Topic Stats

• 1,219 posts
  • 373 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Ballderdash
  • Topic is favorited by 413 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1778 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1271 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1270 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1269 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 25.
    #951 3 years ago

I added a 6 inch platform to my 500lb HF lift. Tried it today. Works great from the back. Need to modify the handles to use it it from the front. With the extension it only takes about eight pumps to get the legs of the ground. And yes, this is Houston2, the second prototype revealed in Houston a while ago. It is not a production machine.

20210418_173737 (resized).jpg20210418_173737 (resized).jpg
    #952 3 years ago

I got so many ideas from this thread, I wanted to post how a modified my HF 500lb cart. I bent the handle and used some PTO pins. I just drilled the handle and handle mount holes to attach. I then drilled two holes through the handle in top to pin the handle down for transport and storage.

6CB75613-590F-4176-8632-808B3A9BFCF9 (resized).jpeg6CB75613-590F-4176-8632-808B3A9BFCF9 (resized).jpeg6F9CB9D6-1005-45F0-8DC1-141CC0B032F6 (resized).jpeg6F9CB9D6-1005-45F0-8DC1-141CC0B032F6 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #953 2 years ago

Anybody see any issue with getting black plastic bimini 1" end caps for the bimini method? I can get 4 for $8 shipped ->

https://www.amazon.com/SUNOOM-Bimini-Fittings-Hardware-Accessories/dp/B08T9F9C66/ref=sr_1_12

Not only are they cheaper, but I was thinking it would be easier to drill through the sides of these to bolt them to the handle rods instead of relying on the allen screws.

Screenshot_1 (resized).pngScreenshot_1 (resized).png

#954 2 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

Fixed it....adjusted the cable on the release....works like a champ now. Drops very slow....which is fine for me...

I have the opposite problem. Raises just fine. Pump pump pump an inch or so at a time. BUT, when I need to lower the table, it's ALL or nothing! Pulling the reklease lever half way or so, and then the slightest additional pull and the loaded table drops like a rock! NOT sure if there is anything that can be done. This is the 500# HF table, about 4 months old now.

Anyone else dealt with this behaviour and any type of fix???

#955 2 years ago

On my lift, most times the first pull makes it come down slow.
    Let go and pull again, drops more quickly but not fast

#956 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogdog:

Anybody see any issue with getting black plastic bimini 1" end caps for the bimini method? I can get 4 for $8 shipped ->
    amazon.com link »
    Not only are they cheaper, but I was thinking it would be easier to drill through the sides of these to bolt them to the handle rods instead of relying on the allen screws.
    [quoted image]

I'd absolutely try these. I used the metal caps and they work great but they were pricey.

#957 2 years ago

Pricey and it seems like a bolt going through the cap rather than the little hex screw would be more secure.

#958 2 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

Pricey and it seems like a bolt going through the cap rather than the little hex screw would be more secure.

Thanks DeeGor . I don't know who you are but your advice is always spot on so I definitely trust whatever you say here in the forums.

1 week later
    #959 2 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

That is what I did with the metal caps. The set screw kept falling out. Haven't had that issue with bolts.

#960 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I have the opposite problem. Raises just fine. Pump pump pump an inch or so at a time. BUT, when I need to lower the table, it's ALL or nothing! Pulling the reklease lever half way or so, and then the slightest additional pull and the loaded table drops like a rock! NOT sure if there is anything that can be done. This is the 500# HF table, about 4 months old now.

Mine is similar but if I gently pull the release handle, I can get the cart to lower slowly, but it certainly is a sweet spot. I have tried adjusting the cable, but that didn’t change anything. I am not sure if adding any more hydraulic fluid would help, but just read a post about these needing topping off and so may try that. If anyone has a solution, I’m all ears.

#961 2 years ago

anyone has a good way to get the lift 1-2" higher, my car trunk is just a little high compare to its full extension.

#962 2 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

anyone has a good way to get the lift 1-2" higher, my car trunk is just a little high compare to its full extension.

Couple pieces of wood on top of the lift platform? Like this mod?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/17#post-5718982

#963 2 years ago

Anyone else dealt with this behaviour and any type of fix???

The release handle cable is just like a bike brake, you can try to adjust the tension

#964 2 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

Yup! A few users have done this and even a few posts up someone shows a wood spacer.

#965 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

The release handle cable is just like a bike brake, you can try to adjust the tension

Mine is not. It does nothing until I hit a point about half way, and then the slightest additional pull drops it like a rock all the way down.

#966 2 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

Along the same theme of stuffing 2X4s in there, here is how I did it with mine:
    20171017_215840 (resized).jpg20171017_215840 (resized).jpg20171017_215903 (resized).jpg20171017_215903 (resized).jpg20171017_215916 (resized).jpg20171017_215916 (resized).jpg

You could go crazy and use 4X4 if you want a bit more height in it. Added bonus, with the holes in the table, I'm able to secure my dinky playfield stand onto the cart so can't shift around.

20210531_093505 (resized).jpg20210531_093505 (resized).jpg

I guess one could go nuts and rig up a rotisserie stand onto a cart for a playfield swap and be able to move it around if needed.

#967 2 years ago

Mine is not. It does nothing until I hit a point about half way, and then the slightest additional pull drops it like a rock all the way down.

Hve you tried adjusting it? It is the inverse of a bike brake, the harder you pull/press the faster it will go but it does allow for adjustment. I will get pictures when I have a min

#968 2 years ago

pretty good idea, safer that using an angled ramp i guess...

As soon as i can remove the extra boards on top when not needed and the top is still flat. I "slide" machine form vertical to horizontal or horizontal to vertical (all the way at the bottom) which help me set the games up/put them away.

#969 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Hve you tried adjusting it? It is the inverse of a bike brake, the harder you pull/press the faster it will go but it does allow for adjustment. I will get pictures when I have a min

Yes, I have adjusted the cable. No affect on the speed of lowering. Adjusting the cable just causes the 'drop point' to move on the handle pull. But like I said, when I finally hit that spot, it drops all the way down instantly. I suspect the cylinder is broken, defective or missing fluid???

#970 2 years ago

Yes, I have adjusted the cable. No affect on the speed of lowering. Adjusting the cable just causes the 'drop point' to move on the handle pull. But like I said, when I finally hit that spot, it drops all the way down instantly. I suspect the cylinder is broken, defective or missing fluid???

whoa, ya, it shouldn't do that. do you have the 500lbs or 1klbs lift? They look like the same mechs but just different toughness. Let me check mine again

#971 2 years ago

Mine does the same—I can though occasionally find a sweet spot with the handle pull where I can get it to lower slowly, but it isn’t easy and it lowers too quickly at times when I overshoot the right spot.

I too don’t know if topping off the hydraulic fluid will work or if I have a lemon, but am willing to try adding fluid if this might solve the problem (though the last time I did this with my floor jack, I apparently overfilled it and had hydraulic fluid squirt all over my garage (even on the ceiling!) the next time I used it and so I haven’t had the courage to do this yet with the HF lift as I am obviously not doing something right when I add hydraulic fluid and still not sure if it’s a viable solution in this particular case).

#972 2 years ago

And at least mine is the 500 lb lift. Not sure about Mark’s lift.

#973 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

whoa, ya, it shouldn't do that. do you have the 500lbs or 1klbs lift? They look like the same mechs but just different toughness. Let me check mine again

Mine is the 500# unit

#974 2 years ago

After messing with my 500 lb HF lift yesterday, I realized that the issue with my lift is not the same as that of Markharris2000's lift. In particular, my lift table will drop only a short distance (<1" or so) when the release handle is pulled and then it will continue to lower slowly whereas it sounds that Markharris2000's lift is dropping all the way to the floor when the handle is pulled. I can find a sweet spot on the release handle in which I can get it to lower slowly and so haven't bothered to see if I can fix it (until yesterday).

