Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#569 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What’s his skill set? He is not a designer or coder or engineer or artist or an IP license expert…he doesn’t have high end money management or have deep pocket financial contacts of his own. In all candor, what does he possibly bring to the table for a pinball company?
    I guess he’s saying he can be a project manager of some sort or another, but that requires a significant amount of self-awareness and attention to detail…not to mention the ability to meet deadlines and manage people what not. He’s done a lot of name dropping and tried to affiliate himself in some way with Fix…that won’t endear him or give potential employers any sense that he can keep cool.

He has done some great work in the past. I've purchased backglasses and pfs from him. No complaints and some in here are being a bit harsh.

However, his ability to meet deadlines is as poor as I've ever seen in production and his health (or addictions) stand in his way unfortunately. In addition, he has not shown the ability to keep records as evidenced in the Seawitch pf fiasco.

I wish him the best of luck and he always has seemed like a nice guy.

3 weeks later
    #2620 1 year ago
    Quoted from mof:

Wait a second, Ben...
    "Percepto" was an original movie gimmick? A buzzing device activated in every movie theater seat?
    https://www.nightmarishconjurings.com/2019/09/26/horrible-imaginings-film-review-the-tingler-in-percepto-60th-anniversary/
    Amaaazing!

A William Castle gimmick. He had tons of them.

1 week later
    #3746 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

The fixed targets are fine, & I might find some other parts to go with the Texas build. Just had my supper after pounding back the 10 bottles of Labatt Blue: https://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/labatt-blue
    Double smoke Pepperoni, only got 2 of 3 in my gut!
    [quoted image]

John

In all sincerity, you have to change your diet. You're going to get colon cancer. Lost my dad last year because of his behavior like this....

I want to see this project be successful for the record.

#3808 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If you have a family history of cancer AND high alcohol consumption AND high processed meat consumption AND you refuse to change your behavior then I don't know what else to tell ya. Good luck John.

Two of the worst things you can eat for colon cancer is alcohol and processed meat.

Colon Cancer isn't fun...it's a slow and painful death. You'll be begging your Doctor or wife to give you an opium overdose.

#3832 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

So it's ass gout?

Not necessary. It can metastasize in your small intestine and spread to your liver and lungs. Then you're looking at stage 4 and you're fucked.

Ass gout is anal cancer - which isn't too fun either from what I've heard. You have to have a new ass created out of the side of your lower thigh or stomach. I heard it's a blast.

#3833 1 year ago

Thanks for your concern. No I will not stop drinking beer. It is a culture in my area of Canada. Hard to believe but there are hard drinkers here that can barely make it home, or been to the drunk tank, DUI, Emergency, or deal with the cops. My friends can name people they know, & I am not one of them.

Congratulations. You won't die of color cancer, but maybe it will be liver cancer or esophagus cancer. Both high risk categories for beer drinkers.

I hope you are kidding about your intake.

#3905 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:Had 9 beers today. A good relaxation day. Did some work for the operator since some dumb kid tried to destroy a ic on on a vid board. Removed the damage ic socket & new one installed. Went to my printer to drop off some clear film. Lots of good rule sets hopefully to go into the game.
    You guys can try to figure out the programmer, & I will keep silent on what is coming from Steve Young.

Do you drink those beers while you are working? How do you get back and forth from the bar?

#4364 1 year ago

I should know, some people will remember my early history 27 years back. Sent a bunch of rare pins to the dump or burned them up. Made the numbers even lower, & back then they were fairly cheap project games.

You did this?

#4544 1 year ago

This is nothing new. The study only refers to the cancer risks - let alone the cardiovascular damage, diabetes, increased inflammation and neuropathy in the legs. Local guy here just killed himself because he couldn't take the pain from neuropathy any more.

#4564 1 year ago

Think I will keep drinking until my medical doctor gets serious concerns. Why do you think sales of alcohol & weed keeps going up. Not because of some stupid studies. No beers for me, & unlikely until Thursday. Maybe I will get some bottles & fill the pop machine with beer!

What exactly is your Doctor checking? Did you tell him/her of your alcohol intake? Did they run a ALT test for you to determine if there is any liver damage? Sorry that I sound like a broken record, but my 48 year old brother is waiting on a kidney/liver transplant from a lifetime of abuse, so it hits home. Unless you are just pulling our leg....

#4873 1 year ago

Had my nice discount Nova Scotia pork chops for supper with a Guinness. Good to cook yourself, only ever saw Jpop drinking coffee. Still using my BBQ sauce that was best before about 5 years back. The local guys were a little concerned with the green mustard. So supper & can of Guinness was just over $5. Thanks coach for the first free beer from the coke pop vendor. You can stack some cans in the mini door!
    [quoted image]

I'm sure all those carcinogenic fumes so nearby just add to the flavor.

Is that auto bondo on the far left with the label facing out?

#4929 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Beer count yesterday=1.

1? How could you get through all of that people work without drinking a pitcher or two?

#4933 1 year ago

All the years I have been drinking, no one has ever called me a drunk!

If you don't get drunk, why even drink it then? Think of all the money (and calories) you would save.

#4975 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I guess this is where most of us differ with GWJ. If we found out the program couldn't be printed, we would seek and find a solution NOW! Make it happen before doing anything else. Once that is accomplished, maybe get a beer and oysters at the local pub. Not to be a dick, but that is why failure is more prevent for some then others, they don't push to the finish. It's not dumb luck, or outside influences out of our control. It's a drive to succeed.
    GWJ, you may need to step up your game to get this going. Do you have the drive to succeed, or just a pipe dream? You are not working for the man anymore, it's all you.
    Make us proud!
    TPF 2023!!!

Us prepaid guys are used to the routine.

#5022 1 year ago

I bought just over $10 worth of mild pepperoni which is a bunch, this is what is left.
    [quoted image]

Was that on its way in or out?

#5153 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Can't tell you how many old alcoholics she's seen at the VA hospital. Best you can do is try to get them to be honest about how much they consume to write in their notes so the next doctor has an idea of what to expect.
    People don't change unless they want to. A doctor's time is too valuable to preach to an unreceptive patient or devise an action plan that they know won't be followed.

I believe it.

A family member was recently diagnosed with hepatitis of the liver, which is a death sentence. Young too. But the sympathy level at first from the Physicians were non existence. They basically said go home and die.

He's fought back and finally got on the list for donated organs - but his team told us that he is in the minority. Now they want him be a speaker to other patients because he quit and is trying to change his life. Most of them - even those that don't need a transplant and could reverse the damage, just kept on drinking and killed themselves. The way I look at is there are too many people on earth anyway, so if some choose to end it early by their behavior, so be it.

#5551 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

nonsense beer is liquid bread
    During the Middle Ages where monasteries doubles as regional breweries and monks would fast during all of lent, they would brew extra heavy beers for the fasting season for the caloric intake. That's the origin of the Abbey Trappist style of ale, which use a lot of beat sugar and tend to be 8-12% ABV

And they only lived until age 30 too.

#5564 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That's part of why a lot of not-first-born-sons were sent to monasteries (that and to avoid fights over inheritance)

True. The more I read - seems that their was a lot of confrontations over family inheritance - and it wasn't always civil.

#5617 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

& what are those healthy choices?

He does hit a salad here and there and he did mention Kale not too long ago....

#5683 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:This shop is nasty with bad smells, likely from dead birds, mice, rats, or squirrels somewhere in the walls or ceiling.

I'm sure it's mold or something even worse.

#5691 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Children, play nice. GWJ has a nasty cold so please calm your giblets until he is back on his feet.
    Get some rest and be well John.

Those of us from the prepaid days are used to it. More colds to come.

#5719 1 year ago

Love the aerosol can next to the grill. Bravo.

#5749 1 year ago

Cold day #4, at the workshop. Got a decent night sleep after tylenol all day. Chest congestion & runny nose. Should be back to work on the whitewood on Monday.

Not that you care, you may want to take Advil instead of Tylenol. Tylenol has a high impact on the liver, and is not recommended for those who consume a lot of alcohol.

But.....well - nevermind.

#5758 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is probably the most appropriate picture I have seen to describe the situation in the thread.

It's all part of the plan.

#5826 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

It kinda looks like cheese that has liquefied. There is NO way I would eat that. I am surprised the store sees that as fit for sale.

It is Canada.....

#5878 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

John just for knowledge, eating animal fats is not necessarily bad for you. In fact its quite good for you (obviously in moderation). Back in like the 80's 90's it was thought that all these fats were bad for you and thats why we got all these vegetable oils and whatnot replacing butter and other fats in foods. If you're going to be concerned about fats in foods be less concerned about natural fats and be more concerned with all the processed fats

Nothing from animal products is good for you.

#5903 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

There are a lot of medicines that have animal products in them. Like certain blood thinners, hormone therapies, vaccines, etc... Some countries still allow human insulin produced from animals.

There is a difference between pharmaceuticals and pork fat.

#5906 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm guessing that you're vegan and thats perfectly fine. I'm not one of those guys who is upset by that or says HURR DURR I'M GONNA EAT 2 STEAKS NOW HAHA. I have some good friends who are vegan and there is certainly an argument to be made over the health benefits of it. To say "no animal product is good for you" is scientifically and factually wrong. Don't do your lifestyle a disservice by being that type of person.

I don't want to derail this thread, but the science is overwhelming on the harm of animal products (mean, eggs, dairy, etc). You could make an argument for fish, but the mercury levels cancel that out. The only studies that show animal products are good are those that funded by the meat/dairy industry.

You can say it's scientifically and factually wrong, but that doesn't make it so. I can lead you to the promise land if you like, but you won't love what you see.

And I do eat meat - 2 servings a week.

#5918 1 year ago

Blueberries are an incredible food - when sugar isn't added.

#5962 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Coach has been very quiet lately. Would be nice to at least have a title. Maybe he's realizing pinball is hard.

Coach is picking up a Bond LE and SLE (Elwin) version. I can see why he isn't concerned about this. Probably will get it before his CCr LE rolls in?

Great write up on the summary....but we are 22 days in. Is the only progress to date that the pf design is printed and a few holes are drilled on a piece of flammable paneling?

#6015 1 year ago

For the last time nothing wrong with Fast Pinball steering us clear of their products. The coach knows them personally, & I do not believe that I have seen or spoken them at a show.

But did you drink with them at a show?

#6028 1 year ago

I'm starting to wonder if this is a sham, and Jon is really working on a game behind our backs. All of the few holes on a piece of paneling is just a red herring hence all the meaningless tidbits of his day and diet. When the six months is up, the game will be in his brother's driveway and he'll get a big "Told you all so!"

#6073 1 year ago

Just as long as nobody runs out of beer. That it is a disaster.

#6079 1 year ago

The coach said he might call Monday afternoon. Still have a hack but the cold is finely winding down.

Try IPAs, I hear they help quicken a cold.

#6081 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

When i was young I recall my old man making himself a 'hot toddy' haha.. i think it was whiskey & hot water w/ a lemon or some honey maybe! That'll kill a cold apparently! Glad to hear you're feeling better John.

That was used all the time. Brandy too. I think it probably just numbed the pain for them.

#6124 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

It's an "Alley Pass", not a "Shatz". Calling the move implies that Neil Shatz invented the move and he didn't!
    I invented the skill in the 1970s and taught Rick Stetta the move in the 1980s. Rick taught Neil the move. Some podcaster saw Neil make the move many years later and without researching its origin, called it a "Shatz".

What was Rick Stetta like as a player? Only saw him on a few videos, but never in action. He was before my time.

#6180 1 year ago

I spent my day home waiting on no show UPS. Finally got my package paid for brokerage, tax, etc. The first call seemed to go to India for customer service (bad hum on the line), called back likely got someone in Canada. Paid another redirect fee to send the parcel to the workshop for safety! I do not trust dump & go at my slum apartment. .

Next time, have the package delivered to your favorite bar. Then you can kill two birds with one stone.

#6206 1 year ago

Are the cabinets cut, assembled, and ready to go?

#6254 1 year ago

This week, maybe Monday I will be searching out steel fabricator shops to get the custom guide rails done, & there will be custom side rails!

How long will it take from identifying a supplier to get the rails in hand do you think this will take?

#6335 1 year ago

Reading through posts for good advice on stuff provided by a few. I threw out a mustard, & BBQ sauce from the fridge that were opened. I kept the packages of cheese & eating those slowly as long as I do not see bad mold growth. Power might of been off for 24 hours or more, less than 48 hours.

Even if they have mold, they may be ok. Mold is penicillin.....

#6343 1 year ago

I'm amazed that he had an entire month of downtime built into the plan, as nothing has been accomplished during month #1.

#6362 1 year ago

Completion is closer to zero. Do not expect much this month until the stainless guide rails are manufactured & most of the assemblies are here later this month. In the mean time I am working on pinball & arcade vids to free up space in my work area. Pop machine is still full of beer & a got another 48 bottles waiting to go in.

Meaning you will have only 4 months to create a brand new game?

#6368 1 year ago

4 - 5 months is enough build time for likely only the single game or a pair. Not worried, everything is still going to the plan for March 2023 in Texas.

If the first two months of the plan didn't see anything completed, why do you think month 3 is going to be different? Is this just to get a working panelwood pf?

#6376 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

A month ago it was implied his vendors were all lined up and ready to go. This month we find out he is trying to get it done as a walk in customer and has to switch fabricators because of it.

Very true.

#6393 1 year ago

Just got home from the bar & had 9 beer.... There is no panic going on here, everything is going along as planned, & the game(s) will be in Texas in March.

Fuck me dead. After 9 beers I wouldn't be panicking either.

#6394 1 year ago

The exterminator had been in to work on the bed bugs since we have poor people from Africa being government housed here.

OP - don't forget to add this tidbit to the summary.

#6418 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

He was sick with a cold for several days, negatively impacting beer consumption.

That was NOT part of the plan.

#6459 1 year ago

My best guess is Haggis Pinball might of got me on the list.

I might have missed it, but why what were you critical of Haggis about? Those guys are pretty solid and seem to put out decent enough games.

#6476 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Haggis wasn’t building quickly enough! Oh the humanity.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-by-haggis-pinball?tq=&tu=Greatwichjohn
    To be fair, John is showing how the sausage (or pepperoni) is made. Or not.

Wow! Wonder what his angle was. Probably tried to get hired and they said "we're good".

#6532 1 year ago
    Quoted from damageinc55:

True talk. I just finished about 12 hours of slamming through marketing tasks to get a new website launched (behind schedule). I was frantically finding time between updates to team members, keeping people on task, doing dirty work myself, and keeping the head honchos pacified.

You're not living the dream...you do realize that right?

#6545 1 year ago

But how often can poor people buy a desert when having a meal out. Very rarely for the wife & myself. Meal & beers is the priority. In Canada produce & fruit are very expensive. Blame it on high fuel prices in California that get added into the cost.

Using a crock pot will bring your food prices down and provide healthy meals that will help your body fight off all of those colds. Just sayin....

#6557 1 year ago

Dragonfist is fast and mean - no 10 minute ball times on that game.

I'd make an offer to the frat house and get it out of there.

Tell them you'll bring over suitcases of Bud Light for a year.

#6588 1 year ago

Bed bugs take a very aggressive approach to getting rid of. I've had a lot of experience with employees.

Anyway- I'm waiting for last night's beer total.

#6628 1 year ago

I do keep the wife happy. Will get her next suitcase of bud cans (36) on Monday. I get the wrath when the beer runs out in the slum apartment fridge.

This can't be real.

He has a wife living in a slum apartment and she's happy only as long as she has her 4-5 buds a day. When she runs out - she goes all Calypso on him.

Can't be real - he has to be trolling us.

#6655 1 year ago

Is Jon Norris the one actually building the game? I admit I'm confused as you keep saying "Jon Norris has plans"...what does that mean? I thought he was only designing the pf, which you now have.

Of course you are not accountable to any of us so you can tell me to bugger off.

#6663 1 year ago

At some point, you have to wonder if the plan is the fact that there is no plan.

#6665 1 year ago

deleted (was in bad taste)

#6716 1 year ago

Game will be built in the timeline stated way to many times.

No it won't and you're already making excuses by starting to blame others.

#6781 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

He has to be held accountable for dragging Haggis and Fast Pinball through the mud. Everything else, agreed, he needs to answer to the Ice man.

People drag others through the mud all the time on this site. Are they to be held accountable?

Just relax - and enjoy the ride.

#6873 1 year ago

It would seem we have the first official change to the plan.

That sucks. There goes the entertainment.

#6880 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Wow, in 3 months of following this thread, the “for the most part” qualification is the most hesitant I have ever seen GWJ. Maybe the winds really are a changin.

Noticed that as well. First sign of concern, betting things pick up soon.

#6899 1 year ago

Other stuff being ordered, & pop machine still full of beer.

All part of the plan.

#6955 1 year ago

John

You stated you had vendors and suppliers lined up. If you now sourcing for parts, it's going to be tough to meet your deadline.

Either way - I'm rooting for ya.

#6966 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

22% of build time elapsed. Progress=boxes of parts and a piece of paneling with a 2 mechs screwed to it.
    Tick Tock....
    [quoted image]

Once the parts are received, it will all come together quickly per the plan.

#6992 1 year ago

Hope he's ok....

#6997 1 year ago

Still alive & breathing. Still have not had a stay at the drunk tank yet! Thursday I got my wife her suitcase of beer, & the 2 computers (old) took a dump at home. My old one, I put a beating on with endless updates (see the endless comments about me beating on playfield glass & bus drivers that pull away with me running next to the bus, pound on the bus sides or windows), & my wife had no power (battery dead & charging port not working). Being Thursday I went for my Guinness & oysters to find out that special is over. So I paid $1 each for 3 oysters that were small, so I will likely end my Thursday visit. Went to another bar: 1 Guinness & 2 pitchers. Friday I spent 4 hours on the bus & walking to the beverage recycler outlets. Spent some time at the brew arcade, & then went drinking to my local 2 beers, staples looking for a cheap computer, & my Friday night social 6 beers. Saturday new computer, hour with my service provider, afternoon & evening drinking very nice free fresh British beer style on pull handles at Brew Arcade invite special. Had 5 free hot dogs & likely about 10 beer on tap. We played some pinball, Xenon, Rush, & Haunted House. 1 beer with a team member at the shop afterwards. I repaired my wifes old charging port by soldering the power cord to the jack housing & some hot glue. I will try the battery pack from my destroyed computer. I like to destroy computer stuff at the end of its life, my dead mother & wife always got on my case with destroying dud computers with the hammer.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'll give you this....you sure remember all the detailed facts. I couldn't tell you half of what I did the last few days.

#7022 1 year ago

I always refuse protection insurance plan, tell them I will smash the computer. Previous times I took my computer in for service wasted money, & only lasted a few months. Had the windows blue screen of death a few times. Lately it was endless windows updates. Have more hot dogs ready for supper. Nice fall day here, light winds & almost 70 degrees.

You have to admire his transition on topics mid paragraph.

#7028 1 year ago

He did. It was to order more parts. The plan was that once those parts arrived, John would get hard to work and pick up the pace.

I thought the parts did arrive....

#7054 1 year ago

This week I will get the parts here mounted to the mdf board.

Here is the goal for this week. Let's see if it happens.

#7073 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

This thread is deja vu all over again.

Not sure how he's going to build and apply art files and a software system with those mad computer skills he has.

#7087 1 year ago

Must be a interesting story. Maybe the fanboys were all on his case about the build.

This is a public thread.....

#7107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:Good lord.
    And hes on the hook to Iceman for at least 4 gs, as benheck knew would happen.
    Good news GWJ can claim computer/fax/teletype illiteracy and its a slam dunk for him.

Ice probably makes that in a few minutes on a good day. He isn't going to go hungry if the doesn't get his pin.

#7186 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

For my sanity, I'm just going to assume that's lead free solder on your workbench where you do your pin fixin and pork cookin

Of course it isn't lead free.

#7187 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I have to ask, do you ever eat with your wife? It seems like you do a lot of things separately.

Nor do they seem to drink together.

#7247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Back to square one. Tick tock...
    [quoted image]

Plenty of time.

#7268 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Whew! I was afraid you were going to blow the plan by starting on the new whitewood.

What exactly are the next steps? is there anything preventing him from starting to populate the new plywood? He has some of the parts now.

#7282 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

The only thing most of us have posted from day one is not that we doubt he can do it, just that we doubt he can do it in the timeline he put forth. His timeline.

He isn't going to get it completed in his lifetime if he doesn't start prioritizing his day and starts checking off the boxes on tasks. He needs an old fashioned efficiency expert, or ass kicker...or both.

Maybe he needs Ben Heck.

#7286 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I always argued that if the reward for work completed was a Starbucks coffee, JPOP would have set the world on fire. Instead Starbucks was down the road and the bank account (for a while) was flush, work done or not.
    We all know GWJs kryptonite. The problem is it’s available to him whether he does or does not do any actual work. 25 cents even. That is not going to help productivity one bit. Incentives have to be aligned with accomplishment. They aren’t here except for some distant goal that might as well be next century. Doesn’t impact day to day effort. No sense of urgency at all.

He stated to work on the pfs quickly, but then delay after delay after delay set in. We got them, but it took years. Now that he's retired, it appears that he's gone down the destructive route that many retirees do. Hope he turns it around.

#7336 1 year ago

Thanks my new gmail is listed here. Not feeling the greatest today, go to my local for 4pm opening, & have a few cheap horsepower beer on tap.

Drink some extra, it will take the pain away.

#7346 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Due to complicated technical issues, GWJ is unable to respond.
    He needs to update his password on pinside to post from home. Its a minor setback but may be cleared up in a week or two. Its been figured into the plan.
    Carry on.

How exactly did the password snafu start in the first place?

#7362 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Methos come on man pay attention to the thread!

I'm trying - I swear.

#7377 1 year ago

Now you're cooking with gas!

#7492 1 year ago

Halifax is mostly a very tolerant city.

Obviously, they have street drugs and the Salvation Army.

#7498 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Well I find that salvation army is somewhat annoying and possibly woke at this point, They have done some good in the world..

Lots of good in the past. I was semi involved years ago, but I've heard they have changed course.

#7523 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Just imagine if the effort spent on acquiring discount food substances and in a bar was instead spent on the build. We might almost be done here.

But then this thread would not be so entertaining.

#7536 1 year ago

Actually the store allows you free packages of dressings depending on the size of the salad. Free croutons are good with a salad or on their own. Had 2 beers at the bar that has Happy Hour all day Monday & Tuesday, or every day 5 - 7 pm. Margaret at Pinball Life was processing the 3rd order with Pinball Expo discount. I drink Keiths bottles only at that bar, & there was 13 free credits on the Jukebox (pick only single credit ones). I will be eating the rest of the pepperoni I dropped on the floor for supper (5 second pick up rule, or not).

This is a serious question.

When you are drinking at the bar, what do you do? Talk to others are the bar? Read?

I could never drink at a bar as I would get bored as hell unless there was pinball there or someone to talk to.

#7580 1 year ago

in Canada there are lots of spoof commercials towards males questioning women about eating eggs.

I have no idea what this means.

#7595 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I gave up on trying to keep a beer count. I would need the WWII wind walker code breakers to figure out the actual total. GWJ is being more cryptic than ever on the numbers.

That's good.

#7603 1 year ago

Yes everything is going as planned.

#7647 1 year ago

Got a deal on a picnic pack, no tax, & $3 off. Meals for the day, already had the mac salad, roll, & some coleslaw. Pop machine is turned on. Had my piece with breadcrumbs or not, on the Deeproot thread.
    In the past I have stated that American Pinball should buy out Dutch Pinball, & get all those owed games (EA's) finished quickly. Would expand American Pinball, to be a even bigger player. As for Deeproot Pinball IP, another good source or base for games if they get it or work with who ever gets it. If Chris Turner gets it, do a deal with him & he can avoid all the pitfalls with manufacturing pinball machines.
    [quoted image]

That "meal" looks horrible. I'd stick with the pepperoni sticks and hot dogs. At least they have preservatives.

#7660 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

McRib says hold my beer.....[quoted image]

Probably as good for you as real hockey pucks.

#7723 1 year ago

I have no idea what the whole breadcrumbs thing means. Obviously I'm not in the loop, but that's ok. Going for a 3 hour hike down in Orlando then hitting the Halloween decorations in Celebration. Life is good.

John - the pigeons story in interesting and significant.

#7737 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Nowhere do I see $4K in parts and boards.

Yeah, but the pop machine is full.

#7756 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I am almost three years into my home brew. Currently wiring the second iteration of white wood. Things are pretty physically finalized but I’ve got code, sound, and animations ahead of me. I’d estimate that I’m 50% of the way there. I can only spare a few hours a week to the project which is about the pace this project is going so I’d predict if this ever gets finished it will be six years from now. You guys gunna stick it out?

That sounds about right, based on his pf speed (historical trend) and his current work ethic.

#7915 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

So lets play this one out.
    Doctor asks how many drinks he has and John answers, about 10 beers every day (low average imo) or 70 to 80 a week.
    Unless the doctor is Hunter S. Thompson, I just don't see him patting John on the head and saying atta boy.

But he hasn't been able to walk for some time -and the surgery isn't scheduled until next year (I think I read that from 100 pages ago). Even then - has he been scoped? I doubt it.

#7933 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I mentioned it before, but my wife is a family medicine doctor who sees a lot of alcoholics.
    By the point your doctor needs to have a serious conversation, it’s probably too late because massive damage has already been done
    She was telling me about a lady who kept calling due to stomach pain and rapid weight gain. Classic symptom of liver failure. They pumped twenty pounds of fluid from her abdomen. She still won’t stop drinking…
    Doctors know some people aren’t going to change and don’t waste their valuable time on the ones that aren’t serious about making a change. It’s patch them up and see them again later in a few weeks.

But if he can skip beer for 4 days until his next check arrives, he can change his behavior, and get to putting in 10 hours on the build. Hate to see people destroy themselves.

#8036 1 year ago

A salad and blueberries? Progress.

#8115 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Joking or not, that's a troubling thing to say.
    John's wife is a saint.

John just said she's a bestie. Either way, she's sauced most of the day from the sound of it but drinking bud light and eating frozen TV dinners will do that to anyone.

#8119 1 year ago

This feels like a bad price for such crap beer.

They must spend 25% of their monthly income on beer with those prices!

#8127 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:Don’t forget the price is Canadian pesos.
    And there are a lot of taxes built into the price — https://industry.beercanada.com/sites/default/files/beer_taxes_a_canadian_-_us_comparison_report_final_-_e.pdf

Wow - talk about a tax that hits the poor. Hits them hardest when wealthy people can easily afford it.

#8141 1 year ago

Bacon was good. I break the wooden sticks on cotton swabs that we use at the shop for cleaning, & paper towel. Windex on standby for cleaning. Got myself a poppy today, & talked with the retired vet. Told me before Covid a guy took off with the donation can, & he was able to get it back. Also on my jaywalking to the bus stop, guy my age with a steel coffee cup, & walking cane. Panhandling down the 3 lane boulevard walked better (normal) compared to myself with hip & feet problems. Got to see more homeless people living in tents & wooden shacks in a tiny park. Our stupid City was building a brand new wooden deck walkway next to the guys shack (friendly young guy I said hello to). Contractors were happy to get this job which use to be a dirt pathway with rocks. I can see the nightmare this winter season or frost on a multi level deck walkway.

I use that griddle quite a bit. Don't use Windex, just soap and water is fine and healthy.

#8147 1 year ago

I have no idea about the wooden sticks comment... but I believe John is referring to a red poppy (flower) which is a symbol of sacrifice by veterans.

I think you are right.

#8155 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I just use dish soap and water like a rational person. If it’s cast iron I finish with a paper towel dipped in oil to prevent rust.

I don't think they have soap at the shop....but they do have a full pop machine.

#8175 1 year ago

yeah - a facemask is a hell of lifesaver and cheap too.

#8188 1 year ago

Apprentice has survived the epoxy, sanding with out a mask, power tools, & hand tools. He is on his own as a independent contractor for his own health & safety.

If he is your apprentice, you are responsible for his safety.

#8204 1 year ago

Ice only supplied $400 US. The rest is me restocking. He is not my apprentice, & he is signing into pinside so please be kind! A place for him to work, & get some advice from me & the locals. Ate healthy for supper except the 7 strips of bacon. Used butter for the grill for the parsnip, tasety!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You referenced to him as your apprentice in post 8186 and 8171.

And we are being kind by trying to prevent him from getting injured, or face a long term illnesses.

#8285 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Then it really isnt "FREE" is it? Bottom line, you pay for it somehow.

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I just said people should be nice to each other and suggested that everyone doesn't live by your guy's high moral standards.

Standards are set for a reason. Without them, there is no society.

What exactly does "be nice" mean?

#8309 1 year ago

John - is the build still on plan?

#8367 1 year ago

. She has more important things to do like keeping a eye on her Bud supply in the fridge, & picking up a few tall boy cans if she thinks that I fail to get a suitcase.

And that's called "living" right there.

#8411 1 year ago

So - like is the talent pool for strippers pretty good in Halifax?

#8449 1 year ago

This childish back and forth needs to stop.

#8460 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

You may want to originate a thread topic for all of Pinside.
    This is the Seinfeld/Encyclopedia thread. Its about everything and nothing.

I get it, but c'mon - this has been going on for pages now - and it needs to stop. It adds no value whatsoever, and takes away from the general lightheartness of the thread.

#8471 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Are you and I going back and forth now?
    Just kidding Methos,. You're a good guy and I will not dispute your point.
    FYI. I was trying to keep it light with my Seinfeld/ Encyclopedia comment.
    All good my GB Packers friend.

LOL! I guess we are.

We need more updates from John - I look forward to them each week - and I think (could be wrong) but we're seeing progress in more than just the game build.

#8675 1 year ago

I have the freedom as captain to steer the ship as I see fit. Might crash on the rocks or sink (die), but the voyage has just started.

The Voyage is about a third of the way through isn't it?

#8702 1 year ago

Just got home from Brew HQ, & the social. Got the pinballs geared up for the public open house 9 - 5 pm on Saturday. I will likely spend a chunk of my day 11 am on, drinking fresh beer & eating hot dogs, Sunday I will play the local tournament at the barcade.

That's a hell of a weekend. Kudos to you for making every day count.

#8782 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Some of the negativity you see today are from the scars of the past who have already rode this bus before. All the beer counts along with the detailed waste of time is almost thumbing his nose at those from his past who remember a different version of history than John keeps bringing up…

This!

#8800 1 year ago

Can someone more literary provide comparison references for John's writing (style and content)? He artfully paints a picture of world that feels familiar but I can't place to say "it reminds me of Author X or Y."

Kinda reminds me of Hunter Thompson.

#8815 1 year ago

Had a long walk to the recycler since our bus system does not want bags of crap on them. Last night someone puked on the chair behind the bus driver, & everyone could not wait to get off the bus & use the back door. My wife seemed to be enjoying her beer fighting her cold, likely 6 - 8. Got some more food for later today, & finished my Chicken picnic plate for brunch (3 meals). Got another long walk back to the workshop, & passed some bums sleeping remains. They were gone from near the cell tower, & sleeping next to a big puddle.

I have to get up to Halifax. It sounds like paradise.

#8916 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Please do not do this. The GWJ chronicles must continue.
    How else are we to know which of the rabid crows gets the last dry end of the TNT pepperoni? Or the winner of the scrap-up at the Salvation Army? Or know about the bed bug infested immigrants? The mean streets of Halifax must continue to come to life through you, John!
    Plus you have yet to share the murder story from days of yore...

Where are the weekly summaries?

#8920 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

They are time consuming and I have been quite busy with work. IF things slow down I will continue with the weekly or possibly bi-weekly summaries.

They were the highlights.

#8988 1 year ago

second hand smoke is ok.

That's exactly what the American Lung Association says as well.

#9033 1 year ago

Got home from the bar after 9 beers. Lost $35 mostly nickel betting. Some winners paid for 3 beers.

Just think what you could have accomplished during this time....even with the 9 beers from the pop machine....

#9074 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also vegan does not equal healthy. Oreos are vegan…

All healthy foods are vegan, but not all vegan foods are healthy.

#9077 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

There are healthy non vegan foods, like grilled chicken or smoked salmon.

Neither are healthy, especially Chicken.

#9079 1 year ago
    Quoted from shirkle:

Explain, please.

I don't want to derail this thread - it just got back on track. Just PM me.

#9097 1 year ago

grass fed beef, eggs
    ----------------
    Animal sources of protein are much more complete and bioavailable, though with enough calories or attention to mixing plant protein isolates to get all the right amounts of the essential amino acids, it is possible to get what you need from a plant based diet. It will be tougher.

Eggs are extremely unhealthy. Eating just a few a week increases your risk of cancer, especially breast cancer. But...carry on.

#9099 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I mean this in a non-defensive, earnest way but I'd actually be interested in a vegan thread if you wanted to start one. I don't think this thread is the best avenue.

You are 100% correct, which is why I've been hesitant to keep commenting on the subject. But when I see inaccurate info, I can't help myself as the misinformation/PR deception on food is many times worse than that of the old tobacco company days.

Bottom line - if you are going to eat meat or dairy - be damn sure you load up on greens at the same meal - especially spinach as it blocks the inflammation impact.

I've got nothing on pre-boiled eggs.

#9103 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

This is how I tackled wiring up a game
    Populated mechs
    [quoted image]
    Switch wiring along the sides
    [quoted image]
    Central high voltage trunk that coils tie into
    [quoted image]

I've never done one from scratch, only pf swaps. However, I'm guessing inventing a new one is a major pain in the ass and takes time.

#9152 1 year ago

Rough start to the day. Avi has to wait outside in the cold until I arrive usually 10 am. Got a earlier bus & got to endure another crazy guy going off. On the hunt for his ugly fat girl friend & her mother. Said he wanted to harm or kill them. He got the boot from a previous bus driver from India for his crazy talk. Glad to see him go.
    [quoted image]

You live more in one hour than most of us do in a week.

#9157 1 year ago

Yes it looks like I need to step back from the frequent bar visits, & drink at the shop. 90 day timeline is almost here.

Too little too late. If you miss the deadline - at least you're on the path for taking the responsivity this time.

#9191 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

That best before date is merely a suggestion!

Until you get food poisoning, and then your life will never be the same.

#9192 1 year ago

John,

Since the project clearly won't be ready by your deadline (September 2022 - March 1, 2023 for Texas, SXSW & TPF) - what is the big revel going to happen?

#9211 1 year ago

Its lonely, like the Maytag repair guy. At least it has not moved, & no more of the negative count wires being ripped off. So 3 wires to one lug of each flipper. Got wait until Avi the apprentice goes home. He has stuff all over the place, slow learning curve on how to put stuff back, & a number of how to try to work safer today advice. Operator here all day working on his vid, & I am still trying to figure out Gottlieb Bowling Queen from hell.

So now it's Avi's fault that progress is slowed down to a death crawl?

#9225 1 year ago

Try not to piss on the dog out back, but he seems to enjoy the golden shower from another buddy.
    https://www.flippertechpinball.com/

Hmm....

#9238 1 year ago

Already had right foot surgery, & likely could do with left foot surgery. I have a bad right hip grinding away, since my surgery & retiring 2 years ago I feel much better. With free health care crisis going on in Canada. I will not get hip surgery until I cannot walk or likely die first. Same with left foot surgery.

Free health care sounds like the bomb.

#9263 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Makes one wonder if those rando crack heads and hookers wander in at lunchtime for a bit of grey ham and VHS porn?

Partytime!

Imagine the condition of the boxes....ugh.

#9284 1 year ago

Well I decided to call it a night, & not wire under the influence (9 beers). Bus ride home 2 cop cars next to the old shop, likely problems at the large apartment building. Used the can at the bus terminally after the cop & security guard escorted a regular homeless guy that sleeps & throws up there out. Walked to the liquor store to get the wife another suitcase of bud, & they were paying a cop to be in the store. One of the Trailer Park Boys film location for liquor robbery.

Another productive day.

#9286 1 year ago

I got many metal shops, powder coating, cabinet builder & finisher. Along with my contractors from the past. Along with many personal build skills that people do not believe.

Have we seen the build skills yet?

#9305 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

We had creek porn! We had a creek that ran past our property and we played there all the time as kids. Found porn quite frequently stashed in the bushes. Pages were frequently stuck together. Took for granted it was because of the weather. We were young and had no clue.

I may be missing something but how did porn get into bushes and a creek?

#9312 1 year ago

Ok. So I'm a happily married 25 year old male from Halifax. I love my porn for recreational uses, and to flip through during the lunch hour with the boys.

Why would I dump it in the woods or creek bed? If I didn't want it, wouldn't I just throw it away?

#9331 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

We would find a stash every couple years in boy scouts, doing Adopt-A-Highway cleanup style programs.

We have found the most bizare shit doing that. Our stretch is a state highway right before a small to medium sized WI town, and it's obvious that the last mile of rural road is a "final call" for booze bottles, weapons, and other contraband.

#9332 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

My doctor recommends that I walk more, think a nice walk in the woods will be a good place to start... who knows maybe I'll find something interesting!

Hopfully not a body. Happens all the time.

#9377 1 year ago

John

You owe us nothing. The only one you are accountable to is Ice. However, I went back and thread the first few pages on this thread, and you were begging for a investors....multiple posts each day from you.

You never got one, but did get a mini whale. I'm curious.

If you did say find someone who was willing to invest 100k in a game, would the plan for the build have been the same, or has things changed with just Ice's 10k?

#9379 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Its not depressing. Its mildly frustrating that many of us pointed out from the beginning that the timeline was overly ambitious and GWJ refuted us every time.

And that was before we saw the work ethic in play.

#9392 1 year ago

Operator sounds like an ass.

#9424 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

The "half-way" update will come tomorrow. This thread makes me feel like I've been drinking even when I haven't.

It's actually depressing as hell.

#9444 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Motivation for Avi and the operator to stay the heck away.

Porn was meant to be share with other men during the lunch hour.

#9461 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

3 month summary update.
    The topics started getting a little more intimate since the last update... parental guidance is suggested.
    -He hot wired a safety switch on the cheap electric heater, what could go wrong?
    -He identified people born in 1965 as heavy drinkers. His year, 1964 was apparently a vastly different culture.
    -He admitted years ago he had an edible before a pinball tourney and had to withdraw from competition, and now only imbibes in second hand weed smoke.
    -He went to the dive bar and found a sliver of cue chalk for playing on the poor quality pool tables for free. Oh, and a hooker was in the bathroom.
    -While musing if the pretty hookers on the street were undercover cops, he shared the story of a guy last year that drove a boat looking for hookers. He would pick them up by the old shop. Unsure if the boat was in the water at the time. FYI the old shop now sells appliances if anyone is in the market for such a device.
    -He put a good pounding on the bus glass as it pulled away without him. Because Halifax has "little public toilets" he pissed on a fence and again on a tree next to the navel base. Apparently Canada has tiny toilets, probably related to their conversion to metric.
    -He rode a bus with a crazy guy looking for his ugly fat girlfriend and her mother to kill them. A bus driver from India previously gave him the boot. Apparently this crazy guy gets around.
    -He threw more crap meat under a car, for a lone crow. Assuming the space under parked cars is the Canadian equivalent of a trash can.
    -the broke BMW guy made his entrance into the thread eating drinking and using the shop all for free. He ripped the oreo package so it couldn't be resealed, which really set off GWJ. His name is Richard, which is fitting since he seems like a Dick.
    -After the revelation of mid-day VHS porn parties, he stated he does not jack off at the shop as his wife takes care of his needs. (As long he as refrains from farting. He slipped one in the other night and she was not impressed, probably smelled like funeral sandwiches and despair. Coming from someone who eats hard boiled eggs all the time, this says a LOT)
    -He was targeted by a religious nut trying to save GWJ from hell as he was going to buy cotton swabs, tissues, and beer. Probably an honest mistake.
    -After getting a cold and wiring the whitewood while watching VHS porn, he admitted March 1 2023 may not happen.
    -while working on Jungle Queen, he lost screws, Avi stripped a screw, and GWJ showed him how to lay down a towel. He then cleaned up a sticky pop bumper. Not sure if those are all breadcrumbs or if the porn collection is responsible
    -Mechs on the whitewood are nearly all wired. The wires arent connected to anything yet, but it is... progress.
    These updates are getting very difficult, yikes.
    -

Bravo.

I know it became impossible to track, but I miss the beer count.

#9475 1 year ago

Mr BMW does not want his picture taken ever again,

I'm sure he's wanted in a few other Provinces....

#9497 1 year ago

I am under the weather today with this head cold. Avi is trying his luck with new flipper coils & parts for Bowling Queen. A new learning curve, & I am a bit grumpy today.

Didn't you just have a cold a few weeks ago?

#9499 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

You want to see a perpetually sick dude? Go read the last 4 years of his playfield thread…

Oh I know - believe me.

#9522 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I think it has more to do with the financial arrangement. With the playfields a promised product was actually paid for in advance. Expectations were high. With this machine build nothing is concrete. A mech studded piece of paneling on a set of sawhorses could conceivably be called a success.
    He can afford to be dismissive of criticism and flippant about details because none of it matters. Whenever he decides whatever is good enough to turn in that’s it. Because it is just that. Good enough.
    It’s ingenious really. John gets to feed his ego and scratch that eternal itch of being a player in the world of commercial pinball. Ice will acquire the most uniquely unobtainable pinball machine in existence. And of course the peanut gallery gets to hoot and holler the whole way along. In the end everybody wins.

Agreed. We didn’t have the stream of consciousness in the pf thread, but he held his pool job. I think after his retirement, the beer increased substantially and his attitude is now....fuck it.

#9553 1 year ago
    Quoted from ElectricLou:

It’s clear now that nobody’s here for the built but only enjoying the slow crash of John.
    Pretty sure Im not the only one having this thread on speed dial as soon as I log in.
    Might be the only thing that makes us laugh after these prices.
    Good luck

I as well but was really hoping that he would have kicked in the ass a month ago. Now, he seems totally directionless and the thread is depressing.

#9564 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, but I think this thread rules and the build is thrilling.
    It's about the ride, not the destination.

At first that is what I thought, but now I'm not so sure.

Yes - we all come in and read the latest updates, beer count, discounted discolored food purchased, etc - but then we leave the computer go back to our luxurious lives/houses/cars/jobs, etc. Out of sight/out of mind.

And what is our entertainment? It's watching an elderly alcoholic couple with barley enough money to meet the next monthly pension check, with the main pleasure is numbing themselves daily and apart from each other as often as possible. Are they the only ones like this? Absolutely not - but it makes me feel guilty. John wasn't like this early on....is this all an act? IDK anymore.

#9598 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Panic is not one of your modes. If it was more would get done.

If it was, he would have finished the pfs instead of having someone else come in to finish the job.

#9609 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

You should have offered the customer the opportunity to put Motordome out of its misery and burn it for firewood. Not all pins deserve to survive. Motordome doesn’t.

Agreed. This pin isn't worth the time and effort. Why not give it to Mr. BMW as a trade for his in pieces IJ?

#9632 1 year ago

You got to have a little faith. Just like kids waiting for xmas. Had the mac & cheese at the bus stop. Food for the day plus my kale salad remains. Avi had a couple of cinnamon donuts along with myself yesterday. Another mild & wet day. Shop seems to be better with Mr BMW playfield gone, still the monster Drag Race still here, & he did not bust a move on my beer or to bring some. Plan on doing more wiring later today. Motordome goes Friday. Easy as ___ ______ _______ (breadcrumb).
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job on the Sweet Potatoes. Consume them or Kale every day and you're back in the game.

#9633 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Watch Avi have this thing flipping in two days…

Is Avi getting paid by the Operator?

#9651 1 year ago

Got my supper coking & relaxing to some classic VHS porn, even has the crap lines going on from worn out tape.
    [quoted image]

I can't wait to retire.

#9688 1 year ago

Still have just under 50% build time to see what can happen, or not. No great panic here, or by the coach going on vacation.
    [quoted image]

I'm amazed at how you were hell bent for leather at the beginning of this thread to find a patron. Now - it's like you couldn't be bothered to even look at this bar table.

#9694 1 year ago

The plan is still working. Home & Avi is likely on his way also. The locals wanted to load the whitewood with empty beer bottles. It may still come to that. Does not matter not a finished playfield. Spills do not matter.

Load it up.....f$%K it - who cares.

#9706 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Working flippers by Christmas. Can someone pls let me know a post # showing what there will be to shoot at? Went back three pages, didn’t see anything.

The plan is to have a shooting whitewood by Christmas. Then the entire package (pf, mechs, wiring, art, rule set, programing, etc) will be completed in 90 days and showcased at the Texas show.

There it will be showcased to go into production with a manufacturer for a larger run - well maybe - maybe not.

#9729 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

If nothing else, the art is stunning!
    [quoted image]

We need a TV running classic porn in the background.

#9750 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

My observation is that John is very linear in his work and organization. Judging from this project, I see little evidence of multitasking from him. So if one team member is delayed, it would cause a log jam.

Spot on. We saw this with the pf debacle.

#9763 1 year ago

Had 9 beers at 3 bars Sunday night, & still got this bad cold going on just like everyone else. Not feeling the best

Wonder if that's a cause and effect situation?

Hope you feel better soon.

#9773 1 year ago

Beer count for the day was zero. Operator was in a good mood, even with me moving Avi's vid into his area. Move it back Tuesday.

What was the food intake for the day?

#9794 1 year ago

Most days! Feeling better beer #6

Back in business!

#9808 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I'm surprised it's not IN Olands brewery.

Isn't barber services part of the free national health care plan?

#9811 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Texas is now up in the air? When did that shift happen?

I think this is the second confirmation. There was some uncertainty a few pages ago.

#9890 1 year ago

Rare to get a photo of him. Celebrate with beers![quoted image][quoted image]

He has shifty eyes. Just sayin....

#9897 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

I think it's a worldwide thing generally if you're dealing with someone that drives at BMW, you already know what you're in for.

Especially in Halifax.

#9935 1 year ago

. I did not go near the fridge after my second beer in the afternoon. He got the munchies & got chips & dip from the fridge. .

Is he doing edibles in the shop, or is it a free smoke zone?

#9974 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

There's only 1 week left for your goal of a flipping Whitewood. As someone who has taught business organization, my recommendation would be to split it up into achieving small tasks each day towards that goal.
    I truly hope you can get there.

Next you'll be suggesting he get a crockpot to aid in eating healthier and cheaper.

#9985 1 year ago

My wife is going on 3 weeks. Lots of sick people all around. Still not a alcoholic, but think what you want.

That's what most alcoholics say. Trust me - you are an alcoholic.

#10019 1 year ago

I feel like he needs to put more money into beer funds than the pinball funds the way progress is happening

Ice could have put those funds to someone else (i.e. others on this thread) and he would have a real game being constructed. Not sure why he choose this dead end avenue, but the entertainment is definitely a by product.

#10024 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Well, I for one, am really pleased that Iceman is doing it this way.

That is why I'm not convinced that this isn't a "Truman Show" endeavor. The real build is happening behind closed doors and we only see the ruse. GWJ's daily montage is becoming stale as well. We've seen the same chicken platter with (what looks like) mac and cheese, potatoes, muffin, coleslaw about 7 times if my memory is accurate.

Something is up Ice's sleeve.

#10043 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

John sought a second opinion. His new doctor isn’t worried about it. Having been born and raised there he understands John drinks less than most in Halifax. His old doctor probably passed despite his “healthy lifestyle”. That or he moved back to Toronto taking his unwanted progressive ideas about alcohol consumption with him.

GWJ has dropped some hints. I believe he knows what his true health condition is....he just doesn't care and is going out having fun.

#10064 1 year ago

. A tradition for me & some others is to go to the bars to drink before they close before supper on xmas eve. So a few of us will continue on the tradition.

And that's different from any other night how?

#10066 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

they listen to Christmas music, wear funny hats, and call it a night before dinner

GWJ was hell bent for leather on making a Stern-like pin. He gets his chance, and then just blows it all to hell for all to see, eliminating any future employer or patron to hire him.

Sad.

#10102 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

The opposite.
    Jon would be very familiar with the story of how Premier/Gottlieb pushed games to market in like 90 days in the 90s. Because he was there!
    That’s the whole game - from napkin sketch to production floor - in 90 days. One was done in 5 weeks!
    This has been over 90 days, and we have 20 old wires on a scrap piece of wood. Again .. I’m not being mean! Just how it is.
    rd
    The interview: https://www.papinball.com/Jon_Norris_Interview.html

C'mon Dave - don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

#10154 1 year ago

I'm calling it - flipping whitewood by TPF.

Nothing else.....

#10172 1 year ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Why not work on the missing posts/rubbers and ball guides while you wait for the boards to show up?

Are you new?

That is not the plan.

#10187 1 year ago

Yes! Not part of the plan though!

Well - the plan is in the dump so no one really knows what the plan is.

#10228 1 year ago

Maybe not. Think I can scrap together a cabinet myself with the few skills I have. Just got a call that I am still in the running to get a Fulltime Electronics Apprentice for up to 2+ months in January. Job placement, or just experience. I was talking with the guy this Fall before Avi came to get some experience at the workshop. Waiting on a meeting or call from the sponsor to fully pay for the internship.

John - you could have gotten close to getting game together. So many people on this thread were pulling for you and offering advice. Instead, you just drank and gambled your time away... literally.

You owe us nothing of course, but we're disappointed not that you don't have the game together or even close, but that you mismanaged your time and your priorities are ass backward.

It's not too late to pull it together. Can you stop drinking long enough to make that happen?

#10235 1 year ago

& not giving up beer drinking.

So your beer drinking is more important that the project. Got it.

#10247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

The problem is.. John has demonstrated not being able to do a list or timeline, which is the FIRST thing that should have been done back in July or whatever when he decided to shoot for a TPF deadline. The very first and most basic thing of managing a project with a target date.
    This all made more sense after I flipped thru the playfield thread.. skimming the 52 pages was enough to get the point -- some people who preordered we're emailing him up to 13 times with their info because he kept losing it. Someone on the thread had to create and maintain spreadsheet for him and try to document who ordered what and paid when. All over 8 years... 8 YEARS!!! It was just as bad/worse than Jpop.

He should have never been in a position to sell or take any $. He should have just produced a product and relied on someone else for distribution. Then it would have worked out much better for all.

#10258 1 year ago

Beer total 9 today.

Not bad for hump day.

#10272 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

You seem very clear about that but I'm not sure I agree. John's posting history, his 8 year playfield odyssey, the self-reported stories of his work life, the literal photographic evidence we have in this thread of consuming meats grilled beside toxic chemicals... maybe we're looking at the best he can do. There's never been a hint of anything else.

I agree. Back in the day he might have had some better skills and organization, but clearly the PF debacle and this shite show have show otherwise. I hate to type this because he reads this, but there are people busting their ass on the projects, homebrews, and rethemes. That's where Ice should re-route his $.

#10273 1 year ago

I fell getting out of my chair by the knee rest hitting the huge expansion joint in the floor. Landed on my right elbow. That was after the 7 beers at the local bar. Decided I needed some Guinness Beer & entertainment to finish the night. Took the bus & walked to the ferry. Had a leak in the cemetery overlooking the harbor.

You are living like I did when I was in college.

#10277 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

If what you are about to say doesn’t elevate the person you are saying it to, try thinking instead.

That would insinuate we don't hold each other accountable.

yeah...nah.

#10282 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You insinuate all you want. He doesn't owe you anything but the same amount of respect you show him. Nothing more. Merry x-mas.

You are correct that he doesn't owe us anything. Merry Christmas to you as well.

#10296 1 year ago

so you fell down drunk which told you that you needed more beer?

But he is not an alcoholic.

#10339 1 year ago

My beer drinking is like 2 or more people.

Can anybody translate?

#10347 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

Dang GWJ that place looks nice... not at all what my mental picture of the place you hang out would look like.
    I have never considered going to Halifax in my life but if I ever make it there I would love to try and go bar hopping with you... but I have to say up front I doubt I could maintain your pace... .

I couldn't see any of the Nickle tabs machines anywhere.....

#10373 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

This holiday season, please consider giving to those in need!

The end had me laughing out loud. Nice.

#10383 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Great news John! Now that you have all the boards, maybe you will get it flipping by the end of the month.

He just said the pop machine is loaded. What do you think?

#10392 1 year ago

There is still interest, & other mini whales ready to join the circus down the road.

I call BS on this statement.

#10417 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Who would be interested in throwing 20 bucks each into a pool for when we have a flipping white wood working?

I am in as well - but as others have stated we have to set parameters on what a flipping white wood is. I would lean to say the pf must be fully functioning and not just flippers batting a ball around with other guilerails or components missing.

#10452 1 year ago

Now this I can get into. With Avi's work ethic and openness to advice, 10x better chance a game actually gets made.

Agreed. It will be like ATC trying to get a non pilot to get the plane on the ground but it can be done.

#10471 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

This thread reminds me of the ten commandments with Moses (Coach) coming down the Mountain to address the Pagans.
    When will this happen?

It wasn't the "Pagans", but the Israelites who had turned against God after being freed out of Egypt. And it didn't end well for some of them....

Just sayin....

#10473 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Noted. I thought Moses said “your pagan god” ,in the movie version, could be wrong though .

Ah - got ya - I think you're correct.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Any progress yesterday John?

#10481 1 year ago

Yes the whitewood is moved to a new holiday location for possible work or not. My right hand is hurting bad after the fall, had a hard time lifting the whitewood on to the sawhorses. Amazing since my hands never feel that bad pounding on pinball glass or buses all these years. Beer total Friday was 12, & I just got back to the workshop after xmas eve traditional drinker with some local pinball friends. Shared some fried pepperoni as a app & had the steak & fries for a late lunch. Went to the old school smaller beer or draft glasses to bring back fond memories of getting the bar tender to drop a big tray of beer in the eighties. So beer count today is 3.5 (7 small). My area is my area that I work for & Avi is safe there to work as long as he does not piss off the operator. I will help Avi as much as he wants, & suggested he stay with the original Jon Norris design. Tonight I will have the smoked salmon, likely more beers, & then go home to see my wife. She was not impressed with the lack of sexual performance after 12 beers, maybe I will do better or not xmas eve.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

John

Nice job getting brussel sprouts for lunch - great choice. Your hand is likely swollen or possibly broken. Drinking 12 beers and hitting another round the following day isn't going to help it.

#10484 1 year ago

Beer in Canada is usually 5% for standard cans or bottles.

How do you keep track? When I drank too much - it would take effort and lots of guessing to get past 5. You must write them down.

#10496 1 year ago

Merry Christmas to all.

#10538 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

GWJ has taken 0 input from anyone.. and to your chagrin, apparently you as well.
    Have you actually followed along?? None of this should be a surprise to you.

John likely should have had the reins held a bit tighter. On his own - he's a hot mess but it's probably too late at this point.

So where does this go from here? Hope it continues in some manner.

#10586 1 year ago

Why would I list the pinball parts & beer donations here. Pictures posted daily & Avi seems like he would like to record the circus going on at the shop. I will continue on with the build of my interpretation of the Jon Norris 3 spinners myself. All the parts & what ever is done, Doug can decide by early March. The way things are going maybe my project (flipping whitewood) will be what you see here or not for TPF 2023. The parts & electronics will remain with my whitewood which the coach has paid for. BMW still next to the building, & Mr BMW got his new job starting in 2 weeks. Another vid cabinet rescued from a storage unit, & bought by the operator. Will get new glass doors, & new marque installed. Other things I do to pay my share of the workshop & power.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Somebody gave you the chance to steer the ship around, and you blew it.

It isn't Ice's fault, Avi, or anyone else. You had the opportunity and you failed. Sorry for being so blunt here, but it's been painful watching this unfold for months now with your poor work ethic.

#10595 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The treatment of John is disgusting and partially why I wanted to give him a chance.
    He just doesn’t seem to care however

Yes it started pretty poor for him at the beginning. Some here were really verbally harassing him. I'm surprised they were not moderated due to their failing to "be nice".

However, the few times John started to make progress, 95% of the people here were jumping in, offering encouragement, support, advice, and generally getting behind GWJ.

Then it went to pot once John showed his lack of interest.

#10601 1 year ago

While we are being blunt, his lifestyle is not condusive to a good work ethic. He spent more time on planning his next drink than the project at hand. He has a great heart and possibly some unrevealed skills, but difficult to utilize them to their fullest with his life choices that he seems proud of. I have never know someone to talk about their obsessive drinking like a badge of honor as does GWJ.

Agree. The drinking has blunted all his skills at this point - as most of us here who have a history with partaking too much at times in our lives can attest to.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.