(Topic ID: 166345)

Modern Stern flipper return bounce

By debaser

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

What's the best way to fix the issue of new Stern flippers from bouncing a bit when they return to their resting position? I rebuilt the flippers and the only thing I didn't replace was the rubber stop but they look good on all the flippers. Flippers are working great and are nice and strong but that little bit of flipper bounce back when the flippers return to their resting position is annoying.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Flipper button leaf blade switches clean ?

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Change the return springs to WMS type - they will return like WMS flippers, less snappy but no bounce. I'm used to Stern flippers now so I usually leave them as-is.

#4 7 years ago

g

Quoted from LTG:

Flipper button leaf blade switches clean ?
    LTG : )

Yup. It even does this behavior if you pick up the flipper and let it drop.

Quoted from metallik:

Change the return springs to WMS type - they will return like WMS flippers, less snappy but no bounce. I'm used to Stern flippers now so I usually leave them as-is.

I have other Stern machines that don't do the bounce and they are using all original Stern parts.

Anyone else care to chime in on this?

#5 7 years ago

The return springs should have tension on them in the rest position. If not them experiment with a stonger spring or shorter spring to eliminate the bounce.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from mikat11:

The return springs should have tension on them in the rest position. If not them experiment with a stonger spring or shorter spring to eliminate the bounce.

The springs are brand new. I even tried using the previous springs and no change.

#7 7 years ago

The springs need to provide the proper amount of tension to prevent the bounce. New or old springs won't make it not bounce.Or put something on the rubber grommet like a thin piece of cardboard or something that acts like a shock absorber and see what happens. Just tryin to help ya out.

1 year later
    #9 6 years ago

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am doing a flipper rebuild kit on my TSPP and I am now having the same issue.

4 years later
    #10 1 year ago

Super old post, however, wondering if there was ever a fix found?

I had this start happening on my MET after a flipper bushing replacement.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modern-stern-flipper-return-bounce?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.