6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ship ahoy (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

Is anyone taken up a project of modernizing a Gottlieb wedgehead title using an Arduino SBC (single board computer) and ditching the EM guts and replacing them with a mosfet driver board?

#2 6 months ago

Many years ago a man in Rochester Minnesota converted a Ship Ahoy to solid state.

LTG : )

ship ahoy (resized).jpg
    #3 6 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Is anyone taken up a project of modernizing a Gottlieb wedgehead title using an Arduino SBC (single board computer) and ditching the EM guts and replacing them with a mosfet driver board?

A guy recently bought some projects that had been halfway converted and it was pretty interesting

#4 6 months ago

I did once. Not really any point to it though, unless you're missing the entire relay board or something.

#5 6 months ago

Argh! Please don't butcher a decent or restorable wedge head! Pass it on to someone else
    that will appreciate it.

#6 6 months ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Argh! Please don't butcher a decent or restorable wedge head! Pass it on to someone else
    that will appreciate it.

Not my intent! This isn't about killing a grand old lady... this is about building a replica using modern technology... There is probably no way I will ever get someone to part with their Subway machine, but if I possibly could replicate one, then the process would still be the same, conversion of the existing game rules and adding electronics to make it play, but instead of butchering a real Subway, get a replica playfield and backglass and plastics, and build one from scratch. If I would do anything, I would look to find an old Gottlieb wedgehead donor cabinet from a already deceased machine, or just build a new cabinet depending on what I can find for donor hardware.

#7 6 months ago

It seems about once every three months someone asks about modernizing an old EM. I'm sure to many it seems like a really interesting and fun project. To a true EM guy we cringe when someone enthusiastically posts about considering it. Once in your possession it is yours to do with as you like. Just don't expect overwhelming support.

Like you say though making a completely different game based on one you've acquired. Without destroying the original.... seems to be something that we could all admire.

There was a guy that made one sourced from a conglomerate of parts machines. Mismatched head and no motor board. He did a nice job making something that was never going to be a complete game again anyway. It was pretty cool.

#8 6 months ago

I converted a Williams EM that was severely damaged from a tin foil fuse based fire.

It’s not that difficult. It took me about five days to gut the EM part, make a new wire harness, install a new control system, and do the typical servicing of the playfield mechs and top side

Coding it was more difficult but I have little training in programming.

#9 6 months ago

Isn't that basically what this is?
    https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=5239

#10 6 months ago

The King of Diamonds remake has some enhancements, making it more than just a solid-state reimplementation. However, it was designed with the constraints that they wanted the exact same playfield and almost-exact same backglass. Enhancements: it is a four-player game and it can be operated as a true add-a-ball.
    .................David Marston

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside