Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 213.
    #4051 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Best options for the project? I have a couple in mind and a few outside of pinball.

One again, you are doing this for John, well, because he has no clue.

#4052 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

The budget never made any sense whatsoever. The notion that one custom machine can be done for 10k is ludicrous. The only reason it has even gotten this far is that the designer is working for free and gave the project a free design. How can custom work be completed for under 10k unless everyone is working for free. So my advice is similar to rd. Find someone who will basically work for free. Maybe an art student who needs a school project?

Maybe they hired everyone off Fiverr

#4053 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

One again, you are doing this for John, well, because he has no clue.

I have more up my sleeve than you guys know. Same with a artist, but I will leave that for the coach to see if he wants industry talent. Beer count #1 with my own lunch at the bar. Not BYOB, but you can bring in food since the kitchen closed years ago. Too many health conscious people not drinking or as much. Still remember the 7 oz. draft wars of the mid eighties. Keep bringing a huge tray full for the table, & they would be gone quickly. Rinse & repeat until you had your limit.

Doug Parsons is a good guy to program the game. Like I said he was offered a fulltime job by Andrew Heighway to work remotely. He dodged a big one by that not going ahead. He has his day job with the province, can do work at home, & see the whitewood when it gets going.

Again Jon Norris is getting $500 USD per game built, to his charity of choice. Hopefully more than just the 1 or 2 pins to be built for Texas in March 2023.

#4054 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I have more up my sleeve than you guys know. Same with a artist, but I will leave that for the coach to see if he wants industry talent.

Was your industry artist included in your original price quote of 10K ?

#4055 1 year ago

Hopefully more than just the 1 or 2 pins to be built for Texas in March 2023.

Here is a harsh reality.

You can hope in one hand and take a dump in your other hand. Guess which one will fill faster?

#4056 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Maybe they hired everyone off Fiverr

Honestly Fiverr is worth considering for some cheap art and voice call outs

#4057 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Was your industry artist included in your original price quote of 10K ?

No. There is lots of non industry talent that can do a good job. Again the sleuths are slow on knowing that past history.

#4058 1 year ago

beer count is way too low today. John, it is 12:06 and one beer for lunch? Did you finish the last half of lunch dry? This is preposterous! Sep 1 can’t get here fast enough.

#4059 1 year ago

Ben I did not even get a phone call. Just the C & D to not contact them again or the boys.

Jeez. You don't even understand metaphor. You're going to make a shit-tacular game.

#4060 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

beer count is way too low today. John, it is 12:06 and one beer for lunch? Did you finish the last half of lunch dry? This is preposterous! Sep 1 can’t get here fast enough.

It is Thursday, time for Guinness & 2 free oysters this afternoon. Got to pace myself. The operator & I just moved a bunch of pins & vids around the shop. Only 5 more days until the official start of the project.

I will be thinking of Ben at the bar & all his insight to get a job well done or not. DOA might not be the case for SXSW & TPF 2023.

#4061 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Yes there is a good old Coke machine to fill with beer during the project. Keep me here, not like Jpop having to go out for his coffee often. But you know I will still get out to the bars & barcades. Got to have a social life!

#4062 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:Yes there is a good old Coke machine to fill with beer during the project. Keep me here, not like Jpop having to go out for his coffee often. But you know I will still get out to the bars & barcades. Got to have a social life!

This may be the most frustrating of threads, but I love it anyway.....

Cheers,

#4063 1 year ago

I'm just wondering how many of you minions can GWJ catch in his shit-snare! Mr. Lahey would of been impressed!

#4064 1 year ago

Again the sleuths are slow on knowing that past history.

I'm doing my best to keep up with your cryptic messages. But the last of the Navajo Windtalkers just died and I'm struggling.

#4065 1 year ago

Doug Parsons is a good guy to program the game. Like I said he was offered a fulltime job by Andrew Heighway to work remotely. He dodged a big one by that not going ahead. He has his day job with the province, can do work at home, & see the whitewood when it gets going.

Dodged a big one with Heighway and yet he has chosen to work with you ? You do realize Heighway actually made pinballs, more than one. Many people would in fact say Orbital dodged a big one here.

#4066 1 year ago

Yes there is a good old Coke machine to fill with beer during the project. Keep me here, not like Jpop having to go out for his coffee often. But you know I will still get out to the bars & barcades. Got to have a social life!

The other question one has to ask is does the part of the project you work on depend on the beer count at that time of the day. Do you think there are project aspects you do better having had 1 beer versus 9 ?

#4067 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm doing my best to keep up with your cryptic messages. But the last of the Navajo Windtalkers just died and I'm struggling.

Kim I had a Canadian artist do a Dolly Parton conversion many years back. It was fairly simply done art, but professional looking. This build will look like a commercial pinball machine of the past & likely the future, or some place in between. Doug the lone investor so far will have his say of what the build should be like. Or I got my own ideas to use, maybe on napkins or not.

Jon Norris brings a lot to the table with the playfield layout, & other stuff. I bring something or not to get this build done. I do not mind being the underdog, fool, drunk, or any other thing people think I am. People will likely be shocked over the 6 month build, or maybe they wait to see like Ben DOA for Texas. Seems like the betting pool has been quiet the last few days.

#4068 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

The other question one has to ask is does the part of the project you work on depend on the beer count at that time of the day. Do you think there are project aspects you do better having had 1 beer versus 9 ?

From experience, beer helps when stripping and crimping a hundred wires (otherwise your head would smash into the workbench from the tedium). That's about it...

#4069 1 year ago

Kim I had a Canadian artist do a Dolly Parton conversion many years back. It was fairly simply done art, but professional looking. This build will look like a commercial pinball machine of the past & likely the future, or some place in between. Doug the lone investor so far will have his say of what the build should be like. Or I got my own ideas to use, maybe on napkins or not.
    Jon Norris brings a lot to the table with the playfield layout, & other stuff. I bring something or not to get this build done. I do not mind being the underdog, fool, drunk, or any other thing people think I am. People will likely be shocked over the 6 month build, or maybe they wait to see like Ben DOA for Texas. Seems like the betting pool has been quiet the last few days.

The coder is who needs to bring the most to the project, because they'll have the most work by far.

And again, I think most people think you will bring something to TPF. It being worth anywhere near 10k in value is what is in doubt.

#4070 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Dodged a big one with Heighway and yet he has chosen to work with you ? You do realize Heighway actually made pinballs, more than one. Many people would in fact say Orbital dodged a big one here.

Or likely I dodged a big one there. He was too excited, & likely too juiced up on legal weed. Lots of pinball guys like the legal weed in Canada & USA. He also likes to drink beer, like most Canadian males. If you listen to his podcasts talking with or with out me that he is not a fan, & believes nothing will be done. Maybe another super fan of TPB, but I was never going to use him for his plan of being some cheap ass mini whale investor. Time for him to sell some more coffee & tea. You guys should buy some, good for him & he lives in a rural area. Show some love, & know why you do not like to listen to people sing jingles or birthday crap. Even Kaneda buys his coffee, maybe looking for some free swag.

#4071 1 year ago

This build will look like a commercial pinball machine of the past & likely the future, or some place in between. .

This might be my favorite quote to date.

#4072 1 year ago

Or likely I dodged a big one there. He was too excited, & likely too juiced up on legal weed. Lots of pinball guys like the legal weed in Canada & USA. He also likes to drink beer, like most Canadian males. If you listen to his podcasts talking with or with out me that he is not a fan, & believes nothing will be done. Maybe another super fan of TPB, but I was never going to use him for his plan of being some cheap ass mini whale investor. Time for him to sell some more coffee & tea. You guys should buy some, good for him & he lives in a rural area. Show some love, & know why you do not like to listen to people sing jingles or birthday crap.

Oh really, you're telling me most of the people you've talked to have shown the most interest when inebriated? Color me surprised.

#4073 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobF:

This might be my favorite quote to date.

Got to cover all the bases, but I will say it will not be a EM.

#4074 1 year ago

Got cover all the bases, but I will say it will not be a EM.

Time will tell, John. Time will tell. The breadcrumbs are there if you're willing to follow them. David Fix.

#4075 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Oh really, you're telling me most of the people you've talked to have shown the most interest when inebriated? Color me surprised.

Seems to work for me with all the pinball manufacturers, designers, artists, & others in the business over the years. Most know who I am, & that I drink a lot of beer being a Canadian. Always enjoy myself at the pinball shows!

#4076 1 year ago

I drink to make other people more interesting.

#4077 1 year ago

Does this guy talk about ANYTHING other than beer?

Project is going tank.

#4078 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The coder is who needs to bring the most to the project, because they'll have the most work by far.
    And again, I think most people think you will bring something to TPF. It being worth anywhere near 10k in value is what is in doubt.

He will bring a lot as a good player, & as programmer. Not like Orbital Albert. Doug Parsons has worked a bunch of places, even in Houston. More than able to get this future game working.

#4079 1 year ago

A coke machine full of beer in the shop does sound pretty fantastic.

#4080 1 year ago

TRENDING UP: GWJ talking shit.

Jpop and Orbital Albert best mind their Ps and Qs.

#4081 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I use to own a beast of a Pepsi one back at the house. Most pinball guys in my area have bottle pop machines, & it seems like 1 in 4 is a outdoor model. You can usually get a decent working one around $300 USD, in the past. Maybe they have gone up a little more with Covid, but are still cheap compared to buying a pinball machine.

#4082 1 year ago

This build will look like a commercial pinball machine of the past & likely the future, or some place in between. .

algwj (resized).jpgalgwj (resized).jpg
    #4083 1 year ago

Wouldn't a beer dispensing soda machine cause every beer to foam over after it drops down the chute?

#4084 1 year ago

I have a very serious question for John.

Why?

You are doing nothing but assembling this machine. You are not designing anything, you are not coding anything, you are not creating any art, you are not creating any music or call outs, you are not creating anything of your own. You are assembling a whitewood created by Jon Norris. You are using an idea with everyone else's creations. You would at least think you would have created/drawn your own playfield idea, then got Jon Norris to help you with that. This again, is just like the whole back glass and playfield project you did. You had everyone else do all the artwork files and the leg work. All you did was send it all to the printers.

So again, I ask, WHY?

#4085 1 year ago

You get a mini door bottle vendor. Not a can machine! Most people dump the can pop ones, & get a bottle one. You guys need to get one, keep the beer cold.

#4086 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Why?
    You are doing nothing but assembling this machine. You are not designing anything, you are not coding anything, you are not creating any art, you are not creating any music or call outs, you are not creating anything of your own. You are assembling a whitewood created by Jon Norris. You are using an idea with everyone else's creations. You would at least think you would have created/drawn your own playfield idea, then got Jon Norris to help you with that. This again, is just like the whole back glass and playfield project you did. You had everyone else do all the artwork files and the leg work. All you did was send it all to the printers.
    So again, I ask, WHY?

I have always stated not a art or color guy. Could do some basic coding, & I can do more than what you think. The build still has not started yet. Should wait another week. I am honoring my promise to you, try not to bait me!

#4087 1 year ago

time for Guinness & 2 free oysters this afternoon.

old Coke machine to fill with beer during the project.

I do not mind being the underdog, fool, drunk, or any other thing people think I am.

He also likes to drink beer, like most Canadian males. .

Most know who I am, & that I drink a lot of beer

keep the beer cold.

Quotes just from this page. Now I want a beer! Gotta stay off pinside at work...

#4088 1 year ago

I have always stated not a art or color guy. Could do some basic coding, & I can do more than what you think. The build still has not started yet. Should wait another week. I am honoring my promise to you, try not to bait me!

What can you code in? Ye Olde Fortran?

Olde_Fortran_Malt_Liquor (1) (resized).jpgOlde_Fortran_Malt_Liquor (1) (resized).jpg
    #4089 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Am I correct in recalling that fellow Canadian upstart Pinball Adventures is also all about baltic birch?

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/guest-post-pinball-adventures-first-machine-punny-factory-is-almost-ready/

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.35.21 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.35.21 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.36.04 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.36.04 AM (resized).png

#4090 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:I have a very serious question for John.
    Why?
    So again, I ask, WHY?

Because he can,apparently.

#4091 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Quotes just from this page. Now I want a beer! Gotta stay off pinside at work...

My beer count has risen at least 15% since I started watching this thread! Should be a disclaimer: This thread will lead to drinking and may cause a relapse if you are trying to stay clean and sober!

#4092 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Why?
    So again, I ask, WHY?

I ask, why do you care so much?
    Also I ask, why do you think you will get a satisfactory coherent answer from John?

#4093 1 year ago

Make a pinball machine that also vends beer and I'm in.

#4094 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Make a pinball machine that also vends beer and I'm in.

Been done already.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/117014

#4095 1 year ago

John, Do you think your game will be anywhere as good as Punny Factory? If not, why not buy one from Pinball Adventures and help them ship it to Ice. That will be the best $10k ($11.2k CAD) he ever spent.

#4096 1 year ago

Well um..then...make a pinball machine that also su-- n/m.

#4097 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I ask, why do you care so much?

Because this is a pinball forum and it's ok to ask questions out of curiosity.

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Also I ask, why do you think you will get a satisfactory coherent answer from John?

Obviously not. His answer was a complete non answer.

#4098 1 year ago

John, none of this answers the question. It's not bait, it's a legit question out of pure curiosity.

#4099 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Why?
    So again, I ask, WHY?

Ego. Clout. Rubbing elbows. Getting the TPB to be his BFFs. And hopefully a pinball industry job.

It's all in vain, this is just a redneck saying "when I win the lottery" with extra steps.

#4100 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I bought this Vendo 39 coke machine for $50 in 1985 for my small bachelor pad apartment. It was the 1st and only coin-op machine for my sparse "gameroom," which was just some open space between the kitchen and the bedroom. I was young and broke, saddled with large student loan debt.

I used to fill that coke machine with beer and imagine the day when I might be lucky enough to own a pinball machine. My girlfriend humored me.

That coke machine has remained with me for 37 years and counting. It still functions well. Dozens of pinball and arcade games have passed through my line-up during those years so I consider myself very fortunate.

I don't drink much now and never have. However, it has become a ritual to pull out a cold Corona from that old Vendo whenever I begin restoring a new arrival. It's the equivalent of a champagne christening, but without the broken glass.
    Screenshot_20220825-155923_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220825-155923_Gallery (resized).jpg

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/82?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.