(Topic ID: 162203)

modern stern, whats considered alot of plays?

By tp

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

When buying a modern stern pinball (2010 to present ) machine, how many plays do you feel is excessive? Is there a cut off limit where you say that's just to many? What's the difference in value over a 1 owner 300 play game over a 10,000 play game to you? I find that when Im on the lookout for a b/w title it is all about condition and play count is an afterthought because of its age. However when I'm on the lookout for a a newer stern I find it harder to overlook the play count and prefer nib or 1 owner huo low play machine because the difference in price is usually not that great.....and as much as I love stern machines I've seen some pretty beat down titles that weren't that old. how many plays before a modern stern goes from new to old? This is not meant to bash on stern, as they make my favorite games .....just trying to make an informed decision on my next stern purchase. Thanks for any and most opinions.

#2 7 years ago

I only consider actual condition, play count doesn't mean crap. If a game has a high play count and it is taken care of (or even restored) then the condition might not reflect how much it has been played. A lower play count game might have been neglected, or the balls scratched up and never changed, and it will actually be in worse shape.

The same thing can be said for evaluating automobiles:
    "Our view is that age and miles don't matter as much as you think. Instead, it's the way the car has been taken care of during its life that makes it so important. A 5-year-old car with only 50,000 miles may have many more problems than a 10-year-old car with twice the odometer reading. It all depends on the type of vehicle, the type of owner and the type of maintenance that's been performed. This is one of the reasons why we always recommend prepurchase inspections before buying a car -- and it's why you can't judge a car's condition based solely on its age and miles."

#3 7 years ago

I cld careless about number of plays on any pin.... condition is all that matters imo. I have alot of plays on my walking dead and met and they cld pass for nib .

#4 7 years ago

I have over 5000 plays on my home use only Avatar. With that being said a) plays can be reset in the code and b) plays are reset when new code is downloaded. I consider most claims of "under 100 plays" or "no more than 300 plays" to mostly be lies. It is worth noting that on newer sterns you cannot clear "lifetime" earnings which is nice. You can easily tell if newer sterns have been routed or not.

#5 7 years ago

Condition in relation to price is all that matters. A game with a ton of plays can still be brought back to good as new condition. I bought an Elvis that had 40,000 plays on it. It looked like absolute garbage. When I was done with it, it looked like HUO and played better than NIB.

#6 7 years ago

Considering you can NEVER trust what the machine (or seller) says for total games it's a completely meaningless stat. Condition is king.

#7 7 years ago

condition should be more important no matter the age, 1000 10 minute games puts more actual time on the machine then 5000 1.5 minute games, so since i suck my high plays only mean shorter games haha

#8 7 years ago

As soon as the clear coat starts ghosting and chipping.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

As soon as the clear coat starts ghosting and chipping.

so 200?

#10 7 years ago

Results may vary.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modern-stern-whats-considered-alot-of-plays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.