3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

scoring_card (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I just though I'd ask a question, many of us mod the game to make the play better, an extra rubber to avoid STDM or other issues, different ball guides, etc.

I've really be resisting doing that because when I go to play a game on location I want to know I can play it just as well as my machine back home... am I the only one that thinks like this?

Have a great Easter,

Neil.

#2 3 years ago

I am with you.

I don't believe in Dumbing down any pinball game. It's a big NAY NAY if you ask me.

#3 3 years ago

What fun is a machine that doesn't play good?

...and beyond a fun hobby, if a machine on location doesn't play well and isn't fun - it doesn't make money!

#4 3 years ago

For me I could care less about showboating in public man my pin is tastefully modded for me to hop on at any time and have a killer game like a old baseball mitt lol. But there's some mods that are just stupid like the sdtm post...thats just cheating lol

#5 3 years ago

I blocked off the gap between the flippers and both outlanes on all my machines. Man can I ever rack up the scores now!!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I blocked off the gap between the flippers and both outlanes on all my machines. Man can I ever rack up the scores now!!

You jest but I bought a LOTR a couple years back and the guy had tie wraps across the outlanes, didn't have them between the flippers because I guess there was not place to connect them, in essence it's merely giving us non-pro players a "handicap", no different than golf.

#7 3 years ago

Do you remove the Tilt too? I get more satisfaction out of playing the game the way it was intended. Just might as well take the glass off and guide the ball where you want it. Can't develop any skills that way.

#8 3 years ago

I don't even like changing the default software settings.

#9 3 years ago

I think minor tweaks to smooth out the game play and fix issues so it plays as it should is good. I don't move posts/add rubbers to make game play easier. Changing game settings is OK depending on what you do. I don't make it easy to get a bunch of extra balls or change from 3 to 5 ball play. But I make it fun. An example is what I have changed on Kiss. I set the extra ball to 1 lit instrument. You still have to get 23 more for a second extra ball. I changed the grid to 1 completion to get HOF multi ball. And lit instruments carry over from ball to ball. These minor adjustments still keep gameplay pretty close to stock as far as overall rules go but makes it fun for me at home.

As far as mods that do nothing for game play......each to their own. I have a few tasteful mods such as speaker light kits but I am not into gluing every little nick knack possible on my games.

#10 3 years ago

One of the big reasons I like owning pins is I can set them up how I like it. Pins on location are often not working 100% and not setup well where you get cheap drains. Games that just play hard with quick drains are just not fun in the home environment. I see no harm in narrowing the outlanes, adjusting the pitch, and changes to settings to make modes easier or more extra balls. It's still fun to play the same game on location. All games play a little different anyways.

#11 3 years ago

Yeah nothing worse than a duff location pin.

#12 3 years ago

I guess the games come with difficulty settings (easy to hard) and movable outlane posts from the factory so they are designed to be changed to suit different tastes/ abilities. I see no shame in setting it up so you like it.

#13 3 years ago

I would say that if you are a competition player and your pins are for the purpose of getting better and preparing you for competition, then by all means keep them as original as possible with appropriate difficulty setup to simulate "real-world" game play. If you are a hobbyist/enthusiast likes me who simply plays for recreation and likes having non-pinhead friends over to play, then by all means mod away and adjust the pin to be more forgiving.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

or change from 3 to 5 ball play.

5 ball play was the way God intended pinball to be, if you're more than 40 years old.

scoring_card (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    T-shirt- Grey Color Out of stock
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 14.00
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside