Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinbub.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#370 1 year ago

Not so much a problem using preexisting ramps as it is claiming it will be the most blinged out game in the history of pinball. If you're using a preexisting ramp compromises in the design will be necessary.

People looking for the cheapest beer are usually just looking to get wasted. I'm not saying that's John's angle, maybe he's just thrifty. Some people like rolling rock, Coors and Miller genital draft. There's an ass for every seat!

#706 1 year ago

I've been working 16 hour days. Did pinside rule 1 get abolished while I was gone? Asking for a friend who enjoys good entertainment.

This thread is delivering!

1 month later
    #3575 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

Yes, that was 22 years ago.
    I made a big deal about the cigarette smoke and asked for a meeting to resolve the issue. I went into that meeting expecting finding a resolution to the smoke issue. They already had the (Pink Slip) paperwork completed going into the meeting. It was my fault to make a big deal about the cigarette smoke. I was not expecting losing my job. Yes, I made a bad mistake, I just should have worked in the smoke and gotten an air cleaner for my office. Hindsight is 20-20.
    I ended up selling my pinball collection and paid off all of my bills. Then I moved to California to get residency so I could go to grad school. I attended Long Beach State and graduated with an MFA degree in 2010.
    Pinball was always on my mind. I think that once the pinball bug bites, it’s in your blood forever.

Kind of feel like you screwed yourself over in the end. I'm not saying you should have put up with all the BS but to trash all that pinball history seems like a knee jerk reaction and one you should have thought through more. It's obvious you still have a passion for pinball. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't made similar decisions/mistakes.

I wish you the best in this and in future endeavors.

#3743 1 year ago

This is, hands down, the most pathetic thread on pinside. John and the blow hard "Iceman" are complete idiots. You'd have to outdrink John to invest in this stupidity. This is going to be a complete sh!tshow, train wreck in the end.

The whole whale,mini whale, pod thing reminds me of stupid crap we did in junior high. I've only interacted with John once and he couldn't remember what he said or did in the past. Lame. Good luck dealing with John, his mind is shot. Years of drinking heavily have a very negative effect.

#4126 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Nice I did hundreds of new playfields over the years & about triple that in backglass. But I do not know jack shit & cannot get anything done. Always up for a challenge to prove people wrong. I do not need anything more to hang & drink with the industry people. Do it all the time they know who I am over the years. Just got back from my Guinness night to find out the special with free 2 oysters is off until the fall. Guess myself & a number of others were to hard on the oyster stock. Got my supper going on my poor mans grill at the shop. So I will answer a few more questions later on. Pork & corn on the cob on the electric grill.

Didn't that take you 7 years before someone else took over? I contacted you about one you had supposedly done and you were completely clueless. You acted like you had no idea what I was talking about, even though I quoted you from another thread about the item I wanted.it was a Volley backglass.

I won't call you a drunk or anything because I'm sick off time outs for stating the obvious. I would never do business with you since it seems you don't remember too much. Good luck on your endivor.

1 week later
    #4859 1 year ago

Epic,........just the whole damn thing. It's like watching a train wreck. You just HAVE to.

#4863 1 year ago

Only to vend out of the machine. I had my past super size Pepsi on free vend. This one is on a quarter to vend, even though it says 35 cents Canadian. Mike from CPR had a mint or close to it dime coke vendor. You were scared to use it.

Afraid you'd get a coke and not a beer?

#4870 1 year ago

This project is is going to shift to high gear any day now,.....or not.

#4934 1 year ago

On to beer #3. All the years I have been drinking, no one has ever called me a drunk!

That you remember.......

#4957 1 year ago

I bet John is sitting at the bar right now explaining the pinball machine he's building. Beer count =3

#4973 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Pinbub You must be some kind of expert pinball manufacturing consultant to have so precisely nailed this one.

I do it for the exposure,.... or not.

#5002 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

I feel like I should win a GWJ Pinball Translite for being the 5000th post

No, you get 3 beers though. Contact coach and he'll get the money on the way, or not.

#5005 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Agree, but for different reason. I thank "coach" for stepping up and providing some of the best entertainment Pinside has ever seen. "Coach" will always be remembered for this thread and for what it brings ..... or doesn't!

Only 3? Can you toss in a few pork chops?

I can't get pork chops printed. How aboot some pepperoni instead?

#5015 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Imagine for a moment, if you will, that the one in control disappears from sight while pulling the strings as a muse.
    Everyone doubted you, now give them reason to. All while progress is made under the cloak of the darkness which is the ruse.
    La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas. ("The devil's finest trick is to persuade you that he does not exist.")
    I could be wrong... been wrong before.

That's deep. I'm going to start drinking and defrost some pork chops.

#5016 1 year ago

That looks like some pipe I laid down this morning! I hear you on the mark downs. I'm constantly on the prowl. Until you've had marked down grocery store sushi you're not trying hard enough.

#5033 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It appears Coach/Doug/Iceman44 has gone silent since Saturday. Trying to make plans to meet him in Vegas and that appears to be a no go as well?

Well they do confiscate your phone before you hit the holding cell.

#5039 1 year ago

Kind of hard not to know my routine. I watch the american news until they do endless commercials early morning. Hit the bus stop & stop at first store. Then do the same if I got no cheap food for meals. Arrive at the workshop.The East Coast Lifestyle is more relaxed & less stressful than most parts of USA or Canada. https://eastcoastlifestyle.com/

I'd just take it easy. No need to be in a hurry this far out. It's important that you keep it at a nice and easy pace. 2 weeks is plenty of time for a project like this to come together. No sense in raising your blood pressure.

#5041 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

especially with a diet built around salt, nitrates, and alcohol

Don't screw this thread over with facts. It's moving along perfectly.

#5052 1 year ago

Celebrate a week of trying to get something printed.

"Celebrate" might not be the word you're looking for.

#5054 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Ceasars has no less than a dozen bars. I have no Phone number or a clue as to what he looks like.

Just run in to every one and yell "Doug"! He'll be the nerdy short fat guy smoking a cigar. Yell "Robert" if you want to meet even more nerds.

#5057 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Nope definitely not a short fat guy smoking a stogie..mabey tho smoking a fatty

Nerdy either way. Never met a Doug or Robert that wasn't a nerd. "Bob's" are cool ,Roberts, not so much. Rogers are a whole nother kind of special. YMMV

#5065 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Thank you for the recap. Can we all agree that a pitcher of beer is approx. (4) 12-16 oz beers?
    That would equal about 38 beers total for the week or an average of 5-6 beers every day. If this is a 6 month project can it be considered a (26)weeks X (38)beers =988 beer project?

I don't think you're taking into account the "extras" that the holidays bring. Looks like New Year's day is a three day holiday by itself!

#5231 1 year ago

Hmm, then maybe he needs to start paying us.

Nope, you're getting exposure!

1 week later
    #5787 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Well, I am still here. Who wants to take bets on a fully working whitewood in October? I say NOPE. I am willing to put up a $50 bottle of the finest Amaretto or Maple Bourbon ever by Spirit Water. Not his test paneling whitewood, his fully operating whitewood.

Not really fair because you're cutting short the build time and don't understand the brilliance up johns sleeves. I know it makes sense that that would be the next logical step, but nothing here is logical. Maybe he switches to art and coding tomorrow and has a flipping whitewood scheduled in January. It's a slow, precisely planned build. Let's not get in the way! There's plenty of time, even if the buses run late. .....

#5797 1 year ago

The first one is the hard one, then a second is easier, & so on. The plan is still for a twin, not identical. I would prefer Trailer Trash, but another local mini whale is thinking about his dream game Motorhead. He is local & will be looking at the game. Same as Doug & I know other mini whales, that may show interest late Fall.

This metaphorically describes my sex life in high school. It's hard to explain but I think you covered it.

#5855 1 year ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

What a brilliant remark, especially to the most educated country in the world.

By that I assume you mean more people brain washed through the college "experience"? Um yea....

#5933 1 year ago

September first was supposed to be the kick off when things would start getting done. Now it's October that things are going to start getting done. Do I hear November?

At some point somebody better start panicking or this will never see the light of day. I'm picturing the second week of February you saying,"everything is going as planned and no body is panicking". Me thinks somebody needs to step up ones game. Just my .02. can't wait to see some progress.

Has coach considered "Texas Train Wreck" as a theme?

#6064 1 year ago

If John had that wood fired crock pot he'd be eating like a king. Beer must be getting warm with no refrigeration.

No bueno. Hope he's OK. I'd hate to see this thread die,...or not.

#6066 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Read back, last time he was without power for 6 days. He is fine I am sure.....he will be back and update us. This was all part of the plan.

Well I agree it was all part of the plan. Last project I got into I planned on 2 hurricanes, 1 earthquake and a heat wave. Nobody panicked! Glad we planned ahead. Bob's bacon pulled us through that one, fortunately.

#6082 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

When i was young I recall my old man making himself a 'hot toddy' haha.. i think it was whiskey & hot water w/ a lemon or some honey maybe! That'll kill a cold apparently! Glad to hear you're feeling better John.

Yes, lemon AND honey ftw

#6195 1 year ago

Yes everything is going fine. The game(s) will be ready & finished for SXSW & TPF in March 2023.

Well of course they will. I'm not panicking.

#6241 1 year ago

As long as it's a thing in this post, I had 3, hundred proof shooters and 2 beers today. I didn't ride the bus but I did transport 320,000 pounds of tomatoes. My favorite bar was open,....or not. I don't know I was busy with the whole tomato thing. I didn't bring my wife any beers. I had leftover soup from the Chinese restaurant we ordered from 2 days ago.

I longed for some Bob's bacon. The only other thing I did was rip some paneling from the 60's off a wall. That was very inspirational.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm looking for any crustacean with 200k Canadian. I plan on building it between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Or it dies.....

#6342 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Whose pinball?

One at the local barcade. Try to keep up!

#6345 1 year ago

I'm not panicking. Everything is on schedule. You guys need to relax. "Coach" will check in in about 3 weeks to bless the wood paneling. By January 15th or so we might have a theme,..... or not. Eat your moldy cheese and follow the bread crumbs.

#6375 1 year ago

It does kind of seem like every month starts out with,"not much will be getting done this month". There's only a handful of months left!

#6399 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Noob question- it has been said over and over that the programmer isn’t going to have any time to code. But if the game is designed - this target is 50 pts when lit and all the lights blink when the target is hit etc., why can’t that all be coded while John finds & assembles the hardware?

Let's not rush things. You need to do some social drinking and quit panicking!

#6401 1 year ago

Yes I never panic which is evident on playfield production. One of the hardest things to do. Add up how many of us have tried that the last 15 years. A very selective club! Drinking is a social thing in my area, along with a slower less stressfull lifestyle living on the east coast of Canada.
    Yes bed bugs are nasty. Had blood stains on the pillows going into the trash & on my mattress.

Um yeah, but could you have produced those playfields in 6 months? If I remember correctly it was 7 years and someone else finished the job.

When I contacted you you couldn't even remember you did Volley backglasses!

#6452 1 year ago

At least back in the day everyone knew when the train wreck was scheduled, showed up, saw it, went home..... This is the slowest moving train wreck EVER.

#6471 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I have no actions to be upset about. You are confused about what is going on and I attempted to clarify. I will leave you alone.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

WOW Aaron, I can't figure out why you're not backing this fresh new start up needing 1 BOARD! Man, you're going to sink your business, or not! Obvious sarcasm! Keep doing what you do,.....enriching the hobby. I wish you all the best but I know you don't need it!

#6475 1 year ago

Mr Greatwich, you're bat shit crazy and have had memory issues for at least 3 years. I wish you the best of luck but your memory and life are rapidly depleting right in front of our eyes. This will never happen on the no panic time frame.

#6561 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'd buy them a few kegs and be there tonight if they wanna get rid of it lol

Kegs are not public transit friendly, not to mention dragging the pin home on the bus.

#6571 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Imagine what would be different in this process and final result if he landed the 100k whale.

More beers....

#6581 1 year ago

Looks like a LOT of plans! Let's not overwhelm anyone. No need for panic!

#6582 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Nah. He just lives his life, we make the drama, because we are basing his life on our values.

Oh you mean realistic values? Got it, I'll adjust the plan accordingly.

#6591 1 year ago

You are not allowed to transport empty beer cans on the bus. I walk for miles to return them, good exercise. Good to see Aaron from Fast Pinball still checking in while I wait on his competitors boards. Always a fun hobby.

But can you transport full kegs on the bus?

#6600 1 year ago

Will the feral cats be at the big reveal party? I'm also curious what your brother had for breakfast. We don't hear much about him except that he has a driveway,.... and now feral cats. Somehow I think the feral cats are a bread crumb.

#6639 1 year ago

Man, just whew. It's all going according to plan. This either makes a surprise happy ending, or it dies.

When do we start making nickel bets on an end date?

John, I appreciate your effort but your out of touch with reality.

#6641 1 year ago

To #JonNorris how are you feeling about this project? I'd hate to offer up a playfield design only to see it go up in flames.

#6664 1 year ago

I think the plan is to drink beer, document daily marked down food intake and dream about pinball. I'd say we're right on track.

#6669 1 year ago

Yes not part of the plan. Done in stages, likely 3 or possibly 4 orders in total from Pinball Life. Plus a few from other vendors.

That's how I grocery shop. It's very efficient and nothing ever goes wrong. Solid plan.....

#6684 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

vdojaq when I start building my pin, I hope you offer the go fund me too. I am not foolish enough to turn it down. And I promise to share my dietary choices, modes of transportation, and day to day follies as payment. Oh, and a daily beer count. I'm currently at 4.
    Tick tock GWJ...

I've got a driveway for the big reveal if you want to use it. It'll be free. I'm just looking for the exposure.

#6689 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Speaking of deals, Pinball Life usually does a huge sale around Pinball Expo.
    It would be an amazing time to order some stuff and save 10-15%...

Crock pots are a great idea too, but not part of the plan. Can't we just stick to the, "not the plan", plan?

#6710 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You won't even have your working whitewood by Oct 31 as you stated you would.

X2. You could be working on the cabinet but that is put off until December? Why don't you work on things you can while you're held up on other people's time frames?

None of this makes sense....

#6714 1 year ago

If I was Jon Norris I'd want to be as far from this project as I could. I guess washed up pinball guys are hanging onto every thread in an attempt to keep their names alive, no matter how ridiculous.

#6957 1 year ago

Same old song and dance,.....and old food

#6979 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Tomatoe, tomatoe...

I agree but I'm in the business so.....

#6993 1 year ago

Can't wait for all the excuses in February.

#6996 1 year ago

When do you expect to get to work on making your pinball machine?

Next month
    Remember we're not straying from the plan.

#7002 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

So, in a nutshell, you had 5 free hot dogs, destroyed your computer with a hammer and disappointed your wife and dead mother (may she rest in peace,).
    Holy shit, I need to go to bed. Beer count 10 for me.

10 beers?! Oh wait, must have been part of the plan,....or not, or it dies.

#7025 1 year ago

He did. It was to order more parts. The plan was that once those parts arrived, John would get hard to work and pick up the pace.

April fool's? "Worried" isn't in the plan.

#7026 1 year ago

Everyone needs to chill and have 6 more beers and gamble away another $15. I feel like we're ahead of schedule. I see this wrapping up between Christmas and New Year's.

#7033 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

We expect the weekly summary tomorrow, or not.
    Seriously, the weekly update/summary is my favorite part of the thread.

Or it dies!

#7115 1 year ago

The whole thing is just sad. John is so out of touch and likely severely depressed. Sounds like his wife is as well. I think we've seen about all the progress we're going to. The whole loss of computer emails/data will be the next excuse and I suspect that will be a factor until at least January 1st.

Let's not forget we're supposed to see a flipping white wood 2 weeks from today.

#7159 1 year ago

I was openly very critical about anyone who would be associated with this project. I named some people, it was good for a three day thread eject!

#7170 1 year ago

Thread got derailed again. Can't we get back to marked down food and beer drinking?!

#7178 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

get a free password manager and you only have to remember 1 password
    www.LastPass.com

Password......."Hammer"

#7195 1 year ago

He said he's giving up NICKLE bets, not necessarily betting. He's stepping up to quarter bets!

#7266 1 year ago

I think he might be using the free plywood his buddy scored the other day.

#7290 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I’m happy to give John the opportunity because I like the guy and his attitude about life and I believe he can do it.
    It’s not about what I end up getting or not. Jon Norris is much appreciated as well and a pet charity which I’m all about too will be part of this ending. Same with Project pinball. Not sure how yet.
    So I’m just gonna have some fun with this journey. No disappointment thus far.

You could have just sent John's brother money for the feral cats!

#7315 1 year ago

No beers until 7:30 pm tonight.
    [quoted image]

Guess that went out the window........

#7317 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

You can just click on did you forget your password on the sign in screen and reset it, but this could be tricky if you don't have access to the old email that was associated with the Pinside account. Perhaps best to see if Robin can fix it somehow and switch it over to your new email.

Or you could just go to your settings screen like DBLM posted, change your email and then reset through your new email. This is really basic stuff. You can't reset a password but you're going to build a pinball machine? Okay......

#7339 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I would just start a new pinball website and forum instead of resetting a password. You know, fresh start.

GreyhamPinball.com

Forums could include:

What markdowns did you score today
    The rainbow colored ham thread
    Now we're grilling......
    The homebrew MDF club
    Bus schedules, (updated daily)

Also need a running ticker showing the current average price for a suitcase of Bud.

#7343 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

What’s the current status? Last I saw we had a piece of plywood rotated on sawhorses.

Current status is everything is going as planned. Didn't you check the plan?

#7349 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

It starts with a hammer.

Hammer time!

#7434 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I’d still love to hear the unabridged story of whatever happened with GWJ this year at Pintastic.

He rode the bus there, with 2 suitcases of beer, pepperoni and free rolls. Got pissed about not showing up on the pre registration list and smashed the computer with a hammer. Finally got in and smashed a playfield glass, by hand, found an outlet to plug in his hotdog grill and made some dogs. Set up his booth to sell 1/4" MDF white woods and then met Kim. Total beer count, 14.

At least that's how I remember it.

#7465 1 year ago

No big deal, nice lady & she has a dog. I get along with everyone who likes the same sex.

Doggy style?

#7467 1 year ago

You may get moderated or not. Yes you can give me a call 902-402-7188. No prank calls with their number shown in some time. Got some toilet paper, so I am covered from one prank call.

I just quoted you. It was a weird post. You referenced a lady and said she had a dog and you get along with others who like the same sex. Are you a lady?

#7468 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I just quoted you. It was a weird post. You referenced a lady and said she had a dog and you get along with others who like the same sex. Are you a lady?

EDIT: and how does toilet paper protect you from prank calls? Tin foil hat I could see but......

#7471 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

WTF does this even mean? Where in all hell did same sex and the "other side" become anywhere part of this whole conversation?
    You are just completely off your rocker at times.

My point exactly.

#7472 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Be a man and call him.

I would but I'm out of toilet paper. It's a two way street!

#7475 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

So what is this team member doing as part of the build?

Waiting for his hotdog to be done!

#7477 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Actually with toilet paper it’s supposed to be a one way street, right ?

Typically yes but John made the plan so.....

#7479 1 year ago

Drinking beer. Do not know how much you can say about people that enjoy the same sex here. It does not bother me, & you got to do what you got to do. Halifax is mostly a very tolerant city. I enjoy seeing the personal relations in play. Got some more stuff on the whitewood drinking beer tonight.
    [quoted image]

That's another really strange post. I'll leave it at that.

#7481 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

No, what is he doing as part of this project?

Quoted from DBLM:

No, what is he doing as part of this project?

Keeping everything as planned.

#7485 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I leave you kids alone for a minute and you go crazy... Calm down guys.
    I am on vacation this week, so expect a GWJ summary update soon.
    I'm craving hot dogs... Just saying..

We can't help ourselves. Wasn't that part of the plan?

#7489 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Although it was a random point, here's a quick translation to those who seemed confused by these statements. It seems to be implied that the bartender is a lesbian. John doesn't mind this, and continues to get along and treat her like a human being. Good on you, John.

Ok, now I get it. I've got no problem with that. It was when he said people have to do what they have to do. Only in prison!

#7497 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I think I agree with this? But is there any reason to even bring it up? No one should mind what her sexual preferences are other than her chosen partner. So again, why is it even brought up?

Exactly, I pictured John blowing people for playfield parts after he said "people have to do what they have to do", I was just confused. People have free will and can screw who they want to. I'm not a hater but John made it sound differently.

#7546 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I am interested to know the "other ways" they obtain money.

Dog grooming, chya!

#7558 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Technically, until tonight, I've only heard and lived by the 3 sec rule. If it were anyone else I would have corrected them and said it's the 3 second rule, not the 5 second rule, but given this thread I knew that GWJ lives life 5 seconds at a time.

5 seconds was the standard back in the day. Before the interwebs germs moved slower.

#7674 1 year ago

Pinball Life order #3 should be here early next week. Then there will be more stuff to be shown.

With Sobeys around there will always be more stuff to be shown!

#7734 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

I agree. The project has gone as everyone predicted. The only thing entertaining is what discounted foods GWJ eats for meals….

Nah, even the food updated are boring.

#7759 1 year ago
    Quoted from ViperVS:

There was a deadline for that?

Easy now. There are no "deadlines" in this build, just the plan, but yes, we were supposed to have a flipping whitewood by the end of October. I predict it will be around October 2,470th.

#7853 1 year ago

I have stated many times my City Pension of $29k CDN or about $23k US for myself & to support my wife is deposited on 1st of the month. Had less than $5 in my bank last night. Yes I like to gamble a few dollars, $20 lost over 4 hours drinking beer, & the poor jukebox did not get a $5 donation. I had fun being entertained not only by myself, but the serious gamblers (everyone else) betting 50 cents to $2.50 a spin on the VLT's. WMS would be happy gambling is king, their stuff is at the Casino.

You get 29k a month and you're broke. That's like $350,000 a year!

You're doing something very wrong. You should be rich.

#7855 1 year ago

AND with markdown food and riding the bus! I wish I got 29k a month. I'd be super flush with cash.

#7857 1 year ago
    Quoted from TAVsPlace:

John, you may have mentioned this early on but is your wife retired to? I am still hoping to see the game at TPF.

Apparently because she kills a 36 suitcase in about three days. She's either retired or drinking at work.

#7865 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

If memory serves, gwj supports both his wife and himself on his $29k per year pension. I would tell gwj to try and save up a bit of money for the unexpected but I know it will fall on deaf ears. I would tell him again to stop wasting money on slots. He can’t afford it and it’s a complete waste of money. But damn, those deaf ears again…..

His post says 29k a MONTH, on the first. I knew it wasn't right but I pointed it out because sometimes drinking 8-10 beers, on the daily, fucks up your head. Johns doctor is not concerned, according to him, (but is a piece of shit for not being concerned).

#7869 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Why ya gotta be a douche bag man?

Stating facts. If you can READ, it says 29k a MONTH. Johns post, not my interpretation. Don't worry, you're still the official douche bag in this thread. Nobody's challenging your douchey status.

#7940 1 year ago

The layout update photos feel like the equivalent of paint by numbers using a thrice xeroxed on a moving semi with couple unsharpened color pencils and a blob of melted together crayons.

That was part of the "plan", carry on.......or it dies

#8008 1 year ago

John, I've been skeptical of this project and it hasn't been a secret but I've got to say I'm proud of you for stepping up your game. When you said you were ordering ball guides and was going to " Frankenstein" them together I was like,...ugh. I'm impressed that you seem to have kicked it into high gear. Keep going man! While there is a lot of negativity in this thread it is mostly constructive criticism. We do want you to succeed!

#8071 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So what does the wifey do for meals? Do you pick something up for her too?

Eggs, hops & barley

#8128 1 year ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Why is Bud so expensive in Canada? That’s almost double the cost where I’m at.

Because it's so good!

#8201 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Ok that's just not nice.

I calls um like I sees um.....

#8211 1 year ago

Remember that ONE day pinball progress was made? Yea,me too. What a sh!t show this has become. I don't give half a crap about how the hotdogs are being cooked. Let's get back to pinball machine progress, or it dies.....

#8255 1 year ago
    Quoted from Barr993:

This whole thing is like a sitcom that was starting to get a little stale so they bring in a new character to spice things up.

At the rate we're going it's going to be around for at least 3 seasons. Then it dies.

#8336 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

....Alan Alda is adorable as hell.

So I was the asshole when I suggested Avi looked like a chick but now you guys are speculating that Avi is John's wife? For the record, and for all of you who complained about my not apologizing, I did feel like an ass afterwards and DID pm an apology to Avi. I didn't owe the thread an apology, I owed the person I insulted an apology, and I did so. When I posted that, whiskey and I thought it was funny. It wasn't. I'm not proud of that but like I told Avi, I can't untype it. I can only apologize. So to all of you who haven't ever typed anything on line that you regretted, keep flaming away. I live and I learn. It was a poor choice and I regret it. Won't be doing that again.

1 week later
    #8722 1 year ago

Saturday Night drinker at the shop is just about to get going. See what I do Sunday morning.
    [quoted image]

You'll drink more.

#8842 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rapid_Roy:

This is no longer a Jon Norris design. You were gifted a promising layout by an experienced professional designer. Rather than build it as designed and tweak from there, you bastardize his work and create a monstrosity.
    Also, is the lower pop bumper just going to hammer the rail? Ouch.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up.

#8852 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Jon designed this to flow and flow it does. GWJ modified it to bash lots of shit, which it was never intended to do. I’m not clear GWJ ever understood the design to begin with or particularly cared what it was. He just needed something with an already existing blueprint to paste to his “whitewood”, original design concept and purpose be damned. If I were Jon I’d just take my name off of it and walk away.

I agree completely. The "coach" and John are not pinball designers. Not everyone can design a game that flows. If anyone could do it there would be a lot more designers and pinball machines would be cheap. Add to that the cobbled together ball guides. This was an awesome original design that had a bunch of speed bumps installed. I can't imagine Jon Norris is thrilled with his design being Frankensteined. Can't wait for the reviews once it's finished.
    I'd love to know, if when John talked to Jon about a playfield design he mentioned it would be changed up and destroyed to the point it has been. Haven't heard much from Mr. Norris lately blessing the carnage.

#8859 1 year ago

Jon Norris is a great guy, & a good sport. He is interested to see how it plays as a first whitewood (not the panel one). Anyone who knows my history or dealing with industry people would know that it would be highly unlikely that things go along with a normal plan. Bring out the napkins. Same with the coach seeing how this comedy or travesty plays out. Still got my experts to help out, & Jon Norris 3 spinner design was a very good base! Still has a lot of the bones as shown with the blue print. Maybe people can figure out what percentage is there.
    There is a lot of beer thought going on with my shot theory, mostly based on Jon Norris original design. Just a different way of looking at a design, as people clearly see Jon Norris is going for a very fast & smooth flowing playfield. My version is definitely down & dirty with the Trailer Trash theme. God only knows what the coach has in mind with the Texas theme. Still a mystery to me.

But wasn't Jon Norris's design a complete design? You can call your hacks "down and dirty" but when all is said and done it still requires flow. I don't see this flowing smoothly at all. I'd love to be proved wrong because I DO want you to see it through and be successful, it's just not looking like it will be. People talk about different "Modes" doing this and that but it should already be into the programming stage to meet deadline. There aren't going to be modes. I just don't see it happening. Where is the art? That should be diligently being worked on by now as well. You keep saying the coach will reveal art soon but at this point it seems like he's trying to sink the plan as well by not revealing it.

I'm still "on the bus", but it seems like one of those busses running late at night that says," out of service". Hope I'm wrong because you've already burned about 14 minutes of your 15 minutes of fame. Not trying to be mean but at some point we need to be realistic.

#8860 1 year ago

Missed my bus......

Yup, about 20 years ago

#8862 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's a hot mess and I love it.
    If it doesn't shoot well, so what? There was lots of fun along the way.
    This has been a huge upgrade over the last build. The next one? To the moon!

I hear ya. I've got no skin in the game. I just picture Jon Norris doing a face palm with a handle of jack Daniels next to him. I'd hate to see my design molested to such a degree.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinbub.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=Pinbub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.