Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by kungfucop (10 years ago)

Post #194 Brake release mod Posted by edgewerx (9 years ago)

Post #196 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #216 elbow mod Instructions Posted by chrisjens2 (9 years ago)

Post #222 Triangle hinge & bolt mod Instructions Posted by leesparts (8 years ago)

Post #238 Swivel Tee mod instructions Posted by pinwiztom (8 years ago)

Post #384 Bimini hinge mod Posted by harryhoudini (6 years ago)

Post #594 Bimini Cap Mod Instructions Posted by Daditude (5 years ago)

Post #1036 Adjustment for table not lifting Posted by SirMachismo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#709 4 years ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Just purchased the 1000# model today.
    FYI you do NOT need to modify the cart to lift and move a pin. It will move it easily even with the head in the upright position, and I did not have to bend or modify the handle.
    I even moved it back and forth with force to see if it would tip over the balance point, and it didn't even come close to falling off. And if the head is down, it is even more balanced because of the weight distribution.
    My opinion... these pins are worth $$$$ thousands, don't shy away from spending $100 more to move them easier and safer.[quoted image]

I would agree with this. I bought a similar product from Apollolift, after using a smaller harbor freight one for over a decade. and it's much improved and can move games without any mods. The only issue is the very rare game where the platform (19.7 inches) is too wide to fit between front legs - the only era game so far has been system 80 games like Alien Star and I can easily use my old cart to move that one.

This is a big, strong, heavy and well built lift cart I'm very happy with it. Amazing to be able to lift a game completely off the ground by a good 8 or 9 inches, easy to avoid cables, cords, and surge protectors under the games.

Biggest drawback is that at 180 pounds or whatever I will never use this on a delivery or any other kind of out of shop job unless I have a truck with a lift gate. My old one probably weighs 70 pounds or so and while it's unpleasant to lift into a van it's not impossible. Also don't love the plastic grip lever vs. the metal one on my old cart but all the brands seem to cheap out on that now. Time will tell if it holds up over the years. There's also a 1000lb model (this one is 660) for an extra 20 bucks but didn't see the need for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollolift-Scissor-Hydraulic-Capacity-Lifting/dp/B07V3CX3TG/ref=pd_sbs_328_7
    D8058232-4074-4D49-9C4C-3B77CDFA34B0 (resized).jpegD8058232-4074-4D49-9C4C-3B77CDFA34B0 (resized).jpegEA27D5E1-E25E-41F1-8165-9CA04AF9BF33 (resized).jpegEA27D5E1-E25E-41F1-8165-9CA04AF9BF33 (resized).jpegEB2C0C51-FA00-4CB5-B91E-FD2B8C52A7AE (resized).jpegEB2C0C51-FA00-4CB5-B91E-FD2B8C52A7AE (resized).jpeg

#711 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

That looks pretty solid. I'd say for an operator or a large collection, definitely worth it!
    The Harbor Freight stuff seems more budget conscious, small collection oriented.

Yep. But the super cheap old orange one I had served me well for over a decade but finally started falling apart, the wheels in particular. That thing was about 100 bucks back then.

I was a little scared off of the new Harbor Freight stuff as a lot of bad reviews saying it leaks hydraulic fluid. Anybody had those issues here?

#714 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Eek. Having that weight distributed like that, looks scary to me.

It's really not. The slightest amount of pressure on the lockdown bar will secure a game and remove any worries of it toppling over.

Man I just love me some hydraulic lift carts!!! Way preferable to the giant scary old school clanky coffin pinball lifts. Love the ease and smoothness, and the ability to raise to whatever height I want. Works nice as a workbench too, I do my board work on 'em.

Finally some people who get me!! I was sending friends pics of this gorgeous new big yella cart and received nothing! My girl gets it at least. "Wow...that's one big lift cart!"

