Flaptargetrelease (resized).jpg
20180217_002821 (resized).jpg
20180216_195122 (resized).jpg
20180216_195026 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180214_105342 new (resized).jpg
IMG_20180214_104457_old (resized).jpg
IMG_20180214_105528_worn gear (resized).jpg
20171229_005046 (resized).jpg

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from superJackpot:

Have you been able to monitor the mod's performance? How is it holding up?

No feedback yet, hoping to get some information soon about the performance so far

1 week later
#152 5 years ago

I would be interested in buying 1 kit maybe 2 ! I have 2 games, one that I'm in the process of restoring and probably will do the other one as well, depending on how good the first one turns out? I was thinking of a way to do something to make it so the MPF wasn't so sloppy and thought I would come on here to see if any of the great minds of Pinside had done anything before I reinvent the wheel, and low and behold I see that you have done an amazing mod! wow! Very impressive ! Add me to the list please! Thanks for sharing your work with us! It really amazes me that people are willing to take the time and share their talents with us! ok I'm going to shut up now ,sorry for rambling will be waiting for the day of production ! If you still need testers I'm in. Thanks again Ulf!

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdeyo57:

I would be interested in buying 1 kit maybe 2 ! I have 2 games, one that I'm in the process of restoring and probably will do the other one as well, depending on how good the first one turns out? I was thinking of a way to do something to make it so the MPF wasn't so sloppy and thought I would come on here to see if any of the great minds of Pinside had done anything before I reinvent the wheel, and low and behold I see that you have done an amazing mod! wow! Very impressive ! Add me to the list please! Thanks for sharing your work with us! It really amazes me that people are willing to take the time and share their talents with us! ok I'm going to shut up now ,sorry for rambling will be waiting for the day of production ! If you still need testers I'm in. Thanks again Ulf!

Thank’s! this may take a while, neither one of the beta kits have been installed yet.
I received feedback about the BP kit, it's holding up well and no issues with the elevator so far, estimated play is about 50 games/day minus some issues with the flipper board for a week.

#154 5 years ago

I know you want to make sure their perfect but After reading the thread ,watching the vids , I seriously would buy them now !

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdeyo57:

I know you want to make sure their perfect but After reading the thread ,watching the vids , I seriously would buy them now !

You're probably right about this being good enough to sell, I've been quite patience with the installation of B1 and B2, 3 months have passed now but I'm not ready to give up on Yellowdog and Whysnow yet.
I think most people agrees that 4 month to install it would be a generous amount of time, and 6 months would be ridiculous long.
I'm already considering other options for testing and will rely on those who make things happen, this may upset some people on the interest list but it's based on having the 5 beta kits installed and tested, which I'm by the way giving away for free since I have no interest of trying to scam or earn money from someone without having it tested.
So we'll see what happens next..

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

You're probably right about this being good enough to sell, I've been quite patience with the installation of B1 and B2, 3 months have passed now but I'm not ready to give up on Yellowdog and Whysnow yet.
I think most people agrees that 4 month to install it would be a generous amount of time, and 6 months would be ridiculous long.
I'm already considering other options for testing and will rely on those who make things happen, this may upset some people on the interest list but it's based on having the 5 beta kits installed and tested, which I'm by the way giving away for free since I have no interest of trying to scam or earn money from someone without having it tested.
So we'll see what happens next..

I am on it next in line. Just got done with show season. Need to swap the game off route so I have time to install and test at home and then take back to route. I am still happy to pay you for it.

Can you email me the current guide for install please? I want to make sure I have all parts in place and ready to go before tearing the game apart. Thx again

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am on it next in line. Just got done with show season. Need to swap the game off route so I have time to install and test at home and then take back to route. I am still happy to pay you for it.
Can you email me the current guide for install please? I want to make sure I have all parts in place and ready to go before tearing the game apart. Thx again

That sounds good, there's probably a lot of people interested on your opinion of the kit.
Money is of no interest for me now, getting help with testing is worth more to me since I don't have much time left for that myself.
You'll receive the latest version today, I've done one update of the draft manual with some minor adjustment, the adjustment of the release mechanism isn't included yet but you'll find it in post #149.

1 week later
#158 5 years ago

Still patiently waiting !!!!

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdeyo57:

Still patiently waiting !!!!

You have to be patient for a while until I figured out how to deal with this, there's probably others before you who are interested to buy it not fully tested as well but if I start selling them too soon and it turns out that I have to make some changes it will be a lot of work for me to deal with.
Even with the CNC these kits takes about 10-12 hours to finish with cutting, grinding, machining, threading and assembly.
After the summer I might be able to give an answer to that, I've shipped a third kit with some new updates and have plans for alternative testing.
I received a new update of the BP kit, the elevator stopped working during the yearly local game festival Nordsken, but it was only a minor problem with a loose cable.
The elevator has passed 1000 counts of game play and no problem with the mechanics yet.

#160 5 years ago

Yes sir! I'll just keep checking on your progress . Glad things are working well so far

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

The elevator has passed 1000 counts of game play and no problem with the mechanics yet.

2 weeks later
#162 5 years ago

Awesome!

3 weeks later
#163 5 years ago

Hey darkpinball how is the mod coming along? Thought I'd check in and see how things are going ? Hope things are going your way!

#164 5 years ago

I'd buy one!

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdeyo57:

Hey darkpinball how is the mod coming along? Thought I'd check in and see how things are going ? Hope things are going your way!

I've been working on updating the shafts and shipped them for testing.
The two initial beta kits hasn't been installed.
Whysnow has realised that he won't have time to install and test it so he will return it to me to give someone else the opportunity to test the B2 kit.
Yellowdog hasn't bothered to update or keep me informed of his progress of the B1 kit installation for about four month, testing it at the www.gamepreservehouston.com seemed like a perfect place at the time as he's one of the owners there, I've asked for a return to give someone else the opportunity to test it but no answer yet.
The B3 kit should be installed by now but I haven't checked for more information about it.
If you're eager to spend some money I will make a kit for you but it will be pricey and I can't give you much guarantees other than than I'll do my best to support and help you out.
I'm at the stage to develop the 3rd modification which I think will be worth waiting for.

1 week later
#166 5 years ago

What a shame people have wasted your time darkpinball, as well as the people waiting for a solution to their machines problems. I have modified mine in this time and it is working nicely again, but I'm sure not as nicely as your kit. So I am still interested whenever you are ready to move forward! Good luck and I hope your next Beta testers will actually do what they agreed to! That's a bummer!

1 week later
#167 5 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

I'm at the stage to develop the 3rd modification which I think will be worth waiting for.

I am willing to wait for the 3rd mod!

#168 5 years ago

Well my DH elevator bracket just had the nonsense bent out of it so now I'll be waiting as well.

#169 5 years ago

Update: darkpinball was kind enough to permit Whysnow to send his beta lifter to the Roanoke Pinball Museum for testing. We bought a new Dr. Who motor but did not want to use it with the old mechanism which was in need of adjustment... as most seem to be.

We will get it installed within a week of receiving it and will observe and report its behavior here.

We have a good environment for testing mods at the museum. Many daily visitors and lots of plays on the games! Also have several LED OCD kits installed here, including Dr. Who. It looks SO much better now.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Update: darkpinball was kind enough to permit whysnow to send his beta lifter to the Roanoke Pinball Museum for testing. We bought a new Dr. Who motor but did not want to use it with the old mechanism which was in need of adjustment... as most seem to be.
We will get it installed within a week of receiving it and will observe and report its behavior here.
We have a good environment for testing mods at the museum. Many daily visitors and lots of plays on the games! Also have several LED OCD kits installed here, including Dr. Who. It looks SO much better now.

Whysnow has been helpful and arranged for the B2 kit to end up at Roanoke Pinball Museum in Virginia for testing so this seems to turn out in a good way.
The B3 kit is close to be installed now and the latest kit I shipped was installed within a few hours the same day after arrival this week, it will be up for testing at the place of Degerforce Pinball, Sweden.

Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Well my DH elevator bracket just had the nonsense bent out of it so now I'll be waiting as well.

Quoted from superJackpot:

I am willing to wait for the 3rd mod!

I'll create another thread when it's ready, the current kit will be available to buy but I don't think there will be a reason when the new version will be available.

1 week later
#171 5 years ago

I'm still very very interested in buying this. I hope you're taking notes, because I'm ready to pay you right now.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm still very very interested in buying this. I hope you're taking notes, because I'm ready to pay you right now.

Ok, no problem, Ill make this for you or anyone whos interested of buying it, price will be 2500sek (thats about 275$ with todays currency) with shipping included, just send me a pm if its still interesting.
I still recommend waiting for the new version, hopefully ready at the beginning of next year.

2 weeks later
#173 5 years ago

OK, guess it is time to step out of the darkness (or Dungeon if you prefer) and state for the record that I am the one who received the B3 kit. Has taken a fair bit longer to get it fully installed and such than I would have preferred, assorted local/personal issues delayed things.

But I think that I am at the point (about 100 games in) where I can offer some observations.

