Topic Stats

• 667 posts
  • 243 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 65 days ago by cad-kid
  • Topic is favorited by 282 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 266 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6782 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6781 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6780 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6779 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6778 (resized).jpg
    CCD41F97-7F73-4839-80B6-933C224515E3 (resized).jpeg
    02C32E1C-19DF-4851-92EE-C47897483760 (resized).jpeg
    20181109_124749_HDR (resized).jpg
    20180801_132034_HDR (resized).jpg
    5AEFFC00-1283-4B04-9477-57EB18CD39D5 (resized).jpeg
    0_012 (resized).jpg
    0_005 (resized).jpg
    0_004 (resized).jpg
    0_007 (resized).jpg
    0_011 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190429_222714 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 667 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.
    #151 6 years ago

I picked one up last weekend. I'm too lazy to go through all the crazy mod stuff, so I just did what any normal fat american would do, I bent the hell out of the handle. Worked like a charm.

-Wes

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I picked one up last weekend. I'm too lazy to go through all the crazy mod stuff, so I just did what any normal fat american would do, I bent the hell out of the handle. Worked like a charm.-Wes

Hell yeah, a lot faster and probably on spent about 20 calories on it.

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I picked one up last weekend. I'm too lazy to go through all the crazy mod stuff, so I just did what any normal fat american would do, I bent the hell out of the handle. Worked like a charm.
    -Wes

I need to borrow a fat guy to lean on it.

#154 6 years ago

I went with the barn hinge and extra screw hole. The handle wont stay locked upright, put it folds for storage and lays flay when dragging juuuuust fine.

#155 6 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

-Wes

told you

#156 6 years ago

Mine pivots from the factory. I have had it about 10 years so it must have changed.

lift.jpg

#157 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

I need to borrow a fat guy to lean on it.

Don't know where you could find a fat guy in this hobby, have you posted on Rec.Food.Porkfatrules.com?

#158 6 years ago

Got mine yesterday, tomorrow the handle gets circumcised.

3 weeks later
    #159 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheMickster:

Here is what I did for my modification, I used 1/2 pipe with unions, added removable wood supports utilizing wing nuts, and it all folds up nice and rolls/fits under one of my pins..

Mick

I am about to do this, and you are the first person that I have seen address the issue that I am concerned with, being the weight on the bottom panel, when it should be on the sides I believe. It appears these things do not span to the sides of the cab, is that correct?

How do the actual pinball lifters work, do they reach the to the side, or only support the bottom panel?

#160 6 years ago

I've moved machines many times with mine and not seen any issues with it. I'm not certain if the likes of penguin lifts lift the sides or only the bottom, but I suspect the latter since they would need to be narrow enough to get between the legs easily. For the times I lift a pin from the side, the table does lift from the sides rather then the bottom panel.

#161 6 years ago

I believe with the platform of the lift being a decent size it puts very little stress on the bottom panel because the weight is distributed across the whole lift. I haven't seen any ill
    effects using it.

#162 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I am about to do this, and you are the first person that I have seen address the issue that I am concerned with, being the weight on the bottom panel, when it should be on the sides I believe. It appears these things do not span to the sides of the cab, is that correct?
    How do the actual pinball lifters work, do they reach the to the side, or only support the bottom panel?

Good point.

Some games have the bottom separating to begin with and that is not wood but MDF on many games. Wonder if lifting like that has ever resulted in disaster but never read a post that it did.

#163 6 years ago

I just bought one of these, and I decided to just bend the handle down so it will still be easy to maneuver under the pin. I am a big guy, so I decided to try the stand on top of it and push the handle to bend it method. I bent it a bit, but since it needs to be almost horizontal, there is a definite limitation to how far you can go with this. The easiest way I found to bend it is to set the handle on a milk crate with the top held down by the trailer hitch on the Rav 4. In this position, the table will be sticking up in the air, and is really easy to push down to bend.

