(Topic ID: 187220)

Mod Removers Club - Getting rid of "mods" one machine at a time.

By lordloss

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 747 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    lotr topppp (resized).jpg
    a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    wow (resized).jpg
    wow2 (resized).jpg
    20201004_175211~2 (resized).jpg
    279163F6-0863-40DF-BA52-76DCB1542570 (resized).jpeg
    95789930_253530822364110_2942522050570354688_n (resized).png
    96793286_10221998797109660_1843812413447602176_n (resized).jpg
    CA (resized).jpg
    part0-9_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    afm (resized).jpg
    B25D935D-86FC-487C-A3CF-8A4B4FB0CF3E (resized).jpeg
    5D132F52-C7F9-40AA-9F9A-B5A5C3FC0FD1 (resized).jpeg
    Anais Facepalm.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 7 years ago

I guess I am really weird.

Some games, I will add Mods, others, I wont.
    Sometimes, I put stuff on, and its gone shortly after, as it doesnt "fit", and the novelty or my idea didnt work.

Yet, to make me happy, Ill often get games, and pull many of the mods, to my taste......

Even LEDs...currently, I think 25% dont have LEDs, and some wont get any.

Ive done stupid shit, and brilliant shit, IMNHO.

I guess I am as fickle on this as possible, and can conclude for myself, that if it makes me happy,
    thats all that matters.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

In my experience, the worst mods I've encountered are always LED related - too bright in the wrong places like the backbox and colored LEDs matching the art of every single plastic are the biggest offenders. Man, nothing else looks more terrible on a game like colorbombed GI and translites. Also ran into just bad quality LEDs that ghost and flicker like crazy.
    Just because a plastic has green artwork on it doesn't mean you put a green LED under it.

Couldnt agree more.

Of course I have my opinion, but when I was in the business, people would often ask, and I would share, and I would receive back pictures of the work done.

I of course respect, everyone that decorates a house with Christmas lights does it differently, as they do their games, but for the most part I agree with this:

Quoted from jar155:

Let's just settle this for good: COLORED BULBS ARE NOT TO BE USED FOR GI.

Sure, I put one green bulb surrounded by 5 white in a Congo leaf area, or find the Shadow looks cool with 2 purple bulbs, mixed with all white, but sometimes pictures received be over the top!

Quoted from jar155:

Any mod that detracts from gameplay is gone immediately on anything I pick up.

For me, this is the #1 rule.

I cant go as far as Levi, but respect he feels no mods at all, but if anything I or another added detracts from the play....I dont want
    it.

Its a tough balance, and we all see it differently.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Adding purple to a pinball's lighting is never good. It's darker than white light and it messes with the artist's original coloring. I have seen a thousand games with purple lighting. It's always bad. No exception.

Quoted from Axl:

What is up with pinball guys and the colour purple?

Its the GI and Spotlight color of choice in some pre-made kits by a single vendor.

#165 6 years ago

Those Games with those colors.....Blasphemy! Off with your heads!!

Im still blinded!!

1 week later
    #172 6 years ago

Putting Mods on my TZ 20 years ago was unique, innovative and fun.

I am still pleased with it, all though I am sure others are not.

As this thread has popped back up, I took a look around the marketplace and Ebay for Pinball
    Mods.

I was shocked...Ill be honest, I didnt realize the state it is in.

Being a cheap Bastard, when I wanted to ad a toy Mod to an Elvis recently bought, I did as I always do, I hunt
    for something right, and "Cheap", and Modify.

I never think to look for a Toy Mod made for a game first.

In seeing the stuff out there, there sure is a lot of over priced Junk!

Holy Shit! Are people buying these?

On the other hand, we do have some hardworking and Talented Pinsiders doing Brilliant work, with
    thought, and effort.

But come on Gluing a $2.00 Toy to an Angle Bracket, and selling for $30...! Yikes!

#185 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

I don't know if it's my glasses or my eyeballs, but the common, cheap, blue LEDs that you see on cheap electronics nowadays are really uncomfortable for me to look at. If I buy so much as a usb charger with a blue led it gets electrical tape over it.
    It's obvious that not everyone shares this phobia, but I can barely look at machines where the general illumination has been replaced with blue LEDs.
    (Even in photographs, where the blue doesn't bother me, I don't understand the point. It just washes out all the playfield colors.)

Not uncommon. The Blue-Red-UV hue is especially hard on the eyes, and more so as we age.

I am a bit concerned about some overuse of Blue Flashers and UV flashers on some peoples eyes, especially over time.
    I think of being temporarily blinded by wrongly used LEDs in flashers or in GI, and what this might do with long term play at home, and say, in the dark.

Keeping the flashers that are closest to the flippers....where we concentrate our eyes, shouldnt be too much brighter than incandescent. I recently played a Xmen, and COBS were used in front, Blue, Automotive or Emergency vehicle, that I had to step away.

You might think its cool now...I hate to think about the kids. You wouldnt have them staring into a cars headlight.

#187 6 years ago

Im almost always using the lighter, Ice Blue, at every chance as a substitute....Much easier on the eyes,
    and when doing water on a Backbox, Ill mix the two.

1 month later
    #203 6 years ago

I had this discussion yesterday.

The position was as the title shows, and their opinion to me was expressed as...."I take off any damn toys and figures people MOD-Add to their game."

My reply was to use Star Wars, as an example. Suppose they put a Toy Death Star, and a toy Storm trooper, but not an X wing and you add that....does it mean if Stern add toys OK, Period? and a 1-2 themed toys taboo?

Interesting.....I found it hypocritical, but maybe thats just me.

#212 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah they're not my cup of tea at all, but very popular now. We're living in a time when people have the ability to buy a game they immediately look to see how many add-ons they can purchase. Personally I think a 300 pound box of flashing blinking lights is enough of a statement but whatever makes people happy

Im a Bi-Modder......I swing both ways!......GhostBusters, at home, is over the top, but I am happy. other games, maybe just new award cards, some lighting, and a glare guard.

2 weeks later
    #253 6 years ago

Do you think if I posted a link to this Mod removers thread in the Star Wars New Mod thread, it would explode?

#271 6 years ago

I have a Judge Dredd Im working on, came loaded with a Premium LED kit.

So sorry, and its not a "business" bias, the kit was horrible, maybe I would agree with 10% of the decisions.
    It wasnt even a 1 type bulb everywhere.....

I hate to do it, but if Im keeping it, Id have to take them all out too...

#273 6 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Yeah, I don't get it either. What part of "mod removers club" don't these guys understand. We don't give a shit what crap you put in your pins. We don't like mods.

Not even one?.....# SAD

#278 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I fail to see how a matchbox car attached to the slingshot plastics adds anything to a pinball machine.

In many cases, I agree, but if the Factory adds it to your NIB just received, do you remove it?

#282 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You're so deep dowen the rabbit hole you don;t even know what's real life and a mod anymore

Sounds like a Political point!

Maybe I dont...I dont know, my first modding was 1971....so 46 years experience.

Its an easy question, and its curiosity.

Try this. Star Wars comes say with an Xwing fighter. Molded just for the game.
    However, a much better looking one, same size, can be bought.
    Replacing one with another is a Mod.....right? So that shouldnt be done?

What if the Pro doesnt have one, is adding this, a toy fighter, when the factory didnt add it, a task, you might not do?

Just wondering if those that dont like mods have a line that doesnt get crossed......

#288 6 years ago

Toppers.....Some, do add to a game...a few.

I have so little..Mostly because they collect dust and dont fit through the doorway)

But they remind me of Toaster covers, oven burner covers, and Comforters on the bed with decorated pillows....
    (I get on my wife, as no one other than us ever goes in the bedroom)

maybe someone has made a Topper for their Topper!?!?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldpinguy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time?tu=oldpinguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.