Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 25.
    #1001 2 years ago

aed (resized).jpgaed (resized).jpg

You got lucky to get your money back. The general run of the scam is to get Paypal a tracking number via shipping something worthless and delay things for as long as possible... and so by the time you file a dispute, Paypal rules against you. Paypal may be handling these scams differently now since it is so common.

#1002 2 years ago

I mean...did you even try to lift pins with the shower cap?

#1003 2 years ago
    Quoted from pencilneck:

The general run of the scam is to get Paypal a tracking number via shipping something worthless and delay things for as long as possible... and so by the time you file a dispute, Paypal rules against you.

Well here the item was delivered, so the tracking number was now moot.
    According to paypal rules I had until mid Feb 2022, to file a claim.
    If I had not received it, say by end of October, (allowing lots of time to get delivery from overseas,)
    I would have filed a claim to return my money.
    Recently I filed a paypal claim with a non delivery from a legit USA housewares seller,
    paypal gave them 10 days to deliver and when that deadline passed, paypal returned my money.
    Ironically, about a week later the item did finally arrive.

#1004 2 years ago

Selling my HF cart if you’re local.

SOLD!
    Other - For Sale
    “Selling my Harbor Freight 500 lb lift table with modifications to use as a pinball lift cart. It works great and only selling because I’ve downsized and have no reason for using ...”
    2021-09-29
    Reading, PA
    110 (OBO)
    Archived after: 1 day
    Viewed: 188 times
    Contributed to Pinside

#1005 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Selling my HF cart if you’re local

I wish I was closer, I'm about to pick one up at HF this week.
    If you're going to Pincinnati i would take it in December instead.

#1006 2 years ago

Distance always is the issue. Say I won’t be out there.

#1007 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Distance always is the issue. Say I won’t be out there.

Was worth a shot and I don't blame you, that's probably a 7 hour drive or something...

5 months later
    #1008 2 years ago

I'm having this problem with my Harbor Freight lift where when I try to press the release handle, it won't engage smoothly.

So for example, I'll jack up a machine, and then I'll try to gradually release the hydraulic pressure, but there seems to be this threshold point on the handle where it just won't release. So what ends up happening is I have to keep squeezing it harder and harder, and all of a sudden it releases a large amount of pressure and it causes my machine to fall several inches.

Has anyone encountered this issue and if there's a fix for it? I don't want to end up damaging a machine one day because it drops too fast.

1 week later
    #1009 2 years ago

Mine does that as well. I just make sure the pin is higher than the drop so ground contact is gentle. If I had to guess, it is an air pocket compressing.

#1010 2 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I'm having this problem with my Harbor Freight lift where when I try to press the release handle, it won't engage smoothly.
    So for example, I'll jack up a machine, and then I'll try to gradually release the hydraulic pressure, but there seems to be this threshold point on the handle where it just won't release. So what ends up happening is I have to keep squeezing it harder and harder, and all of a sudden it releases a large amount of pressure and it causes my machine to fall several inches.
    Has anyone encountered this issue and if there's a fix for it? I don't want to end up damaging a machine one day because it drops too fast.

I find the trick is to squeeze REALLY, REALLY gently and slowly. Like crazy slow, with just barely increasing force. Usually that prevents the sudden drop for me, and then I get a smooth descent for the pin. But it is tricky to not accidentally squeeze too hard, too fast.

I've also noticed that it's worse the heavier the object that I'm lifting/lowering.

#1011 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I find the trick is to squeeze REALLY, REALLY gently and slowly. Like crazy slow, with just barely increasing force. Usually that prevents the sudden drop for me, and then I get a smooth descent for the pin. But it is tricky to not accidentally squeeze too hard, too fast.
    I've also noticed that it's worse the heavier the object that I'm lifting/lowering.

I think I figured out how to solve the issue, in case others are having this problem:

If you raise the hydraulic lift all the way up to its highest point with nothing on it, slowly release the hydraulic pressure until it goes back down. Do this a couple of times and it should now more easily lower when a pinball machine is on it.

I believe what it may have been was air in the hydraulic line, which is a common problem with all hydraulics. The lift also has a way to release any air via the tank it has underneath the cart, but I didn't need to do that.

3 months later
    #1012 1 year ago

Does anyone have any experience with rebuilding the hydraulic cylinder? My old friend has developed a leak and needs new seals. Does anyone have the seal dimensions so I can rebuild the cylinder? I know I should buy a new one but my cart has served me well for over a decade and I just dont want to cast it in the trash. We have moved over a hundred of games and it would be a shame to let a leaky seal stop us now!
    Thanks,
    Al

#1013 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

Does anyone have any experience with rebuilding the hydraulic cylinder? My old friend has developed a leak and needs new seals. Does anyone have the seal dimensions so I can rebuild the cylinder? I know I should buy a new one but my cart has served me well for over a decade and I just dont want to cast it in the trash. We have moved over a hundred of games and it would be a shame to let a leaky seal stop us now!
    Thanks,
    Al

not sure how you would find the seals other than taking it apart and it should have the size on them if its a lip seal, normaly three numbers width, inside diameter, outside diameter. if its an oring you could just measure the size diameter and thickness. they might have the whole cylinder at harbor freight.

#1014 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

Thanks,
    Al

I have the table lift, manufactured by Pittsburgh Automotive (item no 61405). It was purchased from Harbor Freight last year so I don't know if this is the same lift you have.

My lift came with a parts breakdown diagram for the hydraulic ram. Although it lists all of the o-rings used in the ram, it does not give any indication as to the size of each of those o-rings. There is a phone number for technical support, 1-800-444-3353. They might be able to provide detailed specs on the o-rings. They might also sell just the hydraulic ram so you can just replace that component instead of trashing the whole thing.

4 weeks later
    #1015 1 year ago

Hi All, I saw a lot of posts about not being able to get a harbor freight lift because website always says not available. I called three in my area to verify before leaving. 2 sites said available and it actually wasn't. The 3rd site said not available and wasn't but told me when one would be coming in and to call to verify. I called and they had it and I picked it up. Their site still said n/a. Ignore the sites, call them to find out when it's coming in. If they don't know, ask when they get deliveries and call that day.

1 month later
    #1016 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Once modified, the Harbor Freight options are very good.
    I think that the best overall pinball lift is the original Penguin. From woodrails to modern games, the Penguin dolly checks all of the boxes, particularly if you're not inclined to perform the modifications.
    I have had a Penguin lift for about 3 decades, which has worked flawlessly. As I recall, Penguins sold new for $350 -$450.
    The problem is that the Penguin hasn't been available for many years, to my knowledge. Used ones do show up for sale, though. A somewhat similar discontinued lift was made by Wico, although I prefer the Penguin's overall construction. Both are nearly indestructible workhorses..[quoted image][quoted image]

I have had both for over a decade and all things considered, I would save my Penguin dolly if I was forced to only keep one.

#1017 1 year ago

Here is a pinball dolly that looks similar to the Penguin Pinball Dolly. The web page indicates that they will be back in stock on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2022.

https://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82_246&products_id=1315&zenid=k1rbp43p7ek8rnpcuhhv6j4jg7

Gord

#1018 1 year ago

The release cable on my HF lift broke at the handle… anyone know how to get another?

#1019 1 year ago

You may have to cobble it a bit, but a new cable and handle for bicycle brakes should work. Talk to someone at your favorite bicycle shop.

#1020 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

You may have to cobble it a bit, but a new cable and handle for bicycle brakes should work. Talk to someone at your favorite bicycle shop.

I went to a bike shop to get a long section of brake cable. That has worked just fine for my cart.

#1021 1 year ago

I need a new cable to. Headed to the bike shop.

#1022 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Thanks that’s a great idea. I’m guessing they sell the ferrules too.

#1023 1 year ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

Thanks,
    Al

Do you know how to tell if a seal is blown?

#1024 1 year ago

A seal is blown if it blows oil out around the shaft and/or the table can’t/won’t expected weight.

Sometimes, you will find a puddle under it after it’s been in one spot for awhile.

1 month later
    1 week later
    #1027 1 year ago
    Quoted from fuseholder:

Has anyone used this?
    amazon.com link »

Just by looking at it, the surface area of the platform seems too small to safely balance a full cabinet on its own. However, you might be able to get away with using it just for propping up the back end of the game for putting on the back legs. Although, considering the height of the lift, I'm not sure if you would be saving yourself much effort.

#1028 1 year ago
    Quoted from fuseholder:

Has anyone used this?
    amazon.com link »

This doesn't look like it would work too small at the top and bottom ,the pinball machine would rock around too much

#1029 1 year ago

How about a cart that has all 4 wheels swivel 360°? Most have the front 2 fixed forward. I am in a tight space and need the extra turning power of a zero point spin. Ideas or suggestions?

#1030 1 year ago

So I was bringing home a pin the other day and abruptly found out my table won't lift. No hydraulic fluid spill, and pumping the handle does nothing. Think the release may be stuck. I've never repaired anything like this before so any help would be appreciated.

#1031 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoasterG:

So I was bringing home a pin the other day and abruptly found out my table won't lift. No hydraulic fluid spill, and pumping the handle does nothing. Think the release may be stuck. I've never repaired anything like this before so any help would be appreciated.

If you haven't raised it in a while, sometimes you will need to lift it up a little, then give it a few pumps, then it will start going.

#1032 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ballderdash:

How about a cart that has all 4 wheels swivel 360°? Most have the front 2 fixed forward. I am in a tight space and need the extra turning power of a zero point spin. Ideas or suggestions?

Don't do it. I did try it only because harbor freight was out of the stationary wheels. I changed the stock wheels to tires I could put air in. You'll have no control of cart if you need to go down a ramp. I thought it would be a good idea but I changed them as soon as I could. 360° tires on front and stationary on back.

#1033 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Don't do it. I did try it only because harbor freight was out of the stationary wheels. I changed the stock wheels to tires I could put air in. You'll have no control of cart if you need to go down a ramp. I thought it would be a good idea but I changed them as soon as I could. 360° tires on front and stationary on back.

No wamps to shoot here... lol. Just need something to pull pin forward and rotate 90° in place.

How did you swap the harbor freight wheels that were fixed? They look welded on in all the pictures.

#1034 1 year ago

I think the reason that the carts don't come with 4 swivel wheels is because it'll be too easy and tempting to push a machine sideways rather than just pulling it forward or pushing it back.

I can see bad things happening if you push the machine sideways and the cart hits a spot it won't roll across easily.
    It'll tip and spill your machine on the ground.

Stability sideways is next to none.

I'm with the rest of the crowd here....swivel in the front, stationary in the back.

I do like the idea of bigger tires though.
    Spiderpin can you post some pics of your new tires? How did you mount them to the cart?

#1035 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Do you have any pics of your setup? I was wondering about changing to pneumatic tires

#1036 1 year ago
    Quoted from CoasterG:

Occasionally mine won’t lift and I have to either adjust the set screw or simply pivot the rocker (no idea what it is called) back. If the rocker is depressing the release valve even just a little the lift won’t go up. Pics of valve pushed, not pushed, and me rocking it back and forth. This can be caused by a cable that is bound up or too tight. There are cable adjustment screws by the lever and above the big spring.
    4CBC0998-5216-4DD3-AD48-433A78AFBF98 (resized).jpeg4CBC0998-5216-4DD3-AD48-433A78AFBF98 (resized).jpeg97E40B1E-DFD5-46DA-9EE5-557E64EBEEA2 (resized).jpeg97E40B1E-DFD5-46DA-9EE5-557E64EBEEA2 (resized).jpeg379CD452-6C44-4614-8A25-405C8B7E0811 (resized).jpeg379CD452-6C44-4614-8A25-405C8B7E0811 (resized).jpeg

#1037 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

Do you have any pics of your setup? I was wondering about changing to pneumatic tires

I'll get pics tomorrow. They were on my other phone.

Quoted from Ballderdash:

No wamps to shoot here... lol. Just need something to pull pin forward and rotate 90° in place.
    How did you swap the harbor freight wheels that were fixed? They look welded on in all the pictures.

I did use a grinder to remove the hard wheels that came with the lift. And a welder for new wheels.

#1038 1 year ago

Here's the pictures. Front swivels rear stationary.

PXL_20221208_010219727 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010219727 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010240250 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010240250 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010530759 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010530759 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010541714 (resized).jpgPXL_20221208_010541714 (resized).jpg
    #1039 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Here's the pictures. Front swivels rear stationary.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Thanks for sharing

#1040 1 year ago

Eek! No offense, but that weld on the stationary wheel looks a bit poor. If that mount is galvanized, you'll need to sand it down a bit to get that coating off as it'll foul up your gas while you're welding, which is kinda what it looks like happened there. Either way, I'd be cutting that thing off and rewelding it ASAP.

#1041 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Eek! No offense, but that weld on the stationary wheel looks a bit poor. If that mount is galvanized, you'll need to sand it down a bit to get that coating off as it'll foul up your gas while you're welding, which is kinda what it looks like happened there. Either way, I'd be cutting that thing off and rewelding it ASAP.

None taken, I got kicked out of welding school. Yes the weld is questionable on sides. Big gap and was in hurry. Better weld on front and back, both surfaces were touching. It's been like that for about 3 years now and moved approximately 30-40 pins in and out the house, down a ramp. Also move pins around within the room itself.
    It's on my list of items to revisit.

#1042 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

None taken, I got kicked out of welding school. Yes the weld is questionable on sides. Big gap and was in hurry. Better weld on front and back, both surfaces were touching. It's been like that for about 3 years now and moved approximately 30-40 pins in and out the house, down a ramp. Also move pins around within the room itself.
    It's on my list of items to revisit.

And now it will break on the next pin you move....because you mentioned it. Jinx!

#1043 1 year ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

And now it will break on the next pin you move....because you mentioned it. Jinx!

If that happens, you can blame me solely for it breaking!

#1044 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

The release cable on my HF lift broke at the handle… anyone know how to get another?

I took mine in to the local bike shop and after explaining what it was they were happy to do it for the cost of the parts. I reciprocated with a 6-pack of great beer and they were thrilled! And now my cable says, "Shimano Racing", so how cool is that?!

2 weeks later
    #1045 1 year ago

Just got one for Christmas and made a TikTok video of the mod. I went with 45 degree angles and pins so I could remove the handle.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRqcuGja/

#1046 1 year ago
    Quoted from MC35:

Just got one for Christmas and made a TikTok video of the mod. I went with 45 degree angles and pins so I could remove the handle.
    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRqcuGja/

Very cool, and a nice walk-through. Thanks for putting that together, a video always makes it easier to follow along.

#1047 1 year ago
    Quoted from Desmodromic:

Very cool, and a nice walk-through. Thanks for putting that together, a video always makes it easier to follow along.

You're welcome. Hopefully it helps someone who wants to mod it like this.

#1048 1 year ago

In case anyone is wanting one of these lifts, Harbor Freight has a 25% off coupon that runs through Jan.2 2023.

180916_68395075 (resized).png180916_68395075 (resized).png
    #1049 1 year ago

Fine print on the coupon says it can’t be used on carts or jacks, so I’m guessing it can’t be used for these.

Edit: It works!

#1050 1 year ago

It showed working when I checked. It doesn’t exclude jack carts.

There are 1,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.