20190525_143600 (resized).jpg
70B48D62-A023-4976-B02A-719FF43F0977 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 1.56.23 AM (resized).png
music (resized).png
ramp (resized).png
pattern1 (resized).png
files (resized).png
JJP_install_complete (resized).png
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

I took the header and footer from a PNG file and inserted them into fb_twitter_web.png. Unsurprisingly, this didn't work. The file is entirely encrypted and not large enough to contain unencrypted data. I did, however, recover this WAV file of the JJP logo as promised using a header and no footer (WAV files do not typically have footers).

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8kaplopedqw117o/JJPlogo.wav/file

Next I'm going to extract a couple of large PNGs from the Dialed In ISO and try to recover most of the data. By the way Patrickkrebs, where you did find the "installation complete" PNG file you posted?

#52 4 years ago

Wrong thread

4 months later
#53 4 years ago

so... any headway with this?

2 months later
#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It’s possible with WOZ (I and others have done it). Various videos are stored in FLV format, the audio is stored in uncompressed WAV PCM format at 44100Hz. And I believe images are in PNG format. The file hierarchy should be viewable, the files themselves are just encrypted.

Hi Crash,
Can you tell me where you got .zip file for WOZ?
I tried to find it http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/install-delta/, without success

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

Hi Crash,
Can you tell me where you got .zip file for WOZ?
I tried to find it http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/install-delta/, without success

I got it from that page. Looks like it's no longer available as the code may be considered complete at this point. Only full installs may be available now.

#56 4 years ago

Since it's no longer on site, can you try to upload your WOZ .zip file on some site where somebody can download files such MEGA or SendSpace, so I can download it too and view its sounds?
Thanks in advance

#57 4 years ago

I don't believe I have it any longer. Plus, the files are encrypted.

#58 4 years ago

It's okay

#59 4 years ago

So it sounds like this is completely impossible ?

#60 3 years ago

Pretty much impossible as everything is encrypted.

Would be nice if someone can capture the usb connection to the driver board so MPF could be used for jjp machines..
Then new rules can be written..

#61 3 years ago

Someone should post a challenge on some
Hacking forums lol. $1000 to the person that gets access.

Quoted from aeneas:

Pretty much impossible as everything is encrypted.
Would be nice if someone can capture the usb connection to the driver board so MPF could be used for jjp machines..
Then new rules can be written..

1 week later
#62 3 years ago

Wish someone would hack the woz software and crank up the gi from 30% to 100% for gods sake.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Wish someone would hack the woz software and crank up the gi from 30% to 100% for gods sake.

Has anyone submitted that to JJP for a change? I think something like this should be standard on games since everyone keeps their game rooms at differing ambient light levels, and you should be able to tune this without having to buy pinstadiums or similar.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Has anyone submitted that to JJP for a change? I think something like this should be standard on games since everyone keeps their game rooms at differing ambient light levels, and you should be able to tune this without having to buy pinstadiums or similar.

Can you not change the GI level on WOZ? I am fairly sure I could on TH and POTC

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can you not change the GI level on WOZ? I am fairly sure I could on TH and POTC

Which game TH stands for?

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan2000:

Which game TH stands for?

#the-hobbit

#67 3 years ago

Thank you for telling me!

3 months later
#68 3 years ago

Any more progress made towards cracking the code to get into the game for asset changes?

2 months later
#69 3 years ago

Just noticed this thread. Is there anyone who's working on this? Love my pirates and though the music jjp used is great it's such a shame that they didn't get the license for the original soundtrack. Hope someone can make this happen!

#70 3 years ago

Not in this lifetime

2 months later
#71 3 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

Not in this lifetime

Exactly. What are the odds that Guns N' Roses is any easier?

2 weeks later
#72 3 years ago

Is this still being worked on?

3 months later
#73 2 years ago

Bump. We are trying.... we are now in a fase to alter some small assets (image only at this point) .. a (programmer I know who works on cars) found out you need to change things in the install file combine the 4/5 SDA flies as an image and then unpack them and replace things with the exact same name . When you do an install it will write things to the new image
The key also holds the hex to tell the HDD what type of game you have. If you install a CE machine and change the dongle from an LE it will load the LE assets from the game
Only thing that the key does is before the loading screen it does a handschake to check for the dongle then the hdd gets onlocked and the assets are loaded.
Maybe we need to hot swap the hdd when the dongle kicked in but my friend who works on this is busy with work now . So I hope some other people can dig in to this!
We are working on it . Any other hackers here that can do better?

I have a small video clip how the install now starts with altered pic also on the boot of the game will upload later
9227A57F-459F-4597-8E3F-A21B63EEC8EC (resized).png9227A57F-459F-4597-8E3F-A21B63EEC8EC (resized).png

#74 2 years ago

Interesting stuff here good work!

Quoted from AMSNL:

Bump. We are trying.... we are now in a fase to alter some small assets .. we found out you need to change things in the install file and replace things with the exact same name . When you do an install it will write things to the new image
The key also holds the hex to tell the HDD what type of game you have. If you install a CE machine and change the dongle from an LE it will load the LE assets from the game
I’m working on it . Any other hackers here that can do better?[quoted image]

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Bump. We are trying.... we are now in a fase to alter some small assets (image only at this point) .. we found out you need to change things in the install file and replace things with the exact same name . When you do an install it will write things to the new image

Only thing that the key does is before the loading screen it does a handschake to check for the dongle then the hdd gets onlocked and the assets are loaded.

Maybe we need to hot swap the hdd when the dongle kicked in but my friend who works on this is busy with work now . So I hope some other people can dig in to this!

We are working on it . Any other hackers here that can do better?[quoted image]

#76 2 years ago

Fascinating! I had tried for months to inject replacement files into an Update file, but it was always blocked when the install hash wasn't matching due. This is promising! I want the damn theme in the game! LOL

#78 2 years ago

Boy would I go for a Gravity Falls theme...

#79 2 years ago

Haha, that would be awesome, but not going to hold my breath on that one.

Besides, with Rick & Morty it's sort of already been done.

#80 2 years ago

I wanted a copy of the poster of the GNR show I went to.

Seeing how small the images were in the game, I was thinking they probably weren’t high enough resolution to send to a printer anyway.

But I loaded up Linux on a VM, mounted the image, found the posters, and sure enough everything was encrypted.

Bummer, it would have been fun to have a copy of it. I looked at eBay and shops but couldn’t find one for sale. Also, judging by the file size, the file was to small anyway.

2 months later
#81 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Bump. We are trying.... we are now in a fase to alter some small assets (image only at this point) .. a (programmer I know who works on cars) found out you need to change things in the install file combine the 4/5 SDA flies as an image and then unpack them and replace things with the exact same name . When you do an install it will write things to the new image
We are working on it . Any other hackers here that can do better?
I have a small video clip how the install now starts with altered pic also on the boot of the game will upload later
[quoted image]

I've checked it out too, and few things to know :
- gamecode is striped (normal) and seems to be protected in some way to decompilation. Thus, modifying the game to do something like "I have a PNG/FLV header in the file => read it directly else use the dongle" doesn't seem to be possible.
- gamecode is tied to the sentinel dongle LDK and look for debuggers. If you run the gamecode with a debugger, you'll be blocked.

One of my concern about this kind of protection regarding JJP, is that "what if the usb dongle die or the usb port dies ?". You'll get a bricked game... You can't play at all. That's a hell of an issue to me about all theses protection. I don't know if JJP is willing to send another USB key, furthermore if in 10 years, they don't exists anymore.

It's possible to emulate such LDK dongle (using a dump of a real one) and start the dongle as a service, but I don't currently have a POTC in my hand so... Can't do But that what i'll do as soon as I get one : dump the key.

At last but not least, maybe we should consider doing what your friend is saying : modify the asset AFTER the unlock. But one thing I didn't managed to understand : is the dongle key decrypt on the fly or is the dongle key decrypt once for all, and if so in memory ?

#82 2 years ago

The dongle is not tied to the hdd or motherboard. It only does a dongle check on boot loading image . If you remove the dongle when the game is booted you can play as long as you want. You can use any dongle from any matching game . You can order a new dongle @jjp

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

The dongle is not tied to the hdd or motherboard. It only does a dongle check on boot loading image . If you remove the dongle when the game is booted you can play as long as you want. You can use any dongle from any matching game . You can order a new dongle @jjp

Ok thanks for infos.
So that smells bad : everything is loaded and decyphered in memory at boot/launch of the gamecode since the dongle is not used anymore after bootup.
I’ve seen references for each assets in the gamecode, so we need to be able to “replace” in memory each assets, which is hard at the moment because of the protection of ldk in the gamecode.

I keep digging but kind of hard for me to do without the pinball :p (looking for one btw :p)

#84 2 years ago

Did anyone try hot swapping the hdd after the dongle check?

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

rest I can t say. Just do whatever you think should work

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from drgary:

You can try but I don’t think it’ll work. The system might crash or since everything is loaded in memory, this won’t do anything.

#87 2 years ago

It does work to unlock some clusters but it won’t get far as indeed most is loaded upon start

8 months later
#88 1 year ago

Any update or progress on this?
Thanks in advance!

1 month later
#89 1 year ago
Quoted from FourFlippers:

Any update or progress on this?
Thanks in advance!

Im afraid not

#90 1 year ago

Anything is possible, but I wouldn't recommended it. Jack is obviously fiercely protective of his games and all their assets. Leave well alone.

#91 1 year ago

Just learned from this thread that JJP games are protected with Sentinel Dongle.

I understand JJP does not want their customers to customize their own pinball. They need to protect IPs and some other intellectual work. This is their right.

However, how could we ensure a JJP pinball could be repaired in 10 or 20 years in future? It will be almost impossible to find the same motherboard/cpu. It will be impossible to find a Sentinel Dongle for JJP games etc.

#92 1 year ago
Quoted from julien_06480:

However, how could we ensure a JJP pinball could be repaired in 10 or 20 years in future? It will be almost impossible to find the same motherboard/cpu. It will be impossible to find a Sentinel Dongle for JJP games etc.

You can’t and if that Sentinel security system isn’t total trash, you are SOL when that dongle breaks and is not available anymore.

But I wouldn’t worry too much. It’ll likely outlive all of us.

#93 1 year ago

Just learned from this thread that JJP games are protected with Sentinel Dongle.
I understand JJP does not want their customers to customize their own pinball. They need to protect IPs and some other intellectual work. This is their right.

Someone from JJP said in the past here that their machines aren't linked to a specific motherboard/cpu (like we have with pin2k).
Any pc should work.

If JJP goes out of business then there may be a problem if your dongle or something else breaks. Let's hope one of the programmers involved may share a solution a then..

The same issue exists with Stern. What if your spike2 game breaks in 20 years from now..

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Jack is obviously fiercely protective of his games and all their assets. Leave well alone.

TBH, more me than Jack, probably.

It will be almost impossible to find the same motherboard/cpu.

Pretty much is now. However, we test every game on each motherboard we release. Anything we release mobo/cpu-wise should run any of our games (form factor notwithstanding). We also certify Linux versions to old motherboards, so there shouldn't ever be a combination that leaves you in a lurch. We had the future in mind when we shipped 64-bit from day 1.

Honestly, without guaranteeing anything, most Intel-based mobos/chipsets with onboard graphics should work fine. We typically ship on as low as Celerons, but that will vary due to supply issues. I wouldn't get your hopes up on Atoms, but Celeron/Pentium/ix should be fine.

It will be impossible to find a Sentinel Dongle for JJP games etc.

I'd like to think if anything ever happened we'd release unprotected versions (I obviously cannot promise this). But for now we are capable of supporting all of our games.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Someone from JJP said in the past here that their machines aren't linked to a specific motherboard/cpu (like we have with pin2k).
Any pc should work.

Not really. As the JJP software is provided as a full disk image, the image contains JJP software (of course) but also the underlying operating system and drivers. Restore disk image on a completely different system (motherboard, chipset, graphics, ...) and your pc won't boot.

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Any pc should work.

Well, it might technically be true that they aren't using any motherboard specific features, any change to motherboard would require updates to the Linux build for drivers. As has been noted here, the system is secured pretty well so updating the linux image is highly unlikely...

If you recall, the same thing happened with Nucore when the version of Linux they were using became obsolete and you couldn't pull drivers for that build for current motherboards. That's when Pinbox came about since you needed to do quite a bit to update the system... and there WASN'T a sentinel driver involved...

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

It's almost like no one can hear me...

They probably think you don't know what you're talking about

#99 1 year ago

Yeah, WOZ software probably works with latest CPU/MoBo you have certified in JJP labs, but the way you provide the software (disk image) to end user makes impossible for end users to restore on this CPU/MoBo.

#100 1 year ago

We also are thinking into the future when either JJP isn't around or has decided to not support legacy product due to support costs (happens with companies all the time and every company has previously said that will never happen - OR - they simply choose to support it by requiring you to buy a whole new package of tested hardware which can be costly)...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 38.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modding-jjp-software-changing-assets-and-music/page/2?hl=toppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.