9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Trying to hook up a mod that needs a constant 5v power supply on a wpc . Instructions want me to hook an alligator clip to tp2 on the power driver board, but I have a new Rottendog board and it doesn't have test posts, it has test pads, nothing to clip to. I also hate alligator clips, so I would prefer to make a real connection somewhere. Any help appreciated please...........

#2 9 years ago

Well, you *could* solder to the test pad; or anywhere else there's 5V. There's nothing special about TP2 other than it's got 5V on it.

However, the advantage of alligator clips is it makes it easier for self-install and to remove the board if necessary. If you decide to solder a 5V line permanently; then you should at least add a connector so you can disconnect it should the board need service.

Which mod is it exactly and for what machine? More info and I may be able to give you more details.

#3 9 years ago

Wow, no mod should use alligator clips. That is poor design choice.

I bet you can find a connector with an empty +5v pin you can use.

#4 9 years ago

I make power taps for this exact thing.

http://www.dkpinball.com/DKWP/?page_id=641

Since the rottondog board has all of the same connectors as the original game, this power tap should work fine.

You'll have 12v/5v/GND.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Wow, no mod should use alligator clips. That is poor design choice.

There are *a lot* of mods out there targeted toward non-techs that use alligator clips. I seem to recall the laser cannons for ST:TNG had alligator clips originally.

It's fine for some things...like adding lights and you clip to an existing lamp. I don't think I'd use it on a driver board as a permanent fixture.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from dewdude82:

There are *a lot* of mods out there targeted toward non-techs that use alligator clips. I seem to recall the laser cannons for ST:TNG had alligator clips originally.
    It's fine for some things...like adding lights and you clip to an existing lamp. I don't think I'd use it on a driver board as a permanent fixture.

regardless of the target group, it is poor design...

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

regardless of the target group, it is poor design...

Poor is being nice with words. Yikes!

Use or make something like DKpinball linked too.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Poor is being nice with words. Yikes!
    Use or make something like DKpinball linked too.

well, i've been told i need to be nicer to people, so i was trying...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-power-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.