
    PDC04706.JPG
    PDC04707.JPG
    IMG_1245 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by kungfucop (10 years ago)

Post #194 Brake release mod Posted by edgewerx (9 years ago)

Post #196 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #216 elbow mod Instructions Posted by chrisjens2 (9 years ago)

Post #222 Triangle hinge & bolt mod Instructions Posted by leesparts (8 years ago)

Post #238 Swivel Tee mod instructions Posted by pinwiztom (8 years ago)

Post #384 Bimini hinge mod Posted by harryhoudini (6 years ago)

Post #594 Bimini Cap Mod Instructions Posted by Daditude (5 years ago)

Post #1036 Adjustment for table not lifting Posted by SirMachismo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#252 8 years ago

guys.. don't be so paranoid about the game moving on the top. It can move all around and still be fine.. if it starts to tip (worst case) put some weight on it and pull it back. The games slide around all the time when I move them.. no biggie.. that's why you leave the legs on Don't move the cabinet around on the lift while its up unless you really need to. I move them around carpet on/off all the time without feeling I need some extra safety nets.

2 months later
    #270 8 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Why not just buy an actual pinball dolly, instead of all these "modifications", parts slipping, reverse engineering, etc.? They are still available, unless you need the lift for other items.

Please submit your $200 or less 'actual pinball dolly' that is readily available nationwide.. go

#277 8 years ago

Price and quality do not always go together.
    You can go cheap, and it will not last.
    Just like all tools.
    I bought another used WICO (fluid cylinder) at auction for $150 about a year+ ago.
    They are still floating around all sorts of shops, and people get ready to throw them out because they do not know how they are used.
    You have to look for them and make an offer.
    Gave it to another collector who needed one that kept using kitchen chairs instead, as I felt bad.
    Does that count?
    You can make one for $200 out of steel and gas shock based on designs available if you have access to a metal and welding shop.
    Even cheaper if you use hard wood, and are much lighter, but no where near as durable.
    All the new ones I have seen are around $350 or so, which I believe are overpriced based on materials.
    Closest one I have seen to WICOs are Penguin, http://penguinamusement.com/details.php?pid=penguin_dolly.
    I am not partial to Harbor Freight Tools, which has nothing to do with this lift.
    I was not making fun of anyone here, I just wondered what the real advantage was of this lift in terms of pinball.
    I have seen a couple of really interesting designs for dolly lifts that can transport upright too, but I cannot seem to find them for sale anywhere, nor a design or patent.
    Not sure why you feel to need to target your opinions at me.
    There was nothing grievous about my comments.

You asked why not buy a real dolly... My posts highlights why these alternatives are popular. Propose a solution that is widely available, and priced comparably to this solution. As you replied, there is no answer - hence why people pursue this option... And answering your question.

Find one available at auction is not viable for someone wanting one on demand.

The classic penguin is more expensive and doesn't drop games low enough to go on their back. It's wheels suck.

While the hf tables needs basic mods to be improved... It's cheap, available, and does the job handily.

#285 8 years ago

I did.
    If you cannot find a WICO, build your own for well under $200 out of steel or wood, and a gas shock or related device.

... because spending $140 on supplies to build your own, that isn't marketably better than the alternative is better why?? Sure if we are all welders and prefer building from our spare supply of angle iron we have lying around the house. Meanwhile, for the rest of us, using something like the lift tables are viable, and for many, preferable.

Your second link is just the ATV cart mod.. which is inferior to the HF table options in most cases.. and still not cheaper.

There is your "in demand" option and you are "money concerned".

You mean you can spend a lot of time and more money.. or you can just buy the HF or northern tool carts and take the handle out when needed.

I am just "old school" and use the original tools that have worked for decades.
    My WICO is nearly 30 years old, and still going strong, although I have replaced several cylinders.
    If you cannot get a machine onto a dolly, then lifting the machine up artificially is not an advantage.
    Necessity is the mother of invention, if cost is a factor.

The HF is generally cheaper than DIY options and more effective unless you are a serious metal fabricator... and in that case modifying the HF cart would still probably result in a cheaper solution with more potential.

The only real negative to the HF cart is it's weight, and that the stock wheels are not suitable for 'offroading'.

At the end of the day.. paying $135 for the HF cart without a sale is still going to be the shortest path for most. Modifying it isn't even really necessary, people are just looking to improve the tool.

Most of the ATV mods or classic coffin dollies can not get a game low enough to tip on its head without help or lifting the game (hence why the pinball lifter people came out with their tilt mod).

So are we still going to drop by the thread and go 'why are you all even bothering?' - because I've not seen you propose a better, or even practically cheaper solution - let alone one that is readily available.

#292 8 years ago

$135 NOT on sale with FREE shipping (just need some extension slats for additional perpendicular directional height):

Yup, requires adding lifting blocks because the cart doesn't lift the game high enough. That's a common cart, so much the pinball lifter guys built a product line around it. But you are telling us something we all know.. so still not sure why you had to come in here threadcrapping on the topic unless you are just a HF hater...

#293 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nice idea using the pipe insulation as padding on the handle. I think I'll add that to mine

keeps you from letting the front of the cabinet catch and chip when you lower the game. It's easy to think you can just let the game slide on the handle, but that's risky.

4 months later
    #344 7 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Since I want to buy a pinball mover but don't want to start a new thread, which one of these is better? I want the easiest to use that will get my machine high enough for easy unboxing in the future or for future moves.
    ebay.com link » Pinball Machine Lift And Moving Dolly Cart
    ebay.com link » Heavy Duty Pinball Lift Dolly Cart Made In The U S A

Neither of those will really help you for unboxing. The coffin dollies like that work for moving games around on legs and (sometimes) for moving games in/out of a truck/van bed, but are more trouble than its worth to set games up or break them down from ground level. Because they can't get a game LOW to get on or off.

You want a lift table or pinlift setup to get games low enough to tilt them on or off from ground level.

2 years later
    #524 5 years ago

Can't coupon stack.. so you normally see if the sale price is cheaper than the usual 20% off.. sometimes they offer 25% coupons.

2 months later
    #537 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Im looking to modify the handle and possibly the lift handle as well.
    What are the best (and cheapest) solutions?

Your in the right place... read the thread to find out.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Tldr. I need cliffs notes

Our starting rate is $50/hr

4 years later
    #1109 7 months ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Has anyone replaced (or lookin into upgrading) the wheels with something larger diameter? I need mine to roll over some less than perfect terrain.

By the time you're done.. you're probably better off with a different solution anyways. Going over non-smooth surfaces you really need to secure the load. The games just slide around on the table if not secured. Plus you're not talking about bigger wheels, but replacing the casters entirely and you'd want something like 9-12"... which there probably isn't enough room for and you'd want a wider base too. Probably better off just building a plate with the wheels you want, then attaching the HF cart to it (sans wheels).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.