Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1158 Summary of downsides Posted by pookycade (1 year ago)

Post #5133 Programmer Posted by Mr68 (1 year ago)

Post #5520 2nd installment of $1k USD Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #5946 Week 3 summary Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #6424 Thread summary for week 5 Posted by Beechwood (1 year ago)

Post #7332 How to reset your password Posted by Jvspin (1 year ago)

Post #8068 Another $1k USD provided ($5k now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #9810 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Post #10008 Another installment of $1k USD ($6k total now?) Posted by greatwichjohn (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Palmer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#278 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

People have not seen what a pimped out machine by my team will look like, & maybe never will. It would definitely stand out from the crowd.

That includes you bud. How about breaking down the 100K for us so we know where the money is going. You do have a business plan right? Right? Right?

#279 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Let’s go Deeproot and let’s go John!!!!!
    Everybody got to see what Deeproot had on the bankruptcy liquidation. It ended badly. Shit happens.

Everyone knew it was going to flop. For some reason you felt the need to prop them up whenever possible.

#298 1 year ago

SXSW at my brothers house, & TPF at the show. 19 days to go on the hunt for the elusive big one!

Still haven't talked about how the 100K will be spent. Still waiting.

#304 1 year ago

Deadly serious on my hunt for the big whale this month. If you are waiting for me to spell out every single cost of the project, & you have no interest in TPB look elsewhere. I have set out by timeline, or the project might die if backing is not there at the end of August 2022.

Oh I know you are serious. That is what makes this thread so entertaining. But it's obvious that you haven't created a business plan. You probably just drank a few beers and came up with 100K. At least own that instead of pretending like you have some sort of business acumen.

#331 1 year ago

Got my napkins ready for your ideas & my own standing by.

So now you are soliciting the general public for ideas? This is great.

#397 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Admit it, now you are just fucking with us[quoted image]

It's not even a hunt. A hunt would imply some sort of determination. He's lazily asking for 100K on an online forum with no evidence of any business plan. He has 0.0 percent chance of making this happen.

animal-house-zero-point-zero.gifanimal-house-zero-point-zero.gif
    #403 1 year ago

No this is a real hunt for hopefully a big whale investor, & now actively expanding the hunt to Canada & the World. Custom pinball, guess I should not use 100% if I did so it is now changed. I have worked on hundreds of pinball games, & still do in my wide area. Same with numerous playfield changeouts, & cabinet repairs.

How exactly are you "expanding" the hunt to Canada and the World? lol

#413 1 year ago

You got to go with a title that is known (maybe not that well outside of Canada) & which is available. Yes I am actively searching the world for a big whale investor.

That's weird. I have a friend who is a prince in Nigeria. He is very wealthy...he literally has millions of dollars looking for people to claim...and is a huge fan of TPB. He hasn't received any of your emails. Don't worry though. I gave him your contact details. He will be in touch.

#422 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

greatwichjohn I posted this earlier in the thread but didn't see a response. According to this fellow Canadian in this VPforum, he had permission to use TPB likenesses for a pin, he was starting it virtual. Have you looked into it? That could be a real "snag" in your plan.
    [quoted image]

I doubt either that person or John has actual rights to use TPB in a commercial venture. There is a big difference between asking to make a one-off fan-made game (which by the way doesn't need permission) and obtaining a license to make a commercial game. If the guy on VPforums is making a game for himself, no harm, no foul. But John is taking (er asking for) money to make his which means he better have a legit license to make a game...which I seriously doubt he has.

#611 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You saw it with your own eyes court reporter. What a waste of time joke!
    Anyone that actually walked through the DR facilities, like I did, or participated in the auction understands what was there.
    Or maybe people are saying ALL the employees knew that it was some massive Ponzi scheme and participated in the fraud? No I think that’s reserved for Mueller and only he knew the extent of it. His former lawyer certainly did not. Period.
    You still live your life in it that pathetic puzzle thread. It’s a sad narrative for the lives of the mini mob drama queens. You are still stuck with yourselves after it’s all said and done.
    And a “buffoon” on Deeproot? I wear it proudly. Lol. You act like you just won the lottery. Who gives a shit?
    You did get the “whale” part right guppy
    And yes it all documented right there. Everything I claimed was true! Straight from the SEC filings from day one. Look it up fake news court reporter.
    Go get em GWJ!!!!!

Was waiting for someone to call you out on your BS.

#647 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Mods need to ban you before you scam more Pinsiders. Amazed this has continued as long as it has.
    You don’t have a license. You can’t solicit for a licensed pin before you have the license. Illegal.

It’s all good. Iceman vouches for him.

#671 1 year ago

The phone line is open as always for people with any serious interest to call 902-402-7188

*Crickets*

Got that covered already. Not a art or color expert.

Drop the "art or color" and you would finally be telling the truth.

#793 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I think The GavinHoss Group will want to know about someone selling the TPB IP without permission.
    https://www.licenseglobal.com/streaming-and-tv/gavinhoss-group-rep-trailer-park-boys

"Why do you have to bring this thread down with research and facts? Who are you protecting? Can't a guy just take people's money based off some weak promises of a game that will never be made?"

-Iceman (probably)

#825 1 year ago

Times are tough with inflation lately.

picard-facepalm (resized).jpgpicard-facepalm (resized).jpg
    #907 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

How are you planning to get 10 games to Texas? A Uhaul is going to run you $2k plus fuel from your place to Texas, one way...whether you take 1 game or 10.

He's going to look for a U-haul whale.

#950 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Heres what you get if you try to use artificial intelligence to design a Trailer Park Boys pin.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

This is how I imagine it looking.

#958 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

OK, then limit it to 1 or 3.
    Why would you build more games than you want to, or think you can?

He already has it figured out. If it’s 1 game, it’s 100K and if it’s 2 games, it’s 20K.

#1538 1 year ago

Eh, not sure why you are emailing GavinHoss Group. They are the licensing agent for “Trailer Park Boys” 20th anniversary consumer products campaign.

https://www.licenseglobal.com/streaming-and-tv/gavinhoss-group-rep-trailer-park-boys

So unless your pinball machine is specifically centered around the TPB 20th anniversary, not sure if they are the right group to contact. TPB Production Limited owns and manages the show's IP.

By the way, this is what happens when you do zero research.

#1552 1 year ago

Wrong as far as I know they are the only group to be doing the licensing for TPB.

I mean it literally took me 30 seconds to figure out who owns the TPB IP so that's probably 30 seconds more work than you did.

#1557 1 year ago

Well enlighten me with your expert findings. I did not show what was sent to the partner spelling out my request. Which if she did not have control over she would likely have said so. Guess we will see next week.
    I said very early on the 3 actors control TPB. But I guess people are joining in late to the shit show. Like trying to climb the shit rope.

I literally told you who the IP holder was. SMH. Good luck John…you’re gonna need it.

#1564 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

He mentioned it 25+ pages ago. Try and keep up
    [quoted image]

And yet he still contacted the wrong group. What is your point?

#1762 1 year ago

You know it really wouldn't be hard to program an AI chat bot that spoke like John. Just give it a few key words to repeat like whales and mini-whale pods. Have it randomly drop a name of a pinball industry person. Make sure to mention 6 months and TPF at least once. Finish it off with bragging about X amount of cheap beers he has consumed (random number generator between 4 and 12). And there you have it. No one would know the difference!

#1778 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Just a hobby man. Having fun with it. You guys act like it’s a death cage life or death match.

Haha...that was funny. You should take a deep look in the mirror iceman. I remember when Rick and Morty was released and for some reason you went out of your way to go into every Rick and Morty thread and shit on the game (and occasionally Spooky). Good times!

#1840 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Translation: Exploitation & wage theft.

Exactly! And it is way more prevalent in the art and design world. There are so many people that undervalue a good artist, whether it be graphic design, music, animation, etc. Why are they always the ones that are asked to work for free?

#1845 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

Software developers work for free on Open Source projects all the time.

So do artists. I understand what Open Source is. This isn't Open Source.

#1850 1 year ago

So you think he has a chance?

350 (resized).png350 (resized).png
    #1863 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Im still confused. I remember the drama with Wayne and the crock hunter from RGP. Was Wayne the licensing company for Crocodile Hunter? Or did he procure the license to build a crocodile Hunter pinball?
    Damn I feel old now...

Wayne used a company to secure the rights. That company folded.

#1920 1 year ago
    Quoted from ElectricLou:

Who are you trying to save? There is NO Waiting list on that thing. Nobody cares! 99,9999% pinsiders knows it’s a popcorn thread!
    You and Rare are living on this thread to save us but there is nobody to save. You just love listening yourself

I never understood people complaining about discussion on a discussion forum. If their comments are bothering you, you could just leave, block them, or drain the thread.

#2126 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like the concept that since John isn't doing the art, he has zero control over whether or not there are giant throbbing veiny cocks all over the pinball machine's artwork.
    That's some hands-off management!

When you're not paying for art, you get what you get...and you don't get upset. Even if it is a collage of giant throbbing veiny cocks.

#2385 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Kinda like it how it was so hard to keep track of all those seawitch/stargazer playfield pre-order lists, who paid & who didn't, who should get their order first, what shipments were sent, what shipment weren't, who actually received their playfields, and on & on? Apparently it was so hard to keep track & maintain your records, that your customers had to talk to each other to figure our mess out for you.
    Keeping track of things clearly has never been, nor will ever be, your strong suit. Anyone giving him $10K is out of their minds.

Maybe because he’s writing all his notes on napkins.

#2447 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

at least John is getting a hell of a lesson in Internet etiquette.

But has he learned anything?

#2548 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I applaud your good intentioned noble effort to help John Kojak. But there was ZERO chance that these cheap bastards here would ever pony up for $11k and this "CHARITY PROJECT".
    No F ing way! LOL

You are correct...but not because I am cheap...I just don't feel like rewarding someone that has put little to no effort or thought into the project. I think the GoFundMe is a terrible idea.

#2557 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Curious John why you feel Trailer Trash is an acceptable theme? I know a few people that live in trailer parks and they are good folk.

Because one person mentioned it as an alternative theme if TPB couldn't work. Which sort of sums up all of John's decisions that he has made on the project. My question is...if John runs out of napkins, does he run out of ideas?

#3057 1 year ago

Can we just skip to the part where Iceman deactivates his account?

#3107 1 year ago

Iceman should do all of the callouts since he loves to hear himself talk. "Triggered!"

#3148 1 year ago

So much concern for Iceman's money and GWJ's production plans from those with no involvement
    Really nice to see the community support

I mean...what are we supposed to do with all of these announcements...just nod our heads?

#3159 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Seems like he is actually good to go as-is. I feel like half the battle with John is understanding what he writes, which is mildly troubling when the primary contractor should be the most communicative and organized.
    I still want to hear what the CASH and MONEY feature idea is. How is it supposed to work? Or is it simply the drops say MONEY and the standups say CASH?

My question is why the hell would you change the layout just to accommodate the words CASH and MONEY?

#3173 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm starting to think this concept is a little muddled.
    "Cash" and "Money" certainly isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think "Trailer park."

Yeah that sounds more like a gansta rap theme than a trailer park one. I still don't understand why a layout would be changed to accommodate printed words. I'd much rather shoot at a 7 drop target bank than 5.

I mean...there has to be a 7 letter word that would work for TRAILER Trash. If only we could rack our brains together to figure out a 7 letter word to go with he original 7 target bank. I wonder what 7 letter words could be associated with TRAILER Trash. Guys if we can all just focus for a minute, I think we can figure this out.

#3175 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I got nothing

I appreciate the help! NOTHING is indeed a 7 letter word.

#3216 1 year ago
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.28.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.28.06 PM.png
    #3251 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The sad thing is this thread has more posts that many actual projects that had real creativity behind them and actually got built.All the evidence anyone needs that drama fuels the site traffic.
    This game being priceless? lol.. Like this has never been attempted. Reality is most people do it without trying to be a public begger or at least tackle it with more practical objectives and planning.
    The acrylic pinball machines
    Quetzal Pinball's Captain Nemo
    etc etc etc

Stop by the Homebrew forum and pick a thread. There are a shit-ton of amazing projects currently going on.

#3264 1 year ago

Redneck Riviera probably

#3799 1 year ago

Or IT DIES!

#3823 1 year ago

Not the music police. What someone puts in their game is their choice.

Yeah, that’s not how it works.

#3846 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That, IS exactly how it’s gonna work in this case.
    And I’ll have Cleland on standby, for a fee, to rotate songs when we get tired of them.
    Does anybody ever do that here?

I was responding to John saying any one of his mini whales can put whatever unlicensed music they want on their pins and it doesn't matter. He is taking money to build these. It does matter. Honestly, it's probably better you guys don't talk about these details.

I am confused what Cleland is going to do. Is he your programmer? Because I am not sure how he is going to use pinball browser to change songs on a non-Stern game.

#3868 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

You really gotta figure out all the parts you need and which vendor has what for what price. You're going to destroy your budget with small orders like that drop target bank. Like surely Marco had something else at an ok price you could have gotten at the same time...

It's all good...sugar coach will take care of all of the overages.

1 week later
    #4630 1 year ago

Drunken Whale™

istockphoto-96371238-1024x1024 (resized).jpgistockphoto-96371238-1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #4983 1 year ago

The project is on hold until someone can print a dwg file?

#4991 1 year ago

I will be spending the morning on the hunt to see if this file can be printed.

FedEx or Staples can print a dwg file. I can convert it to another file type (to scale) if you're in a pinch.

#4993 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

A commercial print shop saying they can't print a .dwg is like saying they can't print a .doc

I know, right? If that happened to me, I would have asked to speak with whoever manages/runs the printing dept. Both places have large format printers for blueprints. Printing DWG files is pretty standard.

#5004 1 year ago

If you guys thought everything would be smooth sailing every single day you are living in a fantasy world. Like I have known for many years, many print shops do not want to do stuff outside their comfort zone. Staples was a no, same as my regular printer Doug, & I will wait for the printer to get back to me Thursday. If not on my way to a few others.
    I had 3 beers around 4:30 pm when my local bar opened, & it was near Staples. Most printers close at 5 pm. Beer fridge is on, may have a beer or not later.

John, pretty sure everyone has been saying it will NOT be smooth sailing. No one is living in a fantasy world. Everyone here is pretty realistic. I think people are just reacting to your perceived lack of effort and urgency when you hit these obstacles. Waiting several days to get a blueprint printed is not an efficient use of your time. Efficiency is key when you are working on your self-imposed tight timeline.

#5036 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Announce you're opening a high end, low production run pinball company and he will materialize out of the aether

Live look at Coach Dougie after hearing whispers of a start-up pinball company with no track record taking preorders.

bush-homer.gifbush-homer.gif
    #5080 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

100%

There are dozens of free file converters on the internet, if this is an issue of converting a vector based drawing (2d or 3d) into something a printer can use like an Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) file. This conversation about how to get this file printed sounds like it should be happening in 1995, not 2022...

I would avoid any free converters. Most of them are junk. AutoCad has a free browser-based solution. https://web.autocad.com/
    He could check pretty quickly although I think you have to make an account to use it...but it's free.

I could check it for him in Illustrator real quick. I might still have AutoCad on my home computer and I could check it there as well.

Not sure why files are getting copied to usb and sent via mail. DWG files are pretty small, no?

#5090 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

At this point I'm thinking it's not a matter of simply being able to print a dwg file. I think if three printers couldn't print it or even open it the file he has is currupted. Needs a new file sent and if it's bigger than 10mb may be hard to email thus the thumb drive option. Or not or maybe ftp the file or not!

True the file could be corrupted or was not set up properly. If it's bigger than 10mb (and I doubt that), then just use any file share service like Dropbox, WeTransfer, One Drive, Google Drive, etc. There is absolutely no reason to be sending USB drives. It is just wasting time.

#5101 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Came here to say this. Its so freakin easy to send a file over 10mb these days and the options are insanely numerous. Sending a physical USB file in the mail is ludicrous, and if the file is truly corrupted (which I have my doubts) having said file on a physical drive makes zero difference.

Seriously...when John gets to coding, is his guy going to send him USB drives every time there is an update?

#5361 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I think the theme of this game must change. It should be "GWJ builds a homebrew" so it's sorta like Pinball inception. John just builds a game based on his life and experiences in building the game. Hot plate multiball is a good start. You could also have a mode where you need to get a case of beer for your wife to keep her happy: It involves riding the bus, buying the beer, maybe having a few beers during the trip (or not) and maybe losing a bunch of nickels (or not) and returning home to get your wife her beer before time runs out.

What mech would be used to represent coach’s ego?

#5406 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Awe Snowflaaaaake
    [quoted image]

I find it amusing how much of a hypocrite you are.

#5422 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

[quoted image]

Stay classy buddy. Seems like your MO is to insult people instead of having a conversation...especially when people call you out on your hypocrisy.

1 week later
    #5836 1 year ago

Gray ham needs to be on the playfield somewhere.

#6006 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

So...have you ordered your P3 stuff yet or what?
    I just got a shipment in from PBL with some P3 stuff (PD-LED and SW-16). Not sure what all they do and don't have. Multimorphic has the P3-ROC and PD-LED board both on backorder on their site. So hopefully PBL has some for you.
    Gotta keep in the back of your mind Spooky/PBL needs a few hundred P3 systems for their TNA run. And American Pinball is about to announce their next game which will likely be P3 based as well. So lots of actual whales snapping up P3s vs this mini-while endeavor

PBL has the P3 ROC V2 in stock. I've been trying to find a PROC board and haven't found one but saw PBL was carrying most of the other boards. Side note...if anyone has a PROC they want to sell, please message me. Not sure when they will have those back in stock.

#6009 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

You should ask Gerry directly. Also it really sounds like Fast is about to sell their PROC equivalent to the public very soon.

Yeah I already reached out. They don't even know when they will be getting more in. FAST is building a drop in replacement board for WPC machines?

EDIT: Just put two and two together. Forgot they were the ones building the 2.0 kits. Just sent an email out asking about ETA on the retro boards. Thanks for the info!

#6090 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

John having a CPAP is probably the healthiest thing I've heard about his lifestyle

I am just waiting to hear an idea for a CPAP playfield mech idea from you.

#6141 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

They're messy but not so bad once you bundle them out of the way.

You can't daisy chain those lights? Are they not addressable?

#6168 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Tilt champion. How many tilt registers you get within a 3 second period. It's a great idea when mixed with booze! (as an aside, I love games with a tilted bonus high score table)

All of the recent JJP games have inserts dedicated to tracking tilt warnings. I wish more games did that along with gifting extra tilts as bonuses.

#6173 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Have unused tilt warnings cash out as an end of ball bonus. I’d swear I’ve already seen something like this already…

How about a mode that you qualify by accumulating a certain amount of tilt warnings?

#6185 1 year ago

I think some people are getting confused about tilt warnings. They are there to use them. But yeah, abusing a machine is not cool. There is definitely a delineation between nudging into a warning and JO behavior like lifting, slamming or striking a game.

#6198 1 year ago
    Quoted from damageinc55:

What do you need to have completed by the end of October to still be on schedule?

I would be surprised if there is an actual schedule. The only dates that have been mentioned were:

1. When whale search would be cut off
    2. When mini whale search would be cut off
    3. When project begins
    4. TPF reveal

#6324 1 year ago

Blue nubs of death would be on the ball guide… OR IT DIES!

Would be cool if the drops represented hillbilly teeth.

#6348 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Its all part of the plan. Its fine or not.

OR IT DIES!

#6351 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Need to get this posted. - Does spilling beer count as an accident?
    [quoted image]

gray ham (resized).jpggray ham (resized).jpg
    #6434 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Nah, it just adds to the trailer trash theme....

Game now needs a bloody sheets shot.

#6482 1 year ago

Yes Fast Pinball could not find one old or new controller for this build. But is ready for anyone else.

Just let it go dude. FAST has a backlog of orders. There are a lot of us that toy around with home-brews as a hobby and have been waiting for products from FAST. If you jumped the line ahead of me because of your Trailer Trash pin, I would be pissed. No offense, but you don't have any sort of cachet in the pinball business to demand that sort of attention.

#6769 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

There was talk of creating one. Maybe it happened.

It will become self-aware...or IT DIES!

3 weeks later
    #7817 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:So here we are at Nov 1. 33% of the build time has come and gone. I do not need to state the obvious.
    What I do want to say is what this has really become. This is no longer about a pinball build, that is actually the secondary story at this point. This has become a daily, or almost daily blog of one man's daily life. We all know the routine, buses, shopping at Sobey's, cooking at the shop, drinking beer, keeping a wife happy every few days with a 36 pack of beer, and a few minutes of actual work on a pinball machine that someone else is paying for. On top of that, working on everyone else's machines are a priority.
    This is not a joke on any of us. This is a cruel joke that John unconsciously is playing on himself. There is a complete disconnect between the knowledge of how a pinball machine works vs having the knowledge to execute an actual build. This IS the exact same scenarios with John's playfields that went from promises of months to years and years before paid customers got their products. There were lessons to be learned, but once again that disconnect has reared it's ugly head. We are $4K deep here, and there is really nothing here to see. Does anyone else here see that the $10K budget is most likely on the VERY short side?
    We are all witnessing a troubling look at me. The name dropping, the stupid breadcrumbs, the daily beer counts are all of a person screaming for attention. That in itself is very sad. While the products that John eventually put out, the playfields and the backlglasses, were of quality work, the bottom line is they were all financial disasters. It did not put him in the spotlight of the other pinball replacement part manufacturers. He was actually the butt of many jokes. So now this ill conceived Trailer Park Boys machine was going to be his savior, his shining moment, finally at the level of the others in the pinball industry. Well, we all saw how that went and how many jumped at the $100K whale opportunity.
    John finally lands our infamous Iceman as his mini whale. Ice has many stories of his own with upstart pinball builders that have not gone well. The machine has gone from a STERN pro style machine to a STERN style solid state era machine with a 6 month build time. Professionals in the business pointed and laughed and they have all but excused themselves from this thread. 60 days have passed since we were all told that the hardcore work on this build was going to begin. What do we have? Nothing that would suggest anything hardcore has been accomplished.
    On top of that, seeing the amount of work John does for other people all in the name of "having space to work in", I firmly believe John is being taken advantage of.
    I have personally met John at Pinball Expo. He is a VERY happy go lucky guy. He is also a nice guy, but being a nice person doesn't mean you have what it takes for whatever. As others have suggested, most people are in the positions they are in because that is exactly where they put themselves. There are times that being a fly on the wall would most likely generate much disbelief. I cannot view things the way he does. It's so oddly different that it becomes appealing to those of us following all of this.
    What does it all mean? It means John has set himself up for personal failure. Along the way it has also become sad. The desire for attention in the pinball world, the drinking, the self deprecation over his poverty level and more and more I think a poor relationship with his wife. I feel for the guy, but at the same time wonder how someone can go through life with such blinders?
    What is it we are all waiting for at this point? It's not for a machine to be built, we all know better. It's the next hammer to a computer, the next paneling playfield dropped and smashed, it's the next grey ham or expired funeral sandwiches, the next 12 plus beer count, the next off the wall comment that has nothing to do with anything or the next kick of the can down the road because it's impossible for him to work on more than 1 thing towards the build at a time.
    So yep, I will carry on, keep reading this thread and wait for the next head shaking moment to happen. Why not? I have 3 months in on all of this. Might as well see how it ends. I predict, not well.

Do you really expect us to read that wall of text?

#7818 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

What the hell has $4K been spent on ?

Gray ham, suitcases, irregular sized hot dogs, and nickel slots.

#7824 1 year ago

Eh, no I didn't. Hence the question *shrug*

#7880 1 year ago

You are over thinking to much ... it's all going to according to master plan
    .... or not and it dies
    No profound analysis is going to tell us anything we don't already know nor change GWJ's life course and actions.
    Nobody makes changes until they are ready no matter how many people try to help
    He's enjoying trying to make a machine and being the center of attention .. so be it

The wall of text comes off as a self-indulgent rant. There is nothing that hasn't been discussed before except now everyone is making assumptions about John's personal life....some of it is definitely crossing the line. I hope this thread moves back to more silly entertainment and less judging/finger pointing.

200w.gif200w.gif
    #7948 1 year ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Can anyone give me a brief update on John's progress?

TPF 2023, OR IT DIES!

#8180 1 year ago

Dude tell your apprentice to wear a face mask and tie his hair back. He is practically French kissing that orbital sander.

#8190 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

If he is your apprentice, you are responsible for his safety.

That kid needs to put on a pair of shoes or boots while in a workshop as well.

#8197 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Some amateur soldering while standing and wearing sandals should do the trick.

Here is John's other apprentice. Thankfully she is wearing eye protection but she might want to invest in some gloves lol

pnovkwmfdxmuwtuazztc (resized).jpgpnovkwmfdxmuwtuazztc (resized).jpg

#8301 1 year ago

My only request in this thread:

More greatwichjohn and AviRoo

Less vdojaq

Please and thank you.

#8307 1 year ago

easy to take care of that for you, use the ignore function to hide all his posts

I said less. I actually like his posts. Just sometimes it gets out of hand and I start to wonder if he gets paid per word

3 weeks later
    #9438 1 year ago

So what is your WPD average?

#9600 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I love that we now have fall guys here in the thread and that John waited 3 months to introduce these new characters. I mean getting sick and the inevitable contractor and parts delays are tired and stale excuses. But man that Mr BMW, I can’t wait to see how we wrecks the whitewood or sets the workshop on fire or prevents John from finishing by emptying the pop machine himself. So many angles to explore here, plot twists to unfold. You may know the outcome, but it’s that manner in which we get to that outcome that remains so very interesting. It’s a page turner for sure.

Seriously if you followed his playfield thread, we are only on chapter 2 of 12. 5 years from now John is still going to be posting pictures of gray ham while coach pretends that he isn't bothered that he flushed 10K down the toilet. It's all in the plan, or not...until it dies!

#9653 1 year ago

but lately I react to certain marinating sauce.

9FD96382-424E-4CF4-9691-7B0E513F858C (resized).jpeg9FD96382-424E-4CF4-9691-7B0E513F858C (resized).jpeg
    #9754 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

We need a TV running classic porn in the background.

We need a toy in game of a TV running classic porn.

#9759 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

how about a porn mode where the upper flipper is always up
    start a "4 hour timer" and make shots to put it back down, else all the lights go blue and you drain out

Needs the custom callout "My wife looks after my needs, no need to jack off at the shop."

#9761 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I wonder if an idea like that was on the planning board for Zingy Bingy (the smart-drop "panty-drop" feature guarding a vagina saucer is pure gold)

Ah yes, from the mind of Python.

1 week later
    #10447 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Any idea's fellas? I'll sincerely consider anyone's suggestions about which way i should approach it.

Don’t worry about theme or artwork or rules right now. All of those things will just distract you. Just focus on getting a flipping white wood.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Palmer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching?tu=Palmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.