(Topic ID: 128797)

Moderation ...

By PinChili

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

darkbeer.jpg
    all.jpg
    MG_Midget_Large.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    punk.png
    Romeo_Dev_280_765657a.jpg
    Jobu.jpg
    comacho.jpg
    rules.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 8 years ago

(self-moderated)

I seem to have posted the kind of un-constructive, snarky comment that irks me when I see other people do it. I could clarify the point I was trying to make but I doubt anyone is interested. Withdrawn.

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I personally think when someone is moderated, they deserve a PM from the Mod explaining why.

OR, if they want to know why, they can start a mod feedback thread. Many reasons are very obvious.

The mods do so much here, and there IS a way to start a discussion if feel they want to talk about it.

Forcing mods to write paragraphs every time is adding more work to what is essentially a volunteer position, one which people seem to be hostile towards.

They put up with enough, they don't need more work. If you want to know why they did something, ask.

Quoted from gcp:

Perhaps the only thing more annoying than anonymous moderator snark, is whining about how hard moderation is?

I think it's more annoying to hear people whine about mods.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

now you're moving the goal post. You asked about men in thong pics and that's what I responded to. I could respond to these as well and I assure you that my answer will remain consistent.

Alright, you think politics and religion should be allowed to be inserted into threads, and I respect you for giving your opinion. I think otherwise. Have a good day.

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I personally think when someone is moderated, they deserve a PM from the Mod explaining why.
    The PM would of course be civil, and would explain why they were moderated and what rule they violated.

This is already the case.

If the person got ugly, well, then maybe they need a short or long term vacation from Pinside more than just a post edit/moderation.
    If someone gets hostile with the moderators, or other forum members, they have no reason to be here.
    Just tagging something at the end of the thread isn't super useful.

This is all already the case, as well. Nobody gets banned for a first time offense. Also moderator comments appear in the post moderated.

Moderators should be held to a higher standard than regular forum members. They should be the people that bite their tongues instead of respond.

Oh man are they ever, and I'm sure they do.

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

Yet these people VOLUNTEER their time, energy and unfortunately sanity because they love pinball, this site, and all of us.

I love you, man.

#106 8 years ago

I want to be a vigilante moderator......like a super hero that helps the police, but isn't really legal to do. I'll have this place cleaned up in no time

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

This post was moderated and edited for Ignoring Pinside staff requests 2 hours ago. A thread eject was issued

John they do that already. See above quote. The Mod leaves a specific reason and the perp knows why. Leave the moderators alone. We should all be made to either Donate $ or Vol our time as Sub Mods to help out.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You end up in Amarillo hosting a garden show.
    LTG : )

At least someone gets it (these young DMD guys won't).

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

Alright, you think politics and religion should be allowed to be inserted into threads, and I respect you for giving your opinion. I think otherwise. Have a good day.

Maybe we should all be made to donate after 1 year and individual opinions may hold more weight. Or we should all be made to be Mods for a day?

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from gcp:

Perhaps the only thing more annoying than anonymous moderator snark, is whining about how hard moderation is?

I don't consider stating a pure fact that it's a tough thing to do is whining about it at all.

What IS whining are the people who knowingly violate the board rules repeatedly, get called for it, and then jump up and down and hold their breath until they turn blue.

People who willfully violate a rule and then act surprised when someone calls them on it are like old ladies who are shocked that there are curse words in a dictionary.

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I want to be a vigilante moderator......like a super hero that helps the police, but isn't really legal to do. I'll have this place cleaned up in no time

Not recommended ....

#112 8 years ago

Humor, even off color humor is fine. I would, however, prefer to participate in forums that are respectful to all users. Women are pinball enthusiasts and pinside users as well....and it would be nice if people took a second to keep that in mind when posting. When threads turn into juvenile boys club T&A fests, I just bounce...but it does make me wonder how comfortable I would feel in general if I were a woman. I am not saying women aren't capable of fart and dick jokes or that we all have to tread on PC eggshells......just that everyone should really think about the site as something more than just the boys club garage. All inclusive and respectful (which Pinside IS most of the time)!

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

Lol. You can always tell when someone has never been in a position of leadership. Maybe its not their fault- they've just never been exposed to it. Maybe they are too young to haven't had the opportunity yet- we've all been there. Maybe they just don't have what it takes, and never mentally mature. It's never terribly evident "why" someone can't lead (or be part of a group), but it IS always pretty evident that its hopeless. I mean, come on. This site irritates me to no end sometimes (but its never the entity Pinside or the mods, its the users). I hardly ever post. But I read a lot, and whatever I do is my choice. Moderation is a shitty job. The open-ended, rewarding piece of leadership is squashed as soon as you place "Moderator" on someone because the USERS look at them as a "de facto" leader, or not a leader at all- simply a "rule violation writer upper who are aaaaalways looking to flex their power." Yet these people VOLUNTEER their time, energy and unfortunately sanity because they love pinball, this site, and all of us. Some people don't get it. Rules are a guide. Some black and white, but a helluva lot of grey. Every situation is different. Fairness, consistency and stability is the goal of every decision- but there is no blanket approach in any situation. A user can always cry foul- its really easy to play devils advocate and some here do it flawlessly everyday (OP). I think the best leadership advice I have ever received was "A good leader knows when to look the other way." Yes, I am aware an untrained mind can have an absolute heyday with that statement, but the true people in leadership positions (most people in one way or another) can understand exactly what this means. I don't envy the moderators, but I do respect the hell out of them for what they give ME. This place is here because they are. You'd have chased everyone away by now without them. Thanks mods for all you do.

I started on pinball forums at RGP. It's unmoderated and you can say whatever you want. And while that's fun for awhile, it also attracts the complete toolbags who show up there solely to troll. I've never understood that mentality and I never will, but whatever.

The result of it all has been that RGP has become a forum with very little traffic. Overmoderation could cause that to happen, too, but no moderation is the driving cause behind what has happened there.

#114 8 years ago

I don't post very often myself. I believe moderators have a necessary job to do. It isn't glamorous and it doesn't pay well (ha), and certainly not everyone will agree with every decision they make. I believe that they try very hard to do the right thing, all the time. They are humans and not perfect, but I appreciate that their role and glad I don't have to take my turn!. I also appreciate Pinside for all of the help it has given me with advice, with buying, with selling, with learning, with giving and getting information. Thanks for all you do for us Robin, and for all of the people who help you.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

yeah well that is how you learn if you don't know ask and if you don't agree voice a concern.
    i see your post as the fact that you read it and is a statement like that just a troll comment to get a reaction (well i noticed )
    looks like 2month BTW.

I round up and it turns out his past accounts have been banned so he obviously still has issues with site rules.

#116 8 years ago

Something I cannot understand about the negative response, with the exception of snarky comments being attached - what is so difficult about being mature on a public forum? No need to mention the constitution to support whatever behavior. No need to hassle moderators, just behave with manners, courtesy, the things we are taught (hopefully) as children. While I've typed some things I'd probably have edited, I try to keep my comments positive. Don't call people names, make presumptive claims without verifiable evidence (and for that matter a good reason).

It doesn't seem so hard but routinely I'm just pretty unimpressed by the lack of thoughtfulness in so many comments/threads. Keep it clean, keep it on point. Thanks moderators for doing a really tough job, Robin for putting together a great site, and three standard deviations of community members for being clear-headed and courteous on a regular basis.

#117 8 years ago

Site moderation is fine.

I appreciate that Pinside is moderated loosely. It's a forum about a hobby, not science or politics.

OT: I believe Pinside used to show who did the moderating then removed the name. Reversing that change would be a mistake.

If it was you who (or to whomever) got kicked out of your own Moderator Feedback thread, I'm sorry. You have lost the internet for the day.

#118 8 years ago

Personally, I think the mods do a good job responding to issues, reported threads, and from keeping things from getting too rowdy. I come here to share my interest in pinball with other like-minded folks, and really appreciate that things generally stick to that and are basically kept PG-13. I've been a mod on other forums operated in a similar manner, and it does take a good amount of time and effort behind the scenes to keep things clean and friendly, especially with a user base this large.

Keep in mind that the mods are volunteers and they really don't have to be here, but they are here because they want to see this community thrive because, after all, they live here too. They really aren't "out to get you". If you think that, then you're probably doing something wrong.

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

I am not declaring this a government website or something folks where my rights have to be enforced by law. It is only a REQUEST. But I do think a user (any human being) deserves the right to know which moderator has an issue with their posting. If the user is being legitimately moderated then I don't understand why a moderator would feel threatened by having their username shown as well.

Best of luck with ur posts

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I started on pinball forums at RGP. It's unmoderated and you can say whatever you want. And while that's fun for awhile, it also attracts the complete toolbags who show up there solely to troll. I've never understood that mentality and I never will, but whatever.
    The result of it all has been that RGP has become a forum with very little traffic. Overmoderation could cause that to happen, too, but no moderation is the driving cause behind what has happened there.

