Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #132 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by kungfucop (10 years ago)

Post #194 Brake release mod Posted by edgewerx (9 years ago)

Post #196 Flagpole hinge mod Instructions Posted by ForceFlow (9 years ago)

Post #216 elbow mod Instructions Posted by chrisjens2 (9 years ago)

Post #222 Triangle hinge & bolt mod Instructions Posted by leesparts (8 years ago)

Post #238 Swivel Tee mod instructions Posted by pinwiztom (8 years ago)

Post #384 Bimini hinge mod Posted by harryhoudini (6 years ago)

Post #594 Bimini Cap Mod Instructions Posted by Daditude (5 years ago)

Post #1036 Adjustment for table not lifting Posted by SirMachismo (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#536 5 years ago

Im looking to modify the handle and possibly the lift handle as well.

What are the best (and cheapest) solutions?

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Your in the right place... read the thread to find out.

Tldr. I need cliffs notes

#540 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Great thread, gonna go the bimini route. Seems like I will have the least chance screwing it up this way. Thanks everyone.

What is the "bimini" route?

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerBall:

I went the route of standing on the table and bending the handle.
    [quoted image]

And this works?

#552 5 years ago

2 questions:

1) what does everyone do to keep the slip resistant matt on the cart? Glue?

2) can you just bend it? A couple of people mentioned that....but does it work? Does it bend far enough?

#557 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I let it slide around because I use it to stand up my pins. I would be curious because it would be better if it stayed in one place
    The thing with bending is it doesn’t store well? I’m assuming you can’t get the pole back out? With the bimini it folds right up

So, is the bimini considered the best?

#565 5 years ago

I am going to try the bimini cap method.

I have found them in 1 inch diameter...but is that the inner diameter or outer diameter that needs to be 1 inch?

Also, what size is the "eyelet"? I need to know which size bolt to get.

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

One pair needs to be 3/4", and the other 1". I took them to my local hardware shop this weekend, explained what I was attempting, using photos kindly provided on here, and he selected parts for me. I'll post a photo of what he selected in a few minutes.

Ok. Thank you

#572 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I did this first but was not able to fold the handle down. By cutting 3 inches off the handle and putting it in the cart. I used 2 pairs of 1" to make a hinge in the handle

So....do i need 4 caps at 1 inch inner diameter...or do i need to get 2 at 1 inch and 2 at 3/4 inch inner diameter?

#578 5 years ago

Does anyone know the bolt size for the bimini caps?

#581 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I feel like this is getting over complicated. part of the bi mini method is that its simple. you only need to make two cuts. There should be two shorter pieces (with thread holes) that sit in the base of the lift. No issues with short cable.

Agreed.

I am in the process of ordering parts for it, and then i will complete the mod. It seems like everyone just tells a piece of the onfo, but not the whole thing.
    Once finished, I will detail the exact cut length, bolt sizes, etc to make my post the one stop for info.

#594 5 years ago

Bimini Cap Mod:

After thoroughly reading this thread, it appears that the people have spoken; The Bimini Cap Mod is the top method for modifying these hydraulic lift carts to properly fit under and lift pinball machines. In addition...it is cheap, simple, and allows the cart to be folded up for easy storage. In short, if you are looking for the perfect modification for this cart (as the rest of of are) look no further, this is it.

When going through the thread, however, I noticed that the Bimini Cap Mod seemed fairly easy, but there were a lot of unanswered questions scattered about. This is where I have stepped in.
    Below, I consolidated all Bimini Cap Mod info for anyone interested, down to materials, sizing, options, tools, pricing, and pictures to show it all in.

Enjoy.

First things first:
    Get the 500lb hydraulic lift cart at harbor freight tools. The 1000lb lift may be tempting, but it doesnt fit under many machines, it weighs a lot more, it cost more, and you really dont need to lift that much. It is overkill.
    The 500lb cart is currently 169.99
    Some harbor freights will accept 20% or even 25% super coupons on it...some won't. I certainly recommend trying it.

Tools needed:

Tape measure, hacksaw (you can use a circular saw or reciprocating saw, but a hacksaw is easier), sharpie marker, 9/16 wrench, 1/4 wrench, hex/allen tool set (these can be found at the dollar tree for just a buck!)

4- Eye End Bimini Top Cap/ 1'' inner diameter/ Marine Stainless Steel (make sure these are 1 inch inner diameter)
    2 - 1/4"-20 Hex Bolt
    2 - 1/4"-20 Stop Nut
    4 - 1/4" flat washer
    4 - 1/4" flat washer nylon (make sure they are nylon, NOT RUBBER)

I got the 4 bimini caps on ebay for 26 total. You can find them on amazon and some marine supply shops as well. Unfortunately...Home Depot and Lowe's don't seem to carry them (at least, not any near me...and I live on a Lake. You would think they would have more "marine" supplies).

I got all the nuts, bolts, and washers for 2.08 at Lowe's. That means this mod is under 30 bucks. Im sure you could go cheaper...but go ahead and get good quality items. It is worth the 30 bucks.

Measure and mark 3.5 inches from the bottom of the handles with a sharpie (1 cut per handle. Use a hacksaw. You could go as little as 3 inches...but after testing repeatedly...3.5 inches is truly the sweet spot for handle usage and fold-down storage.) Cut the pieces.
    Screw in bottom pieces (with the holes) with a 9/16 wrench.

Set up the bimini caps in the following pattern (pictured below as well):

Bolt, flat washer, nylon washer, bimini cap, nylon washer, bimini cap, washer, nut. Tighten with 1/4 wrench.

Connect bimini cap elbow mod onto top and bottom using the allen wrench. Make sure to face both bimini elbow joints the same way (as pictured), so they will fit. I also recommend connecting both bolt/nut setups in the same direction.

Enlarge pics below for more details.

Easy.

20190317_125014 (resized).jpg20190317_125014 (resized).jpg20190317_235310 (resized).jpg20190317_235310 (resized).jpg20190317_235931 (resized).jpg20190317_235931 (resized).jpg20190318_000752 (resized).jpg20190318_000752 (resized).jpg20190318_000936 (resized).jpg20190318_000936 (resized).jpg20190318_000953 (resized).jpg20190318_000953 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #608 5 years ago

In an ever-ending attempt to improve moving techniques, I have added wing nuts on the bimini mod. I highly recommend them. The cost is about 25 cents for two, and they allow for far easier tightening/loosening on the fly.

I am also experimenting with fibre washers. I havent decided if they are better or worse than nylon yet, but they seem to be easier to find (at least, they are where I live).
    I will get back with the info.

#610 5 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I finally took the plunge, and everything went fantastically! I was shocked at somehow there being enough cable length when keeping the 3.5" cut at the base.
    My only issues were using a less than stellar cheap $6 pipe cutter from Harbor Freight, and these little bolts on the caps keep popping out. Anyone used loctite or found a better method?

You can drill through the caps and bolt them, or a strong epoxy will keep it together.

I have never had problems with mine, or really heard of many issues. Is the hex nut loosening?

#612 5 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Yes, those tiny little nuts in the caps keep popping out on me. I got a hex wrench set, but they keep coming loose. Not exactly driving this thing around like s go-kart either.
    Thanks for doing the really solid summarization! I'm really glad people have multiple, with this and the other methods, well documented options.

My first thought would be to really wrench them in tight. This is not a common problem with the bimini method, so im not sure if it is just your specific bolts or caps or not.

Where did you get the bimini caps from? They could just not be good quality. I passed on sone cheaper ones because I didn't want any issues down the line.

Drilling and bolting certainly is an option. It adds more complexity to it, but it certainly wouldn't cost much.

As mentioned before, you can also use a glue or epoxy. JB Weld will hold just about anything together. I would use this as a last resort, because it won't come off...ever.

2 weeks later
    #625 5 years ago
    Quoted from okgrak:

Ouch. Shipping to NJ is now $97 dollars for one of these. After coupon the unit itself is only $137.

They weigh 88 lbs...and that does not include and packing/shipping materials.
    $97 actually sounds cheap.

Are there no harbor freights near you?

1 week later
    #628 5 years ago
    Quoted from FelixTCat:

Ok I'll admit that I'm an idiot and lost the two screws that hold the handle into the cart. Can anybody tell me what size / thread / what to get from home depot / lowes to replace them ?

Key Post #594 (for reference)

2 - 1/4"-20 Hex Bolt
    2 - 1/4"-20 Stop Nut
    4 - 1/4" flat washer
    4 - 1/4" flat washer nylon (make sure they are nylon, NOT RUBBER)

1 week later
    #640 4 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

pinball lift lift yeah pinball lift yeah yeah yeah bimini caps yeah lift yeah lift pinbll
    [quoted image]
    So like... I'm a little paranoid - Do I use this to lift directly against the bottom plywood in the game or should I get some 2x4's for it and have it lift by the cabinet edges? Also I need to lift from as far back on the game as possible right? Cause it seems unstable otherwise, like the game wants to lean backwards. It's picking up the front legs first and I am expecting it to lift it uniformly.

2×4s are not necessary. In fact, I would not recommend them. The table is gentler (larger, wider dispersed contact area).

You have to find the center of gravity. It will depend on the weight of the cab, the headbox, and whether or not you are moving it with the headbox up or down. You typically have to put it further back underneath the cab (which is mostly why it needs the handle modified in the first place).

9 months later
    #740 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trindawg:

So I’m getting to this post a little late. But I bought the same 500# cart At HF. now I need a mod to get it under my pin without the handle getting in the way. This is an old thread, but what would you guys say is the EASIEST mod for my cart. I am in NO WAY handy with tools whatsoever. Please give me the easiest option.

I have a key post (post #594) that explains it in detail. It's easy and effective.

#743 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trindawg:

I like the Bimini mod. Would this Bimini caps from amazon be ok. As far as the ID On these go, it’s just under an inch. 25mm?[quoted image]

I believe those should work

#745 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trindawg:

How long are those 1/4-20 bolts supposed to be?

I believe they are 1 1/2 inches. Of course, they are so cheap, you get get a few options if you wanted. They just have to get all the way through the bar and have enough room for the bolt/nut.

1 month later
    #792 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

Where did you get the parts and do you have a list? I was curious if someone had new links as the originals are a couple years old.
    Looks great.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/12#post-4889884

Post #594 explains everything in great detail. Parts, places to buy, prices, instructions, etc.

1 month later
    #811 3 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

Where is the best price for the bamini ends? Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/12#post-4889884

Check out key post #594 where I detail it all. Bikini caps can be found for under 30 bucks for the pair

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.