The installation of the kit is actually fairly straight forward, but not for the faint of heart as it does require a bit of drilling, cutting, and some fairly precise measurements for the required modifications to the existing lift frame. Also; I would strongly recommend trying to correct any 'issues' with the lift frame prior to starting to install the kit (frame twisted, mounting ears bent, etc.) since dealing with them after the kit is installed can throw the frame out of square and cause a tilt or binding in the mini-playfield as it moves.

But once installed, the difference is quite dramatic. The mini-playfield is much more 'solid' in each of it's operating positions and much smoother in it's movements. You may find a couple of unexpected things resulting from the added rigidity tho...

* The cushion pad on the 'lock' target should be checked or 'airballs' can become much more common!
* You may find that the shots to the lock saucers seem tighter since the balls will retain more energy.
* Leveling of the front edge of the mini-playfield with the main playfield (especially with 'Cliffy's' installed) is critical, again to keep the number of 'airballs' down.

Also, as I saw a comment in another Doctor Who thread regarding binding after Cliffy's had been installed I would like to point out that this kit has provisions for adjustments on the mini-playfield centering designed in so compensating for the addition of the Cliffy's was about as easy as it gets.

A couple of images of the upgraded unit in it's various positions of play follow. And yes, I know I have a tad bit of leveling to do yet.
There is also a link to a recent video of the playfield in motion. Solid and smooth!

My sincere thanks to Darkpinball for allowing me to be a part of this! I can only imagine what the Mark II version of the upgrade kit will be like!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17rATPgCvT7xnYVneQns58kdW4DvRpr9u

IMG_6039 (resized).JPGIMG_6039 (resized).JPGIMG_6040 (resized).JPGIMG_6040 (resized).JPGIMG_6041 (resized).JPGIMG_6041 (resized).JPG
#174 5 years ago

Right behind you! Glad it is working out!

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

OK, guess it is time to step out of the darkness (or Dungeon if you prefer) and state for the record that I am the one who received the B3 kit. Has taken a fair bit longer to get it fully installed and such than I would have preferred, assorted local/personal issues delayed things.
But I think that I am at the point (about 100 games in) where I can offer some observations.
The installation of the kit is actually fairly straight forward, but not for the faint of heart as it does require a bit of drilling, cutting, and some fairly precise measurements for the required modifications to the existing lift frame. Also; I would strongly recommend trying to correct any 'issues' with the lift frame prior to starting to install the kit (frame twisted, mounting ears bent, etc.) since dealing with them after the kit is installed can throw the frame out of square and cause a tilt or binding in the mini-playfield as it moves.
But once installed, the difference is quite dramatic. The mini-playfield is much more 'solid' in each of it's operating positions and much smoother in it's movements. You may find a couple of unexpected things resulting from the added rigidity tho...
* The cushion pad on the 'lock' target should be checked or 'airballs' can become much more common!
* You may find that the shots to the lock saucers seem tighter since the balls will retain more energy.
* Leveling of the front edge of the mini-playfield with the main playfield (especially with 'Cliffy's' installed) is critical, again to keep the number of 'airballs' down.
Also, as I saw a comment in another Doctor Who thread regarding binding after Cliffy's had been installed I would like to point out that this kit has provisions for adjustments on the mini-playfield centering designed in so compensating for the addition of the Cliffy's was about as easy as it gets.
A couple of images of the upgraded unit in it's various positions of play follow. And yes, I know I have a tad bit of leveling to do yet.
There is also a link to a recent video of the playfield in motion. Solid and smooth!
My sincere thanks to Darkpinball for allowing me to be a part of this! I can only imagine what the Mark II version of the upgrade kit will be like!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17rATPgCvT7xnYVneQns58kdW4DvRpr9u[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's been very valuable to receive information and feedback during the installation, great job!

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Right behind you! Glad it is working out!

Looking very much forward to have it installed and tested at the Roanoke Pinball Museum.

#176 5 years ago

Coming right along! Parts have arrived and we are staging the installation right now. We do not have a drill press on site which is delaying the process.

2 months later
#177 5 years ago

73B13C8C-57A2-4729-AF7F-A0792DD59B0D (resized).jpeg73B13C8C-57A2-4729-AF7F-A0792DD59B0D (resized).jpeg

Update: Lifter installed, and working well! The process was a little tricky in places and required some double-checking, but the movement is smoother and will undoubtedly be much more durable than the original design over time(lord).

We are using the version 1 rails. We will eventually switch to the upgraded ones, but for now, very happy with this mod and will report with any findings here.

BFC86EAC-E1F4-441B-9F12-6DA4C293B4C3 (resized).jpegBFC86EAC-E1F4-441B-9F12-6DA4C293B4C3 (resized).jpeg

By comparison, the original design is just terrible! Placing a rotating cam inside a horizontal lifting channel is just asking for trouble. Ulf’s redesign eliminates it completely... no torsional lifting stress from any angle. We were not certain how it would work until we got it installed and observed the action. Again, very nice, and many thanks!

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

[quoted image]
Update: Lifter installed, and working well! The process was a little tricky in places and required some double-checking, but the movement is smoother and will undoubtedly be much more durable than the original design over time(lord).
We are using the version 1 rails. We will eventually switch to the upgraded ones, but for now, very happy with this mod and will report with any findings here.
[quoted image]
By comparison, the original design is just terrible! Placing a rotating cam inside a horizontal lifting channel is just asking for trouble. Ulf’s redesign eliminates it completely... no torsional lifting stress from any angle. We were not certain how it would work until we got it installed and observed the action. Again, very nice, and many thanks!

Nice to see!
And no drawbacks so far on the other installed kits.
The challenge was turning it into a kit that could be installed as easy as possible since the “crankshaft” concept already exists on the elevator owned by @dendoc, and on firepawa as well, seen in post #124 in this thread.
Parts for the new version is getting ready for installation right now.

#179 5 years ago

What all will be included in the kit, and what original parts are required to complete the assembly?

Thanks for the work and any information!

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

What all will be included in the kit, and what original parts are required to complete the assembly?
Thanks for the work and any information!

This kit replaces the inner bracket, the metal rollers, their washers and the upper brace.
For the kit presented in this thread you need the outer bracket with optos, the cam, a fully functional motor and gearbox with its bracket, these parts should be intact without any major damage.
There will be some options with the new version and a lowered price, but this will be presented in the new thread, I'll do my best to have it done during Januari.
Herés a picture of the parts that's now been installed by @NicoVolta.

20180128_221048 (resized).jpg20180128_221048 (resized).jpg
#181 5 years ago

Following interested put me on the list for the new kit

Thanks

#182 5 years ago

Finally got my DW back!! glad to see this project is still going. I had to sell mine just as testing was starting up. Awesome to see

#183 5 years ago

I’m interested, please add me to the list.

#184 5 years ago

I think it will be easier to fix my outer bracket than the whole thing so I’m in.

#185 5 years ago

Interested as well - please add me to the list

#186 5 years ago

Ditto - looks great and add me to the list

#187 5 years ago

Put me on the list as well please and thank you!

#188 5 years ago

Definitely in the add to list camp, depending on final price.

#189 5 years ago

Dr who is a keeper for me so.........add me to the list.thank you.

#190 5 years ago

Please add me to your list

#191 5 years ago

Thanks for all interest in this, pricing and interest list for the new version starts in the new thread so watch out for it.
Send me pm for buying the current kit.

#192 5 years ago

Link to the new thread would be REALLY REALLY SUPER HELPFUL here, man. (Doubly so since clicking on your forum profile doesn't bring it up!)

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

Link to the new thread would be REALLY REALLY SUPER HELPFUL here, man. (Doubly so since clicking on your forum profile doesn't bring it up!)

I don’t think he created it yet

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from TheKorn:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t think he created it yet

That's correct, sorry I was not clear about it.
I hope to create the Interest thread sometime in January when everything is ready to present.

#195 5 years ago

Also interested.
Price for kit + shipping to the Netherlands please?

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Also interested.
Price for kit + shipping to the Netherlands please?

I have not set the final price on the new kit yet, but with no options it will end up somewhere below 2000 sek with shipping.
All details will be presented when the new interest thread is created, you have to be patient until then.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

I have not set the final price on the new kit yet, but with no options it will end up somewhere below 2000 sek with shipping.
All details will be presented when the new interest thread is created, you have to be patient until then.

For those in the states, that's about $225

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For those in the states, that's about $225

So about $500 Canadian, lol.

Waiting for the new kit in January.

Love the feedback from ArcadeTechNerd and @nicovolta

1 week later
#199 5 years ago

I've received pm with interest of buying the new kit, I just want to clarify that I won't note any interests of it until the new thread is created, most likely mid/late January.
Here is some initial information about the new version:
Thicker shafts with IGUS type bearings and some parts are now FDM printed in PC and PETG.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

#200 5 years ago

Initial testing of Doctor Who Smooth Lifter Kit MkII, 2.5+2+2=6.5kg with 12v, original mpf weighs less than 2kg and runs on 18-20v.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
£ 110.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-doctor-who-mpf-elevator-2nd-mod/page/4?hl=bertodrink1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.