(Topic ID: 187220)

Mod Removers Club - Getting rid of "mods" one machine at a time.

By lordloss

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    lotr topppp (resized).jpg
    a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    wow (resized).jpg
    wow2 (resized).jpg
    20201004_175211~2 (resized).jpg
    279163F6-0863-40DF-BA52-76DCB1542570 (resized).jpeg
    95789930_253530822364110_2942522050570354688_n (resized).png
    96793286_10221998797109660_1843812413447602176_n (resized).jpg
    CA (resized).jpg
    part0-9_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    afm (resized).jpg
    B25D935D-86FC-487C-A3CF-8A4B4FB0CF3E (resized).jpeg
    5D132F52-C7F9-40AA-9F9A-B5A5C3FC0FD1 (resized).jpeg
    Anais Facepalm.gif

There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.
    #301 6 years ago

WAAAAAAA-WAAAA... you loosers are missing the f~ing point THERE'S ALREADY A BUNCH OF CHEEP CRAP ON PINBALL MACHINES!!!

a68134e6978f88305c7f3fe9caebaeaf--funny-crying-baby-funny-baby-faces (resized).jpga68134e6978f88305c7f3fe9caebaeaf--funny-crying-baby-funny-baby-faces (resized).jpg

#302 6 years ago

Stern...toys literally the exact same crap off Simpsons, South Park carded figures, Pinball 2000 has Star wars Micro collection toys screwed down on the pf there the same exact cheep crap toy stores were selling, Secret Service has a Matchbox car 308 gts screwed to the plastic, Most of the other crap is blow molded shit not even worthy of being a 70's Mc Donald happy meal toy...take it from a toy guy your grasping at straws here this is a stupid thread.

#304 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

.take it from a toy guy your grasping at straws here this is a stupid thread.

This coming from the guy who just posted pics of some shoddy-looking mods he put on his games. Not only do they look out of place, but they cheapen the appearance of the games themselves. High Speed is boring until you glue a couple matchbox cars onto the sling plastics? Have you ever even played the game?

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they're wrong. As another person on this thread noted: you came here looking for approval on your mods, or at very least thought you'd change some people's opinions here. You were wrong, and in fact presented a case that us mod-removers can point directly to and say "see what i mean? *THIS* is what we're talking about!"

If you don't like the club, don't join. But don't sit here and tell us that we're wrong. There are plenty of clubs you can go to that will praise your creativity and mod choices. This is not one of them.

#305 6 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

It *has* to look factory.

This is exactly the point most people in this thread are trying to make, not many are saying don't mod, it just needs to be done with that basic rule in place it has to look factory.

Take the judge dredd deadworld mod for example, it is an absolute must and puts things back in the game that where cut at the factory due to cuts to the BOM.

There is just too many sh*t mods on the market now, where people think they can stick an LED in anything and sell it for a $100

#306 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

...take it from a toy guy your grasping at straws here this is a stupid thread.

True...yest none of the companies put any of the garbage you put on your machines...wonder why?

#307 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I joked in another thread that you could put an LED in crap (literally crap) and someone would buy it on here for $99.95. Then when I saw the Ghostbusters twinkee mod I had proof of my theory.

Yeah that guy is one of the biggest sh*t mod offenders on Pinside.

Light up twinkie
    Light up asteroids (which look like turds)
    Light up keymaster (Rick Moranis) head

I'm waiting for LEDs to get modded with LEDs

#308 6 years ago

Hey, there is a lot of money at play here with da modz, so there is going to be pushback and hurt feelings when anyone questions their value.

To be clear. To each their own! Mod away until your McDonald's toy mods turn to dust, if that's your thing. Hopefully it's an elegant mod that can be removed leaving no trace.

#309 6 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Hey, there is a lot of money at play here with da modz, so there is going to be pushback and hurt feelings when anyone questions their value.
    To be clear. To each their own! Mod away until your McDonald's toy mods turn to dust, if that's your thing. Hopefully it's an elegant mod that can be removed leaving no trace.

I agree with this rationale but it doesn't make it easy to live and let live when you are looking for a game and every local version has $300 of mods to it and the buyer added $1,000 of "value" to the game. POTCs seem to be really guilty of this (or maybe I'm just overly sensitive to the games price already being too high!)

#310 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I agree with this rationale but it doesn't make it easy to live and let live when you are looking for a game and every local version has $300 of mods to it and the buyer added $1,000 of "value" to the game. POTCs seem to be really guilty of this (or maybe I'm just overly sensitive to the games price already being too high!)

I wasn't even aware of many mods for POTC.

The weirpinball ship led cannon mod is one I know of and it's pretty great.

What horrific mods exist for potc?

#311 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

What horrific mods exist for potc?

Undead monkey action figure.

LTG : )

#312 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

This coming from the guy who just posted pics of some shoddy-looking mods he put on his games. Not only do they look out of place, but they cheapen the appearance of the games themselves. High Speed is boring until you glue a couple matchbox cars onto the sling plastics? Have you ever even played the game?
    Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they're wrong. As another person on this thread noted: you came here looking for approval on your mods, or at very least thought you'd change some people's opinions here. You were wrong, and in fact presented a case that us mod-removers can point directly to and say "see what i mean? *THIS* is what we're talking about!"
    If you don't like the club, don't join. But don't sit here and tell us that we're wrong. There are plenty of clubs you can go to that will praise your creativity and mod choices. This is not one of them.

Dude have you even played the game...got bored of it after a few months just like MOST PEOPLE! And for the record they were over $100 new Tyco slot cars moded with non ghosting leds and a 6v motor to spin the Lambo when the shooter lane switch triggered, freplay40's KILLEr clear ramp, stopmlamp recolation and a 3-d printed bezel.

Quoted from TheLaw:

True...yest none of the companies put any of the garbage you put on your machines...wonder why?

Oh you mean like all the NOS playfield toys from OTHER PINBALL MACHINES on my Party Zone?

I got the BEST MOD EVER for this topic how about the cry baby DUMB-DUMB thread haha

3837865507_2f79603bfb (resized).jpg3837865507_2f79603bfb (resized).jpg

#313 6 years ago

I agree with the general sentiment that replacing crap stock toys with nicer variants is the best way to mod. A few nice examples are the Jurassic Park T-Rex and Gate replacement mods, which are indisputably sweet:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1021-tim-s-pinball-mods/00656-jurassic-park-static-gate-mod

I also get that no one wants to pay for mods they're not interested in. But put yourself in the seller's shoes - assuming you weren't in a rush wouldn't you try to sell first factoring in the cost of the mods installed, and see if you can find a like-minded soul who will view your mods as value added instead of a costly abomination? Obviously you're trimming your potential market down substantially, but it only takes one buyer to make a sale. Then, if you can't sell at your asking price, start stripping off mods and reduce the price accordingly.

As a buyer that prefers stock games, you either wait for them to give up and sell the game stripped for less, or if you simply must have it now then buy it mods and all and remove and sell them off yourself. And if the seller's asking way too much for his mods, accept that he'd ask way too much for the base game if that's all he had. The mods may be exacerbating the problem, but they're not the cause of it.

#314 6 years ago

man gets ejected on forum for defending his toy cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buuuahahahah. too funny.

#315 6 years ago

Why on earth would you take toys from other pinball machines and add them to a different machine?!

I had no idea how bad this modding pandemic really was

#316 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Dude have you even played the game...

I've spent lots of time playing High Speed, and it took me a while to get all the nuances in the rules and gameplay down. But once i did, i found it extremely fun and challenging. I always thought it was a good game, but once i took the time to understand the rules better, i understood what made it not just good--but great.

Quoted from gmkalos:

got bored of it after a few months just like MOST PEOPLE!

For real? High Speed is an arcade *classic*. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the majority of the people here think High Speed sucks. Sure, there's always gonna be some people for whom it isn't their cup of tea, but give me a break. The game was a huge success with over 17,000 built! If you don't like it, fine. You don't have to! But adding...

Quoted from gmkalos:

over $100 new Tyco slot cars moded with non ghosting leds and a 6v motor to spin the Lambo when the shooter lane switch triggered, freplay40's KILLEr clear ramp, stopmlamp recolation and a 3-d printed bezel.

...will not make a bad game good. If you didn't find the game fun, perhaps you could have invested that money instead on rebuilding the flippers, pops, slings, etc and getting the game working properly? If you still didn't find it fun after getting it working the way it's supposed to, why keep it? You won't have trouble selling it unless your price is unreasonable.

I mean seriously, who says, "Who wants to play my crappy pinball game that is only cool now that it has a couple little cars under the glass?"

You're never going to convince me that mods make a game better or that they're worth the $$$, and I'm never gonna convince you that mods are often unnecessary, tacky, and make a game worse. I will even admit to liking certain mods, but they are very few.

Good day sir!

#317 6 years ago

#318 6 years ago

Well sh*tty mods hit an all time low today, you really made your point gmkalos

#319 6 years ago

Crappy mods in the no mod thread. That went over well.

#320 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I got the BEST MOD EVER for this topic how about the cry baby DUMB-DUMB thread haha

Not any longer, since you have left this thread.

I didn't get why you are posting baby pics of yourself whining in the first place - we've got that picture of you in our heads anyway when we read your posts.

#321 6 years ago

Just when you thought LED mods couldn't get any worse this little gem pops up!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-star-wars-clubmay-the-force-be-with-you/page/14#post-3887048

Possibly the laziest mod I have seen recently, literally a sticky back LED strip stuck to the back of a $10 model

Could have at least made a 3D printed cover to at least try and disperse the light to look like the Millennium Falcons engine glow.

#322 6 years ago

atlanta.craigslist.org link

$1500 in mods. Actually, all the "must have mods"

#323 6 years ago

I bought an AC/DC premium when they came out. I put the laserriffic train topper on it and a few other mods that PinballLife was selling. The game just didn't do it for me so I sold it. With the mods, I got what I paid for the game without the mods. So I lost money on it. It was probably because I was selling it while you could still buy them new, but I feel like modding a game is for you, not for the person buying the game and you should expect to loose your investment on the mods. I probably should have removed the mods and sold them separately.

#324 6 years ago

This is the Ad Altan was referring to(for historical reference)...

TRON LEGACY PINBALL --- BEAUTIFUL MACHINE --- HUO (Home Use Only) - $7000

condition: like new
    make / manufacturer: Stern

I've decided to sell my HUO TRON Pro to make room for other pins. This machine is immaculate and works 100% without issue. Has all of the must-have mods (over $1500 in mods alone) ... meticulously maintained and kept in a smoke-free, pet-free, child-free home.

Machine only has 587 total balls played and has play-field protector installed so the original surface and clear-coat is in excellent condition with no wear. Cabinet and all artwork is in flawless condition. I prefer not to ship this machine as I would like the potential buyer to be able to see the machine and play it before purchasing.

List of mods and other details below... message me with any other questions.

Full Cointaker LED Kit
    All new rubber as of February 2017
    Blue Dot Matrix Display
    PinBits TRON Ramp multi-color, interactive Illumination Kit (an absolute must have for TRON)
    Flipper Fidelity speaker upgrade with volume adjust (still have original speakers as well)
    Flipper Fidelity animated back glass illumination
    Play-Field protector
    Pop Bumper Dress kit
    Mini Tron Cabinet upgrade
    Illuminated Light Cycles mod
    Interior Side Blade Graphics

#325 6 years ago

All that stuff and no arcade mod?

#326 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

All that stuff and no arcade mod?

There is one shown in the photos and its listed above as cabinet upgrade...

Quoted from awarner:

Mini Tron Cabinet upgrade

#327 6 years ago

I cringed when I saw this "mod" and then I died a little inside when I saw how many he sold

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#328 6 years ago

Check other auctions that's usually good for a few extra laughs with these mod makers on eBay.

#329 6 years ago

Just sharing

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 2.53.34 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-07-30 at 2.53.34 PM (resized).png

#330 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I cringed when I saw this "mod" and then I died a little inside when I saw how many he sold

Tell me about it...

#331 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

THERE'S ALREADY A BUNCH OF CHEEP CRAP ON PINBALL MACHINES!!!

"Look, this Rembrandt already had paint on it..."

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Tell me about it...

I actually think the gorillas look okay on that playfield (assuming they don't block the view of the ball). I hate mods on flippers or slingshot plastics that hide the ball, even if it's just a little bit.

#333 6 years ago

You'll love this one. Internal mod on a restored SS. NOT approved by the person paying for the game to be restored.
    Was told it was artistic licence. Great if that's what I asked for but I didn't.

2014-11-23 10.44.06 (resized).jpg2014-11-23 10.44.06 (resized).jpg

#334 6 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

You'll love this one. Internal mod on a restored SS. NOT approved by the person paying for the game to be restored.
    Was told it was artistic licence. Great if that's what I asked for but I didn't.

Now, this one I like. I wish I could have been there the first time you lifted the playfield.

#335 6 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Man, what a waste of time. Last game I'd have them restore.

#336 6 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

That's great, its hidden away under the playfield and an easy remove. I think its a nice touch.

#337 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

That's great, its hidden away under the playfield and an easy remove. I think its a nice touch.

If by great you mean unnecessary and by nice touch you mean tasteless then I agree.

#338 6 years ago

I hate surprises.... therefore that "artistic license" bull should be definitely prohibited to each and every pinball "restorer"...

#339 6 years ago

One man's artistic license is another man's vandalism, but I think that's an inspired little bonbon. My biggest issue with it is the flammability of whatever that spider web's made of.

#340 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Now, this one I like. I wish I could have been there the first time you lifted the playfield.

hehe.... imagine if he did get scared (literally), and dropped the pf?

#341 6 years ago

In fairness, if someone were that afraid of spiders, would they own a SS ?

#342 6 years ago
    Quoted from flakeloaf:

In fairness, if someone were that afraid of spiders, would they own a SS ?

...or if they lacked a sense of humor.

#343 6 years ago

The completely hidden spider might be a nice touch. Not too much different than leaving a business card or a spare key.

But, I don't think I'd be happy about those fake cob-webs. I feel like I'd be finding strands of that stuff in there for the rest of my life. And if loose fibers eventually caused a switch or contact to fail I'd be REALLY irritated.

Might as well put glitter in there.

EDIT: Or is that web painted_ on? Oh, forget what I said above. A painted web is less stupid, but I can still sympathize with being irritated if you were expecting an authentic restoration.

EDIT2: Thinking about it more, if that's painted on, it's not "less stupid", just stupid in a different way.

#344 6 years ago

Paint someone's machine without asking first?!

#345 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Paint someone's machine without asking first?!

Yeah if that's paint I'd be right fried at the guy

#346 6 years ago

Ugh, gods help us.
    bd69e9b5c212883ecca04823f114db9acfa7782a (resized).jpgbd69e9b5c212883ecca04823f114db9acfa7782a (resized).jpg

#347 6 years ago

Does that plastic turn white after a few years of UV exposure?

#348 6 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Ugh, gods help us.

I literally just laughed that hard my coffee was projected across the room, please tell me that's your TWD and it's a very funny joke

#349 6 years ago

Haven't you guys seem that sucker who turned his TWD into mj's f***ing walking dead thriller or whatever? Talk about bad taste...

#350 6 years ago

Check the barn for kids

There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time/page/7?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.