Topic Stats

• 1,208 posts
  • 370 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Williampinball
  • Topic is favorited by 414 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7624 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_6652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6520 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3836 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3839 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3840 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3834 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3835 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3833 (resized).jpeg
    PDC04705.JPG
    PDC04708.JPG
    PDC04709.JPG
    PDC04706.JPG
    PDC04707.JPG
    IMG_1245 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 25.
    #501 5 years ago

that's funny, didn't know there was a thread on modifying handles to these lifts.
    the first one I did the handles didn't last more then 10 moves. Obviously 3/4 copper pipe doesn't hold up well when you put to much force on it.
    The second attempt has been stable for about 2 years now, with probably close to 200 moves.

I had some regret when I first got the one that lifted up so high (since it wobbles a little) until I had to get a game off a loading dock.
    the stickers are compliments of my 2 year old nephew.

Dolly_pic_2 (resized).jpgDolly_pic_2 (resized).jpgdolly_pic_1 (resized).jpgdolly_pic_1 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #502 5 years ago

Just bought my table. I’m trying to get ahold of these hinges. Wish me luck!
    They are in Bloomfield Hills, MI if anyone is close by?

012A85F2-DE6C-4693-A0E0-892509B65DA4 (resized).jpeg012A85F2-DE6C-4693-A0E0-892509B65DA4 (resized).jpeg

#503 5 years ago

I modified mine like post 486 using the bimini caps off Amazon and some bicycle seat clamps. Works great! Now to somehow extend the pump handle... Thanks for the idea @aukraut!

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

Just bought my table. I’m trying to get ahold of these hinges. Wish me luck!
    They are in Bloomfield Hills, MI if anyone is close by?
    [quoted image]

Looks way too pricy, and I think this is for a single hinge.

http://www.mechanismsmarket.com/products/val10-variloc-incremental-aluminum-locking-hinge.html

#505 5 years ago

Yes, they sent me a pricing sheet and one hinge is $90+
    I'm sure it's of high quality, but I could buy another project pin or EM for that money!!

#506 5 years ago

Didn’t realize those hinges I posted were posted back on #406.
    I just bought 4 Flag Pole Brackets for $22 on EPay.

Used our Cart last night to move a 250+lb live Christmas Tree. Wrapped the tree in a tarp, strapped the handle down flat to the table and used the cart to position the tree.

Merry Christmas!

203222BD-4218-427D-BB9F-9843205AD2D5 (resized).jpeg203222BD-4218-427D-BB9F-9843205AD2D5 (resized).jpeg
    #507 5 years ago

So are these table jacks pieces of crap now or something? I bought two of the 1000 lb jacks (one for me and one for my dad), both of which needed tons of bleeding and fiddling to get them to actually lift. Once they would lift I cannot get them to full height. They're both a little over an inch short. My dad went and bought a 500 lb jack and his seems to be great, so I went and picked one up to keep inside with my games. The thing lifts, but now I can't get it to lower...the valve cannot be adjusted any further to push it in more. Fun stuff, 3/4 of the jacks I've bought have been crap right out the gate.

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

So are these table jacks pieces of crap now

Good question, I bought mine (500lb) from the “returns” in the front of the store. Even used the 20% discount. Already assembled, I haven’t had any problems with it (yet).

#509 5 years ago

I modified my table using the Stanley Hinge version of the mod. I had to loosen the cable to provide more slack and then reattached it, and now the table will go up, but it won't go down.

When I raise it to the maximum height, and then pull the release lever, it will slowly drop about 4 inches, but then stops and will not drop any further. And yes, I've checked the safety stops - they are not engaged. That's not what is causing it to stop.

Any suggestions?

#510 5 years ago

I visually like all of the commercial ways people have shown to hinge the handle compared to my very cheap (under $5 modification, free if you have a box of random hardware around the house, post #141 of this thread).

What I am concerned about his how well some of these will hold up if you really have to pull on the handle hard, like when you are moving over a high threshold and you can easily jerk with 100 lb of force. I would worry the metal in the hinge would shatter.

I would agree that the 1,000 lb lift table is way to heavy if you ever plan on traveling with it. The 500 lb lift table is already a PIA to lift into a car and transport. I have always looked at the 500 lb model to see if I could cut down the weight (I think the bottle jack is a lot of the excess weight). I really like taking it with me to buy pins, it lets me easily pull legs, move, and load into a car. With one of these tables and a dolly I can move a pin by myself, which is often critical when I am buying a single pin from a random owner who is unable to help with the move (or you don't want them to help).

If you need the table to lift higher just put something on the table to fill in gap between the bottom of the pin and the lift table to get extra height. I recall using two plastic milk crates next to each other with good success when I had to load into a 4x4 truck.

#511 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChipS:

I modified my table using the Stanley Hinge version of the mod. I had to loosen the cable to provide more slack and then reattached it, and now the table will go up, but it won't go down.
    When I raise it to the maximum height, and then pull the release lever, it will slowly drop about 4 inches, but then stops and will not drop any further. And yes, I've checked the safety stops - they are not engaged. That's not what is causing it to stop.
    Any suggestions?

Check you cable adjustment - can you get any more travel out of it?

#512 5 years ago

Well I swapped my 500lb table, the new one does work but I don't seem to have any sort of control when lowering it. It's just one speed. With no weight it's fairly slow/reasonable but when a pin is on it the table drops pretty fast so I can't really ease it on to the ground. I've tried playing with the cable but I can't find any sort of configuration where it will let me do a slow descent.

#513 5 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

Well I swapped my 500lb table, the new one does work but I don't seem to have any sort of control when lowering it. It's just one speed. With no weight it's fairly slow/reasonable but when a pin is on it the table drops pretty fast so I can't really ease it on to the ground. I've tried playing with the cable but I can't find any sort of configuration where it will let me do a slow descent.

Earlier in the thread, I'm sure there is discussion of the valve adjustment

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Earlier in the thread, I'm sure there is discussion of the valve adjustment

Yeah there was plenty of discussion on it, but I couldn't find any posts where people have solved it really. I've adjusted the hell out of it but mine seems to only have one speed, it feels like it is either open or closed with no inbetween. So maybe this needs to go back...for the second time.

Edit: I screwed around with it enough and have gotten it to slowly drop. Though no matter what I do I cannot get fine control. Considering I bought this specifically for pins I'm not worried.

1 week later
    #515 5 years ago
    Quoted from atrainn:

I screwed around with it enough and have gotten it to slowly drop. Though no matter what I do I cannot get fine control.

I bought mine used and it works the opposite - when loaded it slowly drops, and when not it drops quickly. In either case there is no fine control, it's either moving or not.

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I bought mine used and it works the opposite - when loaded it slowly drops, and when not it drops quickly. In either case there is no fine control, it's either moving or not.

That's the same way mine does. I like it like that. Once legs touch the floor for a smooth landing table lowers quickly.

1 week later
    #518 5 years ago

So this is my version. Bought the 1500 lb motorcycle lift for $89, less 20%. Added 5 " wheels@ $6 each, less 20%. Built a box from scrap 2x6, u- bolted it to lift, built a 40" handle out of 1 1/4 tubing. Have approx $110 invested

20181219_170758 (resized).jpg20181219_170758 (resized).jpg20181219_170812 (resized).jpg20181219_170812 (resized).jpg20181219_170826 (resized).jpg20181219_170826 (resized).jpg
    #519 5 years ago

The carpeted pieces have a strip under to hold from sliding, lift right off. Works great

1 week later
    #520 5 years ago

$129 with the coupon if anyone is looking for a deal. Good through 2/28.

E26D5E73-BBC9-4CA5-866C-20A252D6FBE6 (resized).jpegE26D5E73-BBC9-4CA5-866C-20A252D6FBE6 (resized).jpeg
    #521 5 years ago

& they have a 20% off for the next few days too.

#522 5 years ago

I found the 20% coupon, but where's the $40 off coupon?

#523 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

I found the 20% coupon, but where's the $40 off coupon?

You can just read them the code: 49112098.

That coupon was in the newest catalog. You could also possibly print the one above. Or show them from your phone.

Not sure, but it probably won't stack with the 20% off. If it does, though, they have a 25% super coupon through 1/1/19: 99823891

#524 5 years ago

Can't coupon stack.. so you normally see if the sale price is cheaper than the usual 20% off.. sometimes they offer 25% coupons.

#525 5 years ago

A couple years ago you could stack coupons. Then they had a code update that removed stacking and can only get one free item a day.

1 month later
    #526 5 years ago

Hi all,

this has probably been covered but......

My lift does not go down anymore (no wife jokes). Actually, it starts to go down very slowly, then stops, slightly higher than the bottom of a pin, so I can't slide it underneath any more. It won't budge no matter how much weight I put on it, or even if I lift the release by hand instead of using the cable release.

Any ideas?

#527 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi all,
    this has probably been covered but......
    My lift does not go down anymore (no wife jokes). Actually, it starts to go down very slowly, then stops, slightly higher than the bottom of a pin, so I can't slide it underneath any more. It won't budge no matter how much weight I put on it, or even if I lift the release by hand instead of using the cable release.
    Any ideas?

I’m going to guess the safety bar engaged.

#528 5 years ago
    Quoted from AMBoggs:

LOL, There's a safety bar?

So there is! I've had this for years and never noticed.

Thank you!!!

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from AMBoggs:

Quoted from DropTarget:

So there is! I've had this for years and never noticed.
    Thank you!!!

Seriously?? I didn't realize this either, will have to check at home tonight.........

#530 5 years ago

finally ditched the fence hinges and went with bimini caps. Sorry for the foggy pics. I need to novus 2 my phone lens again2019-01-29 17.36.20 (resized).jpg2019-01-29 17.36.20 (resized).jpg
    2019-01-29 17.36.30 (resized).jpg2019-01-29 17.36.30 (resized).jpg

Now I need to do something about the release cable

#531 5 years ago

I went the route of standing on the table and bending the handle.

AE45AEDA-2225-4483-8245-9D62C58B608C (resized).jpegAE45AEDA-2225-4483-8245-9D62C58B608C (resized).jpeg

#532 5 years ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Instructions? What are those?

#533 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerBall:

[quoted image]

Hmm. Is there an issue when the handle flips back down?

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

Instructions? What are those?

we don't need no stinking' instructions

3 weeks later
    #535 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Can't coupon stack.. so you normally see if the sale price is cheaper than the usual 20% off.. sometimes they offer 25% coupons.

Yeah, I asked the other day, and the computer wouldn't take the $40 off AND the 20%.

#536 5 years ago

Im looking to modify the handle and possibly the lift handle as well.

What are the best (and cheapest) solutions?

#537 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Im looking to modify the handle and possibly the lift handle as well.
    What are the best (and cheapest) solutions?

Your in the right place... read the thread to find out.

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Your in the right place... read the thread to find out.

Tldr. I need cliffs notes

#539 5 years ago

Great thread, gonna go the bimini route. Seems like I will have the least chance screwing it up this way. Thanks everyone.

#540 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Great thread, gonna go the bimini route. Seems like I will have the least chance screwing it up this way. Thanks everyone.

What is the "bimini" route?

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Tldr. I need cliffs notes

Our starting rate is $50/hr

#542 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerBall:

[quoted image]

And this works?

#543 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

What is the "bimini" route?

post #360 , 361, 384 were good.

#544 5 years ago

Hi guys, I have had the HF lift for about 3 or 4 years now.
    I would not be without it.

One thing that I did to mine that does not appear in any of the pics here is:
    I removed the pump arm and made one out of 5/8" rebar in the same orientation but added about 4" to it.
    So when the lift is under the machine the handle hits the pump arm and I can use the handle to pump up the machine.

#546 5 years ago

Just ordered these puppies, thanks !

Quoted from Cheddar:

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

#548 5 years ago

I cut off 3 inches from the handle and put it in the bottom of the hinge. I used bolts with lock nuts and put a washer in between the tabs. I live it so far

#549 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I cut off 3 inches from the handle and put it in the bottom of the hinge. I used bolts with lock nuts and put a washer in between the tabs. I live it so far

Any specific size with the bolts and nuts? Got my bimini caps and lift ready to go!

#550 5 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Any specific size with the bolts and nuts? Got my bimini caps and lift ready to go!

I just went to Ace with the caps and got a good fit. I don't remember the size

There are 1,208 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 25.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.