Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 213.
    #4001 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

As for this thread and project I don’t see why we wouldn’t continue to have fun with it for the next six months.
    Contrary to what some might believe I’m not doing this “out of spite” to Ben or anyone else.
    Don’t need or care about the attention. I do like hanging out and seeing what happens.
    #1 I like John and his attitude. And I like the “underdog”
    I think he’s being underestimated in what he and his crew can accomplish. I get the skepticism, they say “pinball is hard”.
    No need to make any more out of this than it really is, just a fun pinball project.
    My next thing is working on an artist for the game with John.
    Who could that be? How much?

Can we get John worked into the artwork? Maybe hanging out at a bar pounding back the beer, 8 empty glasses next to him?

#4002 1 year ago

Anyone else pumped for the debut machine from a new rules designer?

ZMeny should have Coach Ice co-host an episode of The Pinball Show and discuss his design philosophy (Moment maker or score chaser?), influences (A Dwight, Lonnie, or Lyman acolyte, or a visionary for which there is no precedent?), and overall development approach/process.

#4003 1 year ago

It will be the first pinball machine literally designed on bar napkins.

#4004 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It will be the first pinball machine literally designed on bar napkins.

Hey now, Steve Ritchie allegedly drew Flash on an airplane cocktail menu. Sold nearly 20k

#4005 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Hey now, Steve Ritchie allegedly drew Flash on an airplane cocktail menu. Sold nearly 20k

Sure but GWJ is no Steve Ritchie.

#4006 1 year ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

So that explains it.
    When I saw John's heart was red I thought his conscious finally kicked in for using Robin's website for promotion all this time without donating a few bucks of his beer money.
    I should have known better.

I usually donate but most people know about the personal bankruptcy & other financial burdens from winding down my past pinball business. Along with my early retirement after health issues from working 6 days a week for the city. Still have some health problems but I feel way better now. Getting in & out of a F-250 for 10 years was brutal. My right hip is better, likely need surgery, & might need surgery on my other foot (left). Lost some feeling in my right foot after surgery. Taking it easy tonight after my morning spill.

I will meet with a new cnc contractor for the cabinet in the fall.

#4007 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

ZMeny should have Coach Ice co-host an episode of The Pinball Show and discuss his design philosophy (Moment maker or score chaser?), influences (A Dwight, Lonnie, or Lyman acolyte, or a visionary for which there is no precedent?), and overall development approach/process.

I would think those would be from me & the local programmer people here still have not named so far. Many breadcrumbs for a trail have been thrown out there.

#4008 1 year ago

Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I would think those would be from me & the local programmer people here still have not named so far. Many breadcrumbs for a trail have been thrown out there.

Update @zmeny. Please see above.

#4009 1 year ago

The plywood will likely be the same Baltic Birch with very thin hard maple veneer that I used previously for Star Gazer & Seawitch playfields. Same cnc at the sign shop will cut the playfield.

I'm curious about this as woodworking is my main passion. Baltic birch is birch, with a birch veneer. It is 5 x 5 sheets as opposed to 'standard' 4x8. If I need maple or mahogany or walnut or any other veneer, I buy veneer core plywood with the desired veneer. Maple (veneer core) 4x8 runs me about $90/sheet while Baltic Birch is a touch more; however, 5x5, so price per sq/ft is a lot more. So are you getting baltic birch or maple (veneer core)? Just curious if you misspoke or if they have some odd (to me) 5x5 maple ply available in Canada?

#4010 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

I'm curious about this as woodworking is my main passion. Baltic birch is birch, with a birch veneer. It is 5 x 5 sheets as opposed to 'standard' 4x8. If I need maple or mahogany or walnut or any other veneer, I buy veneer core plywood with the desired veneer. Maple (veneer core) 4x8 runs me about $90/sheet while Baltic Birch is a touch more; however, 5x5, so price per sq/ft is a lot more. So are you getting baltic birch or maple (veneer core)? Just curious if you misspoke or if they have some odd (to me) 5x5 maple ply available in Canada?

Am I correct in recalling that fellow Canadian upstart Pinball Adventures is also all about baltic birch?

#4011 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

https://robertbury.com/

I tried talking about wood at Pintastic seminar & that did not go well. 4 x 8 sheets in half inch with thin maple ply both sides, no voids or boat tails inserts. Looking to see where a thicker hard maple veneer can be installed on top from Canada. Very expensive plywood but have used it in the past for my playfield productions.

#4012 1 year ago

John saying who his contractors are really devalues what he has to bring to the table as primary contractor.

This is a show not tell industry these days.

#4013 1 year ago

To those questioning what John brings to the table, don't forget that a) this entire fever dream was his idea and b) his guerilla marketing it is what hooked daddy big bucks to (hopefully) make it a reality.

#4014 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

John apparently needs mental help, professional pinball help, addictions help, and medical help.

You forgot financial help.

My local bar has on street entertainment

pulling out all the stops to create awareness for his project among halifax locals, 'GWJ and the Boys' rehearse for an upcoming fundraiser.

#4015 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

My next thing is working on an artist for the game with John.
    Who could that be? How much?

A “pinball artist” will charge you YOUR WHOLE BUDGET just for the art package for this pin.

It’s a shit load of work. People don’t know how time consuming it is.

rd

#4016 1 year ago

that episode of tpf could also interview GWJ and find out what The Plan is and whether GWJ is really on track, as claimed. Also how does the plan sound? That show would get a bunch of listens and call-ins too.

Imagining Ice and GWJ each on dueling couches in therapy over zoom with their Guide and Doctor, Zach. Dennis K is an online Confidant who keeps things real and serves up tough love and biting criticism when needed. Have you lost your minds, gentlemen?

#4017 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

A “pinball artist” will charge you YOUR WHOLE BUDGET just for the art package for this pin.
    rd

Yeah, but think about the exposure they will get!
    The artist should really have to pay to be associated with this career making masterpiece.

#4018 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

The artist should really have to pay to be associated with this career making masterpiece.

It could be a career ender.

rd

#4019 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

artists will be slaughtering one another in the streets for the sweet exposure coming their way from this project.

#4020 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Yup it's 10-20k easily for anyone worth a damn. Unless you find someone who LOOOOOVES the theme and works super cheap... haha good luck with this theme.

Plus any license, even Trailer Park Boys, would have been 20k down + $30-$80 per unit + oh wait you're not selling enough to make this worth our time CLICK goes the phone.

#4021 1 year ago

I am sure a lot of things will change over the course of this phantom project, sans realistic - timeline, budget nor plan. Why up to a day ago, nobody knew the programmer. The programmer wished to do it and he was #1 person on earth to learn about it. I was the #2 person on earth to learn it, after following the beer bottle trail and making a wag. That chapter of the story was breaking in front of your eyes. And it was reported HERE first. We scooped Kaneda, Knapp’s Arcade, TWIP and Craig Bobbie. Snooze you lose, fellas.

The story continues … GWJ was the #3 person on earth to learn of the programmer. That’s right, he sobered up one day and said he’d be using the crazy bastard for programming, after all. So what will the prolog to this feel good story bring? I got nothing.

#4022 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am sure a lot of things will change over the course of this phantom project, sans realistic - timeline, budget nor plan. Why up to a day ago, nobody knew the programmer. The programmer wished to do it and he was #1 person on earth to learn about it. I was the #2 person on earth to learn it, after following the beer bottle trail and making a wag. That chapter of the story was breaking in front of your eyes. And it was reported HERE first. We scooped Kaneda, Knapp’s Arcade, TWIP and Craig Bobbie.
    The story continues … GWJ was the #3 person on earth to learn of the programmer. That’s right, he sobered up one day and said he’d be using the crazy bastard after all. So what will the prolog to this feel good story bring? I got nothing.

Wait, serious question: who is the programmer?

#4023 1 year ago

I’ll take a wag and guess Andrew Harper for programmer. No idea who he is but that’s where the beer bottles ended.

… My buddy Andrew Harper is not a coder, but that was a good guess by following the beer trail. The coder hardly drinks anything over all the years, & was with me at Pintastic Show. That might get a correct answer.

Who even knows what it means? It’s day old news and subject to change. We learn earlier AH was a triple-fister with beer. As for applicable experience and programming skills? :yawn I’m sure there are many other local programming resources willing to work for free exposure.

#4024 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Best options for the project? I have a couple in mind and a few outside of pinball.

#4025 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Best options for the project? I have a couple in mind and a few outside of pinball.

Someone who won’t charge you $10,000 and take your whole budget.

rd

#4026 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Someone who won’t charge you $10,000 and take your whole budget.
    rd

Big help Rd,

Anyone else want to chime in here or send me a pm?

#4027 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Big help Rd,
    Anyone else want to chime in here or send me a pm?

The budget never made any sense whatsoever. The notion that one custom machine can be done for 10k is ludicrous. The only reason it has even gotten this far is that the designer is working for free and gave the project a free design. How can custom work be completed for under 10k unless everyone is working for free. So my advice is similar to rd. Find someone who will basically work for free. Maybe an art student who needs a school project?

#4028 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:Find someone who will basically work for free. Maybe an art student who needs a school project?

https://finearts.utexas.edu/

#4029 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Maybe an art student who needs a school project?

Yep, that’s the answer.

If you want to stick to your $10k budget.

By the time you buy all the running gear (at full retail, posting every item individually to Canada..) and playfield, cabinet, etc etc, that’s half your $10k gone already.

Doesn’t leave much left for anything else.

The problem with a student - you’ll have to teach them “pinball” and you only have a month or two to do it.

rd

#4030 1 year ago

Some good ideas via Pm, thx guys!

The “budget” is just a starting point. Who knows where it will end up.

#4031 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

We are living in the future. Why deal with expensive humans when you can have free AI do the work for you?

craiyon_232610_sketch_a_bunch_of_redneck_cowboys_sitting_at_a_bar_and_drinking_cheap_canadian_beer (resized).pngcraiyon_232610_sketch_a_bunch_of_redneck_cowboys_sitting_at_a_bar_and_drinking_cheap_canadian_beer (resized).png
    #4032 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobF:

We are living in the future. Why deal with expensive humans when you can have free AI do the work for you?
    [quoted image]

Attempting this with DALL·E 2

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.50.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.50.22 PM (resized).png

Heaven help this project if it costs me my DALL·E 2 access.

Attempt #2: Same prompt, minus 'redneck'

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.00.17 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.00.17 PM (resized).png

Attempt #3: Apparently even this A.I. is not yet intelligent enough to understand jpop's magic

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.57.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.57.21 PM (resized).png

DALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.03 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.03 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.08 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.08 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.11 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.11 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.16 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiukDALL·E 2022-08-24 20.58.16 - a bunch of cowboys sitting at a bar and drinking cheap canadian beer, in the style of john popadiuk
    #4033 1 year ago

Attempt #3: Apparently even this A.I. is not yet intelligent enough to understand jpop's magic

Add "purple" to prompt.

#4034 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The “budget” is just a starting point. Who knows where it will end up.

Dude - don’t sink more than $10k into this.

$10k - hard limit.

Not one dollar more.

With a lot of hard work and some help from my friends, I built this for like $2000 US bucks.

And it’s awesome!!

rd
    3B8BBE78-292E-44EC-8FE2-540C8F553183 (resized).jpeg3B8BBE78-292E-44EC-8FE2-540C8F553183 (resized).jpegF2736D19-62C4-4C7A-88E7-F77FB6C0EDEE (resized).jpegF2736D19-62C4-4C7A-88E7-F77FB6C0EDEE (resized).jpeg

#4035 1 year ago

I am sure a lot of things will change over the course of this phantom project, sans realistic - timeline, budget nor plan. Why up to a day ago, nobody knew the programmer. The programmer wished to do it and he was #1 person on earth to learn about it. I was the #2 person on earth to learn it, after following the beer bottle trail and making a wag. That chapter of the story was breaking in front of your eyes. And it was reported HERE first. We scooped Kaneda, Knapp’s Arcade, TWIP and Craig Bobbie. Snooze you lose, fellas.
    The story continues … GWJ was the #3 person on earth to learn of the programmer. That’s right, he sobered up one day and said he’d be using the crazy bastard for programming, after all. So what will the prolog to this feel good story bring? I got nothing.

Still do not know what you guys are talking about who the programmer is. Just another day in the week before the build gets started.

More basic parts ordered from Pinball Life

#4036 1 year ago

I usually donate but most people know about the personal bankruptcy & other financial burdens from winding down my past pinball business. Along with my early retirement after health issues from working 6 days a week for the city. Still have some health problems but I feel way better now. Getting in & out of a F-250 for 10 years was brutal. My right hip is better, likely need surgery, & might need surgery on my other foot (left). Lost some feeling in my right foot after surgery. Taking it easy tonight after my morning spill.
    I will meet with a new cnc contractor for the cabinet in the fall.

So you didn't donate to Pinside because all of these reasons? Couldn't you just skip a day or two of drinking...seems like that would cover it.

#4037 1 year ago

There's a podcast with some pie crust or burnt toast in it. Its a bit over 2 hours long I'm told, and none of us want to spend that much time to listen for the programmers name or the surrounding conversation.

If someone can post a link to the correct podcast, I'm willing to Time Share some listening energy.

If we can get 4 people to agree to 30 minutes segments, we could divide them and knock it our fairly quickly. I'll take minutes 0-30, someone else can take minutes 30-60, then 60-90 and finally someone at 90-120. And if only one person agrees and you guys want to punish me, I'll do the first hour and they can do the last.

Any podcast over an hour I tend to skip entirely and it boggles my mind why more of them don't understand that.

I'm kinda embarrassed to make this suggestion but my attention span is only about 15 minutes for such things. And its even less with podcasters who prattle on about their personal lives, subliminal advertisements or whatever off-road stream of consciousness they get stuck in.

#4038 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

There's a podcast with some pie crust or burnt toast in it. Its a bit over 2 hours long I'm told, and none of us want to spend that much time to listen for the programmers name or the surrounding conversation.
    If someone can post a link to the correct podcast, I'm willing to Time Share some listening energy.
    If we can get 4 people to agree to 30 minutes segments, we could divide them and knock it our fairly quickly. I'll take minutes 0-30, someone else can take minutes 30-60, then 60-90 and finally someone at 90-120. And if only one person agrees and you guys want to punish me, I'll do the first hour and they can do the last.
    Any podcast over an hour I tend to skip entirely and it boggles my mind why more of them don't understand that.
    I'm kinda embarrassed to make this suggestion but my attention span is only about 15 minutes for such things. And its even less with podcasters who prattle on about their personal lives, subliminal advertisements or whatever off-road stream of consciousness they get stuck in.

what's the podcast? You can just dump it on some websites that will generate a transcript. Then CTRL + F a bit

#4039 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

what's the podcast? You can just dump it on some websites that will generate a transcript. Then CTRL + F a bit

Fantastic if you can do that.
    I don't know what the podcast is. GWJ just says its out there with guest Orbital Albert and it has a high carb desert in it.

As for the programmer that has not changed, & there was a bread crumb of the person in Orbital Alberts podcast. .

#4041 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

If we can get 4 people to agree to 30 minutes segments, we could divide them and knock it our fairly quickly.

We may lose 4 pinside members if this happens.

Like I said, I tried to listen. But the "that's what she said" type of banter just makes me want to vomit on my cat.

#4042 1 year ago

Even reading the transcript was a slog. Orbital was on board if it was TPB and would have worked on it. Now it's not, so he's out. Not sure what I was supposed to learn from that.

#4043 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Even reading the transcript was a slog. Orbital was on board if it was TPB and would have worked on it. Now it's not, so he's out. Not sure what I was supposed to learn from that.

What should be learned? Listen to Beechwood's warning.

#4044 1 year ago

There is the breadcrumb in that podcast, the person is named, & it was never going to be Orbital Albert. People know I do not do weed, just like to drink beer.

#4045 1 year ago

There is the breadcrumb in that podcast

Ugh. I listened and didn't find any breadcrumbs, only a coffee promo at the end.

Should I go back and instead look for dust bunnies?

#4046 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Yup it's 10-20k easily for anyone worth a damn. Unless you find someone who LOOOOOVES the theme and works super cheap... haha good luck with this theme.
    Plus any license, even Trailer Park Boys, would have been 20k down + $30-$80 per unit + oh wait you're not selling enough to make this worth our time CLICK goes the phone.

Ben I did not even get a phone call. Just the C & D to not contact them again or the boys.

#4047 1 year ago

I got John to cave a little. Here is the Trailer Trash programmer.
    Thanks John.

https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=22228

#4048 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I got John to cave a little. Here is the Trailer Trash programmer
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=22228

Awesome. Best of luck to him.

#4049 1 year ago

Yeah, I also tried dalle2 and got the same content use warning for the term "redneck". At first I thought it was for"Canadian" beer ha. Man even AI is super sensitive these days.

#4050 1 year ago
    Quoted from RobF:

Yeah, I also tried dalle2 and got the same content use warning for the term "redneck". At first I thought it was for"Canadian" beer ha. Man even AI is super sensitive these days.

Put in "Dead Hooker" and see what happens.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/81?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.