• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181121_193631 (resized).jpg
zxxx (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I am now on my 2nd pinball machine and went from a WCS94 to a AFMr SE (with 89 plays) and there is a HUGE Difference in playing experience. I know most of you guys and gals are way ahead of me on this but it is just night and day between the two games (even aside from the ruleset/playfield itself).

When I hade my WCS94, there was always something to do to it to tune it into working correctly. I either had to adjust the flippers, re-tighten the diverter, change a fuse, fix the soccer ball motor, or something every few weeks. I have only had the AFMrSE for a few days, but everything just works. I know it is still new, but little things like the glass not having any scratches on it, not having to replace rubbers and bulbs, no chips in the paint, its just cool. On top of that, when I open the pin and look at it the machine looks a lot more reliable than the old one. Don't get me wrong, if something breaks it is going to break hard as I can no longer replace just one light, but damn that thing is sweet on the inside.

I understand that new(er) machines are much more expensive than the older stuff, but there is a world of difference between these machines. I can see 1 modern machine being equivalent to 2 90's DMDs in value and function. I don't ever see myself as being a NIB guy either.

I know that eventually I will want to trade in my pin for a different one, but given the choice between 2 nice 90s machines (say a Fish Tales and a Judge Dredd) and a lightly used Modern Stern, JJP, or CGC machine, I think I'd have to go with the single lightly used modern machine. I think I'll enjoy the heck out of this for a year and trade it for a Star Trek or Dead Pool.

Long story short, I'm really impressed with the difference in quality and function over 20 years and am thoroughly enjoying the hobby.

20181121_193631 (resized).jpg20181121_193631 (resized).jpgzxxx (resized).jpgzxxx (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

There is definitely something nice about owning a machine that is brand new and was never on route. This is precisely why the remakes have caused the prices on the originals to drop so much.

#3 5 years ago

In comparison the significant difference is the 20 or 30 years age difference between WPC's, DE's vs. Stern, JJP, etc. In the same time frame w/ the modern machines there will be failures in mechanical & board/computer components. But considering the modern machine there will still be those accumulative issues as the machine is played. Though there is a huge difference in home use compared to a routed machine, w/ that steel ball slamming into everything, eventually things will break down.

Just imaging what pinball technology will offer in the same 25 years or so from now. Will the ball levitate or will a machine generate it's power source from an infinity battery? If Gary Stern could put a patent on the fore mentioned, he or whoever would be a billionaire.

#4 5 years ago

It would have been the same thing back then too. Honestly if the new games were routed like they were back then, I doubt they would hold up as well. It will be interesting to see how many of these 2016+ games are still working 30 years from now. The big difference though is I get the impression more are being sold to home use (at twice the price mind you) rather than routes. I do not think they are a value. Far from it. Sure there are some nice perks that have come with the invention of LED and better dot matrix - but that is just evolution - and the same could be said for almost every manufactured product out there. That being said, everything is made to be disposable and throw away and simply cheaper. For all the advances and nice extras, you still end up with an item that won't last nearly as long. There's caveats to the pro/con to all of that though.

#5 5 years ago

You know what runs better than my 1994 Honda Civic?

My 2017 Honda Civic.

#6 5 years ago

I’d take a 90s pin over a refake any day

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I know most of you guys and gals are way ahead of me on this but it is just night and day between the two games

Quoted from ezelljon:

You know what runs better than my 1994 Honda Civic?
My 2017 Honda Civic.

Yeppers.

The new games I've played are a lot deeper than the older ones too...

#8 5 years ago

I'm cursious about the notion of older machines being more easily fixed than modern ones. It's not my idea I read it on here. An average person with little skills can replace a transistor on a through hole board. Follow a wire with a buzz tone dmm. Most average home use guys won't be able to replace surface mount components. Troubleshoot Ethernet data cables to node boards etc. what does than mean when they break down in a few decades?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

I'm cursious about the notion of older machines being more easily fixed than modern ones. It's not my idea I read it on here. An average person with little skills can replace a transistor on a through hole board. Follow a wire with a buzz tone dmm. Most average home use guys won't be able to replace surface mount components. Troubleshoot Ethernet data cables to node boards etc. what does than mean when they break down in a few decades?

That's kind of where I was going. Time will tell. It really depends on how long replacement parts are made - or if others make repros. Computer components are easy to replace, but full on boards are the tough part - and with as small as some of those parts (on the boards) can be these days, it still falls into the category of something not everyone is going to have the skills or comfort level to do on their own. Who knows, in 20 years it might be common place for a person to be able to make/replace those type of parts like replacing a bolt.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's kind of where I was going. Time will tell. It really depends on how long replacement parts are made - or if others make repros. Computer components are easy to replace, but full on boards are the tough part - and with as small as some of those parts (on the boards) can be these days, it still falls into the category of something not everyone is going to have the skills or comfort level to do on their own. Who knows, in 20 years it might be common place for a person to be able to make/replace those type of parts like replacing a bolt.

Yeah 3D print new afmr light board!

#11 5 years ago

Yep. Somehow the've managed to build them with what looks to be much cheaper insides and electronics and can now charge twice as much for them.

That is progress!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modern-machines-vs-90s-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.