Ewww, yeah, I wasn't meaning for that to seem as though "looking the other way" was a suggestion or that I wanted more or less of it. I just meant sometimes its an easy one for them- black and white like maybe name calling or something. Sometimes its grey- like the JPOP thread where many posts if viewed "technically" would be ejected. But the environment and public feeling "change the rules" a bit of what is allowed in SOME ways. People need that. And sometimes its a "look the other way" for a multitude of potential reasons which only the involved parties may understand. But regardless, a mostly thankless job and they never, ever whine until they are poked (cmon peeps, don't poke the bear) or prodded into these ridiculous threads.

#121 8 years ago

Shouldn't need babysitters but we do. Sorry, Robin.

drain

#122 8 years ago

Funny how differently everyone sees things.

I see no whining at all. But questions being raised and a discussion about it.

Yeah pez the cops ticket thing. I don't think that was a good example.

How does one become a moderator??? I did not vote for them. LoL

Is there a term of office??? Or Kingly powers for life???

Are moderators cycled in and out? May be good for their health.

I am kidding and serious at the same time. Some guys may enjoy helping out.

#123 8 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

I round up and it turns out his past accounts have been banned so he obviously still has issues with site rules.

If this is true why is he here? Multiple accounts are not allowed. Is PinChilli really Choggard in disguise?

#124 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

How does one become a moderator??? I did not vote for them. LoL

You don't vote for police officers, either.

(And, really....you wouldn't want "elected" moderators. That would be....wow....).

How did I get to be a moderator? I think I pulled a magical sword out of a rock.

(Actually....someone applies. We do a thorough background search and see how they conduct themselves on-site, how reasonable they seem to be, how active they are, and how they approach problems).

Quoted from CNKay:

Is there a term of office??? Or Kingly powers for life???

We do it for as long as we can handle it.

Quoted from CNKay:

Are moderators cycled in and out? May be good for their health.

Some leave willingly when they've had enough. There are a few "former mods" still running around. Typically, they get to a point where they start adding up their hours moderating, and then calculate how much they get paid. Then they have a good cry.

Seriously, a lot of former mods just got to a point where they couldn't invest the amount of time needed to do an effective job, so they stepped down.

Personally, I'll be here forever. You're stuck with me.

Pete

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

You are now putting words into my mouth. I do not think it's acceptable. However, if someone does insert politics or religion into a thread, I just ignore it and move on past it to the next post. So I respect that you respect the opinion that you gave me. Oh, and have a good day yourself, as well.

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Is PinChilli really Choggard in disguise?

Dear God, no.

No...no...no.

It's a complicated thing, and you just have to have faith that we are doing our best to get things worked out. I'm not going to air the behind-the-scenes "dirty laundry" regarding this case here. It's not fair to PinChili....and it's not how we should handle things.

Pete

#127 8 years ago

Maybe we should all be made to donate after 1 year and individual opinions may hold more weight. Or we should all be made to be Mods for a day?

how about fines?

seriously, though, from what i've seen, it takes a lot (whether individually or collectively) to get the moderators involved in a thread. that is, unless kaneda started the thread.

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

How did I get to be a moderator? I think I pulled a magical sword out of a rock.
    (Actually....someone applies. We do a thorough background search and see how they conduct themselves on-site, how reasonable they seem to be, how active they are, and how they approach problems).

Speak for yourself. Some of us were personally asked. (I think there was a need for a token female, and I happened to be the only one around...)

It is true that Robin does a complete check of every single post you've ever made though before considering handing over the Magical Moderator Sword.(tm)

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

how about fines?
    seriously, though, from what i've seen it takes a lot (whether individually or collectively) to get the moderators involved in a thread. that is, unless, kaneda started the thread.

I would love to be a Moderator. I am already on this site waaaaay too much and if bestowed a Mod status could separate Personal Opinion for Community rules. I have a thick skin and would love to do my part. This site is incredible and I would be proud!

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Speak for yourself. Some of us were personally asked. (I think there was a need for a token female, and I happened to be the only one around...)
    It is true that Robin does a complete check of every single post you've ever made though before considering handing over the Magical Moderator Sword.(tm)

Wait, we had a choice in this?

#131 8 years ago

if bestowed a Mod status could separate Personal Opinion for community rules.

i could not. i certainly wouldn't rule with a closed fist, though

comacho.jpgcomacho.jpg
    #132 8 years ago

THREAD WARNING: OP will probably PM you back and forth till a "F*%k off" is thrown at Ya. Mods are right, he needs the last word and that word is "off".

#133 8 years ago

I wanted to be a moderator at one point. Then I thought, why would I do that?

I love busting balls here, and having them busted back. I've been warned once, and punted from a thread once, both unfairly in my estimation. I get that moderators have to walk a fine line between keeping this a friendly place and not making it too much of a haven for wussbags.

