New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 19065)

Modified Harbor Freight Lift Table

By wizzardz

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 881 posts
  • 290 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 352 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

p_1000401603 (resized).png
    CE244712-6AFE-4001-B60F-0F1873CA7AF1 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    TopRotated (resized).png
    ModfiedLift (resized).png
    lift (resized).png
    lifted (resized).png
    assembled (resized).png
    angle (resized).png
    FlagBracket (resized).png
    cap (resized).png
    20200928_194220.jpg
    20200928_194220.jpg
    2 (resized).JPG
    20200927_184802.jpg
    20200927_184802.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 881 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.
    #851 22 days ago

Piston seal is probably bypassing if it’s not the cable out of adjustment

#852 22 days ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Curious, has anyone's lift failed to keep it's height? I've had mine for years and currently have a project cab sitting on it. Noticed today it lowered itself completely. Lifted it back up, few hours later, lowered again. Piston going? Or is there something else I should look at?
    Thanks

Mine will slowly leak down, so when I have a project machine on it for awhile I put down the safety bars. that way it only goes down a bit before the bars stop it.

#853 21 days ago
    Quoted from cad-kid:

Mine will slowly leak down, so when I have a project machine on it for awhile I put down the safety bars. that way it only goes down a bit before the bars stop it.

I just think it's a good practice to put the safety bars down regardless. Just because unexpected things happen...

#854 21 days ago
    Quoted from cad-kid:

Hmm, safety bars you say.....Are those on the 500lb one? If so, oops...

#855 21 days ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Hmm, safety bars you say.....Are those on the 500lb one? If so, oops...

No worries, learning safety stuff is a good thing

There's one on each side. I've circled them in red.

2 (resized).JPG
    #856 21 days ago
    Quoted from cad-kid:

No worries, learning safety stuff is a good thing
    There's one on each side. I've circled them in red.
    [quoted image]

Ha! Have only had this thing almost 10yrs, never knew those were there (facepalm).

Thanks!

#857 21 days ago

All right you made me look . My cart is over ten years old ( orange ) no safety bars on it !

#858 21 days ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

All right you made me look . My cart is over ten years old ( orange ) no safety bars on it !

Interesting! But I'm guessing your lift works better than mine

#859 19 days ago

After spending the afternoon struggling to move 4 machines around my house and reading this thread I went to Princess Auto (the Canadian equivalent of Harbor Freight) and bought the 500 lb lift table for $229 CAD + tax. Turned out to be on sale for $100 CAD off (30%). Brought it home and played with a little and decided to make a few modification.

First issue was the handle didn't allow me to get the cart far enough under the machine so it would be balanced when lifted. Here is the list of parts I used which I sourced from the plumbing section at Home Depot. I think these parts totaled less then $8 CAD.

• Two 2.5" galvanized iron nipples
    • Two 5.5" galvanized iron nipples
    • Two galvanized iron 45 degree elbows
    • Two 1" copper couplings

Assembled Angle Bracket
    I assembled the iron pipe parts. There was some extra play in the cart bracket so I used the 1" copper pipe connector as a bushing. I then drilled a hole through one side of the 2.5" nipple and copper bushing so the set screw on the cart bracket would hold the assembly tight. I inserted the 5" nipple into the handle which fits very snugly and did the same on the other side. I then manipulated the handle to get the 2.5" nipples into the brackets on the cart and tightened down the set screw. This process required a little extra length in the release cable but there was plenty of length.
    Completed Handle

Next, I wasn't happy with the table picking up the piball machine with all of the weight being carried by the bottom board, instead of the edges. I liked the ideas to add a rotating top from p2k in post #616 and tranquilize in post #643.

So I picked up some more parts at Home Depot. Here is the parts list.

• 12" swivel (rated for 1000 lbs) which included eight 5/8" flat metal screws. Cost $14.59 CAD + tax
    • 28" x 18" - 3/4" plywood
    • Two 28" long 1" angle iron
    • Four 1/2" #10 flat machine screws, nuts and lock washers
    • Twelve 1" #10 flat machine screws, nuts and flat washers

I was concerned about the plywood flexing too much when lifting a pinball machine so I reinforced it with 1" angle iron on both sides, which I painted black to match the cart. I also cut the plywood so the top of the angle iron would be flush with the top of the plywood. I attached the angle iron to the plywood with six 1" #10 flat machine screws, nuts and flat washers on both sides. I had also drilled the holes in the angle iron so the screws would be counter-sunk and flush with the surface.

The order of the assembly to attach the swivel is very specific because you can't separate the two swivel plates. I drilled four 1/4" holes into the top of the metal lift table using the swivel bottom plate as a template. I spent extra time making sure it was absolutely centered. I then used the top plate of the swivel as a template to locate the holes to be drilled into the plywood. Again I spent extra time making sure the swivel was absolutely centered. I drilled four pilot holes into the plywood and a single 5/16" hole through the plywood, in line with one of the holes in the lower swivel plate. I attached the swivel to the bottom of the plywood using four of the 5/8" metal screws.

I flipped the plywood over and rotated the lower plate to align the single hole I had just drilled through the plywood with with one of the holes in the lower plate. I then aligned those holes with one of the holes in the metal lift table surface. I insert one of the 1" screws through the holes and loosely attached it with a lock washer and nut. I then rotated the plywood to align the next set of holes. I loosely fastened the screw, washer and nut and repeated for the remaining two holes. After all the screws were in place, I then went back and tightened them.
    Lift Cart with Swivel TopLift Cart with Swivel Top Rotated
    I also got rid of the nasty smelling rubber mat that came with the lift and replaced it the a piece of door mat that I secured to the plywood surface with a few pieces of carpet tape. Parts totaled about $12 CAD.
    Positioning Lift Under Cleopatra Lifting Cleopatra
    I decided not to replace the two fixed wheels. They are welded on to the frame and would take too much work with a grinder and welder to replace.

I have moved the machines around some more with the modified lift cart and am happy with the performance. However I would like to fold the handle over to store it. I have considered the Bimini Top Cap External Eye End Boat Fittings concept. Parts would be about $35 CAD.
    Bimini Top Cap
    However I think I would want something a little stiffer in the joint. I am thinking I will do the flag pole wall bracket method posted by kungfucop in Post #132. Parts are going to be about $88 CAD.Flag Wall Bracket

#860 19 days ago

Got to take care of those great EM games too. You think they would catch on and just manufacture them that way for the pinball public here.

#861 18 days ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

I have considered the Bimini Top Cap External Eye End Boat Fittings concept. Parts would be about $35 CAD.

The bimini caps have worked well for me with 1 exception. The set screws would fall out and disappear. I replaced them with short bolts and have not had a problem since.

#862 18 days ago

I drilled my tubes out put long bolts through

#863 18 days ago

I am suprised no one extends the pump arm.

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #864 18 days ago

I use this for pitch adjustments. Left to right level. No hurry, no turtle lift, no help. Take your time for the perfect gameplay!!! Also used it to put on my pinGulp/Drink holder...Lol!!!

CE244712-6AFE-4001-B60F-0F1873CA7AF1 (resized).jpeg
    #865 18 days ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

[quoted image]

The longer the arm gets, the bigger the stroke.

#866 18 days ago
    Quoted from RDBowers:

12" swivel (rated for 1000 lbs) which included eight 5/8" flat metal screws. Cost $14.59 CAD + tax

Can you show a pic of the swivel and/or post a link for the unit you purchased?

#867 18 days ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

I use this for pitch adjustments. Left to right level. No hurry, no turtle lift, no help. Take your time for the perfect gameplay!!! Also used it to put on my pinGulp/Drink holder...Lol!!!
    [quoted image]

I use my knee or shoulder to do that lol

#868 17 days ago

It is the same length of stroke but i extended the arm so i can pump it with the handle.

#869 17 days ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

Can you show a pic of the swivel and/or post a link for the unit you purchased?

Here is a link.
    p_1000401603 (resized).png

#870 17 days ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

[quoted image]

Got a link for for the lift? Thanks ahead time.

#871 16 days ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Got a link for for the lift? Thanks ahead time.

CURT 28321 Weld-On Pipe-Mount... amazon.com link »

#872 16 days ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

CURT 28321 Weld-On Pipe-Mount... amazon.com link »

Thanks!

2 weeks later
    #873 2 days ago
    Quoted from crlush:

I like the bimini end mod the best but my cheap ass wouldn't spend the $30 so I welded some 3/16 pieces of angle iron to the pipes after cutting them around 6 inches from the bottom and used 2 5/16 bolts.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good looking welds. I think I actually like this better than the biminis.

#874 2 days ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

[quoted image]

Some have. The first mod I saw actually had a very long extension that the owner would actually use to push/pull the cart with.

#875 2 days ago
    Quoted from Bumper:

Thanks Bad-Sir-Ivan, this was the nicest solution, I just did mine within 10 minutes after waiting a few weeks for my package arrive.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32919265179.html get the 25mm, two of them including shipping is about $25 total. You will need a 3mm hex key to tighten them.
    I used the $5 Harbor Freight pipe cutter at 16 inch from the floor to make the cuts, probably 17 inch from the ground also would have worked, but not higher to fit under my lowest machine.[quoted image]

Thanks for the alternate cut height recommendation. I'm sure it will serve some well. I did encounter issues with some machines that had the levelers set low. In determining my initial cut height of 21", I failed to allow for the height that would be added by the couplings. I ended up taking an inch off the top section of the handle and have had no issues since. I no longer need to move the pump handle when I drop the main handle down and I can also drop the lift height with my foot the same way I raise the lift height. As a result, I am now recommending removing a 1 inch section from the handle with cuts at 21 and 22 inches from the floor.

I'm assuming your 17 inch requirement is to accommodate the early 60s Gottleibs with those oddly cut cabs. When I have to move my Big Top I just go under from the side and then position it as normal. Works just fine.

#876 2 days ago

I'm planning to build a cart but seems Harbor Freight doesn't have a #500 table the past few times I checked. After looking through this thread I see many good ways to make the handle work. I want to put pnematic tires on the cart. Should all 4 be swivel? Or just 2? I can see benefits of either.
    My main concern is the table just lifting the bottom with the edge. Could the bottom break? Thoughts?

#877 2 days ago

If you enjoy dancin’ with the cart, put 4 swivels on it! Otherwise, just 2.

#878 2 days ago
    Quoted from plumbertim1:

I'm planning to build a cart but seems Harbor Freight doesn't have a #500 table the past few times I checked. After looking through this thread I see many good ways to make the handle work. I want to put pnematic tires on the cart. Should all 4 be swivel? Or just 2? I can see benefits of either.
    My main concern is the table just lifting the bottom with the edge. Could the bottom break? Thoughts?

Take a look at post #149. The gent installed some boards to support the entire bottom. Looks like he catches the edge of the cabinet too.

#879 19 hours ago

Was able to track down a 500 pounder in Bronx, NY and did the bimini cap modification. It was simple and people should have no worries doing it. The toughest part is cutting down the handle. I have the tool linked to make that task like butter. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-high-speed-electric-cut-off-tool-63023.html Thanks for the tips.

#880 17 hours ago
    Quoted from sassicaia:

The toughest part is cutting down the handle. I have the tool linked to make that task like butter.

I used a simple pipe cutter for $5.99:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-inch-to-1-1-8-eighth-inch-tubing-cutter-92878.html

#881 17 hours ago

Same and it worked incredibly well and cleanly. Much easier than a hacksaw.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Decals
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 12.75
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 259.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    There are 881 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside