Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm bringing a modded Freefall to TPF this year. I had it ready to go (not modded) in 2020, but with the show being cancelled the last two years I've had plenty of time to make some modifications.

I found the game to be mediocre in stock form. It doesn't have great flow. It has a challenging ruleset, but the objectives are difficult to complete and don't provide much value when you do complete them. Multiball is a gimmick. It's achieved mostly through luck, and is often short lived. There is no incentive to get multiball, the rules are the same whether you're playing one ball or three.

I intended, at first, to make a few minor changes:
- Add an option to spot SKY DIVERS letters. I can't tell you how many times a ball was dumped out of the walker into the shooter lane because I hadn't collected all of the letters.
- Prevent balls from relocking during multiball. It never fails that when multiball starts, a ball lands in the freefall kicker and is immediately relocked.
- Add a rule during multiball; playfield multiplier or something similar.

Sounds good on paper, right? And that might have been the case if TPF 2021 had happened. But with another year and a Weebly MPU, I decided to get a little more creative. Here are the new rules:
- Spot SKY DIVERS letters by completing the 5-bank or landing a ball in the freefall kicker
- Completing 5-bank in sequence awards 100K altitude bonus and blinks left standup altitude collect target. Hitting the blinking target spots all SKY DIVERS letters
- Left standup altitude collect also increases altitude
- No relocks during multiball
- During multiball, SKY DIVERS letters blink when collected. Blinking letters score 10x and increase altitude
- Increasing altitude to 125K during multiball lights altitude collect target for jackpot. Hit the target to collect 1.25 million!

All of the original rules are still intact. These additions add balance to the game by giving you incentive to shoot around the table instead of just shooting the center bank.

Special thanks to slochar for his tutorials on the Stern OS and PIGS interpreter. And also for his help disassembling the code.

Fun fact: While disassembling the code I found a spot letter routine in the freefall kicker code. This is a non-documented feature and I didn't even realize it was happening until I noticed that my spot letter routine was actually spotting two letters. It is DIP switch selectable with the 3-ball/5-ball setting. In a 3-ball game, a ball in the freefall kicker will spot the next letter in the right lane. I thought there was a bug because they don't extinguish the lamp on the table, but I think the ROMs were too tight on space and they weren't able to add that routine.

Here's an amateurish video showing the gameplay rules:

#6 2 years ago

Actually I’m the guilty one. It blew the playfield fuse a number of times on Saturday. It had a 1 amp SB in it and I kept replacing with same.

Realized it should’ve been 1.25 amp, but I probably didn’t have any when I first fired this up 2 years ago thinking I’d cross that bridge when I needed to, but it never blew the fuse at home. Anyway, correct fuse fixed the problem.

Sorry it ruined a great game, but I’m glad you enjoyed it!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

This was the best game at the show in my opinion.
Thank you for bringing it!

It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you. Glad you enjoyed it!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Thank you so much for bringing it!
When I go to shows, I specifically look for the hard-to-find games to play. I can play a new Stern any day of the week, but pins like this, the antiques, rare games, and ones I've simply never seen are just the topping on the cake.
I will be looking forward to your quicksilver. I hope you were able to get the cab for it.

Glad I finally got to meet you. You played my other Quicksilver I brought 5 or 6 years ago. The cab was spoken for, but I’ll buy one from him at another show when I’m ready to build it. Gotta let the Mirco clear cure a couple of years first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dothedoo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modded-stern-freefall-coming-to-tpf?tu=dothedoo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.