4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 268 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

darkbeer.jpg
    all.jpg
    MG_Midget_Large.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    punk.png
    Romeo_Dev_280_765657a.jpg
    Jobu.jpg
    comacho.jpg
    rules.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 4 years ago

When a moderator deems someone's post to be against Pinside rules and they actually issue a thread eject (or warning or whatever) that moderator's name should absolutely be displayed along with their comments. It should not be done anonymously.

In the United States constitution we have the right to face our accuser as guaranteed by the 6th amendment. I think that's common sense and should be applied here too.

#2 4 years ago

Pinside is Dutch... and you can often figure out the moderators by the comments they leave behind. Some have particularities in their writing styles

#3 4 years ago

This is a privately owned board. So your constitutional rights don't apply here.

#4 4 years ago

This will not be happening anytime soon as some people have taken moderation so seriously that they create very hostile you tube videos where they just launch a personal attack on moderators. Some even go so far as to publish personal information about moderators.

If you have questions regarding who moderated your post, open a moderator feedback thread.

This thread will be monitored closely. If a civil discussion takes place, it will remain open.

If it turns into a free for all attack on Pinside and/or it's Moderation, it will be closed.

Marcus

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

When a moderator deems someone's post to be against Pinside rules and they actually issue a thread eject (or warning or whatever) that moderator's name should absolutely be displayed along with their comments. It should not be done anonymously.
    In the United States constitution we have the right to face our accuser as guaranteed by the 6th amendment. I think that's common sense and should be applied here too.

We are visitors to this site. We do not have rights, consider this place a privilege to be a part of and if you treat it that way, I highly doubt anyone would have a reason to boot you from any thread.

#6 4 years ago

I am not declaring this a government website or something folks where my rights have to be enforced by law. It is only a REQUEST. But I do think a user (any human being) deserves the right to know which moderator has an issue with their posting. If the user is being legitimately moderated then I don't understand why a moderator would feel threatened by having their username shown as well.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

some people have taken moderation so seriously that they create very hostile you tube videos where they just launch a personal attack on moderators. Some even go so far as to publish personal information about moderators

That's nuts. Worst I'd ever do is simply stop visiting this site, which I've done occasionally for a bit after some moderation I disagreed with. I'm firmly of the opinion that less is best when it comes to moderation, but after seeing some of the crazy postings here lately...

#8 4 years ago

Just to be clear: will every post that is somewhat OT result in a tread eject? I fail to see how posting a humorous picture is justification for a thread ejection. I look forward to seeing a lot of thread ejections if posting something OT is reason for a thread eject. Are the mods being consistent or just ejecting people they don't like?

#9 4 years ago

Hmm...I wonder if something changed. Once I got a warning by a mod and I could see exactly who it was (absocountry).

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

I am not declaring this a government website or something folks where my rights have to be enforced by law. It is only a REQUEST. But I do think a user (any human being) deserves the right to know which moderator has an issue with their posting. If the user is being legitimately moderated then I don't understand why a moderator would feel threatened by having their username shown as well.

Given instances where people are being moderated generally means they are acting outside the guidelines of the site. Everyone here knows the rules and yet people still break them, thus the reason for moderation. So with that in mind do you really think that an individual choosing to break the rules is going to understand or agree with the moderation they receive? Highly unlikely.

Although you thumbs downed my first post above, go back, re read it and you won't ever have to worry about a moderator interfering with your enjoyment of pinside.

#11 4 years ago

I'm going to echo what Xerico said. People can get very nasty to moderators. You may not see it, but moderators have had personal information put out there, threats issues against them...

As has been recommended, if you disagree with a moderation, post in the moderator forum, as you have done. The moderator team will discuss the call with you as a team. There is just no need or reason for a single moderator to be singled out. That almost always turns into a pissing match between two people and gets nowhere constructively.

The moderator feedback forum is there to get a discussion going with members of the team. The moderators speak as a team. Not to be singled out. It is as much for our own protection as anything else.

Again, you may not believe it, but people go to extraordinary lengths to track down mods that they don't agree with and take it to a very personal degree.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for posting a feature request.

I have thought of that idea some time ago, but decided against it. I don't want people piling up on one moderator just because it's his/her name under a moderation notice. I don't want moderators getting harassed via PM or whatnot by angry people who had their post moderated. That's not what I want for the people who volunteer their time to help run this site.

What's more, in many cases a moderation is first discussed amongst the moderators (there is a lot of communication between moderators, behind the scenes). Sometimes we even have a vote on what to do about a post or a thread or a situation etc.

If you disagree with moderation, open a moderator feedback thread. I monitor these threads and will chime in if I feel the need. Often times the moderator who actually moderated your post will step forward and explain.

But sometimes it's also a good idea to just take a step back and look at what you're posting. Does it comply with Pinside's rules? Because effectively that's all the moderators do: they help me with enforcing the site's rules.

#13 4 years ago

Regarding the deletion of Rai's chick-pic from Jpop meltdown thread... perhaps there can be a more formal declaration of "thread lockdown" when mods decide no more OT stuff in a particular discussion? Tough to gauge the rules when OT pics are welcomed and enjoyed in one thread but nuked in another. Need consistency.

