Modern Pinball NYC SMH How should I respond?

(Topic ID: 207939)

Modern Pinball NYC SMH How should I respond?

By Eddie

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by FrankJ
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How Do I respond”

• Tell him to use the Hack that he replaced me with because a replacement should be the superior Tech? 7 votes
      14%
    • Tell Him Im about to call Bellvue to have him fitted with a giggle jacket because he must literally be insane. 2 votes
      4%
    • Simply reply No 11 votes
      22%
    • Agree only at $125 per Hr 29 votes
      59%

(49 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

512qgComKNL._SY355_ (resized).jpg
    1502730_10153697511030506_991869354_o (resized).jpg
    1559327_10153697511185506_1312325920_o (resized).jpg
    1496356_10153697510975506_822318928_o (resized).jpg
    1014852_10153697511120506_446921611_o (resized).jpg
    Eddie (resized).jpg
    brought some for everyone!!! (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

I just received this message on FB

" Hey Eddie. Lemme know if you'd be interested in prepping our games and keeping them going strong during the pre NYCPC tourney in May (Smiley Face inserted) "

This was written by non other than Steve Zahler Owner of MPNYC and the one that had me fired from Modern Pinball, well, He and Steve Epstein.

Back history for any new members here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-failed-today-modern-pinball-machine-fails

Modern Pinball, it appears has decided, to have a Pre New York City Pinball Championship Tournament in order to take advantage of the actual Tournament Event.

The Organizers of the NYCPC have contacted me as well but as of yet we have not made any agreements. Too be Honest I may just offer my services to them for free as I believe the goal is worthy and the organizers are great people, Levi Neiman and Tim Sexton .

#2 9 months ago

simply saying "no" is just so boring...

but for the record, if you're helping levi and tim, i say go for it!

#3 9 months ago

dont help them. keep the door closed behind you. what they did to you was not cool and they dont deserve your service.

#4 9 months ago

I'd give him a quote for the services, and ask for full cash payment up front.

anything else they offer, is lip service.

#5 9 months ago

Up your hourly rate as a PITA surcharge and get paid up front. If he balks, don’t go. You usually can’t do the right thing without taking the risk you’ll get ripped off

#6 9 months ago

I'd prioritize crazylevi . It's probably worth telling Steve you're unhappy about being fired. If you have time and are sure you'll get paid I'd probably still do the job.

#7 9 months ago

I understand the principle of the thing and would never criticize you for steering clear. But this might be an opportunity to mend a fence. Maybe Steve is looking to fix things, in the only or best way he knows how. I could be wrong about that.

I’d explore the offer and the motivation behind it. Maybe there’s a new opportunity back at Modern. God knows the place hasn’t been the same since you left. You may be able to get the gig back, for better pay and the schedule you prefer.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best!

#8 9 months ago

Hey Eddie,

Aww man sorry, didn't realize this would put you in an awkward position and bring up old stuff. Whatever you decide to do is fine, all good. I was just looking to move past and forward, and have a great tech on the job.

All the best,
    Steve Zahler

#9 9 months ago

Eddie, I’m new on Pinside and just read your story from a couple of years ago, all I can say is WOW! I personally would not accept, if they didn’t value you and your wife’s efforts then why would they now. As for the comment about “looking to move past and forward”, it seems kind of coincidental that they want to mend fences when they are in need, maybe I’m just too cynical. God bless Eddie, I hope good fortune finds you as well as all good people who give so much to others.

#10 9 months ago

brought some for everyone!!! (resized).jpg

#11 9 months ago

Take them up on the offer it’s always better to move forward in a positive direction

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

Take them up on the offer it’s always better to move forward in a positive direction

OK, but what’s the offer? Come and work on our games for free? I’d say hell no! If they value his talents then they should pay him a reasonable rate, that should be the first step to rebuilding this relationship, treating him with the respect he deserves.

#13 9 months ago

Take them up on the offer & work out the pay details is fine....

#14 9 months ago

Sometimes people need to appreciate what you offer. This can be only realized when you are gone for a while. I left my job in 1995 because of no increase in pay. A couple months after leaving they were bringing me machines to work on at more than double my previous wages.

You are in the drivers seat. Not everyone is competent at pinball repair.

#15 9 months ago

Eddie is a great tech and I hope he can patch it up with any and all possible employers! I hope we have him helping out at NYCPC as well!

#16 9 months ago

how much $$ was offered?

#17 9 months ago

Abandon pinside and express your thoughts directly to Modern.

The fact that, in your heart, you still want to help the pinball community, says all that needs to be said about your work ethic and character.

#18 9 months ago

I would take the gig for the sake of the hobby and to give the players a great experience by playing of well maintained games.

#19 9 months ago

Eddie, I've followed your thread in the past and always respected your talents and dedication. Good luck either way. One last thought: nothing good will come of you posting anything else in this thread, regardless of what you decide.

#20 9 months ago
    Quoted from GGBGROUP:

Eddie, I've followed your thread in the past and always respected your talents and dedication. Good luck either way. One last thought: nothing good will come of you posting anything else in this thread, regardless of what you decide.

I'd say his decision would be a good post in this thread. Can't leave us hanging.

#21 9 months ago

A simple "No" works here.

They didn't want you. No way of knowing what shape the games are in. And once they threw you under the bus, it's easier the next time.

If they want to mend fences. That is up to them. You don't have to meet them half way.

LTG : )

#22 9 months ago

also remember that your significant other was disrespected also.
    but i respect your decision. just posting my 2 cents as a reply to your thread. alot of respect for you and "D".

#23 9 months ago
    Quoted from Steve_Zap:

I was just looking to move past and forward, and have a great tech on the job.

What's the matter with the tech you hired to replace him after firing him?

#24 9 months ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

What's the matter with the tech you hired to replace him after firing him?

the guy cant/couldnt handle the job. did more damage to the pins than repairing them.

#25 9 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A simple "No" works here.

They didn't want you.

#26 9 months ago

Maybe offer your services comfortably above your normal rate & be able to open a closed door to your benefit as well as Levi & tsex

What they did is ridiculous/egregious but you & dahlia are great people, no reason not to cash in on their fumble all while helping NYC pinball.

#27 9 months ago

Karma is a bitch and will always surface at one point or another in life. IMHO choose what you feel is the most respectful decision for you and your wife, be comfortable with it and put it to bed.

Eddie (resized).jpg

#28 9 months ago

So this is somewhat embarrassing to say that I am just finding out about the whole situation now. Yeah I am WAY late on that one.

When I first started getting into pinball in '12 my father and I were looking anywhere to find places and I believe pinballnews.com had a piece on Modern Pinball NYC opening along with an article on the "Sunshine Laundromat". My family avoided NYC like the plague due to high prices and traffic. Well we had a week long Christmas vacation and decided to go to NYC to check out those places.

I specifically remember there was very little traffic on New Years Day and there was ample street parking right in front of the place. The hotel rates were cheap in NJ. Modern had just opened about 1-2 months. I was blown away by how many games there were, the condition they were in, and the variety of titles from all era's. I also specifically remember thanking you Ed on keeping the games in amazing condition and Mr. Epstein. The admission was cheap we felt and they were on free play which was also amazing. I believe I had said to Steve "are you that guy that owned the Broadway Arcade" and only knew about him because the article mentioned that arcade back in the day. Again, I was very new into pinball.

After I visited the Sunshine Laundromat and that place was equally insane.

That experience at Modern and Sunshine proved to me what an arcade should and could be. I also had a lot more exposure to NYC rather than Times Square, Yankee hating, etc. Last Summer my dad and I went again (we went a few times over the years) and there was a lot of SS but mainly not really fun EM's. Or really good games for that matter. I'm a sucker for EM's but not tons of them and the games played off. My dad and I however really took a liking to Sunshine and decided not to go back to Modern. Even more when Francisco left. I also noticed they went to the name of "Modern Pinball Museum" rather than "Modern Pinball NYC" and had history cards over the games like Silverball. To this day and always that vacation stands out in our minds. Each time since '12 we were looking for you fixing the games and just figured you were on vacation. Also that Funhouse with Rudy was like glass man. Like NIB quality.

1014852_10153697511120506_446921611_o (resized).jpg
    1496356_10153697510975506_822318928_o (resized).jpg
    1559327_10153697511185506_1312325920_o (resized).jpg
    1502730_10153697511030506_991869354_o (resized).jpg

#29 9 months ago

I mirror the sentiment of others, since you left the place is not the same. Last time I was there there were may games down and others (most) that were dirty and/or needed a shop job. If you chose to go back, make it worth your time. If they did disrespect your wife, never go back.

#30 9 months ago
    Quoted from robotron:

the guy cant/couldnt handle the job. did more damage to the pins than repairing them.

You say couldn't, is the 'new guy' gone now?

#31 9 months ago

Put in a list of demands- your hourly rate, equipment/materials/parts you require to carry out the job properly.

Do not work for free in any case, they are in business to make a profit, they aren't a charity.

#32 9 months ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You say couldn't, is the 'new guy' gone now?

don't know really.....but never been the same since eddie left

#33 9 months ago

Thanks for all of your kind words,views and support!

I Thought the whole issue over to the point of actually re-reading my old, What failed today, thread completely.

I saw by the votes that most would have me take on the short job for Modern.

I have decided that Money cannot buy anything no matter how much.

My self esteem,self worth and integrity are much too valuable therefore I declined the job offer to tech for Moderns tournament.

I also worked out an agreement with the NYCPC organizers and will tech for their event.

#34 9 months ago

Smart play, be true to thee self.

#35 9 months ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

I Thought the whole issue over to the point of actually re-reading my old, What failed today, thread completely.
    My self esteem,self worth and integrity are much too valuable therefore I declined the job offer to tech for Moderns tournament.
    I also worked out an agreement with the NYCPC organizers and will tech for their event.

Good for you!!!

#36 9 months ago

You've already given them your efforts from the heart Eddie... they didn't reciprocate... no need to keep putting it out there to get stepped on.

#37 9 months ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Great call - Do what's right for yourself.

#38 9 months ago

Well at least they now know what a valuable asset they lost and what to look for in the future. I know I miss your talents whenever I stop by Modern and loved reading your what broke down today thread.

#39 9 months ago

512qgComKNL._SY355_ (resized).jpg

#40 9 months ago

I think the offer was one of the sleaziest, self-serving offers that I've ever heard of. They wanted you back to make them look good for a high profile event. They could have also passed the blame on to you if things go bad. They were preying on your passion for the game.

Now, they have to accept the reputation the event brings them.

I applaud you for turning them down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 217.00
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside