Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmbjunky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

It occurred to me yesterday that out of my collection of 25 pins, only 4 have what I would call [EDIT:] Story Modes. I define Story Modes to mean "a linear progression of prescribed shots with a story line, usually with a dedicated playfield insert or indicator". LOTR, RFM, JM and Dirty Harry have lots of Story Modes. Metallica, IM, Congo and POTC don't, or they only have a few. And of course all of my older pins are completely mode-less. It's hard to tell a story without a DMD.

I've noticed that I spend a lot more time on games with few or no Story Modes. The games I like, people tend to call "shallow" (like IM). But the way I look at it, these games go "wide" instead of deep. At any moment, there are many different strategies in front of you. The joy of playing these games is to learn all of these strategies, and see which one works best.

What's the future of pinball? Is it deep storytelling via modes (like ST and LOTR), or is it "wide" games like IM and GOT? Do you prefer one style over the other?

#2 7 years ago

I prefer games with a mix of both - modes that advance you to a final wizard mode and modes that you can just play for fun and points. Family Guy and The Shadow are good examples of this.

#3 7 years ago

While I'm at it, I'll mention what I think makes a good modal pin. The reason LOTR works so well is that all of the modes are very different (thanks to Keefer). I never get that "lather, rinse, repeat" feeling when I'm playing LOTR. RFM is the opposite: most of the modes use the same shots (ramps and orbits). I still love RFM, but it would have been better to have more shot variety.

#4 7 years ago

CFTBL is modeless. Bunch of things to do, but basically just progressing towards multi ball to find creature, rescue the girl, claim the jackpot, then super jackpot while playing 11,302 hurry ups along the way.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

CFTBL is modeless. Bunch of things to do, but basically just progressing towards multi ball to find creature, rescue the girl, claim the jackpot, then super jackpot while playing 11,302 hurry ups along the way.

By his definition of "mode" I guess. I would define "mode" as a timed higher-scoring sequence than the affiliated shots would normally be. So the slide and Kiss wouldn't be modes, but Snack Bar and Move Your Car would be.

Something like that, anyway

#6 7 years ago

I think of "Mode" games being like Addam's Family: scoring across the play field is balanced until a mode starts and then, for a short time, scoring increases on one feature (pops, ramps, etc.). Finish all the modes to play a "wizard mode" with extra-special scoring.

A "Sequence" game is more like CFTBL or BOP: achieve a list of simple goals (spell "FILM", advance the Bride's face) to advance to a special feature like a multiball.

A true "Story" game like TOTAN has a cast of interesting characters, different settings and gameplay that advances a storyline towards a climactic event like a "boss level" (genie battle, outer space adventure, catch the murderer). It may be broken up into different "missions," but it's all in service to a narrative. Story games are the rarest and are my favorite - I find them so much more engaging.

#7 7 years ago

I've always considered "modes" to be something that changes the rules and the scoring of the table within the game. To me, a modeless game is something that has "global rules" that advance the score, and these rules are ever present, and never change.

So, even a game like Creature with "Mega Menu" I'd consider a game with modes (even though it only effects a few targets).

But a game like Black Knight, or Centaur or Firepower are all modeless, since the table scoring and rules are always consistent. IIRC, Gottlieb actually "invented" modes with Lights Camera Action, and then Class of 1812.

I've basically considered just about every game in the DMD era as a game with modes. Thoughts?

#8 7 years ago

I guess it's a question of degree - there's a spectrum between "Mode-less" and "Modal". When I did the Mind Map for Congo, I discovered a few modes, like Skill Fire, Ghost Tribe and Amy Good Gorilla. But these are not essential to playing the game - they aren't required to reach the wizard mode.

IM is probably the least Modal game I own. The only real mode is Bogey scoring. And yet, it's my go-to game.

#9 7 years ago

I think Whirlwind is kind of a mode game, but nothing I own earlier than that is. I don't need no stinking modes! High score is all that matters to me.

#10 7 years ago

I agree the definition of "Mode" is open to interpretation. I'm really talking about the subset of modes I'd call "Story Modes". These modes say "Hey, I'm going to tell you a story now. When we get to the end, something cool will happen." So modes like "And Justice for All" in MET are not what I'm talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

I love playing Story Modes on games that I don't own. I tend to get sick of them on games that I do own, unless they feel "different".

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

These modes say "Hey, I'm going to tell you a story now. When we get to the end, something cool will happen."

To me that sounds more like a video game than a pinball game.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes! Pinball gameplay with a videogame mindset. I grew up on Donkey Kong and Super Mario, so achieving levels is appealing to me.

I also enjoy wedgeheads, which have a similar objective - complete the sequence to light the Special (which is sort of like a wizard mode).

#13 7 years ago

Fish Tales, I love this pin. It only has one "mode." Its a video mode, and super fun.

#14 7 years ago
#15 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's just what storytelling is about - a sequence of interesting things leading to one big thing that ties it all together.

#16 7 years ago

Maybe we can change the conversation to "what makes a great story mode?"

Great dots and callouts, varied shots (within the same game), and a satisfying reward (like "RELEASE OUR RIVER"..."Gift of the Elves!").

#17 7 years ago

2 favorite modes that come to mind:

TZ - Fast lock(mode/hurry up/hybrid?)

FGY - Ipecac

Each have a beginning a middle and an end(makes for a good mode). Love the quips and sounds of both too.

Dad, I'm scared...

#18 7 years ago

I love modes. I think it's a great mechanism in the gameplay in addition to other achievements.
Looking at my collection, JD Shadow and ToM all have great modes in addition to other cool elements of gameplay.

On the contrary - Congo is pretty mode-less and BSD is a beast of it's own. It's a cool difference in gameplay and strategy that contrasts mode driven games.

Is one better than the other? Hardly. Do I like both? Absolutely.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

That's just what storytelling is about - a sequence of interesting things leading to one big thing that ties it all together.

To me that is NOT what pinball is all about. Unless you are talking about getting to a free game.

Fairy tales maybe, pinball not so much.

#20 7 years ago

"Turn on the STIFF-O-METER!!!"

#21 7 years ago

BSD feels like the last of the games with no modes. The games released after were JP, TZ, IJ, LAH. They all seem very heavily mode based.

I was surprised with how simple the rules on BSD were. It feels like a throwback to early SS games but with a couple of ramps and added personality from the DMD and sounds.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 49.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mode-less-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.