(Topic ID: 206374)

Modes in Pinball- Long Term Effect on Enjoyment??

By cheshirefilms

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Brijam
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Does finishing modes/final wizard modes reduce a game's long term enjoyment for good players?”

• Yes, except for a few titles like LoTR and The Addams Family 4 votes
    5%
  • Yes- for every pin ever. 16 votes
    21%
  • No- just keep the pin dark for a while, the fun eventually returns. 17 votes
    22%
  • No- mode pins are just more fun than non mode-pins 39 votes
    51%

(Multiple choice - 76 votes by 73 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Julie_Newmar_Catwoman_Batman_1966 (resized).jpg
100_0010 (resized).JPG
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hey guys,

I was discussing with a friend who thinks the key enjoyment of modern pinball is to clear modes, just like a gamer completes a video game.

My take is- in a commerical environment, sure. In a home, with few exceptions- the innovation of modes/end game modes create the sense for a player that a pinball can be beat, much like a video game.

Obviously pinball always wins, but in my heart at least, an endgame mode in a pin signals the end.

For my purposes, I've cycled out every game I've ever "beat" with the exception of The Addams Family- the latter for nostalgic reasons and special charm. When I "beat them," I grow quickly tired if them.

The Hobbit is especially worthy of note. The most modes, the greatest joy in completion of the game, but the quickest sense of "nothing more to do here, why do I need this now?"

#2 6 years ago

I don't really care for video games, I'd rather play pinball.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't really care for video games, I'd rather play pinball.

I think you missed my question-

Do modes make a pinball go stale? Make them feel kind of like video games with flippers- once they're beat, they're beat?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Do modes make a pinball go stale?

No, they are stale to begin with.

#5 6 years ago

I think that most of the fun in pinball is reaching a goal and completing it. If you’ve completed every mode and set all the high scores, what else is there to do? You can continue to play for fun, but most guys seems to sell and move on to the next pin.

#6 6 years ago

Every pinball machine and video game has a set number of modes / levels. I think its the variety and uniqueness of those rules and the gameplay produced by them that keeps me coming back and ultimately keeps a pin in my collection. A game like The Hobbit will always stay in my collection as there's so much depth and uniqueness to the games modes. Yes one can start every mode (haven't come close personally) but its another story to beat all of them and progress through all stages of the Arkenstone modes. Same goes for other deep games like WOZ and Stern's Star Wars. Once I get a bit tired of one I switch to another until I go back to that game, lol.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, they are stale to begin with.

Hmm. By stale I mean, not enjoyable. Do modes/wizard modes cause a pin to become boring after a while? Most older pins that are about scoring, if they've got a great ruleset- ie, Fathom, Centaur, etc- they have no modes/endgames, it's just about high score. So they don't ever get "beat."

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Every pinball machine and video game has a set number of modes / levels.

I think you are wrong.

Hmm. By stale I mean, not enjoyable. Do modes/wizard modes cause a pin to become boring after a while? Most older pins that are about scoring, if they've got a great ruleset- ie, Fathom, Centaur, etc- they have no modes/endgames, it's just about high score. So they don't ever get "beat."

Yes

#9 6 years ago

Hey guys,
I was discussing with a friend who thinks the key enjoyment of modern pinball is to clear modes, just like a gamer completes a video game.
My take is- in a commerical environment, sure. In a home, with few exceptions- the innovation of modes/end game modes create the sense for a player that a pinball can be beat, much like a video game. Obviously pinball always wins, but in my heart at least, an endgame signals the end.
For my purposes, I've cycled out every game I've ever "beat" with the exception of The Addams Family- the latter for nostalgic reasons and special charm. When I "beat them," I grow quickly tired if them.
The Hobbit is especially worthy of note. The most modes, the greatest joy in completion of the game, but the quickest sense of "nothing more to do here, why do I need this now?"

I do have a collectors mentality . I buy very selective . It very subjective on the exact pinball machine for me to hard to give a definitive answer . If Space and funds were not and object I would never sell any of the machines I have owned in the past or future . But since that is not the reality in my life . I do sell but even if I beat a pinball machine it is not a prerequisite for that machine to be sold . I may change my mind (tomorrow).

100_0010 (resized).JPG100_0010 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

A game whose only attraction is doing well at the modes won't last long once you've done that, but if the modes are fun to play then that can be a different story. The popular older games (EM/SS) could basically be considered one mode, but it's fun enough to play it even without beating it. I try to stay away from games where the best moments are finishing things

I feel it should be said though that there's nothing wrong with playing a game until you've seen all the sights and then selling it though. If the seeing was fun then it was worth it. There are a lot of games I love to play but wouldn't want to own.

#11 6 years ago

I've cycled out every game I've ever "beat" with the exception ...

Don;t understand this thought process at all and cannot relate.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The only thing I understand about this thread is that mode based games suck.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thought process is- where is the home owner market going if the games won't stay fun for the owner for very long? I don't like putting tons of energy into acquiring a game that I won't want to keep because it gets old quick. I'd rather just play these kinds of games on location.

Maybe a hoarder or collector won't care, they like having more because collecting in and of itself is a hobby, but I'm into pins to enjoy them, and keep enjoying them.

#14 6 years ago

Some collectors don't even know what mode means. They just buy these machines so they can glue a bunch of happy meal toys all over them and say-

"Look what I did!"

#15 6 years ago

No I don't understand the mentally, and never have, of somone thinking the beat a game by getting a wizard mode. It's silly, and with some games would take 1 day of playing.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No I don't understand the mentally, and never have, of somone thinking the beat a game by getting a wizard mode. It's silly, and with some games would take 1 day of playing.

That's pretty much my approach for games--to complete achievable goals, whether it's a line of 3 drop targets on EBD or rule the universe on AFM.

I like modes more than just going for points. To me, points are boring--they're just an arbitrary number. Completing a bunch of modes/quests leading up to a big finish is more interesting and engaging for me.

However, competitive play is obviously different. Focusing on modes and reaching the "end" of a game is just how I get the most enjoyment out of a game.

#17 6 years ago

I really like games with a definitive ending. Like a big celebration, like WH2O, and CV. It gives me a tangible goal to work towards, and I really think it adds to the whole gaming experience.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I really like games with a definitive ending.

This is about as definitive as it gets.

#19 6 years ago

Pinside Top 20 is very predominantly mode based pins.... this matches closely with the enjoyment I get from playing pinball... which after having a basic level of skill is to complete specific goals and objectives. These for me are not point based but rather mode based... so that is what I look for in a keeper.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is about as definitive as it gets.
» YouTube video

This is what I do when I beat all of the modes in a game. So far though it’s never happened and with my pinball skills it most likely never will.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is what I do when I beat all of the modes in a game.

Lol. At one time I was OK with mode based games, but one by one they all got kicked to the curb.

Pinball to me is all about scoring points and getting replays. On location, I don't care what the story the game is trying to tell me and whatever it is doesn't bother me, I just want to put my initials up and hear that knocker.

In home I'm a little more particular with what I want to play, and the last thing I want to do is go thru the same story over and over again. Or keep on getting halfway thru the same boring story just to start it over again. No thanks.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Pinside Top 20 is very predominantly mode based pins.... this matches closely with the enjoyment I get from playing pinball... which after having a basic level of skill is to complete specific goals and objectives. These for me are not point based but rather mode based... so that is what I look for in a keeper.

I agree with the rankings- on a location basis, where the journey is always fresh the first x number of times.

But for home use games- i.e, $500 to $10,000 investments- I'd probably vote the list quite a bit different, especially if long term fun factor is accounted for in a permanent collection.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lol. At one time I was OK with mode based games, but one by one they all got kicked to the curb.
Pinball to me is all about scoring points and getting replays. On location, I don't care what the story the game is trying to tell me and whatever it is doesn't bother me, I just want to put my initials up and hear that knocker.
In home I'm a little more particular with what I want to play, and the last thing I want to do is go thru the same story over and over again. Or keep on getting halfway thru the same boring story just to start it over again. No thanks.

I kind of agree with you and somewhat feel the same way, but I also believe that modes have taken pinball to a whole new level too. I enjoy old EM’s and I enjoy a brand new TWD also. All eras of pinball are awesome I think.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

All eras of pinball are awesome I think.

They are indeed. And as mentioned mode games are great on location or in somebody elses collection.

This hobby like any others can give you moments when you can one day say I'm sick of it all and want to get rid of them all, and I've already been there. But I stopped and got to the root of that thinking and it was the stupid stories that these machines had me going thru over and over again. Fortunately there are lots of great games that don't.

#25 6 years ago

This sounds like a variation on "are new games better than old ones?" I mean, can anyone give me an example of a DMD pinball game made within the last 20 years that doesn't have modes?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They are indeed. And as mentioned mode games are great on location or in somebody elses collection.
This hobby like any others can give you moments when you can one day say I'm sick of it all and want to get rid of them all, and I've already been there. But I stopped and got to the root of that thinking and it was the stupid stories that these machines had me going thru over and over again. Fortunately there are lots of great games that don't.

I’ve done a lot of things in my life, I’ve had boats, race cars, motorcycles and been involved in many more hobbies but I gotta say that I enjoy the pinball hobby more than any other thing I’ve ever been involved in probably. This is one hobby that is going to be here with me as long as I am I believe. I love it.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I mean, can anyone give me an example of a DMD pinball game made within the last 20 years that doesn't have modes?

The newest one I own is Bram Stokers Dracula. No modes but fully addicting. Part of what brought me to this reckoning.

I was kind of curious myself about other more recent games that have no modes.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The newest one I own is Bram Stokers Dracula. No modes but fully addicting. Part of what brought me to this reckoning.

You bought BM66, it had modes!

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You bought BM66, it had modes!

You try playing the same four modes over and over again and see how long it lasts at your house. That also helped me come to this reckoning.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You try playing the same four modes over and over again and see how long it lasts at your house! That also helped me come to this reckoning.

Haha that’s funny. I knew that would get you going! BM66 is shaping up to be a pretty cool game finally though. I would own one now I think if the price wasn’t ridiculous on them.

#31 6 years ago

If I never hear that stupid Joker music again, I'll be good.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Some collectors don't even know what mode means. They just buy these machines so they can glue a bunch of happy meal toys all over them and say-
"Look what I did!"

You forgot a step... before gluing in that happy meal toy you gotta shove an LED in it.

I like mode based games, providing the modes are not linear and there are enough of them. But I also like shooting for an objective thats hard to reach, even after I’ve reached it. Playing for points isn’t really my thing but that’s probably because I’m not that good at it.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

T2. Arguably Who Dunnit didn't really have modes, either. It certainly didn't have a wizard mode, in any event. Going back a little more than 20 years, but I think any BW DMD title qualifies as modern era.

#34 6 years ago

Oh snap! BSD has a video mode! Oh nooooooo...

That's OK. It's a good one.

T2. Arguably Who Dunnit didn't really have modes, either. It certainly didn't have a wizard mode, in any event. Going back a little more than 20 years, but I think any BW DMD title qualifies as modern era.

I've been thinking about getting another Getaway as I don't recall it having real modes. I like continuity in a game. Just plunge and go.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh snap! BSD has a video mode! Oh nooooooo...
That's OK. It's a good one.

Id say that doesn't count toward the argument. Thinking more of a progression based mode system, either linear or non linear, toward a final reward as the game's primary objective. Sometimes we get a little too anal around here. Like when we say BW pins pre-Monster Bash didn't have decals, but did have a sticky plastic they silk screened art onto.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I never hear that stupid Joker music again, I'll be good.

I am a skirt chaser . This is why I want Batman66.

Julie_Newmar_Catwoman_Batman_1966 (resized).jpgJulie_Newmar_Catwoman_Batman_1966 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's pretty much my approach for games--to complete achievable goals, whether it's a line of 3 drop targets on EBD or rule the universe on AFM.
...Focusing on modes and reaching the "end" of a game is just how I get the most enjoyment out of a game.

Right I understand that just fine; and DMD era I'm more of a mode guy myself.
The thing I can't relate to is what the OP is saying; "Alright I beat the game time to move to the next one."
Also, I don't understand how it's always an "either or" discussion on points versus modes; which is the classic TZ argument. LITZ is not hard to get to, but there's no point in racing to it because it isn't worth that many points.
I'm guessing by you owning so many games you've probably got the wizard mode on a couple, and have liquidated them right after

Quoted from ForceFlow:

To me, points are boring--they're just an arbitrary number. Completing a bunch of modes/quests leading up to a big finish is more interesting and engaging for me.

When you get better, you can focus on both and then it's really fun

#38 6 years ago

Congo
Attack from Mars

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right I understand that just fine; and DMD era I'm more of a mode guy myself.
The thing I can't relate to is what the OP is saying; "Alright I beat the game time to move to the next one."
Also, I don't understand how it's always an "either or" discussion on points versus modes; which is the classic TZ argument. LITZ is not hard to get to, but there's no point in racing to it because it isn't worth that many points.
I'm guessing by you owning so many games you've probably got the wizard mode on a couple, and have liquidated them right after

When you get better, you can focus on both and then it's really fun

TZ is an interesting example. It stayed fun till I mastered every shot in the game. Once I could hit the shot through the bumpers, camera, etc practically at will, and get to LiTZ 2 times or more in one game, saw every multiple combo animatic in the game, etc- I felt no stone was unturned and it was time to move on. Did I have the highest score in the game's history? Nah. I didn't really care. Spending another ten minutes or two hours nailing shots I knew cold won't seem like fun- it'll seem like work.

#40 6 years ago

Some people are going to conquer and move on. Others will find joy in playing over and over. Some people only care to watch a movie once - no matter how much they enjoyed it. Others watch the same movie dozens of times. A majority of people like doing and play and watching their favorite things over and over and over. If a pinball machine has some breadth (multiple ways to advance) then the replay value is much higher. So a good combination or breadth and depth is key.

The way we think about modes is that they are a set of objectives that can be done one at a time. However there are other "modes" that are running in concurrently with the currently selected game mode. Breadth and non-linear, sequential modes are powerful because they give you multiple things to work on at the same time and a virtually unlimited number of ways to approach the game. If you beat the game one way, try starting from a different set of objectives or starting point. I think that's what leads to a more replay-able game.

Lastly, I think some modes are just fun to hit over and over. When you're in "the zone" and the adrenaline is flowing it's fun whether you've been there before or not.

#41 6 years ago

I can see "completing" a machine taking away some of it's addictiveness. When I first got my Stargate I mainly played to try and beat Eye of Ra, but once I did that I had to set new goals for myself.

Really, I think what it comes down to is how much you can do in a mode based game besides modes. If the game is pretty much only modes then yeah, it will probably get boring quick. If there's a ton of stuff to do outside the modes though, then you end up with a great mix of things to do. Play a mode, do something else, play another mode, just do whatever you want to do. When I play Stargate I tend to spend most of my time outside modes in an attempt to raise the super jackpot, earn extra balls, and complete the Stargate before reaching Eye of Ra. In each game of Lord of the Rings I usually only play 2 or 3 modes, and instead focus on multiballs, tower hits, and collecting rings.

#42 6 years ago

T2? Thinking about it, Payback Time seems like a mode as does T2's multiball -> super jackpot progression. I guess we have to agree on what a mode is. As a game designer myself, I know from experience that it's very difficult to agree on these meanings. (As a thought experiment, try to define what a 'game' is.) So people are likely to disagree with what a mode is, and that's okay.

So what's a mode? Is Firepower's multiball a mode? If not, why not? Is lighting up A-B-C-D on Genie a mode? If not, why not?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I guess we have to agree on what a mode is.

I looked up mode in the dictionary and it really doesn't fit anything we are talking about here.

For me in pinball a mode or modes are the story or theme broken down into several separate pieces instead of leaving the story flow and progress as a whole.

And starting a mode is rarely a difficult task.

#44 6 years ago

I would think that the "lastability" should also depend on the level of satisfaction that you have in the machines's overall flow and individual and combo shots. Even if you can complete the games' Mode objectives you may still really enjoy the shot making etc. If not then maybe it's time to move on. I find myself playing more for the flow, shots and combos than the actual modes....and then during one of those good games going back and then working to complete the modes.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I really like games with a definitive ending. Like a big celebration, like WH2O, and CV. It gives me a tangible goal to work towards, and I really think it adds to the whole gaming experience.

I think WH2O is an interesting example. What do you consider beating the game? Getting to Wet Willy's? Getting to Vacation Jackpot? Completing all the modes? I love the game because there is plenty to do, the shots are easy, and the good games are epic. I have yet to get 5x playfield with 3x jackpots plus vacation jackpot in a single game, so even after scoring vacation jackpot the game is not 'beat'.

In general what I like about mode based games is the ability to stack the modes to maximize score, and I feel like the early 90s games provided the perfect mix of a game that's not too complex to play yet allows for strategy and choice about how you're going to put up a big score. While earlier games are just not that exciting, you have to keep the ball in play and master your shots but it's ultimately not 'strategic' and the later games ... well it seems to me that the 'you've failed' mode in Wizard of Oz has a timeout that keeps the ball in play longer than many players could keep playing a normal game.

Osric

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Osric:

What do you consider beating the game?

WH2O is a great example because I think the game really has 2 separate endings. The first when the player completes stage 2 of wet willies, and the second when the player collects the vacation jackpot.

While The latter is the true finale, it was nice of the designers to still give decent players a “fake out” ending, since attaining the vacation jackpot is completely out of the realm of 99% of players. It appeases both camps: casual players, and skilled players.

It kinda reminds me of the ending for the original Metroid. 99% of players will just get to see samus remove her helmet as the big “she’s a girl!” Ending, but truly skilled players that finish the game under a certain amount of time get to see her undress down to her wonderful 8-bit bikini.

#47 6 years ago

"Modes" are part of the equation, especially with post-1990 pins. Part of it is presentation, like TZ's Lost in the Zone. Or it's something like CV's finale which really does feel a bit like a video game "boss battle." But to anyone who played pinball before "wizard modes" as it were, they understand nobody "beats" a pinball game. Until you can do that consistently, you have beaten nothing.

Play Paragon or Gorgar. Those games are their own wizard modes.

#48 6 years ago

To me a “mode” is any special scoring scheme started by the player through the achievement of a specific shot or series of shots (may also be randomly awarded) in which certain targets in the game become active and/or are worth additional points. A mode may end by timer, the completion of mode active targets and/or shots, or the loss of a ball.

In that regard I wouldn’t consider completing a-b-c-d a mode in itself as while it may do something like advance bonus or award points it’s not making active additional scoring options that are not already there. It could however be a trigger to start a mode.

#49 6 years ago

I guess when you think about it, playing the same modes over and over again but in different order is state of the art pinball today.

#50 6 years ago

Also a mode will usually (but not always) have an insert associated with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 38.00
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Danbury, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modes-in-pinball-long-term-effect-on-enjoyment?hl=phantasmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.