(Topic ID: 84735)

Modern Video Games deserving of the pinball treatment...

By Strange

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 123 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Return-to-Castle-Wolfenstein-Logo_(resized).jpg
    k5kd3sJ_(resized).jpg
    wallpaper_red_alert_2_02_16001_(resized).jpg
    cncra_(resized).jpg
    dott-remastered-005a.0_(resized).jpg
    Guardians_2_destiny-media.jpg
    doom-front.jpg
    85296047.jpg
    Game-Dark-Souls-Wallpaper-HD.jpg
    WL2logo-2650x1440.jpg
    spinball-hires.jpg
    megaman2_wallp_1920.jpg
    art454mi.jpg
    Custer.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    gears-of-war-hd-wallpaper-3.jpg
    There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago

Im 21 and I own 4 pins. None are the new big dollar pins, but it's still something... A lot of my friends doesn't even think of pinball as something that's still in this world.. However they all enjoy and gather around when they are at my place... But paying big bucks (Hell they think my pins are expensive(and so do I)) is something that I don't believe they would do.
    I don't know if video game themes would get them to play the pin.. Why not just keep playing the video game? It's also a matter of space, many young ones doesn't have a house either, and jamming a few pinball machines inside an apartment can be tough.

#53 10 years ago

Why do people associate video games with young people? The target market for video games is 10-50 year-olds. The target market for pinball machines is 40+ year-olds? Maybe that's what's wrong with pinball. I'm 48, and I love God of War, Castlevania, Uncharted, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham, Assassins Creed, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Infamous, and so on. I know a lot of guys my age who do, too. I don't play online, but I still play the "stories."

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

Why do people associate video games with young people? The target market for video games is 10-50 year-olds. The target market for pinball machines is 40+ year-olds? Maybe that's what's wrong with pinball. I'm 48, and I love God of War, Castlevania, Uncharted, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Arkham, Assassins Creed, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Infamous, and so on. I know a lot of guys my age who do, too. I don't play online, but I still play the "stories."

Because the majority isn't the 40-50 year olds.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from FrederikFrost:

I don't know if video game themes would get them to play the pin.. Why not just keep playing the video game?

That's the million dollar question. I bet you anything you will find video gamers that are pinheads and didn't even know it until their dream themes came to pinball. People need to realize is that there are millions upon millions of people playing video games and the average gamer age is somewhere between 35-41. You might be surprised how well some of these video game themes might perform.

#56 10 years ago

LEFT 4 DEAD

Left_4_deadxj37.jpgLeft_4_deadxj37.jpg

#57 10 years ago

I would so be into this, but yeah i dont think the demographics match up yet, maybe a few more years and more accumulation of disposable income for the younger crowd. But a WoW pin, RE, Zelda, MGS, MK, all would be AWESOME, i would so be in on these.

#58 10 years ago

METROID

19c3x3bpevolejpg.jpg19c3x3bpevolejpg.jpg

#59 10 years ago

Halo, definitely.

#60 10 years ago

Cool topic Strange....I'd definitely be in for a full fledged Samus Aran pin.....plenty to go with on that one!

I am a big fan of modern shooters (not FPS's) but bullet hell awesomeness and some classics of the genre.....so much to work with as far as art and rule sets. Sure we have F14 and Airborne....but something more fantastical would be balls out cool.image-688.jpgimage-688.jpgimage-999.jpgimage-999.jpg

#61 10 years ago

How about a pin based on the videogame,The Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection?

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

How about a pin based on the videogame,The Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection?

ahem:

Quoted from jayhawkai:

Farsight's Williams Hall of Fame could make a great pin.
    That or Bioshock.

#63 10 years ago

GEARS OF WAR

gears-of-war-hd-wallpaper-3.jpggears-of-war-hd-wallpaper-3.jpg

#65 10 years ago

How about Contra?

#66 10 years ago

Uncharted would be another excellent option.

#67 10 years ago

I think it would be cool to have a classics team-up sort of pin. Centipede, Robotron, Burgertime, Dig Dug, Galaga....

It seems like someone would try to capitalize on the Lego or Minecraft stuff too for the family friendliness

#68 10 years ago

Don't forget Gorf , Zaxxon, 1942, Donkey Kong, Sinistar, Defender, Tempest, Time Pilot and Gauntlet.

#69 10 years ago

Classic Duke Nukem quote when you try to play the Duke Nukem pinball machine in the game:
    "Don't have time to play with myself"

#70 10 years ago

Shit, sorry modern games, ah f@ck. I mean ah shit.

Clash of Clans I guess.

#71 10 years ago

I've been really getting into the messed up storyline of this game:

Amnesia_A_Machine_for_Pigs_logo.pngAmnesia_A_Machine_for_Pigs_logo.png

amnesia__a_machine_for_pigs_2013-1280x720.jpgamnesia__a_machine_for_pigs_2013-1280x720.jpg
    #72 10 years ago

Mass Effect
    1348748167_mass effect trilogie 1.jpg1348748167_mass effect trilogie 1.jpg

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

Quoted from Strange:

That's the million dollar question. I bet you anything you will find video gamers that are pinheads and didn't even know it until their dream themes came to pinball. People need to realize is that there are millions upon millions of people playing video games and the average gamer age is somewhere between 35-41. You might be surprised how well some of these video game themes might perform.

I think it would be interesting to poll pinside and see how many also play video games. I think it would be a very large number. I agree with others that 20 year olds won't buy pins but there are some really cool ideas with artwork and stories already established in popular video game series. I don't think the target audience for the Tron movie was a 55 year old man but Stern still made that pin. Video game pins would be no different than the comic book pins being made now.

