images (resized).jpg
JIM_5301 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20170422_114314 (resized).jpg
IMG_2953 (resized).jpg
IMG_2949 (resized).jpg
img_2946 (resized).jpg
img_2941_tonemapped (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

About a year and a half ago I chainsawed my HO layout to make room for a more serious arcade. My plan has always been to take what I learned from that layout and build a much better one.

What I love about model railroading is that there are always about two or three thousand projects of varying size that you can jump into whenever you have the right amount of time and energy: Tuning up a boxcar can take 15 minutes, and building the benchwork for your extension can take a couple of days. Same with expense. You can use the free dirt from your yard, or you can invest a couple thousand in brass locomotives.

I always loved building with "unofficial" materials, like the cheap gravel from the fish section of the pet store, or making mountains out of foam insulation. It's a very relaxing hobby with a lot of different paths to take. The only part I wasn't too keen on was that there didn't seem to be too many younger folks getting into it. There were a few here and there, but I am afraid there might not be much future to it in another generation or two.

Also, I found this odd: A lot of model railroaders seem to be named "Don". Strikingly more than I generally run into in regular life. I have no explanation for that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/model-railroading?tu=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.