#716 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I don't want to derail the lift cart thread, but this is related - so I'd thought I'd toss it out there anyways for feedback.
    Along w/the lift cart, I have the appliance dolly from HF. But this one caught my attention since I have the pins in the basement. Might be easier than the appliance dolly on the steps. Not a bad price. Of course , need to add straps. Anyone try one of these?
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200737655_200737655
    [quoted image]

I believe personally that anybody who is going to be moving a lot of pins - ESPECIALLY when there are stairs involved - can't get away with something this cheap. You really need a heavy duty appliance dolly with a built in ratchet strap (again, the ratchet is way better than the cheap one you just turn to tighten) and stair treads. Quality ones start out around $250. Again, I wouldn't cheap out, I've seen ones that LOOK right for around $100 but axles bend, stair treads fall apart...they just don't do the job. Buy the right one, you'll have it forever. I've currently had mine for well over 15 years and literally hundreds of moves and thousands of stairs, except for plenty of scrapes and bruises it still works good as new.

Something like this (just the first thing that came up), which reminds me of the made in USA Sandhill dolly I bought 15 years back. You can't compare real slipping stair treads with a metal bar or whatever the cheaper hand trucks have to handle stairs:

https://www.handtrucksrus.com/product-details.aspx?id=103&cx=mil

#718 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't disagree Levi. Was just googling an alternative to Escalera.
    Let me rephrase the question better for the thread - would the 3 wheels (on a high quality dolly ) make it easier on the steps?
    What I would really like to find is an Escalara for rent, none around here tho.
    Sorry for the thread derail guys.

I don't like the looks of those things!!! But I'd have to see it in action.

Like...how are three wheels gonna help me get a game down or up the stairs, safely and under control?

I wouldn't call it a thread derail this is all the same shit.

2 months later
    #783 4 years ago

There is a big difference between the lift carts - the 1000 pound ones lift the games far higher into the air, and are longer. This makes it MUCH easier to move games, and means you can easily move all makes of game without having to modify the lift cart. With the game up to a foot off the ground, you don't have to worry about getting legs tangled up in wires or dragging, or other issues that come from only having the game an inch or two off the ground.

The tradeoff is of course cost, and in a big way, weight. It is unrealistic to use the big heavy carts on delivery or pickup jobs as just getting it into a van is a huge pain in the ass. The smaller, lighter ones are somewhat mobile.

However if you have a large collection and are moving games around all the time, the heavier ones are better for that application.

I made do with the smaller cart for over 10 years. It was good but I wish I had spent the extra money way back then, my life would have been made easier for hundreds of moves. I still have the old one, in case I need to bring it along with me on a move.

6A1276D4-D0FD-4314-A0D1-1C1E7599EBF0 (resized).jpeg6A1276D4-D0FD-4314-A0D1-1C1E7599EBF0 (resized).jpeg
    #785 4 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Hey Levi,
    Is that your old space in the 20's?
    How are you holding up in NY?

Yes 26th street.

Hanging in there. Thank god I have That space so I have somewhere to go and can get a little time to myself.

2 months later
    #821 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Has anyone had problems lifting from the bottom panel. I would think you would be too much weight and pressure?

No. In hundreds of games this has only been an issue maybe 2/3 times for me, on old games with the cabinet falling apart.

It seems to distribute the weight evenly enough that it is generally not a problem.

2 months later
    #842 3 years ago

I don’t think they are better. That cart really isn’t designed to move pinball machines around, and with too much use those red covers fray and fall off, and the black wheels left behind are soft and mark up the floor. I shouldn’t complain I got 6-7 years out of mine before the wheel covers started to fall off but I don’t think it’s anything you need or want. And yes they came stock on that cart.

2 months later
    #900 3 years ago

These things are cheap. I too went through the “can I buy a new wheel?” Thing with harbor freight. I was kind of annoyed until I remembered I’d got over 10 years out of a lift cart I paid $120 for.

Probably easier to just buy a new one.

2 years later
    #1070 1 year ago

The larger carts are good because they can lift the games incredibly high. My shop is pretty crowded and with the smaller one, the games were constantly bumping into stuff, getting feet caught on wires, etc.

So I have both, I like the versatility and the use the smaller one to set up games, and the larger one to move them around the shop. The larger carts are incredibly heavy so - like close to 200 pounds - so it will never be leaving the shop.

