(Topic ID: 128797)

Moderation ...

By PinChili

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

darkbeer.jpg
    all.jpg
    MG_Midget_Large.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    punk.png
    Romeo_Dev_280_765657a.jpg
    Jobu.jpg
    comacho.jpg
    rules.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

OMG I never knew this, but you are right!
    This, this right here, is hypocrisy at it's finest.
    punk.png

This is really depressing that you guys are so busted up over learning that you shouldn't call little people midgets. Take your embarrassment out on me all you want but hopefully in the end you'll use a more considerate term next time.

#202 8 years ago

Well this thread has certainly gone off the rails.

#203 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

You and beelzebob have similar dog avatars

oh, sure, now all dogs look the same. what's next, white people?

#204 8 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Ha!
    Try this one:
    I was actually kicked out of the thread who's sole focus was discussion among people who had been kicked out of the SkitB thread!?!?!!?!? Ouch.
    Tempted to start a thread "I was kicked out of the kicked-out thread club", but I suspect id be the only member...

no..not they only one....I also share this shame.but pan out for me yesterday as my older son hear this think it means the world to me to have this happen take me out last night for killer deep dish pizza..on the way home I hang my head just a bit he say come on dad I will take you for a cake of your choice! thanks pinside!

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

any word can be derogatory based on the context in which it is used. I have in fact known someone well who was a midget and had no problem with people using the word to describe him as long as it wasn't used in a condescending way.
    getting hatespeech from Beezleboob's comment is about as far reaching as me pulling this meaning out of pez's name. He'll refuse to see it, though.

Exactly! It's all about context and the person involved.

And I think the way PezPunk paints women/minorities as helpless victims that will get offended and emotionally distraught if you sneeze at them wrong is more offensive than anything else.

#206 8 years ago

EDIT: Not worth getting into

#207 8 years ago

The way this thread has taken off you would think the moderators had started a pinball company and run off with 'investors ' money

#209 8 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

oh, sure, now all dogs look the same. what's next, white people?

You don't know how much this made me laugh. Best response in the thread so far.

#210 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

any word can be derogatory based on the context in which it is used. I have in fact known someone well who was a midget and had no problem with people using the word to describe him as long as it wasn't used in a condescending way.
    getting hatespeech from Beezleboob's comment is about as far reaching as me pulling this meaning out of pez's name. He'll refuse to see it, though.

Sorry man you are 100% in the wrong on this one. I suggest you ask this friend of yours how he feels about being referred to as either a midget or a munchkin. Typically they say it is about like being called the n-word. I'm not making this up just to get on peoples case here. Again how hard is it to just be like "whoops my bad won't happen again"

#211 8 years ago

I just wasted 30 minutes of my life reading the last couple of pages of this thread...much to say about nothing...good-bye...

#212 8 years ago

I gotta admit, I've heard little people get pretty flippin' mad at the term midget.

EDIT: Not heard that little people lost their shit, I've literally heard/seen little people in same room as me lose their shit.

You know, there might exist, somewhere, an african american who doesn't get offended by other ethnicities using the n-word. But that by no means makes it ok to do so.

Think this is getting pretty far off topic though.... might need to be shut down right about now.

#213 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

Exactly! It's all about context and the person involved.
    And I think the way PezPunk paints women/minorities as helpless victims that will get offended and emotionally distraught if you sneeze at them wrong is more offensive than anything else.

If you had left your personal grudge for me out of this you wouldn't be defending such a ludicrous position right now.

#214 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Sorry man you are 100% in the wrong on this one. I suggest you ask this friend of yours how he feels about being referred to as either a midget or a munchkin. Typically they say it is about like being called the n-word. I'm not making this up just to get on peoples case here. Again how hard is it to just be like "whoops my bad won't happen again"

because I did have a conversation about it with the person and he said he didn't give a shit. Do I have to type that out a third time before you understand it or are you just a mental midget?

And relating everything to the n-word to make it sound bad doesn't make it so.

#215 8 years ago

The thread about moderation goes off-track, unmoderated. LOLZ

IBTL

#216 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

I've heard little people get pretty flippin' mad at the term midget.

MG_Midget_Large.jpgMG_Midget_Large.jpg

#217 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Typically they say it is about like being called the n-word.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. The n-word is used as a term of endearment quite regularly

#218 8 years ago
    Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

The thread about moderation goes off-track, unmoderated. LOLZ
    IBTL

Um, you really want me to tell everyone to get back to the topic of yelling at moderators?

Edit: Seriously though, behave y'all. Also, please remember to use your Ignore buttons to make your Pinside experience a better one.

#219 8 years ago

Topic - Moderation

#220 8 years ago

I have received moderation for posting off-topic in the thread about moderation.

I promise to play nice from here on!

#221 8 years ago

Well now, this is fun. Every thread I read recently has to have a forced conscience to tell me what's right and what is wrong. So glad there are people that can do that for me since I have lost the ability to discern for myself. Just once I would like to read a thread where there is no social-conscience moderation by a non-moderator. IBTL.

#222 8 years ago

In an effort to steer this back on track, and to brown nose, thank you moderators for keeping people in line and making people question whether that insult or threat is necessary or adds to the conversation.

In my experience, without active moderators, forum quality declines to rage wars and spam.

#223 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I'll post some selfies when I get home. Any certain poses you're looking for, I'm pretty flexible?

Now we're getting somewhere!

#224 8 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Topic - Moderation

Oh, I thought we were debating offensive words.

#225 8 years ago

Mods are AWESOME! Thanks for everything you do and the time spent doing them. Very much appreciated.

#226 8 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Oh, I thought we were debating offensive words.

nah. That was just a moderator action time test sequence. They passed!