Although I don't have a solution for Markharris2000's lift, I attempted a couple of potential fixes on mine to attempt to resolve its problem. None worked. These include (again) attempting to adjust the release cable--like Markharris2000 said for his lift, this had no impact aside from moving the point at which the release handle causes the table to lower. I also added hydraulic fluid to the cylinder (following bleeding instructions for the lift), but it didn't have any noticeable effect either. I suppose it's possible that there is a small pocket of air that I didn't remove that is still causing the problem or that the release valve is just not working properly. At some point in the future I may try removing all the fluid and then adding a new batch, but in the meanwhile I will just keep trying to find that sweet spot on the release handle pull.

#975 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogdog:

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

OK, finally got around to doing this mod. Got $2 worth of hardware from Ace. I used ->

12 #10 washers
    4 10-32 2" bolts
    2 10-32 1" bolts
    6 10-32 locknuts

It did take me about 30-45 minutes, mainly with drilling holes without a vice and a hand drill. But, this seems absolutely solid. Its a $10 upgrade instead of $30, and with the bolts, its not going to ever slip.

20210607_203947 (resized).jpg20210607_203947 (resized).jpg20210607_203955 (resized).jpg20210607_203955 (resized).jpg
    #976 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gogdog:

OK, finally got around to doing this mod. Got $2 worth of hardware from Ace. I used ->
    12 #10 washers
    4 10-32 2" bolts
    2 10-32 1" bolts
    6 10-32 locknuts
    It did take me about 30-45 minutes, mainly with drilling holes without a vice and a hand drill. But, this seems absolutely solid. Its a $10 upgrade instead of $30, and with the bolts, its not going to ever slip. [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great! Any concerns about durability? They do look pretty solid.

#977 2 years ago

I guess it's time for me to try and bleed/re-fill the cylinder and see kif that helps with my dead-drop table.

#978 2 years ago

I guess it's time for me to try and bleed/re-fill the cylinder and see kif that helps with my dead-drop table

When I topped mine off it needed maybe about 3 or 4 ounces or so (or maybe more—forgot to check the level on the container before I started adding fluid). The plug is a major pain to put back in—have fun with that! After I filled it, put the plug back in, and began lowering the lift, it stopped lowering and I could see the plug beginning to pop out. I ended up using a large slotted screwdriver to press on the side of the plug to release an ounce or so of fluid until it lowered completely.

Good luck!

#979 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

That looks great! Any concerns about durability? They do look pretty solid.

Yeah, they feel plenty solid to me. They are built to withstand a motorboat's bimini, even though they are plastic. Its a strong plastic though.

#980 2 years ago

Today I received a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight that's good through the weekend. If anyone needs a coupon, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

1 week later
    #981 2 years ago

+1 for the plastic bimini (post 953 & 975, https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/20#post-6324312 )

That is what I used and it is very solid. Thank you @gogdog.

Next on the list is the mod at Post 966 (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/20#post-6312107), pencilneck

#982 2 years ago

FYI: There is a safety latch on this table that is usable when the table is in the full upright position.

I accidentally tripped it when I was moving a pin and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't lower.

#983 2 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

FYI: There is a safety latch on this table that is usable when the table is in the full upright position.
    I accidentally tripped it when I was moving a pin and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't lower.

Been there, done that! It's not that hard to accidentally engage it, either... as I found out the hard way!

2 weeks later
    #984 2 years ago

I like the idea of getting more height and smoother ride by upgrading the wheels. Does anyone have a link to a recommended set they know works?

2 months later
    #985 2 years ago

Here is another option for a lift table. Says it can lift 660 lbs. Being all wood it may be easier for moding. Can't beat the price at $23.98 USD. CAUTION: Probably a scan!
    Video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=4054349281340512
    Vendor: https://www.boiye.com/products/summer-sale-23-98-wooden-lifting-table
    dzyg9Yvme7tqFfRdouY4kA (resized).pngdzyg9Yvme7tqFfRdouY4kA (resized).png

#986 2 years ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

Here is another option for a lift table. Says it can lift 660 lbs. Being all wood it may be easier for moding. Can't beat the price at $23.98 USD.
    Video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=4054349281340512
    Vendor: https://www.boiye.com/products/summer-sale-23-98-wooden-lifting-table
    [quoted image]

I would be suspect of that since they stole the images and video from a guy who made that 4 years ago. Seems like a scam...

