(Topic ID: 128797)

Moderation ...

By PinChili

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

darkbeer.jpg
    all.jpg
    MG_Midget_Large.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    punk.png
    Romeo_Dev_280_765657a.jpg
    Jobu.jpg
    comacho.jpg
    rules.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#2 8 years ago

Pinside is Dutch... and you can often figure out the moderators by the comments they leave behind. Some have particularities in their writing styles

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

some people have taken moderation so seriously that they create very hostile you tube videos where they just launch a personal attack on moderators. Some even go so far as to publish personal information about moderators

That's nuts. Worst I'd ever do is simply stop visiting this site, which I've done occasionally for a bit after some moderation I disagreed with. I'm firmly of the opinion that less is best when it comes to moderation, but after seeing some of the crazy postings here lately...

#13 8 years ago

Regarding the deletion of Rai's chick-pic from Jpop meltdown thread... perhaps there can be a more formal declaration of "thread lockdown" when mods decide no more OT stuff in a particular discussion? Tough to gauge the rules when OT pics are welcomed and enjoyed in one thread but nuked in another. Need consistency.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

1) The mods specifically asked that no chick pics be posted in that thread.

There's eleven thousand posts in that thread. Easy to miss that request (I definitely never saw it). Need something in the header, or an icon, or some other way to convey such requests.

Just trying to be practical

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

My only beef with moderation is that they sometimes post snarky comments and/or assumtions bordering personal attacks themselves in the remarks.

Yep, eliminating this would also cut down on the psycho revenge factor the mods seem to have to deal with these days...

Perhaps only allow the mods to publicly state the rule that was violated, and leave the color commentary for only the moderated person to see?

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Stupid question.
    How do you open a "moderation feedback thread"?

Start a new thread like normal, but select the mod feedback board and it'll auto-hide it from everyone but the mods.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Now, everyone wants to pull apart every little thing you say and try to prove that you are an evil overlord.

No, sometimes the comments (not just from you) make the mods appear to be acting as evil overlords.

Jokes among peers are great. Jokes from those who have the power to censor the person they're joking about aren't so good.

There is never anything funny about kicking someone out of a discussion against their will.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Would it be ok if a pinsider sprinkled pics all over Pinside of guys in g-strings bent over pinball machines, and it went on and on? Would it somewhat diminish this site for any of you?

Absolutely OK, with no diminishment at all. Actually, quite the opposite of diminishment...

#154 8 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

if a person really wants to know, they can ask in private and will get the answer if the question is not asked in a curse filled rant

I'm 69 posts behind, but will say, this kinda solves the original problem. Can we mark this thread resolved?

#156 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Alright, you think politics and religion should be allowed to be inserted into threads, and I respect you for giving your opinion. I think otherwise. Have a good day.

Who said anything about politics or religion? You were promising us some hot man pics... where are they?!

#159 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

The result of it all has been that RGP has become a forum with very little traffic. Overmoderation could cause that to happen, too, but no moderation is the driving cause behind what has happened there

I don't think that is the case, it's not that hard to set ignore filters and killfiles to block the few trolls, assuming one has the proper software. What killed RGP was a lack of newsservers (and people using dedicated newsreading software) and google's decision to "upgrade" their groups site (which is much worse than the original version). OTOH, Pinside is a technical marvel, with more customization and features than just about any other forum I've seen. It's tough for USENET to compete on usability (ba-boom*tish).

Pinside's one drawback is the single site/single owner/lack of archiving ability... but this is basically the way things are nowadays.

#198 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

I would love to be a Moderator.

I don't see why anyone would want that job. Huge time sink and for what reward? If I had to do it, the only posts I'd ever moderate would be those that were either plainly illegal, or borderline (personal information, etc). Otherwise, let jerks be jerks... the site has a wonderful ignore feature....

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I'll post some selfies when I get home. Any certain poses you're looking for, I'm pretty flexible?

Surprise me!

#244 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

You know, there might exist, somewhere, an african american who doesn't get offended by other ethnicities using the n-word

What are you talking about... people like that are all over the place. Plenty of black people have white friends who toss that term around in friendly banter.

It's not the word, it's how the word is said and why.

EDIT noah beat me to it

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moderation-1?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.