Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Meat.jpg
bugsy.jpeg
50045216.jpg
anne-taintor-i-think-you-heard-me-the-first-time-sticky-notes-250x248.jpg
th.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Hello all, I have a 1967 William's Touchdown that is awaiting restoration and I was wondering, what parts are worth replacing with modern versions? for example a new power supply, I want to make it a reliable as possible and I am not worried about originality at all

#2 5 years ago

th.jpeg

#3 5 years ago

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

Knock yourself out!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-ems-to-sss-and-creating-replica-machines

#5 5 years ago

50045216.jpg

Well not that far at least, gonna keep it EM for now but you know what I mean, like the internal parts like power supply are there good replacements?

#6 5 years ago

The only power supply is the transformer and they usually last forever.

#7 5 years ago

The beauty of EMs is they'll still be working 100 years from now. SS and DMD games may well be obsolete due to lack of replacement ICs, transistors and other parts that are starting to already disappear...

#8 5 years ago

You might invest in a new wall cord because they can get frayed. But I usually wait until it shocks me. I like that "old school" look.

#9 5 years ago

Replace any #44 bulbs with #47, this will protect the plastics and inserts.

Replace the 2 prong power cord with a 3 prong grounded.

Replace metal coil sleeves with nylon for less wear, friction and dust.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You might invest in a new wall cord because they can get frayed. But I usually wait until it shocks me. I like that "old school" look.

i had a cord once that was so dry rotted you could see the electrons leaking out!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

The beauty of EMs is they'll still be working 100 years from now.

Outside of the score reels. Everything else in there can be fixed with a spot welder.

LTG : )

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The only power supply is the transformer and they usually last forever.

yup... i think i've have read every tech thread that has come up in the em subforum for the last 2 years... not once has a problem been traced to a bad transformer...

some may look like absolute crap, but they still work...

#13 5 years ago

Get a flipper rebuild kit and some new bats if they are cracked along with the other items mentioned and you are good to go!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i think i've have read every tech thread that has come up in the em subforum for the last 2 years... not once has a problem been traced to a bad transformer...

Wouldn't it suck if we all started finding out that the lifespan of a transformer is only 50 years?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wouldn't it suck if we all started finding out that the lifespan of a transformer is only 50 years?

It's not. I have older ones that still work fine.

#16 5 years ago

I knew I should have gone with 70 years, but I don't think it applies to HUO.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know I said this before, but the first year I was out of college I saw a transformer fail at work.

My wise old engineer mentor told me I have seen the only one in my lifetime that would fail due to natural causes.

And so far after 29 years he's been right.

Transformers just don't fail unless you abuse them mercilessly

#18 5 years ago

the only transformers that are worth there weight in gold is the small gottlieb system 1 xformer.
they were not fused and would blow. I know many people need them.
if you have a system 1 make sure you add a fuse asap!

#19 5 years ago

what's ironic is that they designed these machines with a relatively short lifespan in mind, yet (except for wear parts, obviously) the actual parts basically last forever...

as long as you start with a "complete" machine, you can ALWAYS make it run well... it might not be pretty, but it can be made to play 100% without a big investment...

although i do hope steve young has a succession plan in place...

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I knew I should have gone with 70 years, but I don't think it applies to HUO.

i figure every transformer, both big and small, that passes through this house will outlive me... i did a "sorta restore" of a wallbox for someone, and the little transformer that was in there looked worse than any one i've ever seen*, and it worked just as good as new... i know they are basically unkillable, but i thought that one was gone... nope...

* with the exception of the one that was in the "trashcan" jukebox i foolishly dragged home one day... that big ol' sucker was melted... still sold though...

#21 5 years ago

Congrats on adding an EM, PBH! Best way to keep it reliable is to play it a lot.

#22 5 years ago

Do EM machines fall in the theory of where the older the car is, the easier it is to fix? I can fix my Spitfire with duct tape & a spoon easily, but a modern car, well, no.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Do EM machines fall in the theory of where the older the car is, the easier it is to fix?

Maybe not always easier, but most of the time cheaper.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Do EM machines fall in the theory of where the older the car is, the easier it is to fix? I can fix my Spitfire with duct tape & a spoon easily, but a modern car, well, no.

True.

You can take almost an entire VW bug apart with a 13 mm wrench.

#25 5 years ago

EM machines don't need modern parts. When the nuclear EMP is generated during the zombie apocalypse of the great third world war, all the EM machines will be up and running.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

EM machines don't need modern parts. When the nuclear EMP is generated during the zombie apocalypse of the great third world war, all the EM machines will be up and running.

What if the nuclear EMP magnetizes all the coil stops? Then we're still screwed.

#27 5 years ago

bugsy.jpeg

It's more fun to compete.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

He's right.

EMs and all old cars that use points will still be working.

Plus any old tube radios.

So it's the crazy collectors that will have the only tech left

#29 5 years ago

It would be like putting an automatic transmission in a model A Ford.

#30 5 years ago

I try to keep everything original on older games, and I've never had a problem with EM switches or other parts. But I did finally give up on my Black Knight's playfield switches, since half of the switch stacks were assembled wrong from the factory. I installed microswitches - I hated to do it, but the game plays so much better now - much more reliable.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I try to keep everything original on older games, and I've never had a problem with EM switches or other parts. But I did finally give up on my Black Knight's playfield switches, since half of the switch stacks were assembled wrong from the factory. I installed microswitches - I hated to do it, but the game plays so much better now - much more reliable.

imo... anything that makes something "more reliable" is fair game... and since BK is a ss, you are allowed to do whatever you want anyway...

for example, i don't think it's the worst thing in the world to disable hold relays and coin lockouts...

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

Do EM machines fall in the theory of where the older the car is, the easier it is to fix?

I like to think of it as they have had time to finalize all the rules.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

What if the nuclear EMP magnetizes all the coil stops? Then we're still screwed.

we will beat the hell out of them with hammers until we de-mag them...

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

It would be like putting an automatic transmission in a model A Ford.

It would be like converting a charcoal grill to propane.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It would be like converting a charcoal grill to propane.

No please not again! I just can't take it anymore!

Ken

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

No please not again! I just can't take it anymore!
Ken

Shall we discuss this over dinner?

Meat.jpg

#37 5 years ago

< drool >

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
Filament Printing
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 92.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
ArcadeArts
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 295.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinshakers
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 249.00
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 7,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside