(Topic ID: 187220)

Mod Removers Club - Getting rid of "mods" one machine at a time.

By lordloss

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 747 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    lotr topppp (resized).jpg
    a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    wow (resized).jpg
    wow2 (resized).jpg
    20201004_175211~2 (resized).jpg
    279163F6-0863-40DF-BA52-76DCB1542570 (resized).jpeg
    95789930_253530822364110_2942522050570354688_n (resized).png
    96793286_10221998797109660_1843812413447602176_n (resized).jpg
    CA (resized).jpg
    part0-9_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    afm (resized).jpg
    B25D935D-86FC-487C-A3CF-8A4B4FB0CF3E (resized).jpeg
    5D132F52-C7F9-40AA-9F9A-B5A5C3FC0FD1 (resized).jpeg
    Anais Facepalm.gif
    There are 747 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
    #401 6 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO
    LED's are OK surely? as long as it is not like a technicolour yawn.

Fully LEDing a game that didn't come with LEDs is not OK. It's just not.

#402 6 years ago

I kinda feel about the "winterized" wh2o's the same way i feel about this [cargument] pimped-out Caprice:

Is it interesting to see because it's somewhat different!? Absolutely.

Am i offended by it? Nope.

Would i do it to mine even if it was totally free? Hell no.

e5294e8839ccf701745b9adf597f3cc1 (resized).jpge5294e8839ccf701745b9adf597f3cc1 (resized).jpg

#403 6 years ago

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP. FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY ABOUT PINBALL... STOP:
    ebay.com link: Addams Family Pinball Machine 5 Led Mods Bundle Deal

#404 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP. FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY ABOUT PINBALL... STOP:
    ebay.com link » Addams Family Pinball Machine 5 Led Mods Bundle Deal

I'm deeply offended that Cousin It does not appear to have LEDs in the eyes.

Update: I've included a picture from the eBay item in case it ever goes away. This item was created by "creativemods" and deservers all credit.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 8.39.07 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-10 at 8.39.07 PM (resized).png

#405 6 years ago

What is worse: the fact that someone created that or the fact that a bunch of people probably like it and couldn't buy it fast enough? (I'm guessing based on the fact that people bought the Ghostbusters twinkee!)

#406 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I'm guessing based on the fact that people bought the Ghostbusters twinkee!

People actually brought those!?

#407 6 years ago

I coined a code for bad LED jobs (which is all LEDs in machines that didn't come with them) I call it UB-LEDs. It stands for "Unicorn Barf" because it looks like a Unicorn just barfed a bunch of colors onto the playfield that clearly don't belong there. Speaking of that, I had a bad incandescent job that I have to remove. My Bally Strikes and Spares has yellow incandescent bulbs for the GI. What? Doing a playfield swap in that so that's gonna change. Probably change out all of the sockets as well since the originals really work terribly over time.

#408 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I coined a code for bad LED jobs (which is all LEDs in machines that didn't come with them) I call it UB-LEDs. It stands for "Unicorn Barf" because it looks like a Unicorn just barfed a bunch of colors onto the playfield that clearly don't belong there. Speaking of that, I had a bad incandescent job that I have to remove. My Bally Strikes and Spares has yellow incandescent bulbs for the GI. What? Doing a playfield swap in that so that's gonna change. Probably change out all of the sockets as well since the originals really work terribly over time.

Kindly see rule 8, where you will learn that you cannot "coin phrases" until you are a member for 10 years.

#409 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Fun to read through this thread, although I hold some contradictory views while adhering to others espoused. Especially disagree with a tasteful LED job (color matched inserts, white GI, etc.) Done well, color really livens the pin and overall game experience (e.g. can call better attention to current goal, etc.) However, I've seen plenty of terrible LED jobs. Not everyone possesses the characteristics of understanding how color works, what is complementary, etc. Sort of like doing your own interior design when you don't know the first thing about tones, texture, style, etc. Even with nice high quality stuff, it can still end up looking like barf. However, I don't believe that a house should always stay painted the same color inside and out as what the builder initially chose. Granted, houses and pins are not the same thing, but plenty of room for tasteful upgrades to be made.

Anyway, not the place to attempt to persuade against the topic theme, but still love reading everyone's opinions and banter!

#410 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Kindly see rule 8, where you will learn that you cannot "coin phrases" until you are a member for 10 years.

Idk man, 5 years is plenty long on pinside to coin a phrase.

#411 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Idk man, 5 years is plenty long on pinside to coin a phrase.

Still fun to bust the guys balls

#412 6 years ago

Hmmm. I started collecting pins in 1997. I made the first pinball related podcast. I worked on Clay's podcast and was in an episode of This Old Pinball. I've made four published DVDs that have sold over 1000 copies and generated money for The Pinball Hall of Fame. I was awarded with a Walter Day trading card for my work in the hobby over the past 22 years. I could go on but I think you get my point that I am fully qualified to coin a phrase...

#413 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Hmmm. I started collecting pins in 1997. I made the first pinball related podcast. I worked on Clay's podcast and was in an episode of This Old Pinball. I've made four published DVDs that have sold over 1000 copies and generated money for The Pinball Hall of Fame. I was awarded with a Walter Day trading card for my work in the hobby over the past 22 years. I could go on but I think you get my point that I am fully qualified to coin a phrase...

But other than that..... what have you done? Huh?

#414 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

But other than that..... what have you done? Huh?

Well, I have done multiple seminars at pinball shows over the years on the DVD series and pinball restoration. I was the first person to announce publicly the release date for BBB. I have owned over 150 arcade games (154 to be exact). I rescued 57 pins from being put in a dumpster. I won "Best Restoration" for my un-modded Police Force at this year's SFGE. Need anything else?

#415 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I rescued 57 pins from being put in a dumpster.

That's one big dumpster!

#416 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Well, I have done multiple seminars at pinball shows over the years on the DVD series and pinball restoration. I was the first person to announce publicly the release date for BBB. I have owned over 150 arcade games (154 to be exact). I rescued 57 pins from being put in a dumpster. I won "Best Restoration" for my un-modded Police Force at this year's SFGE. Need anything else?

Can you do the thing where you pat your head at the same time you're rubbing your belly?

#417 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

1997? Psssh rookie.

Love ya Al!

Chris

#418 6 years ago

I work at a retailer and pretty much all mods get removed. If we sell a game and some dollar store mod comes loose, that's a phone call for something that shouldn't be a problem.
    Now every TZ I do gets gumballs [no black - whoever ate a black gumball] but other than that can't think of any others I normally do. I guess LEDs are a mod so we do those on request. Tasteful. No colored GI EVER!!

Like most other reasonable people on here, there are GREAT mods out there. Tron arcade cabinet and ramp lights. Hell even HOOKED pop caps greatly enhance the look of a game. But this dollar store sh!t with leds inserted that run thru and clip on with alligator clips really grinds my gears.

And the price of some of them are jaw dropping. Pinballdecals.com :O

#419 6 years ago

Took this s*** out of my T2...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#420 6 years ago

Pfff... not even the right N-number. Amateurs.

#421 6 years ago

I have to put my 2 cents in here. I think people can customize there game how they see fit. I feel a lot of people have an idea in their head and it does not come out as well as they imagined. If you are talented and have a gift go for it! If you have no sense of fashion or skill then please leave it to the designers at the factory. I have All of my games done but I have never encountered someone who says my games don't look great. Bottom line is not every mod belongs in a game. I have ordered a few and put it on and immediately removed it. People feel once it has been bought and installed it has to stay and force themselves to love it. That is not the case. Look to other machines. Learn from others some mods I feel add a great deal of depth to the game where others miss by a long shot.

But at the end of the day this is just another forum that people can disagree and fight with each other.

Happy Disagreeing everyone!

#422 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I have All of my games done but I have never encountered someone who says my games don't look great.

Two immediate thoughts. (1) This is because you have surrounded yourself with people who think the same way as you OR (2) you have surrounded yourself with people with good social skills who realize there is no value in telling you their opinion (that they don't like it or it's just meh) as it would only serve to hurt your feelings and nothing else.

Quoted from ASOA:

Happy Disagreeing everyone!

I agree!

#423 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Not even a motor for the blades?!?!!??!?!?!?

#424 6 years ago

THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF PINSIDE!

#425 6 years ago
    Quoted from flakeloaf:

Pfff... not even the right N-number. Amateurs.

Exactly, right? That's the first thing I looked for when I saw it in the game....

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#426 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I was awarded with a Walter Day trading card for my work in the hobby

Nobody ever said this hobby had big rewards.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#427 6 years ago

I like external mods.....Toppers, Shooter Rods, ColorDMD, PDI Glass, etc....If tastefully done, not tacky stuff.
    Very very rarely do I mod under the glass

#428 6 years ago

I refer to the use of color LEDs on the PF as the "skittles effect". Looks to me as if someone took a bag of skittles and tossed them on the PF. I HATE COLOR LEDs in the GI. Most PF mods look terrible, in my opinion. I just shopped and remove an entire bag of dollar store "artifacts" from the PF of IJ. I don't know what the person who had this game before me was thinking.

#429 6 years ago

So as soon as Stern adds "mods" like LEDs and toppers, custom rails, etc. it's ok but until then it is crap? I get that Stern will execute in a professional manner (mostly) but some of the things they have done have clearly been based on after market modding. Innovation comes from all over. Thank the stars that some innovation is finally coming back to pinball (despite the retread of toys that they are recycling).

#430 6 years ago

Of course, I have seen a few mods posted on Pinside that I thought were especially ugly but you'll have that.... I'm just not ready to write them all of.

#431 6 years ago

Been seeing a large number of hideous looking Aerosmith mods at the bottom of my browser lately and its getting annoying. At least I haven't seen one in anyones game yet.

Did come across someones game that was resetting. Looked inside... alligator clips here and there and battery corrosion still on the board... at least fix your critical issues before modding folks.

#433 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Another f***ing ugly "mod"...
    ebay.com link » Creature From The Black Lagoon Cftbl Pinball Machine Projector Led Mod Stern

Oh yeah... same maker... I recognize the red poop streaming from its back side like it's laying a big turd right on your game.

#434 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

That piece of sh*t is probably the one sold here in the UK, there is a whole host of sh*t mods coming out of the UK via eBay, 90% of them are a damn embarrassment.

#435 6 years ago

What on God's Earth?

IMG_0932 (resized).JPGIMG_0932 (resized).JPG

#436 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

What on God's Earth?

Wow sh*t the bed, who makes that/where is that available!?

I just saw two horrendous SW mods an LED Vader and LED Emporer just stuck on the ramps, they just look out of place, almost dropped into the playfield and completely out of scale

#437 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Wow sh*t the bed, who makes that/where is that available!?
    I just saw two horrendous SW mods an LED Vader and LED Emporer just stuck on the ramps, they just look out of place, almost dropped into the playfield and completely out of scale

For sale here on pinside lol

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1032-lighted-pinball-mods/01117-aerosmith-as-blue-stripper-led-mod-stern

#438 6 years ago

The dude also
    Has a wierd egg shaped "bomb" with sparkers... and a wies deformed card(?) with jackie on it... all with that red poop wire.

I mean... I'm not sure if he's trying real hard but has no astetic sense or if the whole shop is a elaborate hoax.

To give him the benifit of the doubt... maybe they look great in person but are not photogenic... it just seems that there is no peice of plasic immune from having an LED crammed into it with visible wires and a red twisty tie sticking out of it.

#439 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

The dude also
    Has a wierd egg shaped "bomb" with sparkers... and a wies deformed card(?) with jackie on it... all with that red poop wire.
    I mean... I'm not sure if he's trying real hard but has no astetic sense or if the whole shop is a elaborate hoax.
    To give him the benifit of the doubt... maybe they look great in person but are not photogenic... it just seems that there is no peice of plasic immune from having an LED crammed into it with visible wires and a red twisty tie sticking out of it.

His lighted speaker panels are kinda ok.. . Anyway, let's not condemn him, in the end he's just trying to make a living, but the people who actually buy and install that crap....

#440 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

The dude also

He also has these gems among numerous others. He has some truly awful stuff...

ebay.com link: Star Wars SW Pinball Machine STORM TROOPER LED Mod Stern

Just what you need for your new original trilogy Star Wars Pro...a clone trooper from the prequel trilogy for only $70.

Or a lighted life jacket for White Water for only $70...

ebay.com link: White Water WW Pinball Machine LIFE JACKET LED mod BALLY

Or a fishing bobber for Fish Tales for $50...

ebay.com link: Fish Tales FT Pinball Machine BOBBER LED Mod Williams

#441 6 years ago

If there was ANY doubt this group needs to exist, see above.

#442 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

ebay.com link » White Water Ww Pinball Machine Life Jacket Led Mod Bally

WET WILLIES? Nah this here's WET OILUES. You want the next turnoff.

ebay.com link » Fish Tales Ft Pinball Machine Bobber Led Mod Williams

Dangit I melted the top of this bobber on the side of the boat, now the hook won't go in.
    'Sok man, I got this. Hand me my LED bag.

#443 6 years ago

Someone please tell me it's not true....

pinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_463825-MLB25497575814_042017-F (resized).jpgpinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_463825-MLB25497575814_042017-F (resized).jpg

pinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_295725-MLB25497574735_042017-F (resized).jpgpinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_295725-MLB25497574735_042017-F (resized).jpg

pinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_398725-MLB25497576149_042017-F (resized).jpgpinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_398725-MLB25497576149_042017-F (resized).jpg

pinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_204725-MLB25497575184_042017-F (resized).jpgpinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_204725-MLB25497575184_042017-F (resized).jpg

pinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_351825-MLB25497572876_042017-F (resized).jpgpinball-terminator-2-willians-semi-nova-impecavel-revisada-D_NQ_NP_351825-MLB25497572876_042017-F (resized).jpg

#444 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Looks like someone's come from a galaxy far far far away!

#445 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I give up

IMG_0935 (resized).JPGIMG_0935 (resized).JPG

#446 6 years ago

"I need your clothes, your boots, and your x-wing."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

#447 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

He also has these gems among numerous others. He has some truly awful stuff...
    ebay.com link » Star Wars Sw Pinball Machine Storm Trooper Led Mod Stern
    Just what you need for your new original trilogy Star Wars Pro...a clone trooper from the prequel trilogy for only $70.
    ebay.com link » White Water Ww Pinball Machine Life Jacket Led Mod Bally
    ebay.com link » Fish Tales Ft Pinball Machine Bobber Led Mod Williams

I don't think there is anything he cant/wont put an LED in

#448 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yes it's true... That T2... has a CREDIT DOT!

#449 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yes it's true... That T2... has a CREDIT DOT!

#450 6 years ago

121d44e2441d412a3a9a17f66f19d043b9f54378 (resized).jpg121d44e2441d412a3a9a17f66f19d043b9f54378 (resized).jpg

There are 747 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time/page/9?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.