I don't know if all pins are like this, but STTNG is very heavy on the back end. The table has to be almost all the way to the back of the machine. With the handle like this, that is pretty easy to do. Now, I just need to go to the hardware store to get a piece of pipe to extend the foot pedal so I can reach that from the front of the pin as well.

The table with the bent handle is almost exactly as long as the pin, so I can store it underneath whole. I will post a pic after I get the pedal extended.

3 months later
    #164 6 years ago

Picked up one of these today. The new ones are silver rather then orange/yellow.

I got it for 130 with a 25% off coupon.

http://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/newhome11/images/20off912-aff17560.jpg

#165 6 years ago

I ended up just lopping off about 14" from each of the handle's legs. The only sucky part was disconnecting the cable and reconnecting it. But that wasn't too bad.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

Picked up one of these today. The new ones are silver rather then orange/yellow.
    I got it for 130 with a 25% off coupon.
    http://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/newhome11/images/20off912-aff17560.jpg

Does this new version have a foldable handle like the 1000 lb one does?

#167 6 years ago
    Quoted from planters49:

Does this new version have a foldable handle like the 1000 lb one does?

Has the old style handle you need to mod. The only change I have noticed is the color and it looks like they added some safety bars you can flip down to keep the lift from dropping to the floor if you lose air pressure. Based on everyone's pictures it looks the same to me.

#168 6 years ago

I have one, and wish I had just bought a pinball lift.

#169 6 years ago

I added a set of big snap on tool box wheels on mine now it flys over door jams I just wish had 4 swivel caster on it

Cart_1.png

#170 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I have one, and wish I had just bought a pinball lift.

Why?

#171 6 years ago

I find that the table is too tippy, the base needs to be bigger. Plus it really needs four wheel steering.

#172 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I find that the table is too tippy, the base needs to be bigger. Plus it really needs four wheel steering.

Get modding!

#173 6 years ago

Nope, my days out in the shop are over.

#174 6 years ago

Even with bigger casters, you still want two to be fixed. It's nearly impossible to push a load up a hill when all four wheels swivelling. I just moved 4 machines up a ramp onto my 5x10 utility trailer and the harbor freight 500lb. table worked great. I also made a board that has 3/4" firring strips that locks onto the top or the table and prevents the pins from moving to the left or right. Then I used a strap to strap the pin to the table so you can handle the whole setup as one unit. You can rock the machines over thresholds and the end of the ramp.

3 months later
    #175 5 years ago

Fwiw, I completely failed to get my release cable tight enough or properly positioned after adding the hinge to my handle, so I fabricated a simple release lever instead. I can grab the lever and move it up to drop the lift. I can post details if anyone cares.

image-903.jpg
    #176 5 years ago

Post the details!

#177 5 years ago

Alright. The ingredients are one relatively long bolt, a bunch of big old washers, a 2" long piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, and a long flat anything (I used some cheap "wrench" that came with a craftsman workbench for assembly purposes). The PVC solves the problem that it's really narrow where the release hinge sits, and you need to extend it down so you can attach something there that clears the side of the bottom of the lift.

Anyway, here goes:

1. Remove the hinge pin and the pin that hold the hydraulic release lever in place
    2. Remove the lever and unscrew the bolt that retains the metal wire that connects to the lever
    3. Place the long bolt through the hole that you removed the stock wire-retaining bolt from, after that insert a washer, the pipe, another washer, and your random long thing.
    4. Bolt down your long thing

Now to release the lift, just lift up on the long piece.

Hmm. That doesn't make a lot of sense without pictures. I guess I'll go take some.

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Alright. The ingredients are one relatively long bolt, a bunch of big old washers, a 2" long piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, and a long flat anything (I used some cheap "wrench" that came with a craftsman workbench for assembly purposes). The PVC solves the problem that it's really narrow where the release hinge sits, and you need to extend it down so you can attach something there that clears the side of the bottom of the lift.
    Anyway, here goes:
    1. Remove the hinge pin and the pin that hold the hydraulic release lever in place
    2. Remove the lever and unscrew the bolt that retains the metal wire that connects to the lever
    3. Place the long bolt through the hole that you removed the stock wire-retaining bolt from, after that insert a washer, the pipe, another washer, and your random long thing.
    4. Bolt down your long thing
    Now to release the lift, just lift up on the long piece.
    Hmm. That doesn't make a lot of sense without pictures. I guess I'll go take some.

Hahaha. I'm interested in this as well if you don't mind getting some pics.

#179 5 years ago

I put some big wheels on mine from a big snap-on tool box it now flys right over the door jams

Cart 1.png
    #180 5 years ago

coolest thread ever
    here's how i move 750 lb game.

9.outside-512.JPG

2.build-dolly-(b)-512.JPG

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

coolest thread ever

2.build-dolly-(b)-512.JPG 19 KB

9.outside-512.JPG 62 KB

Now That's Cool

4 weeks later
    #182 5 years ago

The best idea (and the cleanest most aesthetically pleasing) idea for a mod came from kungfucop on page three of this thread. I took his idea and was able to do it cheaper. I thought I would show/tell everyone:

Following his steps: you can replace the Aluminum pipe with 1" conduit/copper/ cheaper pipe I still used the Aluminum), but here is the real savings:

amazon.com link »

I JUST received these and they work perfect!!!!! There is no Dremeling the teeth, they fit together perfect! They look cleaner than the "hinges" others have used. I will get pics up as soon as I finish installing them.

I also skipped the 3/4 inch drill bit and went with a 5/16?? Maybe the newer grey HF tables have smaller bolts and holes?? The 3/4" was massive!!

Thanks to Kungfucop!! The credit is all yours!!!!

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from retired_user_101:

coolest thread ever

It's the Dolly Centipede

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

The best idea (and the cleanest most aesthetically pleasing) idea for a mod came from kungfucop on page three of this thread. I took his idea and was able to do it cheaper. I thought I would show/tell everyone:
    Following his steps: you can replace the Aluminum pipe with 1" conduit/copper/ cheaper pipe, but here is the real savings:
    amazon.com link »
    I JUST received these and they work perfect!!!!! There is no Dremeling the teeth, they fit together perfect! They look cleaner than the "hinges" others have used. I will get pics up as soon as I finish installing them.
    I also skipped the 3/4 inch drill bit and went with a 5/16?? Maybe the newer grey HF tables have smaller bolts and holes?? The 3/4" was massive!!

I think I may finally mod my table.

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I think I may finally mod my table.

Don't forget to order 4!!

#186 5 years ago

Once the lift is in place, I throw this board on it:

IMAG1021.jpg IMAG1022.jpg
    #187 5 years ago
    Quoted from MTPPC:

Once the lift is in place, I throw this board on it:

IMAG1021.jpg 146 KB

IMAG1022.jpg 167 KB

I need some measurements man! LOL!! I have to make a board too!

#188 5 years ago

Funny that I instinctively bought one of these hydraulic lift tables from HF.... before ever seeing this thread... but I could only use the table sideways.

Works great, btw. No need for a pinball dolly if you have one of these. Even better than a pinball dolly with the mod, IMO.

Great ideas on how to mod the handle. Will have to try them!

#189 5 years ago

I like that board idea as well. And the bigger wheels. Harbor Freight should look at this thread and make a new table for us!

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I like that board idea as well. And the bigger wheels. Harbor Freight should look at this thread and make a new table for us!

They should give me one free as a trial!!

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's the Dolly Centipede

I approve.

I approve.jpg
    3 weeks later
    #192 5 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

here is the real savings:
    amazon.com link »
    I JUST received these and they work perfect!!!!! There is no Dremeling the teeth, they fit together perfect! They look cleaner than the "hinges" others have used.

Totally agree! I finally did mine. I just cut the original handle's legs off about 11.5cm from the ends, stuck them in the base, put the hinges on top of them, put the rest of the handle in the top of the hinges, tightened everything using the existing screws knobs and bolts, and I was done. Thanks for the tip on these hinges (remember to order 4) and thanks again to Kungfucop for the original idea!

1 week later
    #193 5 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

Following his steps: you can replace the Aluminum pipe with 1" conduit/copper/ cheaper pipe I still used the Aluminum), but here is the real savings:
    amazon.com link »

Thanks for the props to you and Yonkiman but I think you must've misread my post. I said 3/8" drill bit (not 3/4") which, by my algebra, is equal to 6/16" or very close to your suggested 5/16". There were quite a few numbers tossed around in those posts (like 1/4 washers, etc.) so maybe that is where the confusion was. Glad it worked out for you and Yonkiman.

3 months later
    #194 5 years ago

Here is my contribution to the harbor freight pinball mod. I tried two different mods before settling on this one.

Since this origin of this thread, it appears that the harbor freight lift cart has been updated slightly. Other than being changed from being painted yellow to gray, some of the sizes of the handles, drill holes and release cable have been altered slightly. I found issues in following the modifications found earlier in this thread a little challenging because of these issues.

1. Hinge Mod

This mod would have worked well, except for the release cable even after being re-routed was a little too short to fully extend the handle after it was attached. I considered just getting a longer cable from a local bike shop, but the hinges were already showing signs of bending so I decided to attempt the pipe-fitting mod.

2. Pipe-fitting mod

After purchasing all of the suggested parts from Lowes and took them home to discover that the threaded ¾ nipple would not fit into the handle receiver on the cart. With some force, i was able to force-thread one of the nipples into the opening though it wasn’t a secure fit. Once I attached the handle it easily came loose on one side. I suppose I could have messed around with this some more and found different pipe sizes to make this work, but I decided to try something different:

I made a trip to my local bike shop an picked up:

1. A new brake release cable

2. A kid’s bike brake lever

I affixed the brake lever to the pump handle receiver and attached the new cable to the hydraulic release under the cart. The brake cable’s length was about 12 inches.

Moving around the pinballs after getting them up in the air was easy and I used the machine itself to move it around instead of a handle. There was no worry of the machine coming off of the platform as long as I got it close to centered under the machine

I was able to move 8 machines out of my old house load the all up into a 16 foot box truck and get them into my new house. Hope this helps someone out there!

IMAG0527.jpg IMAG0528.jpg IMAG0529.jpg IMAG0530.jpg IMAG0531.jpg IMAG0532.jpg IMAG0533.jpg
    #195 5 years ago
    Quoted from edgewerx:

Here is my contribution to the harbor freight pinball mod. I tried two different mods before settling on this one.
    Since this origin of this thread, it appears that the harbor freight lift cart has been updated slightly. Other than being changed from being painted yellow to gray, some of the sizes of the handles, drill holes and release cable have been altered slightly. I found issues in following the modifications found earlier in this thread a little challenging because of these issues.
    1. Hinge Mod
    This mod would have worked well, except for the release cable even after being re-routed was a little too short to fully extend the handle after it was attached. I considered just getting a longer cable from a local bike shop, but the hinges were already showing signs of bending so I decided to attempt the pipe-fitting mod.
    2. Pipe-fitting mod
    After purchasing all of the suggested parts from Lowes and took them home to discover that the threaded ¾ nipple would not fit into the handle receiver on the cart. With some force, i was able to force-thread one of the nipples into the opening though it wasn’t a secure fit. Once I attached the handle it easily came loose on one side. I suppose I could have messed around with this some more and found different pipe sizes to make this work, but I decided to try something different:
    I made a trip to my local bike shop an picked up:
    1. A new brake release cable
    2. A kid’s bike brake lever
    I affixed the brake lever to the pump handle receiver and attached the new cable to the hydraulic release under the cart. The brake cable’s length was about 12 inches.
    Moving around the pinballs after getting them up in the air was easy and I used the machine itself to move it around instead of a handle. There was no worry of the machine coming off of the platform as long as I got it close to centered under the machine
    I was able to move 8 machines out of my old house load the all up into a 16 foot box truck and get them into my new house. Hope this helps someone out there!

I just bought one last week, and I was having some trouble modding it--there was absolutely no slack in the release cable, and the release handle is now welded to the U-shaped aluminum handle.

Thanks for the tip--I'll probably have to do something similar, though I may opt to put the brake handle near the end of the U-shaped handle (if the cable doesn't fit in the existing handle). It seems like having the release handle close to the body of the lift would be a bit of a safety issue if the lift comes crashing down for some reason.

[edit]: After disassembling the release cable, I can probably just get away with replacing the cable with a longer one from a bike shop.

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from kungfucop:

I was originally gonna get some help welding the handle bar like Kneissl's mod but then changed direction and decided I'd like to have my bar be able to lock in place. I also didn't want to alter the original equipment or as little as possible. So here is my take on the HF lift table mod.
    I bought a 1" diameter aluminum pipe and cut two pieces about 4 inches in length. Drilled a hole using a 3/8 drill bit only thru one side so I can mount it as factory.
    Then I bought four 1" diameter aluminum flag pole bracket mounts with the serrated style teeth gear...similar to this one:
    ebay.com link » Flagpole Bracket Silver Cast Aluminum 13 Position Bracket For 1 Diameter Pole

Quoted from hollywood:

amazon.com link »
    I JUST received these and they work perfect!!!!! There is no Dremeling the teeth, they fit together perfect! They look cleaner than the "hinges" others have used.

I ended up going with the flagpole hinge method. It did not require any destructive modifications, however I did need to get a longer release cable (bike brake cable) since there wasn't enough slack in the original cable.

The parts:

-1" diamater wooden dowel; Two pieces 5-3/4" in length. (sourced from lowes)

-Four flag poles: amazon.com link »

-50" bike brake sheath/housing and 60" steel cable (sourced from a local bike shop. Note that prices varied wildly, so you may have to shop around. One bike shop had a similar cable for $45 )

-(optional): Two short metric hex bolts; M8-1.25x16 (found at lowes in the specialty parts drawers). This is to avoid drilling the dowel and so that the bolts aren't sticking out several inches.

Cost:
    1"x48" dowel: $4
    Flag poles: $35
    Bolts: $1.14
    Brake cable & sheath: $14.45
    Total: $54.59

The verdict: This was a fairly easy mod that didn't take too long to do--however, if you've never worked on a bike or replaced a brake cable, the difficulty level would probably go up a couple notches. Either way, it was a bit more than I would've liked to have spent. Right now I have the teeth of one pole mount locked up against the flat side of the other pole mount. In this configuration, the little teeth have been popping off if you try to apply force to the handle without loosening the wingnut on bolt holding the hinged joint together. However, it does the job and folds down without any problems.

20140705164917277-365.jpg20140705165015141-16.jpg20140705165053767-304.jpg20140705165208289-253.jpg

1 month later
    #197 5 years ago

FYI these carts are on sale this weekend for $130 after 20% coupon.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html

3 weeks later
    #198 5 years ago

Just got mine done today. Extra parts:
    Stock steel $6
    Pin $1.25
    Stair grit pad $4
    Old bike brake free

I'm going to have a 45 degree bend put in the handle to make it easier to use.
    image-814.jpg

2 weeks later
    #199 5 years ago

we have Canadian tire up here and their carts are only rated for 330lbs. do you think that is enough??

MotoMaster Rolling Lift Cart allows you to raise and position heavy parts with ease
    With an adjustable height from 9 to 28" (23 to 74 cm)
    Approximately 28 x 18" (74 x 46 cm) surface area
    With 4 x 4" castors (2 with brakes)
    Has a 330 lbs capacity

crappytire lift.png
    #200 5 years ago

well I looked at another store up here, Princess Auto, and it looks like the exact lift you guys get from HF, is $349.99 up here. so I think I am going another way - http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/dolly/dolly.html
    wish me luck!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 334.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.95
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 27.50
    There are 667 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside