Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#86 1 year ago

I think this whole thing is some kind of meta-narrative.

Rather than going after one big investor, let's instead go after lots of little investors.....

#109 1 year ago

Too early to ask for a piss jug sculpt?

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Already have it in the works. Same with all the beer & alcohol bottles, + weed!

Be careful what you wish for!

1 week later
    #734 1 year ago

I learned a new word today -- Femdschämen

2 weeks later
    #2043 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

Let's assume worst case scenario of September 1.... the suspense will be hard to take!

I think you meant “worst case Ontario”; some of us have our Grade 10 around here.

#2089 1 year ago

Why not get a job, earn 10K, and build a machine? Unemployment is at an all-time low, and you are only 58. Why do you need other people’s money to do this?

#2301 1 year ago

Does anyone really want an "adult sexy" Trailer Trash pinball machine? That oozes cringe.

TPB is successful because -- in spite of the foibles of the characters -- they are endearing and funny.

(My Fremdschämen is kicking in again.)

3 weeks later
    #4557 1 year ago

Wow, Nova Scotia's got some drinking to do to catch up!

I lived in Halifax for three years, love the place!

Nunavut is low -- a lot of dry communities.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4687 1 year ago

Most people don’t retire when they are 56 with a defined benefit pension! 23K USD per year represents quite a bit of money.

#4689 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Ummm... So... Hate to break this to you but...

Most people do not have enough saved to generate 30k Canadian in retirement income at that age. How much do you need for that —500K? 600K? That’s why people are working until 65+.

#4913 1 year ago

Can’t Staples print poster sized?

#4946 1 year ago

USB and sneakernet (i.e., you walk there with the USB stick)

#4976 1 year ago

Next week?? Here’s determination in the face of adversity.

#4979 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

BEFORE next week. Hopefully.

Worst case Ontario it’s next week.

#5027 1 year ago

I never knew printing these files would be rocket appliances. But then again I don't have my grade 10.

#5028 1 year ago

✓ beer
    ✓ pepperoni
    ✓ VLT gambling

I don't think we need a license...

#5147 1 year ago

Seeing a bing link -- now that makes me worried. You're not still running Windows XP are you John?

Or maybe that's like a street-level search engine.

#5161 1 year ago

When you get older, less likely you are bending over a lot. If you got any health issues you are lucky to walk without a cane or walker. People are getting lazy, lots of people using electric assisted everything. The young kids need to get more physical work outs.
    Even when I was younger & playing pinball for hours you got a work out. Standing up, shaking the game, & all the other good stuff. Like actually walking miles to the bowling alleys or arcades.

Pounding on playfield glass is a hell of a workout for those forearms!

#5250 1 year ago

6% of build time elapsed. Glad the build didn’t start early in those last lazy August days or we’d be way ahead of schedule by now.

#5278 1 year ago

John, how can we shoot you $20 for a day’s bacon supply? Do you have an email for e-transfer or PayPal?

#5284 1 year ago

[email protected] for paypal or e-transfers. On my way to the printer now to pay in advance for the black & white blue print. Thanks!

Sent a bit of dough for some fine bacon. Beechwood you should make this a Key Post!

#5286 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

The content of this thread and the "updates" of the project build reminds me a lot of this thread........
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-tom-issues-1

The journey is the reward.

#5289 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

John, do you use any seasoning on those pork chops? I'm a big time meat/grilling guy and I gotta say, so far all your cooks have really left me with a couple questions. Also what kind of bbq sauce do you like/use?

BBQ -- aged

#5426 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's only 11am and you want him crackin open beers?

12pm in Halifax!

#5489 1 year ago

Will this alter The Plan:

https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20220913002

Or not.

I saw the Queen when I lived in Nova Scotia!

#5640 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:Thought you already were along with others.

John starting to give as much as he gets! Enjoy the bacon $$ I sent you.

#5652 1 year ago

John, do you have a shear/brake/roll to create ball guides? Do you have access to welding equipment?

Or will this be handed off to a contractor.

#5720 1 year ago

Are we holding at three holes in the panel today?

Hope you feel better soon John.

1 week later
    #6201 1 year ago

Assume the programmer has started, no need to wait for a whitewood to start to code on the desired platform, figure out the wiring, etc.

#6205 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's hard for the programmer without a whitewood to iterate their code ideas on. What sounds good on paper may suck in practice.
    I think the wiring may give John some issues. It sounds like he is going P3-ROC which is a bit easier to wire (don't have to do a switch matrix or have autofire coils and switches on the same board), but you need to really think about how you route the wiring to minimize electromagnetic interference.

Does the programmer know MPF? I'm talking getting up to speed with the basics here.

#6208 1 year ago

I'm overthinking this. Need to trust the plan.

#6366 1 year ago

If it were me I'd get a cheap shear/brake/roll and hack up ball guides any way I could. Hell, I'd make them out of anything I could find to get a shooting whitewood going.

#6460 1 year ago

Haggis wasn’t building quickly enough! Oh the humanity.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-by-haggis-pinball?tq=&tu=Greatwichjohn

To be fair, John is showing how the sausage (or pepperoni) is made. Or not.

#6516 1 year ago

#6543 1 year ago

The mindset that this is a "build" is the problem. It is not just turning the screw, this is a project to create a pinball machine, not to build one.

#6636 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Looking for a metal fabricator now. It’s all according to plan.

Keep up, the fabricator is on vacation in Greece for a week.

No rush, the plan is working.

#6831 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, again, are you getting paid for your services? You obviously have great repair talent and should be getting paid for it.

Considering he is in the midst of a personal bankruptcy, if it is non-negligible he'll have to pay 50% of it as surplus income.

#6928 1 year ago

The NOS target bank was likely not NOS from Marco Specialties. Over paid for that one, but it was the first thing towards the parts for the build. Had a look at Home Depot for metal, & I will search online for some sources.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/location/halifax-dartmouth/

#6937 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

$41.25, isn't even a tank of gas.

Less than a 36er of Bud!

#7018 1 year ago

Who would pump coins into a machine with no hope of payback?

Oh wait

Listening to the “Making of Jurassic Park Home Edition” video cool how they had a flippable prototype white wood in 3 days.

#7066 1 year ago

There is something laudable in wiping the digital slate clean. Unburdening oneself from the shackles of the past. This is a new beginning, a new hope -- cleansed, purified, moving forward with singular determination.

These are John's Chronicles, let us reflect and learn.

#7125 1 year ago

Don't you have the CAD on a USB stick that you were taking to the printers?

This has descended from comedy to tragedy (or farce). Kind of hard to keep watching to be honest.

#7238 1 year ago

So our new playfield is not even playfield sized?

#7302 1 year ago

Does life imitate art; or art imitate life?

#7341 1 year ago

What’s the current status? Last I saw we had a piece of plywood rotated on sawhorses.

#7562 1 year ago

In the words of a famous Canadian power trio, “All the world’s indeed a stage, and we are merely players.” (I think Shakespeare ripped Rush off here). But John doesn’t wear a mask, he’s unfiltered and upfront about everything — especially his foibles. I don’t think many of us would be comfortable doing that, so cheers for being you John.

#7604 1 year ago

Not sure it's part of the plan, but do you not think it will be easier to test your whitewood if it is actually playfield-sized? So you can put it in a cabinet.

#7623 1 year ago

Isn't the point of building the whitewood to test it before you start modifying Jon Norris's design?

#7627 1 year ago

It remains a Jon Norris design with more shit added on.

#7628 1 year ago

1 week later
    #7895 1 year ago

Nickel gambling is entertainment for John. As someone who is self-described as unlucky, he's having fun passing the time. No worse than popping loonies into a pinball machine (where the prospect of no return is guaranteed).

We might recoil at some of John's fiscal and lifestyle choices, yet, would we be willing to put all of our own choices under full scrutiny? There is some irony here when we are spending thousands of dollars on pinball machines.

#7903 1 year ago

You can take CPP as early as 60 (at a reduced rate). OAS at 65. As John is (I think) 56 he's got a ways to go until then.

Most people wouldn't be retired as young as John is!

#7934 1 year ago

Yeah those ball guides won’t work.

#8055 1 year ago

John, check this bad boy out:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/heritage-the-rock-indoor-non-stick-electric-smokeless-bbq-grill-black-16x10-in-0435733p.html?loc=plp

What is your new gmail address? I'll shoot you $50 for a new grill.

#8069 1 year ago

Sent you $50 for a grill. Or not. Hope you can answer the security question if not PM me.

#8125 1 year ago

Don’t forget the price is Canadian pesos.

And there are a lot of taxes built into the price — https://industry.beercanada.com/sites/default/files/beer_taxes_a_canadian_-_us_comparison_report_final_-_e.pdf

#8134 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm torn on enabling bad behavior and choices. But when in Rome, I guess....
    GWJ. Have you ever considered brewing your own beer?
    My guess is you would be very good at it and it could also be an activity for both you and your wife.
    https://craftabrew.com/collections/1-gallon-beer-kit/?discount=THIRSTY&gclid=CjwKCAiA9qKbBhAzEiwAS4yeDcEVIgHDNU_ZyOxinDLz1Mjcb9KX80UBs8rK0XUlKdCDAl-HahrxcRoC8UQQAvD_BwE

They don't even boil their own eggs, I don't see this happening

1 week later
    #8501 1 year ago

Some stats that belie John’s claim that Nova Scotians are particularly heavy drinkers.

Looks like only New Brunswick is lower. Nunavut is a special case.

C50136A0-B2D1-4913-BD05-A2264D2AD6A2 (resized).pngC50136A0-B2D1-4913-BD05-A2264D2AD6A2 (resized).png

#8502 1 year ago

If my math is correct, 8L of alcohol is about 9 beer a week.

1 week later
    #9008 1 year ago

Pass on the hookers. Look but do not touch! Went out to resupply the fridge with pop. Running for the bus, & the door closes. Tap on the window but the bus pulls away, so I put a good pounding on the tempered glass.

Pinball is a transferable skill!

#9116 1 year ago

How much programming is required to actually do something with this wiring? Is the programmer ready to roll?

#9316 1 year ago

Back to the build...what's the count on total hours worked so far based on the starting gun firing on September 1st?

Anyone else remember those last lazy days of August before the nose was really put to the grindstone?

#9488 1 year ago

Is there a spare computer to run the boardset? Maybe hammer time was premature.

#9495 1 year ago

Although John is retired, he is not in his 60s. Born in 1964 according to the 'heavy drinkers are from 1965' post.

#9538 1 year ago

I ponied up for a new grill for John -- who's going to chip in for a new hammer?

What happens if it's hammer time but there is no hammer available?

#9682 1 year ago

So a bunch of wires, no wiring diagram, no switch matrix documented, nothing to hook them up to. Programmer visited but was not needed to do anything yet.

The plan is working!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_nybble.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=dr_nybble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.