#987 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I would be suspect of that since they stole the images and video from a guy who made that 4 years ago. Seems like a scam...

Yeah... the sales link doesn't work. (However, very cool...)

#989 2 years ago

Anybody have any other brands they’d recommend... i’m sick of checking the Hf website inventory almost daily for the last 6 months lol

#990 2 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

Anybody have any other brands they’d recommend...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200696308_200696308 I got one of these. Very helpful.

LTG : )

#991 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I would agree. Pretty shady!

#992 2 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

Anybody have any other brands they’d recommend... i’m sick of checking the Hf website inventory almost daily for the last 6 months lol

You can check their site to see if another store has one within 100 miles. With the costs of ocean freight skyrocketing because of the global supply chain crisis, you may end up paying a lot more than $200 when it's restocked at your local store. Most companies were paying $5K to ship a container from China to the US, but since the supply chain crisis started last year, rates are as high as $15K per container. Either retailers will be able to pass along that price increase, or they'll dramatically slow down their purchases.

1 week later
    #993 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Just did the bimini cap mod following the excellent instructions from Daditude. Here is my how-to video

Very helpful. Thank you!

#994 2 years ago
    Quoted from pencilneck:

Along the same theme of stuffing 2X4s in there, here is how I did it with mine:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What did you use for the metal pins in the 2x4s?

#995 2 years ago

0.500" aluminum round rod. I rounded over the end on a belt sander then cut it to length of 1.500".... hot hot hot... so each peg has a rounded end and a raw crappy bandsaw cut. They poke out of the 2X4 right at 0.500" and epoxy was used to help keep them in place.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-83048-Aluminum-Outside-Diameter/dp/B00G6J6JC2

#996 2 years ago
    Quoted from pencilneck:

0.500" aluminum round rod. I rounded over the end on a belt sander then cut it to length of 1.500".... hot hot hot... so each peg has a rounded end and a raw crappy bandsaw cut. They poke out of the 2X4 right at 0.500" and epoxy was used to help keep them in place.
    amazon.com link »

Thank you muchly!

#997 2 years ago

FYI
    If it is too good to be true, then it is probably a scam.
    I ordered online from letfli.com (with customer service contact info stating they were in Chino Calif.)
    a Hydraulic Table Lift Jack Cart Heavy Duty Mobile With 1000 Lb Capacity
    for $79.99
    I knew it was probably a cheap piece of equipment from China
    but was willing to take a chance,
    since Harbor Freight has been out of stock of its lift table for a while.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    I paid for it via paypal and the money was taken from my paypal account within minutes,
    but I never got an order acknowledgement via email as promised by website from the seller,
    until I contacted them directly via email and after a couple of exchanges
    and with me clearly explaining what I had ordered
    I got a tracking number for the item, with the seller stating it may take 10-15 days to get it in the mail.

It appeared that the item (via air) left China (Wuhan) after about a week from when initial order was placed,
    Then it took about 3 more weeks for it to appear to arrive in the USA and be given to USPS for final delivery.
    I was not too alarmed cause I know how long the backlog is for orders from overseas to clear customs.
    Then it appeared to move rapidly from Southern California to me in Oregon.
    When I got the email notice from USPS (via tracking alert) that the item was delivered to my mailbox
    I was a little puzzled since this item would not fit in Mailbox, assuming the lift table to be about the size of a large microwave oven.
    See below what I found waiting for me in the mailbox.
    shower cap recieved (resized).jpgshower cap recieved (resized).jpg

A pink shower cap!?!?!

I contacted Paypal right away and filed a dispute claim online
    and to my surprize paypal reimbursed me the full amount immediately.
    Live and learn.

#998 2 years ago

whoa quite the experience there... glad to see you got the full money back

#999 2 years ago

WOW and WTF! Why Pink.

#1000 2 years ago

Baby blue with yellow flowers would have been so much nicer

There are 1,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/20?hl=emspence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.