Flaptargetrelease (resized).jpg
20180217_002821 (resized).jpg
20180216_195122 (resized).jpg
20180216_195026 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180214_105342 new (resized).jpg
IMG_20180214_104457_old (resized).jpg
IMG_20180214_105528_worn gear (resized).jpg
20171229_005046 (resized).jpg
There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

Now i have some time to start working with the DW elevator again, some of you may have read about the first job i did so you know I spent a few hours with the elevator before.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-doctor-who-mpf-elevator

I was really excited about the suggested idea of using an actuator and did a video this summer of the elevator during game play, it seemed possible to use an actuator at the time but after some more testing recently with startup and simulating a interruption i realised it won't work, as you can see about 3:48 in this video the cam rotates clockwise past the bottom position to locate where it is after the shut down, this won't be possible to do with an actuator

So my next modification will be similar to what someone did on dendocs elevator, but my intention is to make it as easy as possible for any DW owner to mount.
I have an idea of how to do this and i ordered some parts that I'm currently waiting for so i can begin, this modification will take a few months to finish and there's a chance I will fail but I really like the challenge of making a improvement kit to the elevator
I will update as often as I can or when have something to show, my English may not be the best all the time so feel free to correct me!

#2 7 years ago

Cool, ill be following your progress

#3 7 years ago

This whole project is brilliant. Well done so far.

#4 7 years ago

The bottom of the outside bracket was slightly bent so while waiting for parts i reinforced it with a piece of flat iron to prevent it from bending again as i did in my first mod, I want the bracket to be as straight and perpendicular as possible because i will mount linear guidings on the inside.

20161104_183524 (resized).jpg20161104_183524 (resized).jpg

20161104_210324 (resized).jpg20161104_210324 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

I made a new brace with tight holes and fixed distance for retaining the bracket in parallel.
I'll probably have to mount the linear units a little loose because the bracket is made of bent sheet metal and may vary somewhat dimensionally.

20161108_063915 (resized).jpg20161108_063915 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

I have received the linear units, the quality seems to be really good, especially for this application.
My only concern is if the black dust that occurs inside the pinball machine will affect them.
I'll start making the mounts for them, still waiting for more parts though.

20161122_022811 (resized).jpg20161122_022811 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Following

#9 7 years ago

The mounts are finished and fits almost perfectly into the opening for the original rolls, I have milled them manually and grinded the corners to fit the opening, all parts for the prototype will be manufactured by hand because my CNC is not running yet.

20161128_192057 (resized).jpg20161128_192057 (resized).jpg

20161128_192225 (resized).jpg20161128_192225 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10 7 years ago

attachment for the shafts on linear unit.

20161205_121744 (resized).jpg20161205_121744 (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

The linear guide block for shafts and mounts under the mini playfield is finished.
I did an offset on the attachment for the mini playfield so mpf is further back in order to make more space to fit cliffys.
I miscalculated it a lot so they have to be made again, about ⅛” instead of 1/32” , but it will work for testing.
I won't be able to do work on this during rest of December.

20161209_065003 (resized).jpg20161209_065003 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
2 weeks later
#13 7 years ago

Thanks, so far it looks quite good but it's a slow progress.
As time goes by i find small improvements i can make on this prototype, i will use the pieces I have made in the test jig, if it works as supposed i will make new ones before testing in the pinball machine.
I bolted the sliding unit together with a piece of flat iron which has the same screw distance as mini playfield and made a short video clip to show movement manually.

#14 7 years ago

That is great! If you ever made a kit available for sale, I would be in. My mpf has been giving me fits!

#15 7 years ago

I hope i will be able to make a kit, that's my intention if I succeed, i want it to be a reliable modification if I'm going to sell it.

2 weeks later
#16 7 years ago

I used my fixture to make threads in the shaft of the cam, i will mount a rod end ball joint here.
Except for the three holes in the bottom of the outer bracket for the reinforcement, this is the only intervention that has to be done so far on the elevator to install my modification.
A hole through the shaft with a nut on the other side might work as well, I'll check if there's enough space behind for a nut later.
I'm nowadays a happy owner of three Doctor Who

20170205_223754 (resized).jpg20170205_223754 (resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

I'm nowadays a happy owner of three Doctor Who

Don't stop now... there have been 12 (13 if you count Peter Capaldi )

William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davison
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Paul McGann
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
Matt Smith
Peter Capaldi
John Hurt

Or just say all your other games are Doctor Who too... but the chameleon circuit is broken on them
faz

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Don't stop now... there have been 12 (13 if you count Peter Capaldi )
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davison
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy
Paul McGann
Christopher Eccleston
David Tennant
Matt Smith
Peter Capaldi
John Hurt
Or just say all your other games are Doctor Who too... but the chameleon circuit is broken on them
faz

I'll just change translite to each and one of the actor's , I have not seen the series yet but I will for sure someday.
Three is more than enough for me, i got an opportunity to buy one more, it's being stored for the moment and one is used for this modification.
The third is in play, I have installed new speakers and Pinsound board in it, a really nice modification, especially with Doctorine’ the Tardis music.
This is a great pinball imo and a keeper for sure.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

I have not seen the series yet

The series has had it's ups and downs.

The first two doctors were in black/white and not many shows are easily available. I used to watch them on PBS when I grew up. All but the newbie die hards will say they move too slow... but that's where all the original long-running character creation came from.

Dr 3 (Jon Pertwee) was a favorite. He was SUCH a lovable curmudgeon! Great stories and good companions.
Dr 4 (Tom Baker) had a long stretch and many of the old timers really got into him. The iconic scarf is probably one of the best Who Props! And who can say anything against Lalla Ward... my favorite Romanadvoratrelundar.
Dr 5 (Peter Davison) was good, but the traveling companions left me flat
Dr 6-7 (we just won't talk about)
Dr 8 was only around for a movie so, nothing much to see there
Dr 9 (Chris Eccleston) was a bit of a jerk but the story lines were really good and fit that kind of Dr. Plus, he introduced Rose who was one of the better companions.
Dr 10 (David Tennant) is my daughter's favorite. The stories were really good and his quirky character fit the stories very well. The younger generation tends to like this doctor; he was an EXCEPTIONAL Doctor.
Dr 11 (Matt Smith) was way quirky and the plot lines got really twisted (in a wonderful way) but you cannot watch Steven Moffat written scripts passively. You need to pay full attention to what's going on... then after you get to the end of the series go back and watch the whole thing again. The arcs in the plot that are not even arcs that you can recognize at the time. The stories are BRILLIANT.
Dr 12 (Peter Capaldi) has been out for a few seasons... I kinda like some of the stories, but his character just annoys me. The only saving grace is Jenna Coleman's character.

John Hurt played the Dr for one episode which was very fun. Watch the other doctors before seeing this one.. it will make much more sense.

My suggestion is to start with David Tennant; work forward from there and then loop back to Jon Pertwee.

As you get deep into the Doctor, look at the backstory and some of the facts behind the camera. There's a lot of great documentaries out there about the start of Dr Who that include the original producers and Verity Ann Lambert's groundbreaking first female in a very male producer club; the call for "No BEMs" (Bug Eyed Monsters); also, some of the fun facts... like Tom Baker married Lalla Ward (his companion) and Peter Davison's real daughter Georgia Moffett married David Tennant after she stared in an episode titled "The Doctor's Daughter" (she was supposed to be a genetic merging of David Tennant's Dr.) ...a bit incestuous no matter how you look at it.

Have fun with the backstory and good luck on the mod!
faz

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Have fun with the backstory and good luck on the mod!
faz

Thanks for sharing the backstory, interesting reading from someone who knows the series, I'll start looking for it, seems like I've missed something and have a lot to learn about Doctor Who.
As for the modification i will hopefully start some testing during this or next week.

1 week later
#21 7 years ago

It's up and running!
I made a mpf dummy of a thick flat iron with a weight of 2.5kg, the original mpf weight is almost 2kg.
I added some extra load with a weight of 2.5kg, so the total load of 5kg is about 2.5x times more than normal.
This was only for testing, it won't be good for the gearbox with a heavier load in the long run.
These parts will not be installed in the pinball because the mpf level will be a little too high, and too far back.
My CNC is working now so i will make the new pieces with it, I'll do my best but our second child is about to be born any day now so don't have to high expectations on this for a while.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

I'll do my best but our second child is about to be born any day now so don't have to high expectations on this for a while.

You gotta have priorities ... work on DW! (Just kidding)

Best of luck with the delivery!
faz

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Best of luck with the delivery!

Thanks, we are looking forward to it.
I will at least try the original mpf in the test jig within a few days, I'll post a video if it works as supposed.

#24 7 years ago

Pics of the baby are welcomed too

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Pics of the baby are welcomed too

I want to spare this topic, and the followers from my personal life
I can be added on other social media like facebook or whatsapp, though I'm not so active on them it's interesting to know people with the same interests, just send me PM.
Here's a video of the elevator mounted in the test jig

#26 7 years ago

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth....

Like a really nice scotch!
faz

#27 7 years ago

I can't wait for a chance to buy this piece of kit...

2 months later
#28 6 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

It's up and running!

Just found this thread today. The actuator/linear guides solution is excellent and looks be a sure fire upgrade.

#29 6 years ago

count me in!

#30 6 years ago

I would by this as soon as it's ready!!!

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from superJackpot:

The actuator/linear guides solution is excellent and looks be a sure fire upgrade.

Thanks! I believe it will be a nice improvement when it's finished, I haven't done much since my last update.
I'll do my best to have 1 or 2 beta kits available during this year for someone to evaluate.

1 month later
#32 6 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

I'll do my best to have 1 or 2 beta kits available during this year for someone to evaluate.

I can't wait!

3 weeks later
#33 6 years ago

Still unpatiently waiting

1 week later
#34 6 years ago
Quoted from adams_arcade:

Still unpatiently waiting

I'm really glad that there is an interest in this modification , and I would really like to finish it as quickly as possible but it will take a few months for me to complete the beta kits with everything else going on in my life
How ever i have decided to skip the threads in the shaft of the cam as there's enough space for a nut on the other side.
A screw with a nut will act as a support for the shaft attachment as it seems to be riveted in the cam, only drilling a hole will also make it a little easier to install.

#35 6 years ago

Agree with the rest - put me on the list when kits are ready!

#36 6 years ago

Sign me up too... the MPF on my location game is pretty wrecked.

#37 6 years ago

When the time is up for testing I think it will be most fair to offer the kits to those who have expressed an interest of buying or testing the modification in this thread, of course if they are interested and agrees to my short list of testing terms.
Although it feels a little early to make a list I have to draw a line from posts made until yesterday for making these beta test kits, which probably means I have to expand the number of 1 or 2 kits anyway, i won't be able to handle too many kits in the beginning if some changes has to be made.
I guess a beta list should look something like this if they are interested:
dsuperbee
Clnilsen
Rdoyle1978
adams_arcade
superJackpot
I hope that I have not misjudged or overlooked someone before my post yesterday who wants to participate, please tell me if that's the case.

#38 6 years ago

I would like to join your project as well. Thx for the mail and looking forward to your progress.
Peter
The Netherlands

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

When the time is up for testing I think it will be most fair to offer the kits to those who have expressed an interest of buying or testing the modification in this thread, of course if they are interested and agrees to my short list of testing terms.
Although it feels a little early to make a list I have to draw a line from posts made until yesterday for making these beta test kits, which probably means I have to expand the number of 1 or 2 kits anyway, i won't be able to handle too many kits in the beginning if some changes has to be made.
dsuperbee
Clnilsen
Rdoyle1978
adams_arcade
superJackpot
I hope that I have not misjudged or overlooked someone before my post yesterday who wants to participate, please tell me if that's the case.

Very happy to help in any way that I can

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

dsuperbee
Clnilsen
Rdoyle1978
adams_arcade
superJackpot

I'm happy to help this effort in any way!

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very happy to help in any way that I can

Quoted from Clnilsen:

I'm happy to help this effort in any way!

Thanks for interested to participate and help me testing this modification, I'll do my best to have It ready at the end of the year.
I will contact the rest on the list later to see if they have an interest of testing it and hopefully I can have pinball_faz to join me in this as he seems very positive too.

#42 6 years ago

Please add me to the interested list. I have gone through 2 motor in the last year due to the current design. I would love to have a better/smoother design installed.

Thanks,

ken

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Yellowdog:

Please add me to the interested list. I have gone through 2 motor in the last year due to the current design. I would love to have a better/smoother design installed.
Thanks,
ken

2 motors?! Wow. You may want to make sure your elevator doesn't need cleaning or adjustment ? I thought my motor was burned out but it turned out to be just poor alignment

#44 6 years ago

If no one else can, Faz is the guy you need to have test. His seal of approval in regard to the MPF is gold.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Yellowdog:

Thanks,
ken

With development and testing it might take up to a year before i can sell it if approved, but your and other interest are taken.
In my opinion the original bracket is not really an optimal design but I agree with Rdoyle1978 and Clnilsen, the bracket can be a beast to adjust you may even suffer from a bad gearbox, the best chance to determine, test and get it working better without burning your motors is with no doubt from the help of Faz.

#46 6 years ago

The motor probably isn't burned out, but at least one of the gears is free spinning. I need to take it apart and see if it is a different one from the first motor. If it is, I can mix and match gears until I get a complete set and then reassemble it.

It is on location at The Game Preserve in Houston so it gets a lot of play and if it jams or acts up, most of the time the person just moves on and it may be hours before it gets noticed. That is what happened this last time. A ball knocked a screw loose from a plastic post that fell into the mechanism and jammed it up. It didn't get noticed until the next morning when powering it up, the playfield didn't do it's normal up-down dance. Grrrrrrr.

ken

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Yellowdog:

The motor probably isn't burned out, but at least one of the gears is free spinning.

Similar thing happened to mine. You may find the same thing that I did, in that the two primary gears are press fit together and time, wear, and jams had worn the mating surfaces down to the point where they could no longer hold against the force needed to move the MPF.

Fortunately, (in mine at least) these were brass gears so to deal with the problem I separated them, degreased and cleaned them thoroughly, and brazed them back together. Coming up on five years now and no issues with the motor since!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

dsuperbee
Clnilsen
Rdoyle1978
adams_arcade
superJackpot

Honored and willing to help!

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

Similar thing happened to mine. You may find the same thing that I did, in that the two primary gears are press fit together and time, wear, and jams had worn the mating surfaces down to the point where they could no longer hold against the force needed to move the MPF.
Fortunately, (in mine at least) these were brass gears so to deal with the problem I separated them, degreased and cleaned them thoroughly, and brazed them back together. Coming up on five years now and no issues with the motor since!

That was exactly what happened to the first motor. I found a "how to" online, but the author warned not to use a propane torch or you could melt the gears. That made me look for a new motor rather than try to fix the gears. Now that it has happened again, I may try his method and if I do melt the gears, then look for a new motor. Worst case, I end up with a set of junk gears. Best case, I can fix 2 motors and have a spare.

Or if the OP gets his parts together, I would be willing to spend those bucks on a real fix that would have a chance of lasting.

ken

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

dsuperbee
Clnilsen
Rdoyle1978
adams_arcade
superJackpot

I'm excited to be in the list!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-doctor-who-mpf-elevator-2nd-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.