Topic Stats

• 1,208 posts
  • 370 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by Williampinball
  • Topic is favorited by 414 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG
    PDC04708.JPG
    PDC04709.JPG
    PDC04706.JPG
    PDC04707.JPG
    IMG_1245 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 25.
    #901 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These things are cheap. I too went through the “can I buy a new wheel?” Thing with harbor freight. I was kind of annoyed until I remembered I’d got over 10 years out of a lift cart I paid $120 for.

Probably easier to just buy a new one.

Not quite 10 years out of mine, though I have thought about it since someone my hydraulic is a bit moody (guess it is due to a drain)... I was waiting for a 20-30% BOOOOOM discount

But if you have an old one with some extra wheels lying around, i'll take them

#902 3 years ago
    Quoted from hisokajp:

answer is "to buy a new one

think I'd just go to the surplus hardware store buy a set of 4 wheels and drill new holes .....how long could it take

#903 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

think I'd just go to the surplus hardware store buy a set of 4 wheels and drill new holes .....how long could it take

yeah i think that's going to be next weekend project.

#904 3 years ago

Harbor freight doesn't sell any spare parts for the 500 lb lift. My cylinder slowly leaks through and the table lowers itself. Not a problem for me. I called them just the other day to ask about a replacement and they told me no spare parts. The parts shown in the instruction book parts breakdown are just for information purposes. Can't order any of them.

I went with the 500 lb lift over the 1000 lb model because the larger one didn't fit between the legs on some machines (i.e., wedgeheads for one). I easily modified for adjustable/folding handle as shown.

IMG_7356 (resized).JPGIMG_7356 (resized).JPG
    #905 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Still the best way to go. The latest cart I saw (and purchased) still has the fixed handle. I just muscled a 60 degree bend in it, and simply pop it out of the guides then lay it flat for storage under a game when not in use.

Thanks. So long as the handle is actually removable, this will work for me.

I dig that Granger one, but can’t justify the price. I have a very specific purpose for this that isn’t worth another $500.

#906 3 years ago

Just now watching BattleBots and all of them are using a Harbor Freight cart to bring their Bot to the ring . Looks like they don't have to worrie about the handle ! Too hard to see if they replaced the wheels .

#907 3 years ago

I received an email from HF today with a 25% off coupon good for most items in the store. I tried applying the coupon online just to see if it would work for the 500 lb lift table and it did. So, I went to my local HF store. The coupon worked just fine and I got the cart for $135 plus tax. Nice! Now on to the mods.

#908 3 years ago

Just snagged my 1k lbs cart today at HF with the 25% off

https://www.harborfreight.com/online-promo-2020.html?cid=sitebanner_hp_friends

8348D054-2D04-4329-838D-6D55B57CFB96 (resized).jpeg8348D054-2D04-4329-838D-6D55B57CFB96 (resized).jpeg
    #909 3 years ago

perfect timing to buy a replacement if i need to!

#910 3 years ago

So I just unboxed the 1000lb lift and it doesn't raise. I did not bleed it because it says raise before bleeding. Any insight?

#911 3 years ago
    Quoted from mthirkell:

So I just unboxed the 1000lb lift and it doesn't raise. I did not bleed it because it says raise before bleeding. Any insight?

Try bleeding

#912 3 years ago
    Quoted from mthirkell:

So I just unboxed the 1000lb lift and it doesn't raise

mine did the same thing right out of the box .....raised the table by hand by just grabbing the top and pulling it all the way up and then the damn thing worked .

I have no problems with it now

#913 3 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:mine did the same thing right out of the box .....raised the table by hand by just grabbing the top and pulling it all the way up and then the damn thing worked .
    I have no problems with it now

The release cable just needed to be adjusted. It was so tight the valve was closed. Just assembled poorly.

#914 3 years ago
    Quoted from mthirkell:

The release cable just needed to be adjusted. It was so tight the valve was closed. Just assembled poorly.

oh interesting. I need to get mine out of the suv still.. your tip may come in handy!

1 month later
    #915 3 years ago

Just did the bimini cap mod following the excellent instructions from @daditude. Here is my how-to video:

1 week later
    #916 3 years ago

I just bought one of these in Canada (not a HF though, we have something similar)...

I am getting my first Stern game (AIQ) and was wondering if the bottom of the cabinet is MDF or plywood and what is recommended to do, to lift from the bottom of the cab or the sides?

any experiences with Stern cabs?

#917 3 years ago

Ok bought the 500lb HF lift a month or so ago....did the handle mod...ant stored it. Now I need to move my games... pump the handle... comes up.. get it located...then nothing... release...pump the handle...nothing... wait a while etc... does the same thing... up...and then nothing... ideas..??? Brand new... never used...

#918 3 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

Ok bought the 500lb HF lift a month or so ago....did the handle mod...ant stored it. Now I need to move my games... pump the handle... comes up.. get it located...then nothing... release...pump the handle...nothing... wait a while etc... does the same thing... up...and then nothing... ideas..??? Brand new... never used...

There are a few people in this thread who also had the problem, even before they modded the handle. I didn't have the problem so I didn't pay miuch attention to them, but I think it had to do with an adjustment screw somewhere.

#919 3 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

The cable adjustment is very finicky. I just wiggle the cable when I need mine to lower.

#920 3 years ago

Yes sometimes mine won't raise or lower, just move handle up or down gets it working. I think it's the release cable moving that helps.

#921 3 years ago

Store manager told me all new carts ship 1/2 full hydraulic fluid . He had 6 returns which would not fully lift .

If someone has filled their hydraulic level please post " how to " and any words advice .

Thanks Shane

#922 3 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

Fixed it....adjusted the cable on the release....works like a champ now. Drops very slow....which is fine for me...

#923 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I just bought one of these in Canada (not a HF though, we have something similar)...
    I am getting my first Stern game (AIQ) and was wondering if the bottom of the cabinet is MDF or plywood and what is recommended to do, to lift from the bottom of the cab or the sides?
    any experiences with Stern cabs?

bumping this, any comments on how to move newer sterns cabs?

#924 3 years ago

bumping this, any comments on how to move newer sterns cabs?

I just moved 2... Munsters LE and Batman 66. I just placed 2 2x4s on the table cross ways so lifted across the cabinet in 2 places... make sense?

#925 3 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

I just moved 2... Munsters LE and Batman 66. I just placed 2 2x4s on the table cross ways so lifted across the cabinet in 2 places... make sense?

were the 2 x 4 extending out were you can see them from above or simply lifting from the bottom panel, in other words, were the 2x4 just touching the bottom panel and not the sides? just wondering how strong the bottom panel is and if it can take that kind of pressure (I have seen it in older games works fine, just not sure about new ones)

#926 3 years ago

were the 2 x 4 extending out were you can see them from above or simply lifting from the bottom panel, in other words, were the 2x4 just touching the bottom panel and not the sides? just wondering how strong the bottom panel is and if it can take that kind of pressure (I have seen it in older games works fine, just not sure about new ones)

No sticking out a few inches on either side....using the cabinet and not the bottom panel

#927 3 years ago

I have moved probably 6 modern Stern games with this lift table using only the bottom panel, and have never had an issue.

#929 3 years ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

I have moved probably 6 modern Stern games with this lift table using only the bottom panel, and have never had an issue.

Good to know. I was not sure so the way I did seemed it would be stronger...

#930 3 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Store manager told me all new carts ship 1/2 full hydraulic fluid . He had 6 returns which would not fully lift .
    If someone has filled their hydraulic level please post " how to " and any words advice .
    Thanks Shane

There is a rubber plug pushed in the side of the cylinder, remove plug and fill with hydraulic jack fluid with jack lowered till oil runs out of the hole, then reinstall plug.

#931 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/18#post-5879241

There are several creative solutions in this thread. This is one link. Post #827 is another solution.

Like others I use a couple 2x2 boards to ensure I’m lifting via cabinet not the bottom panel.

#932 3 years ago

the mods are great, lots of great ideas....

what is the point of keeping the handle other than for lowering the platform..?

I am wondering, can the be steered by pushing the machine once it has been lifted...?

if that is the case, the handle can be removed altogether and just keep a small release switch/lever by the base....

the cart can then be pulled with strap similar to those used in tie-downs/ratchets, instead of this flimsy and thin metal tubing..

#933 3 years ago

I am wondering, can the be steered by pushing the machine once it has been lifted...?
    if that is the case, the handle can be removed altogether and just keep a small release switch/lever by the base....
    the cart can then be pulled with strap similar to those used in tie-downs/ratchets, instead of this flimsy and thin metal tubing..

First off the expensive pinball dollies - dollies made specifically to move pinballs - see image below, are designed to lift up on the bottom panel, not the sides.
    Agreed the sides are stronger but unless you have a machine with a rotted bottom panel (which should be replaced anyway) you shouldn't need to worry about lifting using the bottom panel. Be more concerned with where you place the dolly so it is balanced well when it is lifted.

Having the handle is useful for moving/locating the dolly under the machine, moving/jockeying/driving the machine once it is lifted and for moving your dolly to a good storage spot. The handle is a pain for storage which is why there are so many mods to get these to fold flat when not in use. Also some of the handles need to be modded because they will not go past 90 degrees which prevents being able to move the dolly far enough under your machine to get a good balanced lifting spot.

I have seen/used handleless dollies which are pretty cool. But I still prefer the handle because its usefulness exceeds its limitations.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #934 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

First off the expensive pinball dollies - dollies made specifically to move pinballs - see image below, are designed to lift up on the bottom panel, not the sides.
    Agreed the sides are stronger but unless you have a machine with a rotted bottom panel (which should be replaced anyway) you shouldn't need to worry about lifting using the bottom panel. Be more concerned with where you place the dolly so it is balanced well when it is lifted.
    Having the handle is useful for moving/locating the dolly under the machine, moving/jockeying/driving the machine once it is lifted and for moving your dolly to a good storage spot. The handle is a pain for storage which is why there are so many mods to get these to fold flat when not in use. Also some of the handles need to be modded because they will not go past 90 degrees which prevents being able to move the dolly far enough under your machine to get a good balanced lifting spot.
    I have seen/used handleless dollies which are pretty cool. But I still prefer the handle because its usefulness exceeds its limitations. [quoted image]

Fnsom - Do you have one of these? I have the HF lift table that I use in the garage and it works great, but I admit I'm little leery of bringing it in the basement. Would hate to have it puke oil on the carpet. So I've thought of trying one of those pin dollies like you showed since it doesn't appear to be hydraulic. Or is it hydraulic (sort of looks like there might be a piston)?

#935 3 years ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

That myself too. 25-30 lifts some pins 3-4 time. A few pins twice in one day, when I shuffle line-up.

#936 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Fnsom - Do you have one of these? I have the HF lift table that I use in the garage and it works great, but I admit I'm little leery of bringing it in the basement. Would hate to have it puke oil on the carpet. So I've thought of trying one of those pin dollies like you showed since it doesn't appear to be hydraulic. Or is it (sort of looks like there might be a piston)?

I do not have the pin dollies but I have had the same oil puking issue with my HF's. They don't leak anymore but it was a mess for a while. As for the pin dollies I have used both hydraulic and non-hydraulic versions. The hydraulics require less athletics then the non-hydraulic versions, but both are easy to use once you have been instructed on the way they are designed to be operated.

#937 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

That myself too. 25-30 lifts some pins 3-4 time. A few pins twice in one day, when I shuffle line-up.

do you extend the table by means of extra wood or anything? just wondering.

#938 3 years ago

No I just line it up so it's under cabinet and not touching the sides, front or back. That includes pins build in the 1970's.

#939 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

No I just line it up so it's under cabinet and not touching the sides, front or back. That includes pins build in the 1970's.

Here's s pic of Aerosmith on HF lift.

20181110_114703_HDR (resized).jpg20181110_114703_HDR (resized).jpg
    #940 3 years ago

Another ? Do you drop top while moving? I did...not sure I needed to...

#941 3 years ago
    Quoted from JMCFAN:

Another ? Do you drop top while moving? I did...not sure I needed to...

Yes I do. If moving to load and haul on truck. Didn't in this picture, from room to room or just moving in a room I don't. Just go slow.

#942 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

Yes I do. If moving to load and haul on truck. Didn't in this picture, from room to room or just moving in a room I don't. Just go slow.

Remember, also, that moving around the room or from room to room, you only need the game slightly off the floor. My back legs are probably less than an inch off the ground when I move mine, that way if something were to go wrong and it falls, it’s not falling far or tipping over.

#943 3 years ago

Has anyone figured out a easy wheel replacement for this cart yet. So it can go over door jams easily.

1 month later
    #945 3 years ago

For those using the flag pole mounts for hinges, go to Amazon and look for "DZS Elec 2pcs M8x65 Black Bike Seat Clamp Seat Post Quick Release", $8. I had to file some minor flat spots on it so when it is flipped to the release position, it opens up just a bit more so the splines clear each other.

001 (resized).jpg001 (resized).jpg

002 (resized).jpg002 (resized).jpg
    #946 3 years ago

I was going to try this, funny they crimp the lead stud in the handle on after assembly, so you have a very hard time just removing the handle.

#947 3 years ago

Is there a fix for when you pull the release handle just a speck the thing comes crashing down too fast?

Mine works perfectly fine, but a buddy of mine has one and it is way too touchy.

#948 3 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Is there a fix for when you pull the release handle just a speck the thing comes crashing down too fast?
    Mine works perfectly fine, but a buddy of mine has one and it is way too touchy.

I think that is just the adjustment of the cable, loosen it via the nut on the underside of the lift near the shock, I need to do this as well

#949 3 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

The release cable needs some slack in it. Under cart adjust nut if it's not bottomed out. It's the first nut at or at hydraulic pump loose cable slide out or

Quoted from northvibe:

I think that is just the adjustment of the cable, loosen it via the nut on the underside of the lift near the shock, I need to do this as well

This is correct. Was getting ready to post. But your a bit faster.

2 weeks later
    #950 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’m planning to get a lift table. Is Harbor Freight the way to go, or are there better alternatives? 500 lb table fine with me. Do any now come with adjustable handles that can be lowered? Or is this still a home mod?

Once modified, the Harbor Freight options are very good.

I think that the best overall pinball lift is the original Penguin. From woodrails to modern games, the Penguin dolly checks all of the boxes, particularly if you're not inclined to perform the modifications.

I have had a Penguin lift for about 3 decades, which has worked flawlessly. As I recall, Penguins sold new for $350 -$450.

The problem is that the Penguin hasn't been available for many years, to my knowledge. Used ones do show up for sale, though. A somewhat similar discontinued lift was made by Wico, although I prefer the Penguin's overall construction. Both are nearly indestructible workhorses..

Screenshot_20210321-152623_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210321-152623_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210321-152638_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210321-152638_Chrome (resized).jpg
    There are 1,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/19?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.