#14 4 years ago

I'm 11 years here and this is my first thread ejection for posting one picture of Kate Upton, no nudity, just a tasteful GQ cover picture.

I think a warning would have been sufficient and maybe a post by the mods saying there is not to be anything OT in that thread.

I have a hard time with how some people are allowed to post an OT pic and but I get an ejection for one pic.

Also, how is posting something OT so horrible, many posts in any given thread are OT.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

Well, I'll give you originality points....

most people misquote/misapply/misunderstand the 1st amendment when complaining about forum rules and moderation.

YOU uniquely misquoted/misapplied/misunderstood an entirely different Amendment.

#16 4 years ago

This is an internet forum about pinball, relax and enjoy.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

The Gov't could not do this to you but this is not the Gov't. This is a private entity that can make and uphold its own rules and regulations just like any club across the country. Some clubs don't allow hats or certain dress, PS has made its rules and you agreed to them. Quit getting banned and you wont have to worry about it.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I'm 11 years here and this is my first thread ejection for posting one tasteful picture of Kate Upton, no nudity, just a tasteful GQ cover picture.

Ha!

Try this one:

I was actually kicked out of the thread who's sole focus was discussion among people who had been kicked out of the SkitB thread!?!?!!?!? Ouch.

Tempted to start a thread "I was kicked out of the kicked-out thread club", but I suspect id be the only member...

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Well, Ill give you originally points....
    most people misquote/misapply/misunderstand the 1st amendment when complaining about forum rules and moderation.
    YOU uniquely misquoted/misapplied/misunderstood and entirely different Amendment.

Ummm ... keep banging your head against that wall there. It might help. Although it obviously applies to criminal defense in particular, the 6th amendment does state " ... and the right to know who your accusers are" does it not?? How am I misinterpreting that?

#20 4 years ago

The right to face your accuser? On a pinball forum? Are you serious?

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

The Gov't could not do this to you but this is not the Gov't. This is a private entity that can make and uphold its own rules and regulations just like any club across the country. Some clubs don't allow hats or certain dress, PS has made its rules and you agreed to them. Quit getting banned and you wont have to worry about it.

15 minutes earlier ...

Quoted from PinChili:

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I'm 11 years here and this is my first thread ejection for posting one picture of Kate Upton, no nudity, just a tasteful GQ cover picture.
    I think a warning would have been sufficient and maybe a post by the mods saying there is not to be anything OT in that thread.
    I have a hard time with how some people are allowed to post an OT pic and but I get an ejection for one pic.
    Also, how is posting something OT so horrible, many posts in any given thread are OT.

Two points:

1) The mods specifically asked that no chick pics be posted in that thread.

2) Robin's website..... Robin's rules.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

1) The mods specifically asked that no chick pics be posted in that thread.

There's eleven thousand posts in that thread. Easy to miss that request (I definitely never saw it). Need something in the header, or an icon, or some other way to convey such requests.

Just trying to be practical

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

Ummm ... keep banging your head against that wall there. It might help. Although it obviously applies to criminal defense in particular, the 6th amendment does state " ... and the right to know who your accusers are" does it not?? How am I misinterpreting that?

Ah.... where do I start.

Well, first, the bill of rights are ALL specific prohibitions against gov't power. Pnsode is not gov't. case closed.

Not enough for you? Ok, perhaps you might simply READ the 6th amendment you are referring to:

"Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to ......."

STOP!

Hey, you actually just needed to read the first FOUR words to understand the complete irrelevance here.

You're welcome.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

If the user is being legitimately moderated then I don't understand why a moderator would feel threatened by having their username shown as well.

Because they get psyco stalkers...

You have a personal need to get the last word. You will not be allowed to have it in this thread. You are lucky we have allowed you to stay on this site at all.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

Wow, butthurt much?

#27 4 years ago

according to rgp threads the mods will just kick out of the mood feedback threads to. all what's the point?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

You have a personal need to get the last word. You will not be allowed to have it in this thread. You are lucky we have allowed you to stay on this site at all.

WTH are you talking about?? I made a request above for a feature. What are you talking about "need to get the last word" and "will not be allowed to have it in this thread". It's my OWN freaking thread for crying out loud with simply a feature request and you're now going off on me for what? Buzz off.

#29 4 years ago

Thread locked in 3......2......1......

#30 4 years ago

My only beef with moderation is that they sometimes post snarky comments and/or assumtions bordering personal attacks themselves in the remarks.

If you're gonna boot or mod someone for being an asshole, don't be one yourself.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcollector:

according to rgp threads the mods will just kick out of the mood feedback threads to. all what's the point?

I can't translate this. Can someone help me out?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

My only beef with moderation is that they sometimes post snarky comments and/or assumtions bordering personal attacks themselves in the remarks.

Yep, eliminating this would also cut down on the psycho revenge factor the mods seem to have to deal with these days...

Perhaps only allow the mods to publicly state the rule that was violated, and leave the color commentary for only the moderated person to see?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

WTH are you talking about?? I made a request above for a feature. What are you talking about "need to get the last word" and "will not be allowed to have it in this thread". It's my OWN freaking thread for crying out loud with simply a feature request and you're now going off on me for what? Buzz off.

Yes, a request for a feature in a thinly veiled attack on moderation. You have one of the longest moderator feedback threads we have ever had, and you know it. You have raised this issue there, didn't like the answer and now raised it publicly.

That is why you have been booted from your own thread here.

#34 4 years ago

Stupid question.

How do you open a "moderation feedback thread"?

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

Agree....but I think it is a super-rare occurrence.

I did this once. Was having a bad day, and thought I was being "funny."

I apologize....seriously. It's a super-rare occurrence, and unfortunately, I'm not always perfect. It's also a perfect reason why the Mod Feedback forum exists....it's a good place to talk things out and discuss.

It's an odd transition when you become a mod...everything you say is under an enormous microscope....like never before. When I was a "normal" user and said something stupid, that was the end of it. Now, everyone wants to pull apart every little thing you say and try to prove that you are an evil overlord.

Pete

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

If thread ejects are going to be issued for posting something "off topic", half the posts on Pinside will involve a thread eject.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Translation:
    There are folks over on RGP who claim that the Pinside moderators will kick complaining users out of the moderator feedback threads also. Since that must be true, there is no point in starting a moderator feedback thread.

Disclaimer: No idea if that's true or not, but that's what he's attempting to say. I think.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Stupid question.

Start a new thread like normal, but select the mod feedback board and it'll auto-hide it from everyone but the mods.

#39 4 years ago

IBL

#40 4 years ago

Your ideas are good, I think you could have worded it better.

Quoted from PinChili:

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Stupid question.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/moderator-feedback

You can start one using the link above.

Marcus

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinChili:

Pinside is not based in the USA

Plus the mods are pretty fair. They give you a chance first to correct your post or apologise. They aren't really that trigger happy, you usually have to do something really bad or disrespectful to get a warning or eject. That's been my experience with it anyway.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Agree....but I think it is a super-rare occurrence.
    I did this once. Was having a bad day, and thought I was being "funny."
    I apologize....seriously. It's a super-rare occurrence, and unfortunately, I'm not always perfect. It's also a perfect reason why the Mod Feedback forum exists....it's a good place to talk things out and discuss.
    It's an odd transition when you become a mod...everything you say is under an enormous microscope....like never before. When I was a "normal" user and said something stupid, that was the end of it. Now, everyone wants to pull apart every little thing you say and try to prove that you are an evil overlord.
    Pete

I have seen several mods do this, but the point of my post was not to call out or single any one out. The point is, if you do not allow people to criticize mods in public forum, do not let mods criticize them in public forum. You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration by just ejecting them for "rules violation" and moving on. The color commentary just tends to keep the offending issue around longer.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Now, everyone wants to pull apart every little thing you say and try to prove that you are an evil overlord.

No, sometimes the comments (not just from you) make the mods appear to be acting as evil overlords.

Jokes among peers are great. Jokes from those who have the power to censor the person they're joking about aren't so good.

There is never anything funny about kicking someone out of a discussion against their will.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Translation:
    There are folks over on RGP who claim that the Pinside moderators will kick complaining users out of the moderator feedback threads also. Since that must be true, there is no point in starting a moderator feedback thread.
    Disclaimer: No idea if that's true or not, but that's what he's attempting to say. I think.

Okay...whew! Thanks for the info!

Okay, in the history of the Mod Feedback forum...there are around 200 threads, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 posts.

Only once did someone get ejected from a Mod Feedback thread...(he was really, really pushing the buttons of a mod, who had enough). The rest of us disagreed with the move, we all talked it out, and the eject was lifted within half an hour.

So, good to see that hit RGP as something that we "always do."

Pete

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

rules.gif

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Okay...whew! Thanks for the info!
    Okay, in the history of the Mod Feedback forum...there are around 200 posts, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 posts.
    Only once did someone get ejected from a Mod Feedback thread...(he was really, really pushing the buttons of a mod, who had enough). The rest of us disagreed with the move, we all talked it out, and the eject was lifted within half an hour.
    So, good to see that hit RGP as something that we "always do."
    Pete

phone autocorrect, the "translation" was correct. and the eject removal is bs.

#48 4 years ago

Stop acting a fool and it won't be a problem. But I do think the moderation here is sometimes a little heavy handed.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

If you're gonna boot or mod someone for being an asshole, don't be one yourself.

I agree with this. Less snarky atacks and more "to the point" comment for the moderation would be more levelheaded approach.

I have also seen examples where mods will edit out the nasty words of a personal attack but then still leave the content of the attack. i.e. Someone had a somewhat amusing personal attack rant on me and it got edited down so eveyone could just play madlibs but left the personal nature...
    "Whysnow is a Bleeping Bleeping ..." You get the idea.

This sends a message of "I am modding this post but having fun with how I do it as I enjoy the personal attack also wink wink".

Just edit out the whole post for personal attack and remove the content. That is standard practice on almost all other moderated forums I visit.

#50 4 years ago

Aw, shit. Now I've agreed with Whysnow. Can I get a thread eject now? Mods?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 219.99
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Special When Lit
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 268 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside