(Topic ID: 316099)

Modern pinballs that aren't obnoxious and induce seizures...?

By JakeFAttie

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by arcyallen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DSC_5830 (resized).JPG
oktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).png
7f47d177b1c3c4ed5f6e3fa477cfbdfec4e38afc (resized).jpg
6f8b8365ff9451cb28e289b5d3df45014bd90e47 (resized).jpg
0C0605F6-FB2D-4450-BB14-BFCB276CDD6D (resized).jpeg
e10cd8_eff20c76e1b14e3eb0f3e11028aab27amv2 (resized).jpg
black and white TZ (resized).jpg
Munsters-Premium-Cabinet-LF (resized).jpg
175722588_282770560131871_1575989027804476973_n (resized).png
PXL_20220529_195334556 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220529_194956883 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Feel like I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm looking for a pinball machine that can live in the living room, not have to be hidden in the garage or a game room. I don't want something obnoxious with a lot of flashing lights and loud effects. I want a mellow, inviting vibe and art that doesn't scream "Look at me! I love hollywood branding!" I want something classy and adult but family friendly. Stern games have great designs and are fun, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with most of them in my living room. Wizard of Oz, seems to meet my requirement, but I haven't actually seen one in person. Is anyone else old and tired and feel like me about the modern games? What are some other nominees for least obnoxious recent machines?

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Feel like I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm looking for a pinball machine that can live in the living room, not have to be hidden in the garage or a game room. I don't want something obnoxious with a lot of flashing lights and loud effects. I want a mellow, inviting vibe and art that doesn't scream "Look at me! I love hollywood branding!" I want something classy and adult but family friendly. Stern games have great designs and are fun, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with most of them in my living room. Wizard of Oz, seems to meet my requirement, but I haven't actually seen one in person. Is anyone else old and tired and feel like me about the modern games? What are some other nominees for least obnoxious recent machines?

Beatles maybe?

#3 1 year ago

Yeah I was thinking of that one too. and just to clarify, one of my favorite older titles that really captures the more laid back, non-branded vibe I'm looking for is Taxi.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Yeah I was thinking of that one too. and just to clarify, one of my favorite older titles that really captures the more laid back, non-branded vibe I'm looking for is Taxi.

Okay so Diner or something. Ninja Turtles?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Is anyone else old and tired and feel like me about the modern games? What are some other nominees for least obnoxious recent machines?

Funny statement but it’s true -find that my eyes tire easier with the constant flashing color fest of modern games.
You are on the right track with titles that gives a nice warm white led or incandescent glow.
Most of all, games like Taxi are great players too.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Just buy a nice mahogany coffee table

#8 1 year ago

Capcom’s had beautiful light shows with the bulb warming! Really great effect!

#9 1 year ago

A Stern Whitestar game like LOTR or Elvis with incandescent bulbs or maybe a Wheel of Fortune which has a groovy laid back soundtrack?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I don't want something obnoxious with a lot of flashing lights and loud effects.

Um.. that is pretty much what WOZ is. A clunky seizure in a box.

any of the reissues or originals for AFM, MM, Monster Bash.

#11 1 year ago
#12 1 year ago

Wonka. Still my favorite game, after over 6 months of owning it. I owned a WOZ also and like Wonka more.

#13 1 year ago

As long as it doesn't have Pinstadiums, nearly any game meets your criteria.

#14 1 year ago

Breakshot

#15 1 year ago

Woz/Wonka are good bets, yeah. Both are fairly laid back due to their theme/content. Most Sterns seem to be designed more to demand your attention and pull you in, but thay isn't what you want in a living room pin

#16 1 year ago

Funny you mention Taxi as a game you like when that damn bell is pretty loud and annoying.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Funny you mention Taxi as a game you like when that damn bell is pretty loud and annoying.

I guess one thing I'm learning is that playing a game in a bar/arcade with all the noise around is very different than having it in your home. I just bought The Getaway after only playing it a few times and thinking it was among the funnest, most attractive games. Big mistake. It is way too loud for the home. I'll be putting it up for trade soon and that's why I'm asking this question. Taxi I love, but I've only played in an arcade and it didn't seem that loud... :-/

#18 1 year ago

I remember when my retired Mon visited, and I showed her my recently acquired Addams Family. After watching for a while, she pointed to the left and right flasher domes and said I would unplug those. They make the lightshow fun and warn you about the kickout, but flashers aren't for everyone.

Don't be afraid to remove flashbulbs if you want to.

Modern pinball has over the top rainbow colors and artwork on the cabinet and armor. Even WoZ and Wonka. Going to need to go back in time for something more tasteful like the stenciled pinball of old.

Bright yellow Taxi is cool. There are lots of shouting callouts but you can turn down the volume to notch 1. The jackpot bell is annoying, but you can unplug that.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I guess one thing I'm learning is that playing a game in a bar/arcade with all the noise around is very different than having it in your home. I just bought The Getaway after only playing it a few times and thinking it was among the funnest, most attractive games. Big mistake. It is way too loud for the home. I'll be putting it up for trade soon and that's why I'm asking this question. Taxi I love, but I've only played in an arcade and it didn't seem that loud... :-/

Well I love my games loud so external subs, shakers and volume to 11 for me. Maybe a nice floaty EM with a "ching ching" is more your speed.

