(Topic ID: 187220)

Mod Removers Club - Getting rid of "mods" one machine at a time.

By lordloss

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    lotr topppp (resized).jpg
    a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    wow (resized).jpg
    wow2 (resized).jpg
    20201004_175211~2 (resized).jpg
    279163F6-0863-40DF-BA52-76DCB1542570 (resized).jpeg
    95789930_253530822364110_2942522050570354688_n (resized).png
    96793286_10221998797109660_1843812413447602176_n (resized).jpg
    CA (resized).jpg
    part0-9_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    afm (resized).jpg
    B25D935D-86FC-487C-A3CF-8A4B4FB0CF3E (resized).jpeg
    5D132F52-C7F9-40AA-9F9A-B5A5C3FC0FD1 (resized).jpeg
    Anais Facepalm.gif

There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
    #701 3 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

Which switch slot on a GB needs one?

I would use them on either inlane just because the ball rolls over them a lot. Depends on whether yours is a Pro or Prem/LE. I believe the Prem/LE there is more inlane action. Your choice of course

#702 3 years ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

I would use them on either inlane just because the ball rolls over them a lot. Depends on whether yours is a Pro or Prem/LE. I believe the Prem/LE there is more inlane action. Your choice of course

I've owned pinball machines for almost 40 years. A regular rollover switch needs no such protection. But if it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and put them on.

#703 3 years ago
    Quoted from allsportdvd:

What's wrong with a switch slot protector? I wouldn't take those out

There's nothing wrong with them, but I didn't feel they were needed, and one of them was sticking up a little and the ball would catch on it. I just removed them like I removed most of the other stuff I didn't particularly care for.

#704 3 years ago

I’ve put them on a few games that had wear around the slot. Metallica, The Shadow, I500, Demo Man. If the game doesn’t have wear there then not as mine are now HUO. On location I’d probably do all. Personal choice of course on any of these things

2 months later
    #705 3 years ago

I believe it was said best by someone on Facebook, "Respect for the job, but damn that is ugly"

wow (resized).jpgwow (resized).jpgwow2 (resized).jpgwow2 (resized).jpg
    #706 3 years ago

Vinyl wrapped?

#707 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Vinyl wrapped?

I would imagine. No idea how you would do that otherwise.

#708 3 years ago

That's a real limited edition!

#709 3 years ago

Good candidate for "Awful taste but great execution"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ATBGE/

#710 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Vinyl wrapped?

I think it was painted, airbrushed. Really gorgeous work by itself but in combination... eeeeeeesh.

#711 3 years ago

I think some mods are awesome....i.e. Color DMD, upgraded speakers, invisiglass, and pin sound board...... maybe those aren't considered mods, but more upgrades from the originals?

#712 3 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

I think it was painted, airbrushed. Really gorgeous work by itself but in combination... eeeeeeesh.

Yeah that’s what I was wondering - impressive airbrush work indeed if that’s the case.

2 months later
    11 months later
    #714 1 year ago

This thread has been dormant too long. I saw this and knew exactly what I had to do.

a30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpga30f90eeb2007f9f0ce3ab13d2dda9ceb19bfdd4 (resized).jpg
    #715 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

This thread has been dormant too long. I saw this and knew exactly what I had to do.
    [quoted image]

Need a peek-a-boo emote and x-post with rainbow puke.

#716 1 year ago

Some of the worst mods ever are happening to JJP GNR. Drums on top of drums, Slash minifigs glued all over, etc.

I honestly do not understand what pleasure people derive from doing this. I just play the damn games and if I need to mod something it is for reliability, to fix a gameplay bug, or to add gameplay improvement (e.g. POTC chest mod.)

#717 1 year ago

Someone spends that kind of dough on SM mods but no color dmd?

#718 1 year ago

People are treating these machines like a 2002 Honda Civic

#719 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

People are treating these machines like a 2002 Honda Civic

Thats what I did with my xenon and firepower by lining the underside of the cab with LED strips, I keep trying to find a Spoiler for them to put on as a topper. I live a mile from Summit Racing, I stop in every week to see if they have pinball machine sized spoilers in stock yet but no luck so far...

#720 1 year ago

I had some neons under my ‘94 integra! I’m sure there’s a market for pinball bodykits too.

#721 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I had some neons under my ‘94 integra! I’m sure there’s a market for pinball bodykits too.

The thought of this cracks me up, probably the next CPR package after the rethemes fade away

#722 1 year ago

Vault edition with ground effects!

#723 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

[quoted image]

I think those are pretty neat, and they don't seem to block anything other than barren areas.

I don't see anyone taking the village and castle off of their BSD game, houses off Flintstones, mountains off WH20, Bat Cave off Batman Forever, etc.

Your post lends me to believe if those games came barren, with exposed VUK, etc., that modding them in aftermarket would be seen as bad, but the exact same thing from the factory isn't seen as an issue...

I wish more modern factory games came as stacked looking as some of those 90s games, that actually give the player the sense that they're playing in a "world under glass." Even Godzilla, despite all of its fancy features, looks very barren and cheap by comparison to some.

#724 1 year ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

The thought of this cracks me up, probably the next CPR package after the rethemes fade away

Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Vault edition with ground effects!

Although i dont want the rethemes to fade away yet, im still hopeful that I can turn my Mata Hari into a "1998 Sport illustrated Swimsuit Calendar" pin. Then they can release the car packages.

#725 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Some of the worst mods ever are happening to JJP GNR. Drums on top of drums, Slash minifigs glued all over, etc.
    I honestly do not understand what pleasure people derive from doing this. I just play the damn games and if I need to mod something it is for reliability, to fix a gameplay bug, or to add gameplay improvement (e.g. POTC chest mod.)

RUSH owners, " hold my beer "

#726 1 year ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

I think those are pretty neat, and they don't seem to block anything other than barren areas.
    I don't see anyone taking the village and castle off of their BSD game, houses off Flintstones, mountains off WH20, Bat Cave off Batman Forever, etc.
    Your post lends me to believe if those games came barren, with exposed VUK, etc., that modding them in aftermarket would be seen as bad, but the exact same thing from the factory isn't seen as an issue...
    I wish more modern factory games came as stacked looking as some of those 90s games, that actually give the player the sense that they're playing in a "world under glass." Even Godzilla, despite all of its fancy features, looks very barren and cheap by comparison to some.

If ramps and wire forms are barren areas then you could cover half the playfield on most machines. I know Batman forever got a lot of complaints about the bat cave blocking so much of the playfield, even though it concealed the coil and ball lock. It at least served some purpose other than decoration.

#727 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

If ramps and wire forms are barren areas then you could cover half the playfield on most machines. I know Batman forever got a lot of complaints about the bat cave blocking so much of the playfield, even though it concealed the coil and ball lock. It at least served some purpose other than decoration.

I suppose I don't just see what's in front of me, so it's hard for me to relate. It's possible this is due to having hyperphantasia, mild-autism, etc., but certain playfield details bloom into much greater things for me (what you call a mere decoration can help me break through reality and become more immersed in a game).

But there are many mods I don't like.

#728 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaphX:

Totally agree + JJP already put enough stuff on the play field. The only mods (IMHO) that are halfway decent are the one Loir (The art of pinball) copied from the CE model (lockdown button and skull).

#729 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I had some neons under my ‘94 integra.

Well those were basically added to pins years ago

#730 1 year ago

Lotr Pro 36 mods.

lotr topppp (resized).jpglotr topppp (resized).jpg
    #731 1 year ago

It’s almost like stern predicted the future when they littered the lotr playfield with cheesy mini figures. Unfortunately this wasn’t enough to satisfy the appetite of the extreme modders

#732 1 year ago
    Quoted from jakethesnake181:

Lotr Pro 36 mods.
    [quoted image]

No doubt some of the LOTR mods are awesome i.e. color dmd

#733 1 year ago

I can’t think of a game that doesn’t benefit from a colordmd. Color leds on the other hand…..

What a shame, lotr is beautiful with plain old incandescents too

0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg0B9058FA-52F0-4F56-8C5C-1507C73F7CF7 (resized).jpeg
    3 months later
    #734 1 year ago

WUT

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #735 1 year ago

Jesus Christ, that snake is missing a tooth!

#736 1 year ago

I know it isn't a mod but I really want to remove the Stern Insider kit thing from my new Rush game. That QR thing on the apron looks SO terrible.

#737 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Jesus Christ, that snake is missing a tooth!

I am praying for that poor reptile....

#738 1 year ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I know it isn't a mod but I really want to remove the Stern Insider kit thing from my new Rush game. That QR thing on the apron looks SO terrible.

If you want to pull it and sell it, let me know. Thanks.

#739 1 year ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

If you want to pull it and sell it, let me know. Thanks.

It came from the factory like this - can I really pull it?

#740 1 year ago

It came from the factory like this - can I really pull it?

Yes, the machine doesn't care if it's there. Unplug it and you'll see. If you're not going to use it, you might as well sell it.

#741 1 year ago

There is a mod to move it to the coin door, however I don't believe you would have anything to cover the void where the IC reader was placed. Stern was "supposed" to provide art to Dealers/Distros for those that didn't want to use it but it does not appear that ever happened.

This is less of an issue for older games where there was a factory plastic for that, so if you retro fitted you would have it, but that does not help those that buy a game with IC installed at the factory. At least those plastics exist for the older Spike 2 games though.

5 months later
    #743 1 year ago

Mods are a crazy business. Some are amazing and took lots of engineering to get right, some are less thrilling and reusing off-the-shelf generic parts. Examples for the former are like most of the stuff from Back Alley does great custom resin work and those mods could be mistaken for 'factory' look and feel. The Precision Flipper stuff is 'factory' look and feel. ColorDMD is factory look and feel. I just can't bring myself to look at any mods that mount with double-sided sticky foam tape or any that use Alligator Clips for power..... but that's just me.

There are 743 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-removers-club-getting-rid-of-mods-one-machine-at-a-time/page/15?hl=mdeslaur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.