(Topic ID: 187220)

Mod Removers Club - Getting rid of "mods" one machine at a time.

By lordloss

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 747 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    lotr topppp (resized).jpg
    a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    wow (resized).jpg
    wow2 (resized).jpg
    20201004_175211~2 (resized).jpg
    279163F6-0863-40DF-BA52-76DCB1542570 (resized).jpeg
    95789930_253530822364110_2942522050570354688_n (resized).png
    96793286_10221998797109660_1843812413447602176_n (resized).jpg
    CA (resized).jpg
    part0-9_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    afm (resized).jpg
    B25D935D-86FC-487C-A3CF-8A4B4FB0CF3E (resized).jpeg
    5D132F52-C7F9-40AA-9F9A-B5A5C3FC0FD1 (resized).jpeg
    Anais Facepalm.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider awarner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#216 6 years ago

Since I was one of the first people to help release a MOD (moving Dalek head for Doctor Who), I probably shouldn't be commenting. I like to MOD my games but I ALWAYS make them removable. I don't think the future next owner of my games should have to live with my decisions. Now that said, I ALWAYS remove LEDs whenever I have the chance. I believe they have very limited proper use and should never be used where light shows are affected. I used some in my BOP 2.0 but only under the pop-bumper caps because they are hard to change and are either off or on.

I don't mind new games with LEDs that were designed for them.

Your opinions may vary but thanks for starting this club!

2 weeks later
    #246 6 years ago

I'm really tired of taking out ghastly LEDs. What are people thinking? Dark Blue GI? What's the point - NOT seeing the ball?

Arrrgh!

#260 6 years ago

Ten Years ago (I can't believe it was that long ago), a friend of mine and I released a video called Pins and Vids II and we played on bad mods. This was what we did to Monster Bash...

mod1 (resized).JPGmod1 (resized).JPG
    Mod2 (resized).JPGMod2 (resized).JPG
    mod3 (resized).JPGmod3 (resized).JPG
    mod4 (resized).JPGmod4 (resized).JPG

#270 6 years ago

Funny - People go onto a Mod Remover's thread and show their mods expecting NOT to get bashed? I have removable mods on my TSPP but I'm not showing them here - Doh! Saw the same thing in the incandescent bulb thread with people showing their ghastly LED jobs. Bad place to seek acceptance. Better to post in a game club thread where they will ooh and ahh for you.

Oh, and I won a Gottlieb Waterworld at the past SFGE show in Atlanta. It had super bright LED Mini-Mars flashers in it. I immediately replaced them with 89s and they were still a little bright but not as unbearable. I traded it for a Jokerz and guess what? - Terrible LEDs as well. Whenever I get a game with LEDs, I know I'm going to have to spend time removing them.

#323 6 years ago

I bought an AC/DC premium when they came out. I put the laserriffic train topper on it and a few other mods that PinballLife was selling. The game just didn't do it for me so I sold it. With the mods, I got what I paid for the game without the mods. So I lost money on it. It was probably because I was selling it while you could still buy them new, but I feel like modding a game is for you, not for the person buying the game and you should expect to loose your investment on the mods. I probably should have removed the mods and sold them separately.

#324 6 years ago

This is the Ad Altan was referring to(for historical reference)...

TRON LEGACY PINBALL --- BEAUTIFUL MACHINE --- HUO (Home Use Only) - $7000

condition: like new
    make / manufacturer: Stern

I've decided to sell my HUO TRON Pro to make room for other pins. This machine is immaculate and works 100% without issue. Has all of the must-have mods (over $1500 in mods alone) ... meticulously maintained and kept in a smoke-free, pet-free, child-free home.

Machine only has 587 total balls played and has play-field protector installed so the original surface and clear-coat is in excellent condition with no wear. Cabinet and all artwork is in flawless condition. I prefer not to ship this machine as I would like the potential buyer to be able to see the machine and play it before purchasing.

List of mods and other details below... message me with any other questions.

Full Cointaker LED Kit
    All new rubber as of February 2017
    Blue Dot Matrix Display
    PinBits TRON Ramp multi-color, interactive Illumination Kit (an absolute must have for TRON)
    Flipper Fidelity speaker upgrade with volume adjust (still have original speakers as well)
    Flipper Fidelity animated back glass illumination
    Play-Field protector
    Pop Bumper Dress kit
    Mini Tron Cabinet upgrade
    Illuminated Light Cycles mod
    Interior Side Blade Graphics

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

You'll love this one. Internal mod on a restored SS. NOT approved by the person paying for the game to be restored.
    Was told it was artistic licence. Great if that's what I asked for but I didn't.

Man, what a waste of time. Last game I'd have them restore.

1 week later
    #385 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Maybe try and actually "read" through the thread, yes there are a lot in here that do not mod period! But there are also alot in this thread that do mod but share the #1 rule, that even the non modders share, if your going to mod it has to look factory be at least factory quality.
    TRON Arcade Cab
    TRON Pro Ramp Kit
    WOZ Red Smoke Witch
    JP T-Rex Head
    • ColourDMD
    Are a few of the best mods available from Pinsiders, that can be appreciated by all, even non modders due to the creativity and craftsmanship.
    This thread is mainly talking about how modding has become a joke where 95% of mods these days are 3D printed crap or any random piece of plastic with LEDs stuck inside - both look cheap as shit.
    • LED Twinkies
    • LED Asteroids that look like turds
    • Backbox light kits that wash out art with J Pop skittle/clown puke effects!
    • Nearly everything in the SW mod thread comes under shit!

Like I've said before, If you like to Mod your games, this is the wrong place to post about it. My TSPP has a lot of removable Mods on it and I like it that way. It's not hurting anything and doesn't affect gameplay. Plus they all could be removed by a future owner when I'm dead. There are no LEDs on it because it looks great with standard lighting (as it was intended). I completely agree that MY mods might not be YOUR mods and you should remove them if you don't like them. Sellers should also understand that LEDs and Mods won't boost the price of their games since someone might be spending time to remove them (like LEDs).

#401 6 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO
    LED's are OK surely? as long as it is not like a technicolour yawn.

Fully LEDing a game that didn't come with LEDs is not OK. It's just not.

#407 6 years ago

I coined a code for bad LED jobs (which is all LEDs in machines that didn't come with them) I call it UB-LEDs. It stands for "Unicorn Barf" because it looks like a Unicorn just barfed a bunch of colors onto the playfield that clearly don't belong there. Speaking of that, I had a bad incandescent job that I have to remove. My Bally Strikes and Spares has yellow incandescent bulbs for the GI. What? Doing a playfield swap in that so that's gonna change. Probably change out all of the sockets as well since the originals really work terribly over time.

#412 6 years ago

Hmmm. I started collecting pins in 1997. I made the first pinball related podcast. I worked on Clay's podcast and was in an episode of This Old Pinball. I've made four published DVDs that have sold over 1000 copies and generated money for The Pinball Hall of Fame. I was awarded with a Walter Day trading card for my work in the hobby over the past 22 years. I could go on but I think you get my point that I am fully qualified to coin a phrase...

#414 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

But other than that..... what have you done? Huh?

Well, I have done multiple seminars at pinball shows over the years on the DVD series and pinball restoration. I was the first person to announce publicly the release date for BBB. I have owned over 150 arcade games (154 to be exact). I rescued 57 pins from being put in a dumpster. I won "Best Restoration" for my un-modded Police Force at this year's SFGE. Need anything else?

1 year later
    #666 5 years ago

So do you think the mods help or hurt the value of this game?

I’m thinking hurt. If it was me, I’d mention that all of the original parts are included so you can put it back and don’t have to give your 7 year old nitemares.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider awarner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time?tu=awarner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.