Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 213.
    #3951 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

By most (all?) medical definitions, 9 beers in a session is binge drinking. Drinking over 14 in a week is considered heavy alcohol use (or 5 binge sessions in a month, which is 5 or more beers in a session)
    But hey, he's living his best life. No judgement.

I know what the guidelines say but it's subjective. 14 beers a week is considered light drinking. So how 15 beers a week goes from light drinking to heavy drinking? This is just incorrect. 3 beers a day is considered light to moderate drinking, so that would be 21 in a week and still not heavy drinking.
    I personally am a weekend binger I'll admit that, but don't drink M-T, just Friday Saturday and moderate hair of the dog on Sunday. In Britain, 3 beers a day and up to 21 a week are considered light drinking. So I'm going on the British system. And when I do drink I usually drive on the left hand side, so I must be British mate! Ok never drive drunk! Back to the regularly scheduled program. Oh and beer count last 2 days 0.

Never mind put the spotlight back on Captain John. This is his ship!

#3952 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I posted about this in the Deeproot thread. Some people thought I was joking while many others were absolutely appalled.
    I would love to make a "Dead Hooker" game. I even found artwork to begin with.

That's quite the morbid theme? That's about as tasteful as having dinner with Jeffrey Dahmer.

#3953 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

3 beers a day is considered light to moderate drinking, so that would be 21 in a week and still not heavy drinking

I think you need to look at those guidelines again. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking#:~:text=NIAAA%20defines%20heavy%20drinking%20as,than%207%20drinks%20per%20week

#3954 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I know what the guidelines say but it's subjective. 14 beers a week is considered light drinking. So how 15 beers a week goes from light drinking to heavy drinking? This is just incorrect. 3 beers a day is considered light to moderate drinking, so that would be 21 in a week and still not heavy drinking.
    I personally am a weekend binger I'll admit that, but don't drink M-T, just Friday Saturday and moderate hair of the dog on Sunday. In Britain, 3 beers a day and up to 21 a week are considered light drinking. So I'm going on the British system. And when I do drink I usually drive on the left hand side, so I must be British mate! Ok never drive drunk! Back to the regularly scheduled program. Oh and beer count last to days 0.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking

#3956 1 year ago

I have a beer tapper fridge in my basement. I might have a beer a day, and on weekends(Fri & Sat) 4 to 6 total for both days. Sunday, I do not drink. Sundays I stay clean because I have a business to run on Monday. That's completely being in control of my imbibing.

#3957 1 year ago

This is how I met my wife.

Ahhh good times...

mmw (resized).jpgmmw (resized).jpg
    #3958 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That's quite the morbid theme? That's about as tasteful as having dinner with Jeffrey Dahmer.

There are established expressions that go with the theme. Campy dark humor. They even made a move called, Dead Hooker in the trunk. That's what I'd be going for.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3959 1 year ago

For the smart ass comments to follow, yes. The high heel boots hurt my feet.

#3960 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Ok you're right, I'm wrong. Thanks!

It's not that anyone is right or wrong, this is what our medical doctors and government have decided are the guidelines for alcohol abuse. Your personal experience may vary.

#3961 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

This is how I met my wife.
    Ahhh good times...
    [quoted image]

Your wife was a dead hooker???

#3962 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have a beer tapper fridge in my basement. I might have a beer a day, and on weekends(Fri & Sat) 4 to 6 total for both days. Sunday, I do not drink. Sundays I stay clean because I have a business to run on Monday. That's completely being in control of my imbibing.

You're a heavy alcohol user. But that doesn't necessarily mean you're an alcoholic. That has its own criteria.

My wife is a teetotaling doctor. I've had to hear a lot about the criteria for light/heavy drinking, abuse, and alcoholism...

To be fair, I was a high functioning alcoholic years ago. Hardly drink anymore now. Smoke too much pot though. One vice in exchange for another I suppose.

#3963 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

It's not that anyone is right or wrong, this is what our medical doctors and government have decided are the guidelines for alcohol abuse. Your personal experience may vary.

My response was a bit snarky so I apologize for that. You were in fact correct though checking back on the guidelines.
    They medical authorities do have to be real about the possible consequences of course I get that too. And yes as you said everyone's different and we all have our life to run on our own terms, and our own tolerances of what we can do and still stay healthy. It is good to keep the ship from sinking though!

#3964 1 year ago

The only thing I got from this thread is that it depends what part of the world you live in that makes you an alcoholic

#3965 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Your wife was a dead hooker???

No. She helped me hide the body. Been together ever since.

#3966 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

You're a heavy alcohol user. But that doesn't necessarily mean you're an alcoholic. That has its own criteria.
    My wife is a teetotaling doctor. I've had to hear a lot about the criteria for light/heavy drinking, abuse, and alcoholism...
    To be fair, I was a high functioning alcoholic years ago. Hardly drink anymore now. Smoke too much pot though. One vice in exchange for another I suppose.

How am I a heavy drinker? I have 8 to 10 drinks in a week, tops, spread over 6 days.

#3967 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:You're a heavy alcohol user.

How do you know how much vdojaq weighs?

#3968 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

How am I a heavy drinker? I have 8 to 10 drinks in a week, tops, spread over 6 days.

I think he was responding to someone else, oops no I see he WAS talking to you.
    I agree your drinking sounds pretty moderate. It does seem he may have responded to the wrong post though

#3969 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I read your weekend count wrong. I thought you mean 4-6 each day of the weekend, not 4-6 total over two days. I was mistaken

Quoted from Beechwood:

How do you know how much vdojaq weighs?

That has no effect on the definition. It affects how he tolerates alcohol consumption, not if he is medically considered a non/light/heavy drinker when a doctor is evaluating him.

#3970 1 year ago

Not sure why this is being debated, the guidelines for alcohol intake haven’t changed recently as far as I know. It’s always been 2 drinks or less per day for men and 1-2 drinks per day for women. Anything more than that is considered excessive drinking.

#3971 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Not sure why this is being debated, the guidelines for alcohol intake haven’t changed recently as far as I know. It’s always been 2 drinks or less per day for men and 1-2 drinks per day for women. Anything more than that is considered excessive drinking.

Yeah.. but you're failing to convert from USD to CAD

#3972 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That has no effect on the definition. It affects how he tolerates alcohol consumption, not if he is medically considered a non/light/heavy drinker when a doctor is evaluating him.

You said he's a heavy alcohol user. I think you meant he uses alcohol heavily

#3973 1 year ago

Heavy drinker? how do you know how much he weighs? it was a joke people, play on words, don't you get it? Duh...

#3974 1 year ago

What about drinks with umbrellas in them? Is that a counting loophole I can use?

#3975 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I would love to make a "Dead Hooker" game.

This is the type of statement that could benefit from some explanatory details.

#3976 1 year ago

That reminds me of a joke an electrician told me at work the other day.
    He says, “Whats the difference between a dead hooker and a Lamborghini?”
    The punch line: “I dont have a Lamborghini in my garage.”

#3977 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

This is the type of statement that could benefit from some explanatory details.

You'll need a warrant.

#3978 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

That reminds me of a joke an electrician told me at work the other day.
    He says, “Whats the difference between a dead hooker and a Lamborghini?”
    The punch line: “I dont have a Lamborghini in my garage.”

See, this is what I'm talking about. Dark Humor.

https://worstjokesever.com/dead-hooker

#3979 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

See, this is what I'm talking about. Dark Humor.
    https://worstjokesever.com/dead-hooker

In my edgelord days these were dead baby jokes. Pretty much all the exact same setup and punchlines.

#3980 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Had 9 beers today. A good relaxation day.

Might be time to have a think about your health.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/high-functioning-alcoholic

“What Are the Signs I’m a Functioning Alcholic?

What is heavy drinking? For women, it’s having more than three drinks a day or seven a week. For men, it's four or more per day or 14 a week. If you drink more than the daily or weekly limit, you’re at risk.”

Take care champ.

rd

<edit> I posted “mid thread catch up”. Looks like multiple people had the same thoughts while reading the thread. Hey - I can slam back beers with the best of them. But not 50 a week …

#3981 1 year ago

Someone mentioned how drinking is viewed differently in Europe and it made me curious. I found this alcohol consumption guideline put out by the English government. This does look more accepting compared to how we view it in the states, as someone who is considered a heavy binge drinker here (>4 units/day or 14 units in a week) could score a 5 on the England scale.

Keep in mind their point of reference is 1/2 imperial pint = 9.6oz(US) of 3.8% beer = 1.1 unit.

So a typical 12oz 5% beer = 1.8 units.
    Alcohol Guidelines UK (resized).PNGAlcohol Guidelines UK (resized).PNG

#3982 1 year ago

What in the hell are you talking about, my wife drinks once a day!

one a day (resized).jpgone a day (resized).jpg
    #3983 1 year ago
    i can count (resized).jpgi can count (resized).jpg
    #3984 1 year ago

I married a FDS woman. Fat, drunk and stupid.

#3985 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Someone mentioned how drinking is viewed differently in Europe and it made me curious. I found this alcohol consumption guideline put out by the English government. This does look more accepting compared to how we view it in the states, as someone who is considered a heavy binge drinker here (>4 units/day or 14 units in a week) could score a 5 on the England scale.
    Keep in mind their point of reference is 1/2 imperial pint = 9.6oz(US) of 3.8% beer = 1.1 unit.
    So a typical 12oz 5% beer = 1.8 units.
    [quoted image]

I figure I’m in the 6-7 range.

Drink 1 or 2 times a week.

Beer 98% of the time.

Michelob Ultra for the carb count mostly. Like drinking water?

Coronas, Love Street, Hoppadillo and various IPAs for a change of pace.

I’m 6-3, 215 pds

#3986 1 year ago

According to all these charts and guidelines, I drink way more than I should. All beer.

5'11" 165 lbs. (US)

#3987 1 year ago

As for this thread and project I don’t see why we wouldn’t continue to have fun with it for the next six months.

Contrary to what some might believe I’m not doing this “out of spite” to Ben or anyone else.

Don’t need or care about the attention. I do like hanging out and seeing what happens.

#1 I like John and his attitude. And I like the “underdog”

I think he’s being underestimated in what he and his crew can accomplish. I get the skepticism, they say “pinball is hard”.

No need to make any more out of this than it really is, just a fun pinball project.

My next thing is working on an artist for the game with John.

Who could that be? How much?

#3988 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yep, no question on Coach firing the manager of the team if it doesn’t perform. He won’t let this fail. In fact much like Jerry Jones wouldn’t be surprised to see him come down from the penthouse booth to the sidelines, relegating GWJ to water boy (beer boy ?)

Odds that Iceman Jones pursues a hot free agent replacement and pulls the plug midseason on GWJ for RM?

#3989 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

According to all these charts and guidelines, I drink way more than I should. All beer.
    5'11" 165 lbs. (US)

These charts are BS! Can you imagine if a public health advisory set much higher numbers? Call me skeptical.

Can we make up for years that we didn’t drink?

#3990 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

These charts are BS! Can you imagine if a public health advisory set much higher numbers? Call me skeptical.
    Can we make up for years that we didn’t drink?

My Dr asks how much I drink. I always respond "I'm Joe six pack".

He seems confused and asks what that means. I tell him to Google it. Life's to short not to enjoy.

#3991 1 year ago

Went out & got myself some new shoes from the discount store "Winners". I will blame my accident on my worn out ones, & they went into the trash. Had 2 beers at my local this afternoon.

Yes people always seem to under estimate what can be done by myself with contractors & vendors the last 15 years. Some of my ideas in the past towards uv inkjet production was called out. But I was proven right on that one. Same with being one of the smallest doing new playfields & backglass. The playfield production & who does them is a very select group, if your not into mass production.

Like I say enjoying the last week before the build gets underway.

#3992 1 year ago

Why are you waiting a week? Why did you wait all of August?

Nobody else is coming on board. Get to work.

#3993 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Like I say enjoying the last week before the build gets underway.

Like I said and many others......what in all fuck are you waiting for????

Oh yeah, your schedule. God forbid you get a jump on things.

#3994 1 year ago

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink (because it wants beer, not what fish fuck in)

Can’t help people who don’t want help

What I wonder is what John is going to do for months after he builds a white wood and gives it to a coder. Well actually I know what he’ll do to spend the time…. so nevermind!

#3995 1 year ago

Don’t worry fellas, any delays will just be blamed on supply chain issues relating to the pandemic. It will not be johns fault.

Seriously though, get your butt going John. You got your mini investor, get cracking. You wanted this, I would think you would be thrilled to start the project and prove pinside wrong.

Cheers,

C.

#3996 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Why are you waiting a week? Why did you wait all of August?
    Nobody else is coming on board. Get to work.

for some reason Ice has through end of Sep to request rules and lock down theme. I repeat, to lock down theme.

#3997 1 year ago

benheck please change your avatar picture! YOU ARE the voice of reason, your pedigree is incredible but everytime I see your pic you look like a… « R » word

You are ready for a change!
    PS; Im canadian so assume I’m drunk

#3998 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Hey John
    I noticed the gray heart in your profile and made a donation to Pinside in your name. Its good for a year and there are some extra forum benefits to being a member here.

So that explains it.

When I saw John's heart was red I thought his conscious finally kicked in for using Robin's website for promotion all this time without donating a few bucks of his beer money.

I should have known better.

#3999 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Like I said and many others......what in all fuck are you waiting for????
    Oh yeah, your schedule. God forbid you get a jump on things.

I actually get why John won't start early. His plan is enjoy summer, get his ideas together and then come Sept 1, buckle down and get to it.

I can't do that myself the way I'm wired, I have to hit that shit hard or I go crazy. Any extra minute could be spent getting to that goal. But he's not wired that way, and that's ok.

Does it drive me nuts? Yes. But it's his project. TPF or bust.

Get ready John, your marathon is going to be a 6 month Sprint! Good thing you got those new shoes.

#4000 1 year ago
    Quoted from ElectricLou:

benheck please change your avatar picture! YOU ARE the voice of reason, your pedigree is incredible but everytime I see your pic you look like a… « R » word
    You are ready for a change!
    PS; Im canadian so assume I’m drunk

That photo was taken at MGC many years ago. I was tweaking pinball code AT THE SHOW and double-fisting beers.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.