That said, I think some people around here have to grow a pair of balls...even if you're a woman. It's the internet where just about anything goes. Have a sense of humor for Christ's sake. And understand that your humor might not match that of another person's. That doesn't make it offensive. I've NEVER felt the need to report somebody else's colorful humor because I didn't find it funny.

Cry me a river. Build a bridge. Get over it.

Case in point: A guy was looking for a set of four 26" legs, so I said I found them and posted a picture of 2 little people from the TLC show. That was f-ing funny no matter how you slice it, especially since the two (insert whatever boring PC term you want here) are exploiting their size for money on a TV show. The picture got pulled and I got a warning for it.

That one still sticks in my craw.

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

what are the duplicate accounts?

I wish people were not allowed to change handles or get new accounts so easily.

#135 8 years ago

I would NEVER want to be a moderator. Life's too short to put up with the abuse. I have much respect for those that choose to do this thank-less job though.

#136 8 years ago

If elected moderator, I think it would be good to have some holy santos brought to the forums...to guard the threads and to bring us good luck. El Santo Niño de Atocha is a good one. My Aunt Concha has seen him.

And...and I'd like to see more of that. If you vote for me, all of your wildest dreams will come true. Thank you.

#137 8 years ago

The moderator job is already thankless enough without their life being made worse by confrontation. More risk of confrontation reduces the effectiveness of moderators.

By example, plenty of people argued that the Choggard chronicles needed stronger handling by moderators, not weaker moderation. I don't think we need to hand-cuff the moderators more.

#138 8 years ago

I actually thought about applying for the last round of moderators. Wasn't sure I really had the tenure the team was looking for yet. My background makes me want to lead and solve issues. Sometimes we see quite a few of them especially with certain posters mentioned in post above. It's to be expected tho. I've been slapped down once, I probably deserved it too. We all need a reality check sometimes.

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

No idea, I don't know the story and don't care. You can block IPs but you can renew an IP easily. Just follow the rules and talk pinball. If you join a "off topic" or a sensitive thread (JPop, JJP or Skit-B) know going in that some people lost $ or have opinions that they take personal.

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

If elected moderator, I think it would be good to have some holy santos brought to the forums...to guard the threads and to bring us good luck.

needs more Jobu

Jobu.jpgJobu.jpg
    #141 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I wanted to be a moderator at one point.

I wanted to be a cowboy.

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wanted to be a cowboy.
    » YouTube video

Cowboy...you can ride my horse anytime.

Oh...wait...

#143 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I can't imagine an easy way to enforce this, the effort required would be substantial, no?

Would monitoring/regulating new accounts hinder new people joining?

Good in theory, might be hard in practice.

#144 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Craz4pin was one of them.

#145 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

They figured that this gang of nerds would think "tall...and blonde..." and obey your every whim...

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Craz4pin was one of them.

Is this a guess? I hope he's not back.

#147 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

I can't imagine an easy way to enforce this, the effort required would be substantial, no?

You can IP ban someone. They can get around it, but if they truly want to do that, they have more issues than just internet message board problems.

#148 8 years ago

If you have to create duplicate accounts to post something you shouldn't be posting it.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from robbiedoo:

You can ban IP's, but it's easy to get around and most home internet has dynamic IP's anyway.

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Robin doubled our pay recently. Sadly anything multiplied by zero is still zero.
    I've been slacking around here lately because of multiple personal things going on keeping me busy, but wanted to paste in something that I told someone in a feedback thread a few weeks ago. They were questioning why we couldn't catch everything in threads, and also questioned how to know which mod had done what, so I tried to address those points. We used to have our names tied to every moderation we did, and honestly I almost quit Pinside after being personally targeted/harassed for months on end via multiple venues for one moderation I did that was only a warning for breaking the rules.
    Hopefully this sheds a teeny bit of light on the fact that we do try our best, but we're only human and can only do so much. Honestly we can't catch everything, because there's no way to read it all, and rely heavily on the reports that you all send in to know where to look for things that potentially need moderation. And we/Robin have been working on establishing a better/easier/clearer set of forum rules/regulations so that we can be more consistent, which is the cause of most of the moderation issues these days. (If anyone has ideas on this, feel free to start a feedback thread and let us know.)
    And because this quote is from 3 weeks ago, here are the current stats:
    543 Pinsiders Online
    184 Guests Online
    In the past 24 hours, we've seen 93 new topics, 2,091 posts and 3,271 of 27,375 Pinsiders logging on.
    *Still 8 active mods.

wow that's selective quoting. You left out the parts about how the mods don't need to look at things after they censure a post, just dropping the edit hammer and leaving is fine.

There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moderation-1/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.