7 months later
    #1108 8 months ago

Marginally larger wheels aren’t going to help anyway.

This type of cart is not meant for rough terrain. It’s meant for your shop floor.

#1110 8 months ago

You just don't realize what a disaster "rough terrain" hydraulic cart moving is going to be like. Even with "bigger wheels."

First of all, forget about pushing it. Your only chance is going to be to pull it.

Second, do you have suspension? 4 wheels and no suspension...wow, that's gonna be rough.

Third, as above - how do you plan on securing the pin? It's gonna get messy.

This is just not a concept that works.

1 week later
    #1138 7 months ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Why would you use a 1000 lb cart for a 250lb pin???

I have one (different brand ‘). I can raise the game about 2 feet off the ground. This makes life a lot easier in my cramped space. No more feet getting tangled in wires when I’m trying to move a game around the shop. On gottlieb games with longer legs, no more feet scraping the floor.

And, on the street, I can use them to effortlessly hoist a 300 pound game into a cargo van by myself.

They are big and heavy but have their advantages.

IMG_0794 (resized).jpegIMG_0794 (resized).jpeg
    #1143 7 months ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Would it make more sense to buy a cart meant to lift pins then? No modding or fixing. I guess it depends on what it’s worth to someone.

No. I do not like the coffin lifters at all.

The hydraulic lifts offer much more precise, easy to handle, and smooth operation. And they are much more versatile and have other uses beyond coffin lifts.

You can use them as work benches. You can use them to lift games into vehicles. Etc.

#1149 7 months ago

I own this Apollo cart and I can assure you it's worth the money. Incredibly high-quality, lifts my games 2 feet in the air...it's been a game-changer. "Built like a tank" as everybody in pinball likes to say about everything.

it also weighs close to 200 pounds so forget about using it anywhere but the shop. But I have my altered HF 500 pound model for road trips if necessary.

4 months later
    #1179 75 days ago
    Quoted from AssaultSuit:

They are pretty awkward to carry. I wonder if anyone has used an Escalera to get one up their stairs before, lol!

I use a ratchet strap to hold it all together so the platter doesn't raise, and so the modded handle stays in place. The pump handle is a good gripping point to carry or move.

But yeah, moving these is not fun. Not tough with two people, but at 80 pounds not really made to be mobile for one.

And forget about moving the 1000 pound carts anywhere. Mine weighs almost 200 pounds. It lives in the shop and will always live in the shop.

#1183 75 days ago
    Quoted from NunoDirector:

So between both options, you don't recommend going with the 1000 Pounds?

I have both, so I split the baby. But yeah I would never recommend the 1000 pounder. It's fucking huge and heavy (mine isn't harbor freight but these are all pretty much the same).

I got the 1000 pounder because it really helps me in the shop, and I didn't alter it at all. It raises games about 2 feet in the air if I need to, so I can easily move games around my tight quarters without getting the feet caught up in cables or surge protectors or a box of pop bumper parts.

But the 500 pounders will do for most people, especially if you've done the mod. And the fact that it's semi-portable is good.

I bring the 500 pounder to Allentown. Big Yellow ain't going anywhere.

IMG_1245 (resized).jpegIMG_1245 (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #1214 7 days ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

CrazyLevi Does the handle lower completely on the Apollo cart or do you do a special adjustment for it? My HF cart has oil drained out and looking for another cart.
    Thanks in advance!
    sputnikim

The handle is fixed in place. But the cart is so long that you don't need a folding handle to move games even from the front.

Again, this thing is a monster. Not for leaving the shop (unless you have a truck with a lift-gate) and not for any area where you don't have room to store it.

#1216 7 days ago
    Quoted from Ballderdash:

I think he was wondering if any part of this mechanism allows for the handle to be folded. For instance, lowering it flat on the surface of the lift table so the whole thing can be stored under a pin.
    [quoted image]

Yeah I suppose it does. I'm pretty sure that's how it arrived (folded over). I'll check again and see how easy it is to fold it back down; would actually help me for storing it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.