#227 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

because I did have a conversation about it with the person and he said he didn't give a shit. Do I have to type that out a third time before you understand it or are you just a mental midget?
    And relating everything to the n-word to make it sound bad doesn't make it so.

I didn't invent the comparison. Earlier, I asked people to do ten seconds of googling in order to prevent them from embarrassing themselves further but apparently some can't be bothered, so I'll do it for you. You're welcome.

http://www.eurweb.com/2014/06/little-women-la-star-tonya-banks-puts-midget-in-the-same-class-as-the-n-word/
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090706084841AAVx8al
    http://www.therightperspective.org/2009/07/06/midget-like-nigger-little-people/
    http://www.pbs.org/pov/bigenough/special_dwarfism_ety.php
    http://www.examiner.com/article/why-the-word-midget-is-so-offensive-to-little-people

#228 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I asked people to do ten seconds of googling in order to prevent them from embarrassing themselves further but apparently some can't be bothered, so I'll do it for you. You're welcome.

Again, so glad we have this nice service.

#229 8 years ago

pezpunk, why do they need an additional identifier to begin with? how about "people"?

#231 8 years ago

pezpunk, why do they need an additional identifier to begin with? how about "people"?

Are you serious? Because people refer to them as midgets and they absolutely friggin hate that. Why is that so hard for some people to accept and move on from?

#232 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Are you serious?

yes, i am serious. dwarf, midget, little person, vertically-challenged, etc. all put the emphasis on their physical difference.

it absolutely doesn't matter what the word is, it's what you're doing with it

#233 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

If you had left your personal grudge for me out of this you wouldn't be defending such a ludicrous position right now.

I have no personal grudge against you. I would treat you like anyone else in a normal pinball thread talking about pinball. I just think your opinions suck.

Anytime a topic comes up about women in pinball or any minority group, you white knight your way in to let everyone know how morally superior you are.

Seriously, it's disgusting the way you paint women as these helpless puppies who aren't capable of moving along or hitting the drain button on a girls of pinball thread, and instead just quit the hobby all together. Making a group of people out to be helpless victims who can't take care of or advocate for themselves is more sexist/racist/midgetist than ANY word or image.

#234 8 years ago

I take offense to being called "white".

#235 8 years ago

It's simple.

You don't get to choose moderation here.

Go back to RGP.

#236 8 years ago

Okay. Apparently it's okay to talk about munchkins when playing WOZ but not anywhere else. I've edited my post so as not offend people's finer sensibilities.

Sometimes being on pinside is like being invited to a party full of white people talking about their stocks.

#237 8 years ago

I'd be a moderator of the opportunity arose... (hint hint)

#238 8 years ago
    Quoted from ViolinSteve:

Again, so glad we have this nice service.

I did my best to point it out politely the first few times. But people wanted to argue for three pages about how midget wasn't really bad and I was just making it all up. None of this would have happened if instead the response had been "oh, they hate that? Sorry, won't happen again". That coulda been the end of it. but instead we get this ridiculous outrage directed at the messenger.

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I'll post some selfies when I get home. Any certain poses you're looking for, I'm pretty flexible?

Surprise me!

#240 8 years ago

yes, i am serious. dwarf, midget, little person, vertically-challenged, etc. all put the emphasis on their physical difference.
    it absolutely doesn't matter what the word is, it's what you're doing with it

If little people are going around asking people not to use the term midget (to the point where they are forming organizations and petitioning corporations and such) why is it so freaking hard to be like "oh, ok, sure no problem"?

#241 8 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Topic - Moderation

That is so classic and ironic. I love it.

#242 8 years ago

i'm not saying it's hard. do you describe the physical features of everyone you talk about, my bearded, dark-haired, light-skinned, male friend?

if not, you're still singling them out

#243 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I take offense to being called "white".

Finally...something funny!

#244 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

You know, there might exist, somewhere, an african american who doesn't get offended by other ethnicities using the n-word

What are you talking about... people like that are all over the place. Plenty of black people have white friends who toss that term around in friendly banter.

It's not the word, it's how the word is said and why.

EDIT noah beat me to it

#245 8 years ago
    Quoted from asay:

I have no personal grudge against you. I would treat you like anyone else in a normal pinball thread talking about pinball. I just think your opinions suck.
    Anytime a topic comes up about women in pinball or any minority group, you white knight your way in to let everyone know how morally superior you are.
    Seriously, it's disgusting the way you paint women as these helpless puppies who aren't capable of moving along or hitting the drain button on a girls of pinball thread, and instead just quit the hobby all together. Making a group of people out to be helpless victims who can't take care of or advocate for themselves is more sexist/racist/midgetist than ANY word or image.

"I have no personal grudge against you .... Now here are all the reasons i I hate you".

Leave me and your grudge against me out of this. All I did was point out that calling little people midgets or munchkins was a crappy way to behave, and you felt you had to respond based on your disapproval of my opinions on an entirely different topic. That is called a grudge.

#246 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

being on pinside is like being invited to a party full of white people

I really do take offense to being called "white".

#247 8 years ago

247 posts and 77 pinsiders....ffs

all.jpgall.jpg

#248 8 years ago

pezpunk does a much better job of sounding like #1 than assay does of sounding like data.

Sorry, asay.

#249 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

"I have no personal grudge against you .... Now here are all the reasons i I hate you".

You are the master of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I never said I hated you, I just don't like your opinions.

You have your right to those opinions, and I have the right to disagree with them.

No hate here.

#250 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

If little people are going around asking people not to use the term midget (to the point where they are forming organizations and petitioning corporations and such) why is it so freaking hard to be like "oh, ok, sure no problem"?

so your saying some of us are "short sighted" on this subject?

There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moderation-1/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.