IMG_0494 (resized).jpeg
maiden (resized).jpeg
mando (resized).jpeg
2nd Right Coil Flipper (resized).jpg
Right Coil Flipper (resized).jpg
Left Coil Flipper (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0544 (resized).JPEG
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Testing is complete and Im ready to ship a few kits while I wait for supplies to build more.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec/06645-extended-play-coil-coolers-spike-2

Tested and working on my personal Godzilla and Jurassic Park. More pins will be added to the list as confirmation of fitment comes in.

*****Current Compatibility Progress*****

Known Working:
Godzilla - 2 and 3 Flipper kits
Jurassic Park - 2 and 3 Flipper kits
Led Zeppelin - 2 Flipper kit
Elvira - 2 Flipper kit
Deadpool - 2 Flipper Kit
Rush - 2 and 3 Flipper kits
Iron Maiden - 2 and 3 flipper *3 Flipper kit will cool both lowers and upper right
Mando - 2 Flipper kit
Avengers: Infinity Quest - 2 and 3 Flipper Kit
TMNT - 2 and 3 Flipper Kit
Star Wars - 2 Flipper Kit
Stranger things - 2 Flipper Kit
Batman66 - 2 Flipper Kit

Test kit in the mail:
TBA

Spike2 (resized).jpegSpike2 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago

How aboot putting a picture of them installed?

#3 2 years ago

Godzilla

1E91B702-3CEC-4E0A-B721-7A5594E72BE0 (resized).jpeg1E91B702-3CEC-4E0A-B721-7A5594E72BE0 (resized).jpeg1F8DBFEA-B849-4848-B083-C63D9AD35C2C (resized).jpeg1F8DBFEA-B849-4848-B083-C63D9AD35C2C (resized).jpeg517898C8-51D1-4587-AB81-514772EE2811 (resized).jpeg517898C8-51D1-4587-AB81-514772EE2811 (resized).jpegD9CA72B9-0E85-4CDF-A0D9-C9B31CB973EE (resized).jpegD9CA72B9-0E85-4CDF-A0D9-C9B31CB973EE (resized).jpeg

#4 2 years ago

Jp

ACE1D2E0-6E55-44B4-8D3E-7FEA6D1489A3 (resized).jpegACE1D2E0-6E55-44B4-8D3E-7FEA6D1489A3 (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago

Ahhh that's what they look like. Thanks!

#6 2 years ago

Cant believe that slipped my mind....

#7 2 years ago

Not trying to cause a ruckus, simply asking: do these coils typically get that hot??

#8 2 years ago

Its not out of the ordinary have flipper coils reach in excess of 165F after about 30-40 minutes of game play. At around the 130F mark you will notice flipper power fading and not being able to make it up ramps will become more common. I did some data logging on the wizard of oz kits im selling and although not a one for one with spike games its close.

WozTempChart (resized).pngWozTempChart (resized).png

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Not trying to cause a ruckus, simply asking: do these coils typically get that hot??

I haven't noticed any issues with Godzilla, but Stranger Things and Iron Maiden definitely have flipper fade for me (proper tele lock shot becomes difficult on STh, and the middle ramp from the right flipper on Maiden becomes difficult before one game is over [may need to check my coil stop on that one]).

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

These are cheaper

Are they as good or better?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Are they as good or better?

Good question but I think we need a 3rd party for that one.

#14 2 years ago

I have never used or tested the other kits available. This setup keeps your coils below the fade threshold is all i can say.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good question but I think we need a 3rd party for that one.

We need an endorsement from vid1900 !

#16 2 years ago

What's the longest you have had a set of these running? I would be a little concerned about the mounts breaking at that angle joint where the fans mount. You have a lot of mass on the end of that moment arm that will be subject to a ton of vibration.

Also....does GZ use different coils between the left and right side?

#17 2 years ago

cool little upgrade and love the effort to record the temperature stats.

Silly question but has anyone tried putting 2 fans on the back bottom of the cabinet - one sucks in and other blows out to cool the cabinet void

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

We need an endorsement from vid1900 !

I have used his guides many times. I started this as a way to give back to the community that has helped me so much over the years. He is welcome to a set no charge if he is interested.

Quoted from RobF:

What's the longest you have had a set of these running? I would be a little concerned about the mounts breaking at that angle joint where the fans mount. You have a lot of mass on the end of that moment arm that will be subject to a ton of vibration.
Also....does GZ use different coils between the left and right side?

I have 400+ plays on 3 different sets each and they are holding strong. A major part of structural 3d prints is print orientation.

Quoted from swinks:

cool little upgrade and love the effort to record the temperature stats.
Silly question but has anyone tried putting 2 fans on the back bottom of the cabinet - one sucks in and other blows out to cool the cabinet void

I have not but would be interesting to try. You would want a dust filter for the incoming air. I did however do the cooling testing for woz by first playing with them off for an hour then flipping them on without venting the cabinet first. You can see my results above.

#19 2 years ago

Just an idea as one fan may cancel out the other and not reach the front of the cabinet.

You could possibly combat that with a 90 deg elbow on the blow in intake like a bit of plumbing tubing with a 100mm / 4 " extension pointing to the front of the cabinet (and you could have a drop in slot for dust screen if you wanted as well).

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I have 400+ plays on 3 different sets each and they are holding strong. A major part of structural 3d prints is print orientation.

Yes, but a distant second to structure design and maybe third to material choice. If it survives a reasonable amount of time live testing, then you are golden either way. It's just the first thing I noticed looking at them and thought I would pass along the thought.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Just an idea as one fan may cancel out the other and not reach the front of the cabinet.

You could possibly combat that with a 90 deg elbow on the blow in intake like a bit of plumbing tubing with a 100mm / 4 " extension pointing to the front of the cabinet (and you could have a drop in slot for dust screen if you wanted as well)

I can't say I've ever gotten into a cabinet bottom and said 'woah, the ambient heat in here is tough!'

It's just a huge volume of space with little gear generation.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

You could possibly combat that with a 90 deg elbow on the blow in intake like a bit of plumbing tubing with a 100mm / 4 " extension pointing to the front of the cabinet (and you could have a drop in slot for dust screen if you wanted as well).

I guess what i was trying to say was that from my testing I'm inclined to believe the coils need direct airflow to stay cool.

Quoted from RobF:

Yes, but a distant second to structure design and maybe third to material choice. If it survives a reasonable amount of time live testing, then you are golden either way. It's just the first thing I noticed looking at them and thought I would pass along the thought.

I'm genuinely flattered that anyone even clicked on this thread let alone putting deep thought into my design. If something unforeseen happens in the future i will make it right.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I'd much rather prefer two fans pulling out of the backbox. Man, it gets toasty in there sometimes.

#24 2 years ago

Can/will someone just sell the stl file so we can print our own? I'd be willing to pay for that

#25 2 years ago

I can vouch for the importance of fans on the coils for Stranger Things. I’m a huge PinMonk devotee though, so I’ll always buy his stuff even if it’s a little more. The dude is an essential-mod idea factory.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can vouch for the importance of fans on the coils for Stranger Things. I’m a huge PinMonk devotee though, so I’ll always buy his stuff even if it’s a little more. The dude is an essential-mod idea factory.

I totally respect that position and the community now has options. With options when you chose one kit or the other it means even more to the dev.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I have never used or tested the other kits available. This setup keeps your coils below the fade threshold is all i can say.

But you copied the fan model and power setup right down to the diode and fuse on the power lead. Fuse is SOMETIMES, rarely done with powered mods, but rectifier diode is the one you can't explain away. No one does that to my knowledge except my kits. You just ripped mine off in a less-than fashion.

There are a MILLION things modders can use their talents for to benefit the community and make pinball better. Make something. Ripping off what already exists doesn't move the needle for making pinball better.

#28 2 years ago

Oh boy, kinda thought this was coming. I only came to chime in that these fans are a solution to a real issue on some games. Nothing worse than having an epic game only to have solid shots die up a ramp and drain SDTM.

#29 2 years ago

Never would have imagined a competitive market in pinball cooling fans.

#30 2 years ago

Just curious if this issue with coils getting hot is a design flaw of some kind with the circuit and could be avoidable at all. I dont remember wpc games having this issue but could be weong.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from PapaBless:

Can/will someone just sell the stl file so we can print our own? I'd be willing to pay for that

Available. Check thingiverse.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Just curious if this issue with coils getting hot is a design flaw of some kind with the circuit and could be avoidable at all. I dont remember wpc games having this issue but could be weong.

Stern uses coils with one winding, and for the hold they use a lower duty cycle to reduce power instead of a higher-resistance winding. This design goes back to at least LOTR in 2003. But for a lot of games it’s not an issue. I used coil heat sinks for Iron Man and LOTR, and they worked okay. But they don’t work nearly as well as the coil fans. I consider it an essential mod for Stranger Things.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But you copied the fan model and power setup right down to the diode and fuse on the power lead. Fuse is SOMETIMES, rarely done with powered mods, but rectifier diode is the one you can't explain away. No one does that to my knowledge except my kits. You just ripped mine off in a less-than fashion.
There are a MILLION things modders can use their talents for to benefit the community and make pinball better. Make something. Ripping off what already exists doesn't move the needle for making pinball better.

Geez dude, it’s a frickin fan. This does not look good on you. You’re a good guy and have a solid reputation and brand going at a premium price, let it go. When you’re selling $200 DC fans people are going to want a piece. Competition is a good thing for consumers so I wish you both the best of luck.

Personally I would buy the cheapest thing that works, if I was too lazy to order fans off amazon and do it myself, that is.

#34 2 years ago

It’s why America is the greatest country in the world.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Geez dude, it’s a frickin fan. This does not look good on you. You’re a good guy and have a solid reputation and brand going at a premium price, let it go. When you’re selling $200 DC fans people are going to want a piece. Competition is a good thing for consumers so I wish you both the best of luck.
Personally I would buy the cheapest thing that works, if I was too lazy to order fans off amazon and do it myself, that is.

While I don't disagree with you in general, and PinMonk could have responded better, if it's something more detailed as he suggests, it would seem fair to bring attention to that part.

While it makes sense to see another option on the market, with pinball being such a niche hobby, I could also understand feeling like some camaraderie was broken.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've been doing this for far longer than you, but never monetized it. I can seriously come out with a $25 fucking pinball fan kit for three flipper coils and make a clean $10 bucks-EASY.

You are not doing anything special get over it. Let this man point fans at flipper coils and charge us less than you.

#37 2 years ago

SlapDrain I like the graphs, what hardware do you use for your data logging?

#38 2 years ago

I feel we had the same thing 10-15 years ago with mirrored balls.

Quoted from Vino:

Never would have imagined a competitive market in pinball cooling fans.

#39 2 years ago

Here is what data was missing to help understand

Screenshot_20220415-012403_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220415-012403_Drive (resized).jpg
#40 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I mean...yeah probably took some ideas from you. We all are an STL file, 3d printer, and some motivation away from doing what you do. This person is just filling in the gap between the items listed above and your high prices. (Not degrading your work, you make great mods!) As a consumer, I'm going for the cheaper item that does what I need it to.
You business model needs a change (lower prices or introduce something that this person does not) otherwise sellers like this will meet the consumer half way.
Again, absolutely no disrespect to you or the work you have done. I love your products

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

SlapDrain I like the graphs, what hardware do you use for your data logging?

Thanks for the kind words, a friend of mine designed the graphics after I rambled off a bunch a random design ideas. Data logging was done with an Extech sdl200.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

It’s why America is the greatest country in the world.

Is it though? Really?

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Is it though? Really?

YESSIR!

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yes. Like on stranger things premium LE, you’ll literally not be able to make the demo or the lock without them if you play longer than 20 mins.

The captain marvel ramp on AIQ is the same. Not possible after only 30 mins of play.

Backhands become harder on most games when they heat up (AC/DC, GNR, AIQ)

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Same issue. Ever been to a herb style tournament? Theres a reason everyone tries to play the sys 11s and WPC games early in the day. By the end of the day the flippers are much different.

#46 2 years ago

Have a set going out to someone who will be generously donating their time in test fitting these brackets on the following games:

Elvira - 2 flipper kit
Stranger things - 2 flipper kit
Batman66 - 2 flipper kit
Iron Maiden - 4 flippers 3 flipper kit would cool both lowers and upper right
Star Wars - 2 flipper kit
Rush - 3 flipper kit
Mando - 2 flipper kit

Stay tuned for results...

#47 2 years ago

Looks interesting. Due to my lack of skill, my games rarely last anywhere near long enough to make this a problem but cooling the coils makes sense. A few questions come to mind:

- Are the fans on all the time the machine is on or just when a game is being played?

- Are they plug-and-play or are any wiring mods required?

- If the fans are on all the time, how noticible is the noise?

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Looks interesting. Due to my lack of skill, my games rarely last anywhere near long enough to make this a problem but cooling the coils makes sense. A few questions come to mind:
- Are the fans on all the time the machine is on or just when a game is being played?
- Are they plug-and-play or are any wiring mods required?
- If the fans are on all the time, how noticible is the noise?

-On whenever game is powered on
-Simple one piece plug and play harness with printed install guide
-Barely audible - this was my concern as well but its not an issue

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't wanna point fans, but this isn't very monk of you.

#50 2 years ago

We just had another pinsider generously offer their time to test a set on AIQ. I myself will be picking up a deadpool this weekend so we can add that to the list as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Grovetown, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-announcement-extended-play-coil-coolers-spike-2- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.