Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Anyone ever heard of a mode in a pinball machine that requires you to have a certain score to qualify and play it?

That would be something interesting and different.

#3 5 years ago

I have not heard of any mode that requires a certain score to unlock it. It would be a fun twist but I doubt it would make a game that much more interesting.

#4 5 years ago

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Or what about like at XXX points, it lights a shot(that is somewhat easy to hit), and if you hit it, it starts a mode where all your points are 1/2X. Reverse multiplier.

#5 5 years ago

Or maybe tiers of modes altogether. 1st level modes are always available. 2nd tiers unlocked at X points and 3rd tier at Y points. Makes you play at certain levels for a little while. Might tie in better with an RPG type of theme.

#6 5 years ago

Well technically not a “score qualifier”, but when you get 100 diamonds on Congo it starts a wizard mode.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Well technically not a “score qualifier”, but when you get 100 diamonds on Congo it starts a wizard mode.

Naw that doesn't count, way too many games with things like that

#8 5 years ago

Gorgar starts 'spinner mode' at 10k...bonus :/

I think a game designed around a large bonus ladder you build up that changes the rules based on what level of bonus you were at could be pretty cool. Purposely trying to not move bonus at some points to stay in one mode longer, etc

#9 5 years ago

Replay mode? Don't all machines have that.

Not sure a score-based mode is that interesting to me. It requires little skill and makes for boring play. All you have to do is keep the ball in play and you will eventually get there.

Modes today are rewards for achievements/combos/tough shots/etc. This is a key part of what makes a game fun to play and differentiates one machine from another.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from smailskid:

I have not heard of any mode that requires a certain score to unlock it. It would be a fun twist but I doubt it would make a game that much more interesting.

Party pooper!

Quoted from Black_Knight:

Replay mode? Don't all machines have that.
    Not sure a score-based mode is that interesting to me. It requires little skill and makes for boring play. All you have to do is keep the ball in play and you will eventually get there.
    Modes today are rewards for achievements/combos/tough shots/etc. This is a key part of what makes a game fun to play and differentiates one machine from another.

I think you’re misunderstanding. Take a modern game like Maiden. Instead of collecting the white Eddie shots to light the mode start, you have to get 5 million points. Stuff like that. Don’t base the whole game this way, but make one of the mini wizards based off starting after you’ve reached a certain score.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think you’re misunderstanding. Take a modern game like Maiden. Instead of collecting the white Eddie shots to light the mode start, you have to get 5 million points. Stuff like that. Don’t base the whole game this way, but make one of the mini wizards based off starting after you’ve reached a certain score.

Oh, that could be pretty cool. Make it so the modes are stuff like that, and then purposely give the player multiple ways to score points outside of modes, so they can strategically choose what to go for

#12 5 years ago

This got me thinking. Something like this could be done on TNA.

On that game, there are a few ways to play. It's possible to just try to destroy reactors, or you can try to max out each reactor value to get the most points from each reactor. It's possible to get a lot of points and destroy just a few reactors, or destroy a lot of reactors, but not get as many points.

My idea: If you destroy 9 reactors with more than x points, you start a bonus reactor or some other hidden mode.

Not that I could ever get there, but it could be an interesting idea.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think you’re misunderstanding. Take a modern game like Maiden. Instead of collecting the white Eddie shots to light the mode start, you have to get 5 million points.

I understand exactly what you are saying. But what's the fun in getting something by randomly flipping the ball around.

How about a timer mode. Special wizard mode for the longest ball time.

#14 5 years ago

Now we’re talking party people!

Now once you’re in the mode, get to x points within the mode (could have a secondary score counter to track), and you have a certain amount of time to get to the next scoring tier or you’re locked into single value. Get to next tier and now you have double mode scoring, and so on.

Reduce the number of modes in a game, it make them longer and more epic.

This will keep people from trapping up after every shot to pounder their next move for an hour.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

I understand exactly what you are saying. But what's the fun in getting something by randomly flipping the ball around.
    How about a timer mode. Special wizard mode for the longest ball time.

Terrible idea. Haha. See my post above. You don’t randomly keep the ball in play, you find the shots that are worth more to get to your goal faster.

#16 5 years ago

There is also that stupid victory lap thing DE games do.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

There is also that stupid victory lap thing DE games do.

What’s that? I’ve seen victory laps in other games too. Typically for when you’re still in multiball and have done all the jacks and super jacks.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s that? I’ve seen victory laps in other games too. Typically for when you’re still in multiball and have done all the jacks and super jacks.

Yeah, games like WCS have a victory lap “mode” after you complete something important like a super jack and shooting a shot will just award a “victory lap” which is just a set number of points. AFM in particular, I believe after you destroy all of the saucers, every shot to the target under the saucer will award a “victory lap” of 10,000,000. On some DE games, like LW3, once you achieve a replay, it will light a certain shot for a set number of points once. On LW3, after a replay if you shoot the ramp within 20 seconds you will get 25 million (only when set to credit for replay).

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

On LW3, after a replay if you shoot the ramp within 20 seconds you will get 25 million (only when set to credit for replay).

Yes! I agree this is terrible. The replay is auto adjusting so this makes the game horribly unbalanced. Now if you went in and hard adjusted the replay to x points, I’m okay with it. That way it’s the same for everyone and never changes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modes-with-a-score-qualifier and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.