Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#406 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

now actively expanding the hunt to Canada & the World.

Should have started there. Why limit yourself?

#423 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I doubt either that person or John has actual rights to use TPB in a commercial venture. There is a big difference between asking to make a one-off fan-made game (which by the way doesn't need permission) and obtaining a license to make a commercial game. If the guy on VPforums is making a game for himself, no harm, no foul. But John is taking (er asking for) money to make his which means he better have a legit license to make a game...which I seriously doubt he has.

Reminds me of how Skit-B thought making a 1-off of Predator was the same as selling 250.

#560 1 year ago

There's no "if it dies" because this investment is SOLID AS A ROCK.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #855 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I put my own skin in the game and made it work.

That's one thing I learned from the jpop fiasco - I'll never be part of something again when that person has no skin in the game.

#962 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I'm amazed this thread is still marching on...

I want to see it keep marching till TPF.

#1041 1 year ago

As the story goes, Jpop tricked American Pinball into starting a company and they never saw the big thread on Pinside and had no idea who they got into business with, so anything can happen.

#1414 1 year ago

My union members decided on a 7 year contract at 1.35% My employer saw fit for over 20 years previous to offer 2 & 1.5% a year. Every year working you made less real money. The last 15 years I was micro managed to death, had a junior co worker promoted with 10% more pay with much less work, & had other negative things done to me.

There's a lot of victimhood in that story. The world and your bosses and your fellow union members weren't conspiring against you to hold you down and make your life terrible. That co-worker wasn't given a 10% raise to make you a victim. This thread makes it abundantly clear why someone might need to micromanage you, and yet kept you employed for decades of employment. I regularly challenge my thinking by asking "What did I do that caused this?" and the answer to that can be painful sometimes, but always makes me better for asking it.

#1449 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

You should be doing a GoFundMe or such. "Help a retired pinball fan realize his dream of building his own game" Then get some friends together and build it at this workshop you mention.

Ben was onto something...

Quoted from DBLM:

If you PM your PayPal address I would like to send you some cash for a round of drinks on me for you and your friends as an apology, if you will accept it. In addition, I will join vdojaq and LORDDREK in their $500 sponsorship

#1727 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

John. Set up a GoFundMe.

I'm in as well.

1 week later
    #2173 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I for one would still support John doing a TPB pin.

Me too. A homebrew one-off. And if the thing takes TPF by storm he can have his conversation with the person who's name rhymes with Smavid Shmix about what next steps are.

#2430 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I am no conspiracy theorist.....but to have received a C&D letter, I have to believe that some asshole copied some of John's posts and his intentions and sent them off to the license holders for review. If John is claiming that he never got in touch with any of the boys, then how in the hell would they have known that was what he wanted to do and ultimately fire off a C&D? No one fires off a C&D for an interest or inquiry.

Something smells extremely foul here. That is some low shit.

My read is they're responding ONLY to John. He even told them he was trying to reach "the Boys". Quote below is what he posted about what he sent the person:

Deadline is now 1 week. If not I move on to another title. I continue to reach out to the boys also. But your response sounds negative. On a strict build program for SXSW & TPF show in Texas March 2023.

We know from what's been stated by others in this thread about how licenses normally go, and their time frames, that John was saying nothing like that to them, and talking about 1 week deadlines, and ready to start a build, and shows he was going to bring it to.

I don't see how they could respond in any other way than "shut it down".

#2438 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

GWJ, do you not see the issues with your response? This is a business you were talking to, not a bunch of nerds on a forum.

1. Threatening them with a deadline is unprofessional and ineffective.

2. You said you "continue" to reach out to the boys. That is a present tense of what you are doing. What is she supposed to think? That you aren't? That is basically telling this woman that you are going behind her back, her job, to secure the license.

3. Telling her she sounds negative... that is like telling a woman she is being grumpy. Bad decision.

4. Do you think she cares what your timeline is? Do you think she wants to be rushed into a decision? Do you think she knows what a bunch of pinball/amusement acronyms are?

This is why people hire lawyers to negotiate such things. Tens of thousands of dollars (US) and that is if it is a simple process, just for lawyers.

I'd be curious to compare GWJ's licensing inquiry with how a proven professional like Roger Sharpe does it.

#3120 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

But I got free time to kill and those ideas pour out of my mind faster than John pours himself beers

Are you sure about that?

#3375 1 year ago

Plus our Canadian dollar is poor.

But the game was priced at $10k US, not $10k Canadian. So it's a wash.

#3556 1 year ago

2000 was still early in the no-smoking laws. I re-watched Jackie Brown recently, which is from 1997, and they're smoking in the mall and food court.

Times have changed, and it sucks for that to be the reason to leave your chosen industry and career.

The deeproot debacle must have been bitter as well, thinking it was one thing when it was another.

#4147 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

"Benefit of the doubt" has cost this hobby MILLIONS.

That and "keep the faith".

#4251 1 year ago

John seems willing and wanting to share all the minutiae of the build including every part that he orders and shows up, so as an observer I vote to keep this thread open, please.

1 week later
    #4881 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Enjoy the long weekend, John.

I am amused that the countdown to starting work kicked off into a Holiday weekend with no work.

#4925 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

It is kinda early.

Atlantic time is 1 hour ahead of Eastern so it's only 10am-ish there .

#4950 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Hence, we already have our first snag in the process.....

Totally not John's fault!

#5204 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Go back about 50 pages, you are late to the party
    Numeric or possibly alpha numeric

I think we'll be lucky with postit notes for scoring by Texas.

#5246 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Redneck Riviera, Trailer Trash or whatever, this thread is living up to its name.

I'm actually disappointed I didn't get to be part of a gofundme because, hot damn, this is an entertaining thread.

#5249 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

No one did. He turned down free money because he didn't understand how it works. But Coach kept the dream alive!

Oh, I'm very familiar with the "why" the gofundme didn't happen. Big up to Ice!

#5419 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Well, my enthusiasm for this project just sank about 4 fathoms.

There was definitely opportunity for this pin to be full-on GWJ. The material is all on this thread.

#5730 1 year ago
    Quoted from steve-o:

The hat is back.
    [quoted image]

I'm grateful to Ice for funding this fever dream and giving us all this entertainment, and boy am I going to mourn the loss of what this game could have been as it switches themes.

#5791 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

define "fully operating whitewood" and I could be interested in a charity bet
    Is it just major mechanisms in place and technically functional (slings sling, flippers flip, pops pop, drops un-drop, etc) with some posts, rubbers, and other ball guides? I don't think that's undoable in the next six-ish weeks
    edit although I say this and I'm not positive if John ever got an order in on a pinball controller like P3 or Fast

6bucks (resized).jpg6bucks (resized).jpg
    #5994 1 year ago

I did not blame Fast Pinball for sabotaging

holy crap, dude, the world isn't out to get you.

#6039 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

If so , a probability loss of power.

All the momentum he's built up on the pin will be lost.

#6052 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Got it. The good news is if you set aside $1 USD per week starting now you'll be good to go well in advance of next year's renewal.

Pinside only connected him with a single $10k mini whale, you're asking for too much.

#6142 1 year ago

I found the trailer for the unfinished Rick Stetta documentary:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uip22

#6158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Manhattan:

That trailer was put together really well. I really enjoyed watching that. Good editing with intriguing characters and a great soundtrack. Thanks Frolic.

I remember when that trailer first showed up years ago, it was my first introduction to Rick Stetta and I really wanted to see what would come of it. Too bad nothing did and I guess Rick didn't get his comeback that he wanted, although I think a documentary can still create a compelling story even without a "rocky" type ending.

#6354 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I'm amazed that he had an entire month of downtime built into the plan, as nothing has been accomplished during month #1.

Everything is still on schedule for Texas in March 2023.

Phew, was worried for a second.

#6408 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

According to him it was delays that were not of his doing

Get ready for that "Greatest Hit" to be dusted off and put into high rotation soon enough.

#6422 1 year ago

I do believe that Ice knows exactly what he's gotten himself into, and he himself is not repeating TPF 2023 deadlines.

This thread is endlessly entertaining, and I thank Ice for making that possible .

#6463 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I am disappointed that my suggestion to look elsewhere for pinball controllers (so that you could have a better shot at your scheduled goal) is being twisted into a big conspiracy.

Best I can tell there's a conspiracy between you, the Haggis guys, the Trailer Park Boys agent, UPS sending packages to the wrong address, Greatwichjohn's former boss, and that asskisser that got promoted ahead of him at the city. A clear case of collusion if I ever saw one.

Listen all y'all, it's a sabotage.

#6495 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Trying to go back to the fun of homebrew and not the conspiracy side, I suggest a magnet by the right spinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing your continued process.

#6633 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Oct 8th. No work in this machine at all in Oct so far?

See you in a month for the same question.

#6867 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Mr Norris says that’s last issue.

Are you sure about that? Because another VERY FAMOUS pinball designer says that's the "first issue" .

#6892 1 year ago

or this. This is still called a hot dog.

#6894 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Believe me, I’m super chill and enjoying the GWJ adventure.

Quoting this for emphasis.

The TPF deadline is what is making people insane. But if this thread simply turned into a deadline free homebrew build, it would die off as well. lol.

#6988 1 year ago

Amazing how quiet this thread gets without beer and pepperoni.

#7094 1 year ago

I feel like the end of the movie was just shown to us.

#7123 1 year ago

Kind of wild to imagine had GWJ gotten his $100k "Whale" we would be in the exact same place.

1 month later
    #9702 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Will there be an update tomorrow? Maybe. Not sure how many really want it?
    It's a lot of work. I need to know it's worth it before I waste my time.

All your summaries should be set as key posts. They are some of the most important of the entire thread.

1 week later
    #10263 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Because this is clearly not the best he can do…

You seem very clear about that but I'm not sure I agree. John's posting history, his 8 year playfield odyssey, the self-reported stories of his work life, the literal photographic evidence we have in this thread of consuming meats grilled beside toxic chemicals... maybe we're looking at the best he can do. There's never been a hint of anything else.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frolic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=frolic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.