(Topic ID: 187220)

Mod Removers Club - Getting rid of "mods" one machine at a time.

By lordloss

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 747 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    lotr topppp (resized).jpg
    a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    wow (resized).jpg
    wow2 (resized).jpg
    20201004_175211~2 (resized).jpg
    279163F6-0863-40DF-BA52-76DCB1542570 (resized).jpeg
    95789930_253530822364110_2942522050570354688_n (resized).png
    96793286_10221998797109660_1843812413447602176_n (resized).jpg
    CA (resized).jpg
    part0-9_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    afm (resized).jpg
    B25D935D-86FC-487C-A3CF-8A4B4FB0CF3E (resized).jpeg
    5D132F52-C7F9-40AA-9F9A-B5A5C3FC0FD1 (resized).jpeg
    Anais Facepalm.gif
    There are 747 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
    #251 6 years ago

Any pics of the space turds?

#253 6 years ago

Do you think if I posted a link to this Mod removers thread in the Star Wars New Mod thread, it would explode?

#254 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Do you think if I posted a link to this Mod removers thread in the Star Wars New Mod thread, it would explode?

Get out of here you filthy modder. Go be with your own kind!

#255 6 years ago

Ugh, I'd be embarrassed to show anyone my pin if it had anything resembling that inside it.

#256 6 years ago

I saw these at the antique mall the other day, and instantly thought "Gee, what a quick and easy way to ruin my Stargate!"

IMG_9491 (resized).JPGIMG_9491 (resized).JPG

Thankfully I've never actually seen someone put these on their machine.

#257 6 years ago

I see a Stargate Topper in there somewhere....lol

#258 6 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

I saw these at the antique mall the other day, and instantly thought "Gee, what a quick and easy way to ruin my Stargate!"

Yeah sure but what if... And stay with me here... LEDS!!!

#259 6 years ago

The Star Wars mod thread will give us plenty of examples on horrible mods...

#260 6 years ago

Ten Years ago (I can't believe it was that long ago), a friend of mine and I released a video called Pins and Vids II and we played on bad mods. This was what we did to Monster Bash...

mod1 (resized).JPGmod1 (resized).JPG
    Mod2 (resized).JPGMod2 (resized).JPG
    mod3 (resized).JPGmod3 (resized).JPG
    mod4 (resized).JPGmod4 (resized).JPG

#261 6 years ago

I get what you're saying but I love mods if there done right, for example my Paragon a hand painted metal paragon/lion thingy, HS unit "504" cop car with a 906 flasher tied in, slot car lighted Countach with a 6v motor tied to a flasher that makes the wheels spin, replica of the prototype helicopter plastic, my Party Zone enriched with nos goodies from other pins working on getting the Big Bang Bar tube dancer dancing with a 6v gear reduction motor on a slow boat from china. And my golden rule for any mod is to make sure it can be removed without any damage to the pinball machine whatsoever!

11651027_10207646592987007_147933239_n.jpg11651027_10207646592987007_147933239_n.jpg
    8b7aeb60b1400ef4618034c71c3f85f72ec2fd37.jpg8b7aeb60b1400ef4618034c71c3f85f72ec2fd37.jpg
    4521333a814ce38f15bdef57e332e2f9dbd6d19f.jpg4521333a814ce38f15bdef57e332e2f9dbd6d19f.jpg
    5f6bab965d4a61bd41f84073223f5ed75888d6cd.jpg5f6bab965d4a61bd41f84073223f5ed75888d6cd.jpg
    66413ab7f361d0a0b0b255e4beb494995a0da4a2.jpg66413ab7f361d0a0b0b255e4beb494995a0da4a2.jpg
    094acda913a0be2c89bc8f2afd14e4d07a904c48.jpg094acda913a0be2c89bc8f2afd14e4d07a904c48.jpg
    056.JPG056.JPG

#262 6 years ago

This was a rough layout but was going to be glorious lol

430dff2b860b9caf8e943e1fe456e30d53b83f29 (resized).jpg430dff2b860b9caf8e943e1fe456e30d53b83f29 (resized).jpg

#263 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I get what you're saying but I love mods if there done right, for example my Paragon a hand painted metal paragon/lion thingy, HS unit "504" cop car with a 906 flasher tied in, slot car lighted Countach with a 6v motor tied to a flasher that makes the wheels spin, replica of the prototype helicopter plastic, my Party Zone enriched with nos goodies from other pins working on getting the Big Bang Bar tube dancer dancing with a 6v gear reduction motor on a slow boat from china. And my golden rule for any mod is to make sure it can be removed without any damage to the pinball machine whatsoever!

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or serious. Why would anyone want a bunch of McDonalds toys glued to their machine???

#264 6 years ago

My theory on mods is two-fold: either they improve game play (including fixing bugs or moving badly placed objects that interfere with normal sight lines), or they implement features removed during the design process to keep costs down.

For example, on my TZ, the first category include the magnet mod to the right ramp diverter, moving the right spiral sign, replacing the clock board, popping the weld on the LOCK shot, and GLM's replacement mini playfield switches. I'd include Cliffy's and Lexan fender washers in this grouping as well.

In the second category, I've got GLM's door panel insert board, and I'm counting my Color-DMD into this category as well.

I've broken my rules once: a friend bought me a spiral-design backdrop, which I had_ to put in when he was coming over to see it; it somehow never got removed. <shrug>

My .02...

#265 6 years ago
    Quoted from Renegade:

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or serious. Why would anyone want a bunch of McDonalds toys glued to their machine???

Where do you see any Mc Donalds toys dude? And for some people it turns a relatively boring pin like High Speed into something a bit more interesting. It's all perspective, I'm willing to bet you have a sticker on your cars back window too. And please don't try and make yourself feel special like pinball is so beneath toys in general...it's like the greatest toy...if you want to get so serious you should join an actors guild or something lol.

#266 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Where do you see any Mc Donalds toys dude? And for some people it turns a relatively boring pin like High Speed into something a bit more interesting. It's all perspective, I'm willing to bet you have a sticker on your cars back window too.

To each there own! Its your game, just make them removable. I have mods on all my games but seriously man, that Lambo.... wow... Also, no window stickers here!

#267 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

To each there own! Its your game, just make them removable. I have mods on all my games but seriously man, that Lambo.... wow... Also, no window stickers here!

Ok ever play Mario Andrettie's pin with the little f-1 car that goes round and round...or how about Secret service with literlly a Matchbox 308 GTS screwed to a plastic lol. I always make my mods removable as I said earlier but can assure you the guy who got my HS with the extra pair of slingshot plastics loves that Lambo and its burning out spinning wheels when you pull the plunger! I try not to just drill out some led eye holes in some crappy action figure but put some thought into it. My Party Zone now currently has over $500 in extra NOS pinball parts from other games that relate to the Star Wars canteenia theme I'm trying to create. They all come off, BBB Tube Dancer, RFM Alien and UFO, CC Beer mug target, DD Big Shot figure, EATPM Spike boogie man, custom 6-pack of Bop Pop bottles lighted tied to the 2x, Disoriented football player helmet lighted and my personal fav a 3-d printed custom frosted Shapeways rocket flame that lights us with a CT 906!

020.JPG020.JPG

710x528_10795791_7179786_1459346062.jpg (resized).png710x528_10795791_7179786_1459346062.jpg (resized).png

#268 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I'm trying, and failing, to find the mods that you did that look good, or not out of place.

#269 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

And for some people it turns a relatively boring pin like High Speed into something a bit more interesting.

High speed, relatively boring. Well this seems to explain your lack of taste. Now I get it.

#270 6 years ago

Funny - People go onto a Mod Remover's thread and show their mods expecting NOT to get bashed? I have removable mods on my TSPP but I'm not showing them here - Doh! Saw the same thing in the incandescent bulb thread with people showing their ghastly LED jobs. Bad place to seek acceptance. Better to post in a game club thread where they will ooh and ahh for you.

Oh, and I won a Gottlieb Waterworld at the past SFGE show in Atlanta. It had super bright LED Mini-Mars flashers in it. I immediately replaced them with 89s and they were still a little bright but not as unbearable. I traded it for a Jokerz and guess what? - Terrible LEDs as well. Whenever I get a game with LEDs, I know I'm going to have to spend time removing them.

#271 6 years ago

I have a Judge Dredd Im working on, came loaded with a Premium LED kit.

So sorry, and its not a "business" bias, the kit was horrible, maybe I would agree with 10% of the decisions.
    It wasnt even a 1 type bulb everywhere.....

I hate to do it, but if Im keeping it, Id have to take them all out too...

#272 6 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

Funny - People go onto a Mod Remover's thread and show their mods expecting NOT to get bashed?

Yeah, I don't get it either. What part of "mod removers club" don't these guys understand. We don't give a shit what crap you put in your pins. We don't like mods.

#273 6 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Yeah, I don't get it either. What part of "mod removers club" don't these guys understand. We don't give a shit what crap you put in your pins. We don't like mods.

Not even one?.....# SAD

#274 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I get what you're saying but I love mods if ...

God those are F(*(&ingh horrible...and you are officailly trolling this thread.

And your machines.

#275 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not even one?.....# SAD

Well, I'll admit that all my pins get Comet leds for G.I. and Titan rubbers when I get them. No color bombing though. And I did purchase a Vinnie custom hammer for my Metallica. So I do have a few mods.

#276 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

Where do you see any Mc Donalds toys dude? And for some people it turns a relatively boring pin like High Speed into something a bit more interesting. It's all perspective, I'm willing to bet you have a sticker on your cars back window too. And please don't try and make yourself feel special like pinball is so beneath toys in general...it's like the greatest toy...if you want to get so serious you should join an actors guild or something lol.

I fail to see how a matchbox car attached to the slingshot plastics adds anything to a pinball machine.

#277 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I fail to see how a matchbox car attached to the slingshot plastics adds anything to a pinball machine.

Hey have some respect, those aren't matchbox cars those are tyco 440x2 slot cars. (Even crappier looking than matchbox since they are injection molded plastic)

#278 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

In many cases, I agree, but if the Factory adds it to your NIB just received, do you remove it?

#279 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Hey have some respect, those aren't matchbox cars those are tyco 440x2 slot cars. (Even crappier looking than matchbox since they are injection molded plastic)

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:In many cases, I agree, but if the Factory adds it to your NIB just received, do you remove it?

If the factory added it, it's not a mod, it's a stock stern

#280 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

but if the Factory adds it to your NIB just received, do you remove it?

You're so deep dowen the rabbit hole you don;t even know what's real life and a mod anymore

#281 6 years ago

He's definitely trolling, those certainly don't look good.
    I don't know why else someone would come to this thread showing off their crappy stuck on toys. Unless he thinks he's going to win us over with his "tastefull" application?

#282 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You're so deep dowen the rabbit hole you don;t even know what's real life and a mod anymore

Sounds like a Political point!

Maybe I dont...I dont know, my first modding was 1971....so 46 years experience.

Its an easy question, and its curiosity.

Try this. Star Wars comes say with an Xwing fighter. Molded just for the game.
    However, a much better looking one, same size, can be bought.
    Replacing one with another is a Mod.....right? So that shouldnt be done?

What if the Pro doesnt have one, is adding this, a toy fighter, when the factory didnt add it, a task, you might not do?

Just wondering if those that dont like mods have a line that doesnt get crossed......

#283 6 years ago

Every one of these anti modders has a secret mod they never tell anyone about.

#284 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sounds like a Political point!
    Maybe I dont...I dont know, my first modding was 1971....so 46 years experience.
    Its an easy question, and its curiosity.
    Try this. Star Wars comes say with an Xwing fighter. Molded just for the game.
    However, a much better looking one, same size, can be bought.
    Replacing one with another is a Mod.....right? So that shouldnt be done?
    What if the Pro doesnt have one, is adding this, a toy fighter, when the factory didnt add it, a task, you might not do?
    Just wondering if those that dont like mods have a line that doesnt get crossed......

Your game do as you please, don't expect others to pay you for it when you sell. It's your taste and used at that point.

#285 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Its an easy question, and its curiosity....

It's actually not an easy question at all...and the line is not an easy on either really.
    46 years ago you weren't gluing action figures on slingshots...well I hope not (they had LEDs back then too).
    You probably didn't put colored condoms on bulbs to clown puke area of the PF.
    You were probably modding parts to work better...but sorry i don;t want to give you too much credit you were probably screwing things up Hey we Painted a Rudy's eyebrow & gave him an ear ring to look like mine in 1995 so there's that.

First off

Quoted from yzfguy:

Quoted from lordloss:

My take on pinball machines is that 99% of the time they should be left stock.

This isn't an anti modders club, it's right in the first post. I have mods on my twilight zone I wouldn't take off...GLM switch kit is awesome and a total improvement, for example. I also have LEDs in most of my games (easy not to clown puking).
    The point is there are some real shit show backed potato type crap out there...like shooter rods....like light up ormnements stuck on the top of a game...goddamn toppers don't get me started.

Adding an item that's only on the higher models you could go either way. You're either raging against the machine for dumb price points or your putting an SS badge on your base model

#286 6 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

My only mod 04c629cf0cc66ca4feb326edf58bb45a90224d3f (resized).jpg04c629cf0cc66ca4feb326edf58bb45a90224d3f (resized).jpg

At least, on the hardware side...

#287 6 years ago

............even I am smart enough to stay outta this thread.......ooppps

#288 6 years ago

Toppers.....Some, do add to a game...a few.

I have so little..Mostly because they collect dust and dont fit through the doorway)

But they remind me of Toaster covers, oven burner covers, and Comforters on the bed with decorated pillows....
    (I get on my wife, as no one other than us ever goes in the bedroom)

maybe someone has made a Topper for their Topper!?!?

#289 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

maybe someone has made a Topper for their Topper!?!?

Already been done by Williams. High Speed had the plastic sign over the red police light.

LTG : )

#290 6 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

(I get on my wife, as no one other than us ever goes in the bedroom)

#291 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just wait until they get their hands on the Death Star mold, there will be 100s per game.

Well to be fair you could have three Death Stars in the game and be completely consistent with the Star Wars movies.

#292 6 years ago

Y'know, for me when it comes to cosmetic mods, I think the best rule to follow is to make sure whatever you put on your game matches *perfectly* with the art style of the game. Like, I'll see the Smash Bros. Mario Amiibo on SMB and cringe, but if someone found a figurine or two that actually matched the Super Mario World art style and put them on, I think it could look nice. You can't just say "It's Mario, I'll stick it on my SMB!" or "It's a car, I'll stick it on my High Speed!" It *has* to look factory.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah sure but what if... And stay with me here... LEDS!!!

Okay, I'll be honest, I replaced the GI with LEDs... but they were all warm whites, I swear!

#293 6 years ago

I joked in another thread that you could put an LED in crap (literally crap) and someone would buy it on here for $99.95. Then when I saw the Ghostbusters twinkee mod I had proof of my theory.

LEDs don't bother me and I believe in certain mods to protect the game or fix a problem (air ball protector for Ghostbusters or the cliffy set on TSPP are great examples) but attaching McDonalds toys to your $6-7k purchase which is what a lot of people "seem" to be doing especially with SW is insane.

To each their own... but I can't believe how many people are complimenting things that literally look like poop. Is it an "Emperor Has No Clothes" thing I'm not in on?

#294 6 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Attaching McDonalds toys to your $6-7k purchase which is what a lot of people "seem" to be doing especially with SW is insane.

To be fair Stern seems to attaching McDonalds toys to SW so they started it.

#295 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

To be fair Stern seems to attaching McDonalds toys to SW so they started it.

Oh they totally did no doubt. Avatar was bad enough....but that path of the dead on LOTR is just atrocious.

#296 6 years ago

@OP, thanks for creating this thread.

When I'm looking at pins for sale and the pin advert begins with

"[Pin Name]. Mods. Mirror blades. ..."

I just move on.

... Altan

#297 6 years ago

When I see a for sale thread about mods it almost always makes me think about Brucie from Grand Theft Auto 4 talking about Car upgrades...

#298 6 years ago
    Quoted from thatdangguy:

When I see a for sale thread about mods it almost always makes me think about Brucie from Grand Theft Auto 4 talking about Car upgrades...
    » YouTube video

I love it... "take your $250,000 car and make it worth a lot less!"

#299 6 years ago

These are the mods that really annoy me as a player:

Non-factory shooter rod, unless it's small and feels good to grab.
    Flipper bat "toppers" - sorry, I need high contrast to judge my shots.
    LEDs that shine in my face while I'm playing.
    Colored GI.

#300 6 years ago

I've said it before. If a pinball machine is a work of art, why cover it with a bunch of cheap crap?
    I guess, like others have said, it comes down to taste. Some people like to fine dine and have a nice meal, some people genuinely enjoy fast-food.

There are 747 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.