Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 213.
    #351 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Can you clarify .... is this 100k USD or CAD

Oddly enough, he keeps saying a US whale, so I am assuming US dollars.

#352 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Can you clarify .... is this 100k USD or CAD

It has to be US$.

Real life story: I have seen a drawing on a napkin go to a engineer in the past, & he approved it. But it did come with his new blue prints.

Do not know how I am a fraud to use readily available pinball parts, like anyone else. Not inventing new electronics or other available pinball stuff.

#353 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Oddly enough, he keeps saying a US whale,

Since the US has almost three hundred million more people than Canada. Maybe the US has more whales ?

And US has about 5 times as many real whales.

LTG : )

#354 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

It has to be US$. I guess if I use readily available pinball parts, & electronics your logic is what?

Well like your idea I have no logic to my question other then if you were speaking in terms of CAD then a US "whale" would only be investing around 77k with the exchange rate. A difference of 23k but again you're looking for that whale that doesn't care about money so 23k is irrelevant!

On a serious note .... what is your go to beer brand?

#355 1 year ago

It has to be US$.
    Real life story: I have seen a drawing on a napkin go to a engineer in the past, & he approved it. But it did come with his new blue prints.
    Do not know how I am a fraud to use readily available pinball parts, like anyone else. Not inventing new electronics or other available pinball stuff.

If you're re-using ramps, doesnt that mean you're playfield is gonna resemble whatever pin used those ramps? Plus you said 100% custom now it's not you really need to put this on paper so people don't continue to think you're a fraud.

Or just realize it's already dead.

#356 1 year ago

I am not allowed to talk about my other favorite activity outside of pinball. That being said I almost always go for the lowest price, or in the past what gave me something extra for free for buying a case. For those that actually watched the short clip from Pintastic from TNT.
    I am going on to Steve Ritchie not to drink my $8 craft beer, & thought it was a rip off. Just like the pricing in the hotel bar. Lucky for me the liquor store is next to the venue, & I had my $1 Canadian cans at the Duty Free at the border. Learned that you could buy as many as you want going to the USA. My wife gets her Bud by the suitcase (36). My time is spent at a local operators work shop. So I have a place to build at.

#357 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

If you're re-using ramps, doesnt that mean you're playfield is gonna resemble whatever pin used those ramps? Plus you said 100% custom now it's not you really need to put this on paper so people don't continue to think you're a fraud.
    Or just realize it's already dead.

It will be a custom pinball machine. Do not know what more you want me to say. Guess that logic goes towards all the pinball machines made already.

#358 1 year ago

That being said I almost always go for the lowest price

I envy those that can drink the cheaper beers. I got hooked on the imperial stouts aged in bourbon and they dont come cheap but I love the taste. The cheaper beers just don't have enough flavor to them. I would save a lot of money if I liked the cheaper styles.

It will be a custom pinball machine. Do not know what more you want me to say. Guess that logic goes towards all the pinball machines made already.

I believe he's eluding to the fact that if you're using ramps from another game then your game will not be 100% custom.

This can go either way as all pinball manufacturers have reused parts in other machines but not sure about ramps. Ramps are typically unique to a machine???

#359 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

This can go either way as all pinball manufacturers have reused parts in other machines but not sure about ramps. Ramps are typically unique to a machine???

Gomez reused a ramp from Batman on Deadpool (twice). He was short on time when the original DP layout was scrapped after Trudeau was arrested and fired in the middle of the build. The lift ramp on the prem/le was reused from Mustang.

#360 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:The whales are out there, you just have to find the right one.

john's whale watching song.

whalewatching (resized).jpgwhalewatching (resized).jpg

#361 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

Gomez reused a ramp from Batman on Deadpool (twice). He was short on time when the original DP layout was scrapped after Trudeau was arrested and fired in the middle of the build. The lift ramp on the prem/le was reused from Mustang.

Also, Monday Night Football and Hook share ramps. The skillshot and Rufio ramps come from the same mold, but are cut slightly differently for MNF. Taking ramps and cutting them down into something else is fair game for a homebrewer, IMO.

#362 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

You’re not even looking. You’re just hoping one stumbles across you on this forum.
    The World’s Worst Marketing Plan continues, unabated.

Are there many whales on Pinside?

#363 1 year ago

John, I would suggest checking out the Shady Maple buffet in Lancaster, PA. Last time I was there, they had whales dining by the bus load. I don't recommend the food though.

#364 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

John, I would suggest checking out the Shady Maple buffet in Lancaster, PA. Last time I was there, they had whales dining by the bus load. I don't recommend the food though.

Is that still a big tourist attraction. We've been there a couple times.

#365 1 year ago

Thar she blows

#366 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Wouldn't it be great if GWJ finds a whale and the first designer he reaches out to is...BEN!

No thanks. I'm starting code for Spooky's next-next game this week.

#367 1 year ago

Putting down the idea of using existing ramps is like dissing an architect because the building uses a conventional door. Would it be ok if he didn’t reinvent the pop bumper?

#368 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Is that still a big tourist attraction. We've been there a couple times.

I guess it is...but I avoid it like the plague. Lancaster County "PA Dutch cooking" for is code for just adding a bunch of sugar to everything. Most natives think mayonnaise is too spicy, and their cooking shows it. So it's pretty gross to me.

#369 1 year ago

Do not know what more you want me to say.

tell us more about the GOLD !!!

As for the licensed title if a rich whale is found there will be gold in the game. It will be one of a kind, not what goes into production BOM if it gets picked up.

#370 1 year ago

Not so much a problem using preexisting ramps as it is claiming it will be the most blinged out game in the history of pinball. If you're using a preexisting ramp compromises in the design will be necessary.

People looking for the cheapest beer are usually just looking to get wasted. I'm not saying that's John's angle, maybe he's just thrifty. Some people like rolling rock, Coors and Miller genital draft. There's an ass for every seat!

#371 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Putting down the idea of using existing ramps is like dissing an architect because the building uses a conventional door. Would it be ok if he didn’t reinvent the pop bumper?

No he said this was gonna be 100% custom. I don't expect under play field mechs and things like that to be custom but shouldn't the pin and it's gameplay be 100% custom? I thought that's what he was alluding to and that's what his pitch was? Maybe I'm mistaken. If I'm not mistaken, then reusing a ramp is gonna be reusing some portion of another pin that will play similarly and his gameplay is not 100% custom. Anyway no one's gonna give him a $100000 so it's kind of pointless.

#372 1 year ago

I call semantics. Take a standard ramp, put it on a new pf, and it’s custom.

Your argument is like saying that most Stern pins are all the same because the ball shoots to the same three rollover lanes into a set of three weak ass pops… oh, wait a minute …

Well, maybe that's not a good analogy, but unless it’s the same ramp on the same pf in the same place, it’s custom.

#373 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

No he said this was gonna be 100% custom. I don't expect under play field Max and things like that to be custom but shouldn't the pin and it's gameplate B 100% custom? I thought that's what he was alluding to and that's what his pitch was? Maybe I'm mistaken. If I'm not mistaken, then reusing a ramp is gonna be reusing some portion of another pin that will play similarly and his gameplay is not 100% custom. Anyway no one's gonna give him a $100000 so it's kind of pointless.

Well I am not going to spend $7k US on custom ramps unless they are gold plated, & whale is found. I do drink higher end beverages also. just like my favorite free oysters night. Ben is busy & there are lots of retired pinball designers & artists that are not on Pinside Most Hated Club.

#374 1 year ago

Never expected a pinside thread to have me Googling, "Are lobotomies still legal in Canada?" but here we are...(they are banned in Ontario, but seem to be legal everywhere else)

#375 1 year ago

Zzzzzzzz....wheres gryszzz.....zzzzz...

#376 1 year ago

Ben is not busy, everyone knows Spooky doesn't work on the code until after the game is released!!! (too soon?)

All in good fun Ben!

#377 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I call semantics. Take a standard ramp, put it on a new pf, and it’s custom.
    Your argument is like saying that most Stern pins are all the same because the ball shoots to the same three rollover lanes into a set of three weak ass pops… oh, wait a minute …
    Well, maybe that's not a good analogy, but unless it’s the same ramp on the same pf in the same place, it’s custom.

Semantics is the excuse people use when losing a debate.

He said 100% custom. If he is reusing a ramp from a previous pin, that in no way, shape, or form can be 100% custom gameplay. Somehow that reused ramp is going to mimic another pin and its gameplay.

Words and the meaning behind them matter.

#378 1 year ago

Well I am not going to spend $7k US on custom ramps unless they are gold plated, & whale is found. I do drink higher end beverages also. just like my favorite free oysters night. Ben is busy & there are lots of retired pinball designers & artists that are not on Pinside Most Hated Club.

If i am giving you $100,000 you most certainly are.

What else do you plan to skimp on, besides using yellowed plastic ramps?

#379 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

If he is reusing a ramp from a previous pin, that in no way, shape, or form can be 100% custom gameplay. Somehow that reused ramp is going to mimic another pin and its gameplay.

Not that I disagree with you, as this thing/vision/dream is never going to be built…and if it is it won’t reach the level of quality that Predator even attained…but John Borg has used very similar ramps in basically the same location on Austin Powers, Iron Man, Avatar, Metallica, and GOTG (probably more that I am forgetting, Borg loves that ramp location and design)…and those games do all feel very different from one another.

#380 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not that I disagree with you, as this thing/vision/dream is never going to be built…and if it is it won’t reach the level of quality that Predator even attained…but John Borg has used very similar ramps in basically the same location on Austin Powers, Iron Man, Tron, Avatar, Metallica, and GOTG (probably more that I am forgetting, Borg loves that ramp location and design)…and those games do all feel very different from one another.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize that he offered 100% one-off games for $100000, my apologies.

Your knowledge of Borg design is commendable though.

#381 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not that I disagree with you, as this thing/vision/dream is never going to be built…and if it is it won’t reach the level of quality that Predator even attained…but John Borg has used very similar ramps in basically the same location on Austin Powers, Iron Man, Tron, Avatar, Metallica, and GOTG (probably more that I am forgetting, Borg loves that ramp location and design)…and those games do all feel very different from one another.

Which brings up a great point actually, I'd rather pay someone $20000 to completely reskin and retheme a known great layout.

Not that I plan on doing it but that's what I would do and save $80000.

#382 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Somehow that reused ramp is going to mimic another pin and its gameplay.

I'm not so sure about that. Just because you take an existing ramp doesn't mean you have to put in the same location. A different location could make a game play very differently. Since he wouldn't be paying for tooling he could also use one of the more intricate ramps you don't typically get with home brews.

#383 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You are a fraud and wanna be thief.

I think that is harsh and untrue.
    I think the fair description is clueless which will lead to lost money from a whale, but I don't think his intentions are to steal money

#384 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I think that is harsh and untrue.

I agree. GWJ may have some unorthodox ideas, but I don't think he is thieving. Do I think he can produce a pin in 6 months from scratch? No, I think the timeline is unrealistic. If he gets an "investor/patron/whale" I believe he will produce something eventually. Time will tell.

#385 1 year ago

I’ve been trying to figure out the license and the one that keeps coming to mind is “Dumb and Dumber.”

But, after reading through this thread and the original whale hunt thread, I think that’s giving GWJ too much credit.

So, I’m putting my money on “Dumb and Dumber 2”

#386 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I’ve been trying to figure out the license and the one that keeps coming to mind is “Dumb and Dumber.”
    But, after reading through this thread and the original whale hunt thread, I think that’s giving GWJ too much credit.
    So, I’m putting my money on “Dumb and Dumber 2”

He already said it is Trailer Park Boys, so you were very very close.

#387 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I believe he will produce something eventually.

I'm sorry, but there's no fucking way in hell!

Look up "train wreck" in the dictionary and John's pic will be next to it.

#388 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm sorry, but there's no fucking way in hell!
    Look up "train wreck" in the dictionary and John's pic will be next to it.

I said I believe he will produce "something"... I used a very broad term purposefully.

Pretty sure Deeproots logo is still posted next to train wreck

#389 1 year ago

The hunt continues for the big whale investor.

#390 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You are a fraud and wanna be thief. This will never work.

Man, you are a man with a mission. Why do you care about this so much that you make these strong allegations? GWJ doesn't deserve this.

#391 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Man, you are a man with a mission. Why do you care about this so much that you make these strong allegations? GWJ doesn't deserve this.

Why? 1st he said it's a 100% Custom and now it's not. What else is going to change that we won't know about until too late? There's been too much fraud in the pinball world we should not be encouraging this type of behavior. To be fair I guess he hasn't committed fraud at this point.

Put your money down though.

#392 1 year ago

If John fails to get his whale, I hope he tells us with a post that is as memorable as the final words of the greatest failed whale hunter of them all.

“Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!”

This thread could be as long as Moby Dick by the time it is done. And I really think John should change is avatar to Captain Ahab

#393 1 year ago

John,

What does your "hunt" entail? I am hoping it's more than just your posts on Pinside stating that you are hunting?

#394 1 year ago

Admit it, now you are just fucking with us

bravo-clapping.gifbravo-clapping.gif
    #395 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

If John fails to get his whale, I hope he tells us with a post that is as memorable as the final words of the greatest failed whale hunter of them all.
    “Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!”
    This thread could be as long as Moby Dick by the time it is done. And I really think John should change is avatar to Captain Ahab

I’m thinking more old man and the sea here.

So you gotta give GWJ a couple nods if we are being fair. 1) He doesn’t seem fazed with whatever is thrown at him 2) Perseverance rates a 10 for his commitment to his idea.

That still doesn’t get you a finished pin if you seemingly have no idea what you are about to undertake. But all the same they ain’t bad personality traits to have. If we could just get rid of the delusional aspects here he’d probably be ok.

50B39EE7-4BC9-446D-9C13-FBD29F80B74F (resized).jpeg50B39EE7-4BC9-446D-9C13-FBD29F80B74F (resized).jpeg
    #396 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

John,
    What does your "hunt" entail? I am hoping it's more than just your posts on Pinside stating that you are hunting?

Actually, that's it!

#397 1 year ago

Admit it, now you are just fucking with us[quoted image]

It's not even a hunt. A hunt would imply some sort of determination. He's lazily asking for 100K on an online forum with no evidence of any business plan. He has 0.0 percent chance of making this happen.

animal-house-zero-point-zero.gifanimal-house-zero-point-zero.gif
    #398 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Why? 1st he said it's a 100% Custom and now it's not. What else is going to change that we won't know about until too late? There's been too much fraud in the pinball world we should not be encouraging this type of behavior. To be fair I guess he hasn't committed fraud at this point.
    Put your money down though.

So much to be concerned about and reusing a production ramp is what you choose to hang your hat on? Now that’s pretty bizarre actually…

I have spent many hours looking at all the ramps Marco has for sale and imagine how I could incorporate them into a homebrew. That alone makes my design unoriginal? GTFO…

#399 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I’m thinking more old man and the sea here.
    So you gotta give GWJ a couple nods if we are being fair. 1) He doesn’t seem fazed with whatever is thrown at him 2) Perseverance rates a 10 for his commitment to his idea.
    That still doesn’t get you a finished pin if you seemingly have no idea what you are about to undertake. But all the same they ain’t bad personality traits to have. If we could just get rid of the delusional aspects here he’d probably be ok.
    [quoted image]

Certainly the old man was more about determination despite repeated failures vs being driven by obsession, but it is a marlin not a whale and he does eventually get it.

So are saying you believe John will land his big fish?

#400 1 year ago

Admit it, now you are just fucking with us[quoted image]

No this is a real hunt for hopefully a big whale investor, & now actively expanding the hunt to Canada & the World. Custom pinball, guess I should not use 100% if I did so it is now changed. I have worked on hundreds of pinball games, & still do in my wide area. Same with numerous playfield changeouts, & cabinet repairs.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/8?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.