#20 1 year ago

Modern games that didn’t have software written for LED but have LED in feature lights are the worst. I have mild issues with flashing lights from a concussion.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Just turn the volume down?

#22 1 year ago

Lol, avoid Data East pins. Most include shakers and have obnoxious speaker hum in a quiet environment.

Regarding turning down the volume. Williams 90s pins only let you turn the volume down to 8, but you can easily get around that with the setting:

ADJUSTMENTS -> STANDARD ADJ. -> MIN. VOL. OVERRIDE

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Re Taxi: volume can be turned down with a knob in the cabinet and bell can be easily disabled if you prefer.

#24 1 year ago

Anything '78 and older will have chimes so that won't work.

Pinball is like a poster for an action movie, so expect guns, flames, nudity, and blood.

Hagis Fathom remake maybe? Those are somewhat attractive.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pins-have-the-best-artwork

175722588_282770560131871_1575989027804476973_n (resized).png175722588_282770560131871_1575989027804476973_n (resized).png

#25 1 year ago

Why not buy a new Rock-Ola Bubnler Jukebox? I suggest the Crystal Edition....

#26 1 year ago

i've got a stranger things in the living room with a subwoofer hooked up to it

PXL_20220529_194956883 (resized).jpgPXL_20220529_194956883 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220529_195334556 (resized).jpgPXL_20220529_195334556 (resized).jpg

i don't leave it turned on or play it when other people are around, though. Difficult to have a pinball in a common area and not be obnoxious

used to be an F 14 Tomcat next to it. wife really really hated that one

#27 1 year ago

Black and White Munsters premium
Munsters-Premium-Cabinet-LF (resized).jpgMunsters-Premium-Cabinet-LF (resized).jpg

Black and White TZ. They also did a Black and White Addams Family.

black and white TZ (resized).jpgblack and white TZ (resized).jpg
e10cd8_eff20c76e1b14e3eb0f3e11028aab27amv2 (resized).jpge10cd8_eff20c76e1b14e3eb0f3e11028aab27amv2 (resized).jpg
6f8b8365ff9451cb28e289b5d3df45014bd90e47 (resized).jpg6f8b8365ff9451cb28e289b5d3df45014bd90e47 (resized).jpg
7f47d177b1c3c4ed5f6e3fa477cfbdfec4e38afc (resized).jpg7f47d177b1c3c4ed5f6e3fa477cfbdfec4e38afc (resized).jpg

#28 1 year ago
0C0605F6-FB2D-4450-BB14-BFCB276CDD6D (resized).jpeg0C0605F6-FB2D-4450-BB14-BFCB276CDD6D (resized).jpeg
#29 1 year ago

Oktoberfest
Real backglass, no flashers. Attract mode can be turned off.

oktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).pngoktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).png
#30 1 year ago

Woz or wonka. Both beautiful works of art and fun games.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

Even before I read your entire initial post, I was thinking Wizard of Oz.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Why not buy a new Rock-Ola Bubnler Jukebox? I suggest the Crystal Edition....

I agree....Rock-Ola bubblers are sweet. I have a few.

DSC_5830 (resized).JPGDSC_5830 (resized).JPG
#33 1 year ago

After reading your post I don’t think you want a pinball machine. Even when volume is turned down they are noisy with flippers and bumper coils being loud. Maybe get a cat

#34 1 year ago

Whoa Nellie!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#35 1 year ago

Give TOTAN a try. It fits all of the criteria you identify.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

After reading your post I don’t think you want a pinball machine. Even when volume is turned down they are noisy with flippers and bumper coils being loud. Maybe get a cat

This. All pinballs sound a lot, even if you turn down the volume. Coils do a lot of mechanical sound. What I mean is either you accept the game is audible and enjoy it or a pinball isn't suitable for your livingroom/house at all.

#37 1 year ago

You're obviously free to buy whatever you like, but I wouldn't recommend purchasing a game based only on it's obnoxious level. Some of pinball's greatest games have been obnoxious af. Rudy made big money for operators by insulting the players. You have 700+ games on location near you. Go out and find one you like, then get that game.

https://pinballmap.com/la

#38 1 year ago

Loud and Obnoxious, that is all pinball machines, they need to be to attract customers
People have recommend "Taxi", great game, but do you want a bright yellow box in your room?
Pinball is meant to be loud, but even the best games the sound gets repetitive

#39 1 year ago

My games aren’t “hidden” in my game room. They are show pieces and my game room is a beautiful center piece of our home. Living room is for watching movies and conversation. Game room is for gathering to play pinball!

#40 1 year ago

I don't know if there's an "adult content" setting, but after playing The Big Lebowski last week I can tell you it feels very mellow and groovy.

I know what you mean about playing a game in the wild and then buying it and being disappointed. For me the reverse is also true. I've discovered I don't care for some games at first, and then the more I play (preferably at home), the more I like them. Wonka is an excellent example for me. And perhaps a great choice for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modern-pinballs-that-aren-t-obnoxious-and-induce-seizures-?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.