#74 10 years ago

I think out of what was mentioned. DK country, Halo and Zelda would all translate well to pinball. Some of the others would likely need JJP. Some of those titles would need the extra monitor for progression. IMHO.

#75 10 years ago

METAL SLUG

metal-slug-446340.jpgmetal-slug-446340.jpg

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I think out of what was mentioned. DK country, Halo and Zelda would all translate well to pinball. Some of the others would likely need JJP. Some of those titles would need the extra monitor for progression. IMHO.

I was actually thinking JJP would be a good match for video game themes because of the LCD screen as well. Maybe even the video modes could be a little more beefed up than we have ever seen...

#77 10 years ago

imgres.jpgimgres.jpg DUDE. PORTAL. EVERY. DAMN. NIGHT.

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

DUDE. PORTAL. EVERY. DAMN. NIGHT.

imgres.jpg 5 KB

OMG I could not imagine having that Aperture Science song stuck in my head from playing the pin all the time.

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

DUDE. PORTAL. EVERY. DAMN. NIGHT.

imgres.jpg 5 KB

This one for sure!

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I would indeed be surprised if any young people are buying $8,000 pins.
    Usually if I go to a younger persons house for a service call, the pin is an old Bally Playboy that their uncle gave them.
    I have never gone to a young person's house to fix a WOZ or Avengers....

Define younger. Most people see me and think I am in my 20s....though that is starting to change.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY
    wallpapers-tgod-donkey-kong-coun... 343 KB

OMG Donkey Kong Country. That would be killer. The soundtrack would be awesome! And... oh my all the toys and gimmicks that could be done with this.

But only if the former Gottlieb didn't put their stink on it SMB could've been so much better... sigh.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Define younger.

19-29.

I never service anyone in this age bracket with new model pins.

#83 10 years ago

Timeshock, by pro pinball or pinball Fx tables.

#84 10 years ago

What about final fantasy
    Great music
    Great theme

#85 10 years ago

Warhammer 40k - Dawn of War

#86 10 years ago

Custer.jpgCuster.jpg
    If they had Big Dick why not Custer's Revenge?

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

DONKEY KONG COUNTRY

This.

But only if Cranky Kong was complaining about how bright the LEDs are, how the scoring is too unbalanced, and how in his day they didn't need software updates.

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

What about final fantasy
    Great music
    Great theme

FF would be cool as long as its based on one of the older titles. FF7 or FF6 would be great. Modern FF is kinda blah to me~

#89 10 years ago

THE KING OF FIGHTERS

art454mi.jpgart454mi.jpg

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

19-29.
    I never service anyone in this age bracket with new model pins.

At your age you should be careful who you service.

#91 10 years ago

Should have been a Mortal Kombat pin 20 years ago, never figured out why Williams didn't do one, seemed like a natural especially when Gottlieb did SF2.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Should have been a Mortal Kombat pin 20 years ago, never figured out why Williams didn't do one, seemed like a natural especially when Gottlieb did SF2.

Well, its never too late. The series just got rebooted and its a solidified theme and brand at this point. I just hope if this game ever gets done the "TOASTY" guy pops out on the DMD with some sort of easter egg to boot if you do something when it happens. Maybe "Smoke Multiball" would be cool.

#93 10 years ago

+1 for Time Pilot.

I don't know why this has not been done already. There are a ton of people gaming in their 40s.... we all grew up video games. Pick one of the big franchises... Halo, Call of Duty, GTA, Mario (or mario kart.... that could be cool). No need to create any new sounds or art, I would think you could lift most from the existing stuff and it would look pretty good. I have never really considered buying a NIB pin.... put Halo in front of me and I might be tempted.....

Oh, and if they do a video game based pin, I want them to figure out how to let us play deathmatch against each other across multiple pins.

#94 10 years ago

MEGA MAN

megaman2_wallp_1920.jpgmegaman2_wallp_1920.jpg

#95 10 years ago

It's worked sooo well in the past, super Mario world and street fighter are like the best pinballs eeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrr

#96 10 years ago

I would love to see a real "Sonic pinball table"

spinball-hires.jpgspinball-hires.jpg
    #97 10 years ago

WL2logo-2650x1440.jpgWL2logo-2650x1440.jpg

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

I definitely think our generation of "older people" are still in to video games (I'm 43). I was 10 - 12 in the huge arcade boom of '80 - '82. I'm playing different games on the Xbox than my kids are though. Definitely more entertained by GTA, Gears of War, etc.
    My kids who are 7 and 9 on the other hand will play Minecraft for hours on the Xbox (and Lego games, anything Mario and Luigi on the Wii U, etc). I think if you are trying to pull kids into pinball on location you would have to go with one of those more kid friendly video game themes.
    It's definitely two different markets trying to appeal to the adult home collector and younger people on location.
    This is definitely starting to change with the rise of the barcade now. We've got a second one opening in Cleveland this summer and that demo is definitely going to be 20 - 30 somethings... and me of course. If I'm not at home this summer, my wife will definitely know where to find me

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from mummite:

I would love to see a real "Sonic pinball table"

spinball-hires.jpg 188 KB

Sonic is a fantastic idea for a pin. Steve Ritchie should definitely have this theme since he is the king of flow.

#100 10 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

Sonic is a fantastic idea for a pin.

yepper! Would love to even just have a new video game "Sonic Spinball" man I loved that game!

There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modern-video-games-deserving-of-the-pinball-treatment/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.